PDA

View Full Version : Summer Rides

shooter
04-09-2015, 08:27 AM
OK guys tell us about your big summer rides you have planned. Not the trip to the local watering hole but a significant ride. For myself the wife and I have a log cabin rented in Branson and we are going to trailer the B down. We are going to use the cabin as a base and take day trips. One day down into Eureka Springs Arkansas and spend the night there. I have GPS on the bike so any road that looks good is fair game. Another ride that is close to my house is MO Hwy 106 from Ellington to Houston. My son called me about it the other night. Listed as one of the top motorcycle roads in MO. I think its only about 60 miles long but lots of curves. Its about 75 miles from my house. So tell us about your rides.

Limoles
04-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Do not forget to take SUMMER WINE with you ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OEron4rXfk

wantone
04-09-2015, 09:29 AM
I'll be going with a frnd to Sturgis July 22-29. Will be in Sturgis 1 week before the main event. Ride to Old Faithful and other things to do there are being planned.

Old Ryder
04-09-2015, 09:34 AM
1- My annual 5 day trip to the Smokies Memorial Day weekend
2- The week of July 4th, my buddy and I do a week long trip--this year we are thinking upstate New York and Western Penn, Maryland, West Va.
3- Labor Day Weekend-5 days while I meet all my new riding buddies in Franklin, NC.

Other than that, my rallies include fall Myrtle Beach and April 28-29 at the Outer Banks.

shooter
04-09-2015, 10:18 AM
I would like to do the 1 week early Sturgis thing one time Want one. And that Smokies trip sounds pretty good too Old.

sshake1905
04-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Since 2010, I have been able to ride 10 to 12 K each summer, mostly in the Pacific NW region...this year I plan to do more of the same....revisiting several areas I haven't been back to in 3 or 4 years
I start all rides from Caldwell, 20 miles west of Boise Idaho on I - 84

May 2015 4 days/1000 miles- southern Oregon Desert ride....Burns, Bend, Klamath Falls, Lakeview

May 2015 5 days/1300 miles- central Oregon spring ride....Baker City, John Day, Fossil, Prineville, Madras, Heppner, La Grande, Hells Canyon area of Snake River...

June 2015 6 days/1700miles- Crater Lake NP and northern California Redwoods ride ...Bend, Crater Lake, Roseburg, Coos Bay, Crescent City, Arcata, Willow Creek, Happy Camp, Yreka, Weaverville, Lassen Volcanic NP, Alturas, Lakeview

June 2015 3 days/800miles- central Idaho and Sun Valley...Stanley, Sawtooths N Rec Area, Salmon, Arco, Craters of the Moon NMon, Sun Valley and home

July 2015 6 days/1600miles ...northern Oregon Coast ride...Bend, Sisters, Sweet Home, Florence, waldport, Newport, Lincoln City, Tillamook, Cannon Beach, Astoria, Pacific City, Philomath, Eugene, Oakridge, Newberry Craters N Mon, Burns and home

August 2015 6 days/1700miles....Montana/Big Sky ride...Grangeville, US12 Lolo Trail to Missoula, Ravalli, Thompson Falls, Libby, Kalispell, Glacier N P, Browning, Choteau, Helena, Avon, Anaconda, Wise River, Wisdom, Salmon, Stanley and home

Sept 2015 3 days/800miles...infamous Rattlesnake Grade loop...Baker city, La Grande, Enterprise. Clarkston, Pomeroy, Dusty, Colfax, Potlatch, Kendrick, Orofino and home

Sept 2015 7 days/2000miles....British Columbia Canada trip....Nelson, Castlegar, New Denver, Nakusp, Revelstoke, Sicamous, Vernon, Needles, Kaslo, Balfour, Grand Forks, Osoyoos, Republic WA...Kettle Falls, Spokane, Lewiston, Orofino and home

Most of my riding is in Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming and Northern California because Idaho roads are in terrible condition constantly....and many secondary and backroads are not paved...

bobbyf6b
04-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Since 2010, I have been able to ride 10 to 12 K each summer, mostly in the Pacific NW region...this year I plan to do more of the same....revisiting several areas I haven't been back to in 3 or 4 years

I just went through Caldwell and Boise on my way back to Phoenix. :039:

valkmc
04-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Not sure this summer. I am a school teacher so I have 10 weeks off in the summer. I normally spend some of that time taking a trip on the bike depending on other obligations. That is why my map is filled in except for two states, Idaho and Hawaii. I have also hit most of Canada except the New Brunswick Nova Scotia areas.

I have not been to the keys in many years so I am thinking about a trip to Key West, maybe Camping at Bahia Honda for a few days before going to Key West. Not sure as of yet.

bobbyf6b
04-09-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm still working on getting enough time off to ride to Franklin. That will be my Sturgis!

RLatt
04-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Colorado in June, starting at Ft. Collins - criss cross the state, and home - 10 days total. :icon_cool:

shooter
04-09-2015, 12:51 PM
I don't know about you guys but I want a riding schedule like shake. Man I am officially jealous.

Fla_rider
04-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Shooter 75 miles isn't a trip? Unless your backpacking! :jerkit:

Trip One - Tampa, Fl to Torrington, Ct. 1250 miles one way. Week before July 4th. :icon_smflag:

Trip two - F6B Rally from Tampa, Fl to Franklin, NC and back. About 1700 miles. Week of Labor Day. 'riding'

miramiramira
04-09-2015, 01:34 PM
I’ll be doing the Colorado Classic 1000 in June (http://bmwmcc.org/colorado_classic_1000.php), then up to Boulder for a day or two and then wandering the Southwest for the rest of that week. I’ve got a hankering to walk across the London Bridge, so I’ll probably make it to Lake Havasu City before I point it home.

In July, my wife and I are planning a Great Plains/Rockies trip. Lubbock, TX to Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monument to Little Bighorn and from there wandering back down through Wyoming and Colorado before heading home. At least 2,600 miles for that trip.

I’m sure there will be other long weekend trips over the summer, just don’t know what yet.

I may go to Springerville, AZ this weekend but since it’s not yet summer, I guess that one doesn’t count ;-)

Surfndad
04-09-2015, 01:39 PM
One of the trips the wife and I will be going on is to the Oceana city Bike week in Maryland. 150 miles 3 hrs. three day trip

sshake1905
04-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Hey shooter....thanks for the kudos on the summer trip schedules....I spent 31 years teaching geography in public schools, so the somewhat "anal" schedule details were built in over the years...
at least that is what my wife says...:yikes:

Have about 5 or 6 others that I ride with...all Honda GLs or older Valkries and Harleys...evenly divided....and all retired....so we can do the miles each summer...:yes:

For some reason, they let me have fun planning all these rides each spring and come along for the rides...if schedules work out....We have a great time, but as we all grow older...average daily distance covered has slipped to below 300 miles....more frequent stops, older butts, wives along on some of shorter ones....just sayin:shrug:

Shaker

FlaMike
04-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Gonna spend bout a week riding Virginia & W Virginia, Skyline Drive, Claw of Dragon, etc, around Mid June.

shooter
04-09-2015, 02:47 PM
Shaker it sounds like a blast. Wish I could join you.

shooter
04-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Shooter 75 miles isn't a trip? Unless your backpacking! :jerkit:

Trip One - Tampa, Fl to Torrington, Ct. 1250 miles one way. Week before July 4th. :icon_smflag:

Trip two - F6B Rally from Tampa, Fl to Franklin, NC and back. About 1700 miles. Week of Labor Day. 'riding'

Let me clarify. Its about 75 mikes to get to the road they say is so good. And then that's another 60 to 75 miles. By the time I take at least three wrong turns and stop for sustenance I may have to get a room. And stop bragging John. Some of us actually have to work for a living. I haven't had a full week off in over 20 years.:joke:

Riknchar
04-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Heading to the Lake of the Ozarks in June (400 miles each way). Will be riding alongside my 83 year-old dad, who looks great on his 2008 Yamaha FJR1300! Hope I'm still riding when I'm his age! He downsized from a Goldwing just last year. I've been trying to talk him into an F6B, but he's worried that it would be too heavy for him.

We've been riding together for many years, and I hope we can keep going for a few more...

shooter
04-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Thats neat Rik. You and your Dad. It don't get any better than that. And 83 , WHEW!!! That's a tough act to follow. Congrats to you and your Dad. I hope my son can tell that story about me someday.

Travelor
04-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Annual trip from Crystal Lake, Il to Ocean City, NJ with wife. 5 -6 days, total with side trips about 2100 miles. Usually go via Rochester, NY, down PA Trnpk through Poconos, and then through Phila. Some years via Lexington, Roanoke, Newport News and Lewes-Cape May ferry.

3-4 days to Traverse City, Mi and Mission Penninsula for wine tasting.

Planning on trailering to Cape Coral in December, and then maybe trailering to Sedona in Feb.

F6B1911
04-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Detroit to Franklin for the Rally
Detroit to the U.P. for some camping and fishing
Detroit to Duluth, MN (need an Aerostitch replacement)
Ohio Bike Week
Numerous trips to Ohio (there's no Waffle House's in Michigan and any excuse to ride off of Michigan roads)

.... and whatever I can squeeze in based on work schedule

Damn, I need to retire!

ISLANDER1089
04-09-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm turning 68, retired and single so every year I take a month, sometimes two, and go somewhere on my bike. In late June I will depart and head east to Maine and explore the New England area. My daughter lives in New York so I will visit her and then head down the east coast to Florida and out to Key West. My return trip will take me more inland to cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway and ultimately cross into Canada at Niagara Falls and home.
My past trips can be viewed at: monetbridge.blogspot.ca

Sorcerer
04-09-2015, 09:48 PM
Leaving April 15. Day 1 Minneapolis MN to Cincinati OH, 770 miles. Visit family. April 18, Cincinati to Branson MO, 650 miles. Will base out of Branson for a week. Day tripping into Arkinsaw. This year I'm going to try and not drag the front crash bar again.

shooter
04-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Sorcerer , my son lives in Cincy. I will be there on the 18th. Its my birthday. Enjoy your trip brother.

Sorcerer
04-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Sorcerer , my son lives in Cincy. I will be there on the 18th. Its my birthday. Enjoy your trip brother.

If all works as planned it will be a 6:00 am leave from Cincinati. Happy early birthday.

Razco53
05-06-2015, 03:03 PM
July 25&26 in Rapid City (riding the Hills)
27th Over the Big Horn Mts Stay in Riverton Wy
28th off to Jackson Hole/ Teton Mts.
29th up thru west side of Yellowstone to Garnier Mt.
30th Back thru East side to Cody
31st Back to Rapid City

Lots of time to play......

Tunes
05-06-2015, 03:32 PM
So far I am going to Sturgis for the rally the first week of Aug. I'm sure I will get alot of riding in out there. Just starting to plan out all the day trips I will be making while there. Will be staying in Spearfish. Hope to see some fellow F6B riders out there while I'm there

Mastergunny
05-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Leaving Ridgecrest CA on the 30th of June and heading for Bloomington, IN. VIA I-15 to I-70 to Grand Junction, then 50 Hwy down through Gunnison, over to Colo Springs, back on I-70 the rest of the way to Indiana. 3 days and 2089 miles.

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-06-2015, 04:44 PM

May 2015 4 days/1000 miles- southern Oregon Desert ride....Burns, Bend, Klamath Falls, Lakeview

May 2015 5 days/1300 miles- central Oregon spring ride....Baker City, John Day, Fossil, Prineville, Madras, Heppner, La Grande, Hells Canyon area of Snake River...

June 2015 6 days/1700miles- Crater Lake NP and northern California Redwoods ride ...Bend, Crater Lake, Roseburg, Coos Bay, Crescent City, Arcata, Willow Creek, Happy Camp, Yreka, Weaverville, Lassen Volcanic NP, Alturas, Lakeview

June 2015 3 days/800miles- central Idaho and Sun Valley...Stanley, Sawtooths N Rec Area, Salmon, Arco, Craters of the Moon NMon, Sun Valley and home

July 2015 6 days/1600miles ...northern Oregon Coast ride...Bend, Sisters, Sweet Home, Florence, waldport, Newport, Lincoln City, Tillamook, Cannon Beach, Astoria, Pacific City, Philomath, Eugene, Oakridge, Newberry Craters N Mon, Burns and home

August 2015 6 days/1700miles....Montana/Big Sky ride...Grangeville, US12 Lolo Trail to Missoula, Ravalli, Thompson Falls, Libby, Kalispell, Glacier N P, Browning, Choteau, Helena, Avon, Anaconda, Wise River, Wisdom, Salmon, Stanley and home

Sept 2015 3 days/800miles...infamous Rattlesnake Grade loop...Baker city, La Grande, Enterprise. Clarkston, Pomeroy, Dusty, Colfax, Potlatch, Kendrick, Orofino and home

Sept 2015 7 days/2000miles....British Columbia Canada trip....Nelson, Castlegar, New Denver, Nakusp, Revelstoke, Sicamous, Vernon, Needles, Kaslo, Balfour, Grand Forks, Osoyoos, Republic WA...Kettle Falls, Spokane, Lewiston, Orofino and home

Most of my riding is in Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming and Northern California because Idaho roads are in terrible condition constantly....and many secondary and backroads are not paved...

Wow,
wish I could plan my life that far out.
Enjoy..
I'm in NW Oregon if you need anything.
J

choptop
05-06-2015, 06:15 PM
10 day, 3,000 trip, w/11 friends to Deadwood, Cody, West Yellowstone, a lot of Yellowstone Park and 2 days back to Minn/Wi, threw Montana and N Dakota. June 25 - July 4th.

Limoles
05-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Heading to the Lake of the Ozarks in June (400 miles each way). Will be riding alongside my 83 year-old dad, who looks great on his 2008 Yamaha FJR1300! Hope I'm still riding when I'm his age! He downsized from a Goldwing just last year. I've been trying to talk him into an F6B, but he's worried that it would be too heavy for him.

We've been riding together for many years, and I hope we can keep going for a few more...

If I had father at age of 83 , I'd buy him Kawi H2R , which is much lighter , than FJR and definitely GW . I'm sure , he could show us , what a real motorcycling is about . This guy could be a mentor for all of us . My regards for his heart and bravery !!!!!!

Limoles
05-06-2015, 06:37 PM
I'm turning 68, retired and single so every year I take a month, sometimes two, and go somewhere on my bike. In late June I will depart and head east to Maine and explore the New England area. My daughter lives in New York so I will visit her and then head down the east coast to Florida and out to Key West. My return trip will take me more inland to cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway and ultimately cross into Canada at Niagara Falls and home.
My past trips can be viewed at: monetbridge.blogspot.ca

Simply , marvelous plan .

srt8-in-largo
05-06-2015, 09:10 PM
I would like to be riding anywhere; my bike has been out of commission for a few weeks :icon_frown:

jm21ddd15
05-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Yup, was leaving Friday for the Ozarks, but the tornados in Texas and Nebraska, caused me to postpone for a week. Doesn't matter, I'm retired. Then a trip around Min and the U.P. Also doing Sturgis, arriving early. it will be more nuts than ever, being the 75th anniversity. That's about as far ahead as I will plan. Don't want to get in a "schedule". Rather just go when I feel it.

Fred6b
05-13-2015, 09:00 PM
13926Leaving for west coast May 22, first leg to Red Wing MN, then into South Dakota through Black Hills. Will spend a couple days in Yellowstone and work my way up to Washington State. Taking 101 down to San Francisco to visit my sister after a detour to Eugene, OR., to help my daughter move out of her dorm at U of O 2nd week of June. Looking for a few miles on return trip on Route 66 before deciding on final route home. Planning on a good month on the road and a lot of good weather but i"m not on a day by day schedule.

Fred6b
05-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Anyone interested on any legs of the trip i would be interested!

jm21ddd15
05-13-2015, 09:16 PM

Grafton is only about 40 minutes from Ft. Atkinson. I'm retired, so if it's not raining, I could ride to Red Wing with you. That's a nice ride. What time you planning to depart? Got a route picked yet?

jm21ddd15
05-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Well, I guess it 's more like an hour and a half. If your heading out on hwy 60, I could meet you in Columbus. That's just a straight shot north for me.

Limoles
05-13-2015, 09:50 PM
With my absence from May 27 - June 17 , I'll disarm all needle stackers , archers , shooters and armored bugs . No responses to any kind of threats . I'll be riding on the European tracks with my Valkyrie bodies . Our target : Parisian Girls . Inzane with all other attractions , included .

http://vrcc-france.com/inzane2015/index.html

Navvet
05-13-2015, 11:13 PM
My wife and I are packing up the "32ft Toyhauler" with the F6B and her Shadow and heading west on interstate 40. We may be gone 4 or 5 weeks, maybe 4 or 5 months.

We are going to Monument Valley, UT and spending a few days riding around there, then we will decide on our next stop.

Some of the places we would like to see include (in no particular order):

Mt Rainier National Park
White Sands National Monument, NM
Arches National Park
Avenue Of The Giants
Tetons
Zion National Park
Yosemite National Park
Yellowstone
Rocky Mountain National Park
Glacier Valley
Crater Lake National Park Oregon
Badlands National Park
Joshua Tree
Mount Rushmore (and maybe Sturgis if we are in the area in August)

'riding'

No schedule .....
No route ....
No time limit .....
No plans ......

Just seeing the sights from the bikes (with our own bathroom and bed at the end of the day).

We will continue until we get tired of it, and then head back home.

'trailering'
'gw-smiley'
'riding'

jm21ddd15
05-14-2015, 06:50 AM
Hey Fred, I gotta help a buddy move this weekend, so I will be away from this machine for a couple. I get back in touch with you soon.

jm21ddd15
05-18-2015, 07:57 PM

You still heading toward Red Wing? Let me know if you want another F6 along. 'popcorn and coke'

stroguy
05-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Since I now decided for the Franklin trip I am going to make a whirl of it. Spring TX to Meridiam MS to see my pops. Hooking up with 53 for the ride into Franklin. Leave Franklin on Sunday to JAX FL to see the brother for a couple days. Then west through the Florida panhandle for lunch with 53. Then on to Biloxi MS to see some old military buddies. Then back to Spring TX. This will be a cherry popper for me. Glad to have 53 school me. Anxious to see your faces vs your keyboards.

Old Ryder
05-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Going up to visit a buddy and burn up the twisties for about 6 days. Can't wait. Loading up the tour pack right now! :icon_mrgreen:

mikey
05-24-2015, 10:24 AM
riding from home in n. georgia, to w. va. - cass railroad- steam train ride, then on to ohio/amish country. - then ??- plenty of time to explore .

Old Ryder
05-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Great day it was Friday at the Gap

NCF6B
06-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Great trips! So far this summer, we spent a week riding the Blue Ridge in Ga. and NC. I have a bucket list trip this week from Ashtabula OH. to Fryburg PA. Near Cooks Forest, then to Donora Pa. my home town, tour the valley then head to Uniontown, Pa. Tour the Alleghney mountains, Ft. Necessity and then back to OH and NC. Should be fun! Ride safe all!

AlannTenn
06-29-2015, 06:22 AM
Leaving Knoxville on July 6th for a South to North Natchez Trace Parkway ride. No daily milestones set, we like to 'mosey with intent to amble'! We stop as many times as we want, to see a sight or enjoy a vista, at the end of the day find a motel & a steak dinner .

I'm looking for the switch or lever for Countryside-Mode on my Fast Matte Silver! Has me worried...:crackup: