PDA

View Full Version : Balance issue?

bobbyf6b
07-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Just wondering what others have noticed while riding with your hands off the bars for a few seconds. Mine wants to lean to the right. Been that way since new. I wonder if its common or not.

Darkknight
07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Try moving your wallet to the left rear pocket.
:lolup:
My wallet is empty after all the accessories I've ordered, so it doesn't weigh down the right side anymore.

Texas TC
07-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Balance out the weight in th saddle bags. If they are empty add some weight to the left bag. I am so accustomed to keeping too much junk in my side bags that I have made a conscience effort to try to keep the balance correct between the two. I don't think I have ever rode the bike without something in them so I have not experienced any balance issues. Just a thought.

bobbyf6b
07-15-2013, 12:38 PM
My wallet is in my front pocket. I'm a truck driver so I don't like sitting on it all day and my chain drive wallet days are behind me. :)

I actually have more weight in the left bag cuz I have a tool kit in there. (Used the tools yesterday to tinker on my friends Harley, LOL)

I was thinking maybe the drive system might cause it cuz it's my first single sided swing arm bike.

Anyone else notice the bike leaning to the right when you let go of the bars?

Steve 0080
07-15-2013, 01:38 PM
All my bikes have leaned one way or the other...only one or two have moved straight away...could be one butt cheek is larger than the other......

bobbyf6b
07-15-2013, 01:57 PM
I just talked to a friend that's a BMW rider and he says his bike does the same thing. Suggested it might have to to with the rotation of the engine. Makes sense cuz this is my first flat opposed cylinder bike. All I had before was vtwins, vfours and straight fours.

Alberta Beagle
07-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Why are you riding with no hands? :shock:

goldtahoe
07-15-2013, 02:07 PM

Excellent question ... ?????

bob109
07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
All my bikes have leaned one way or the other...only one or two have moved straight away...could be one butt cheek is larger than the other......

Miles has been on a "levity" binge lately! You're running a close second:clap2:

bobbyf6b
07-15-2013, 02:30 PM

Someone told me it wasn't safe. :083:

Steve 0080
07-15-2013, 03:25 PM
WoW!!! I'm moving up....to be compared to Miles...however he has me beat by 1.35489515+6131 .......

Cleaver1
07-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Could be the crown of the road. Mine went slightly to the right, but I could correct it by leaning my body slightly to the left. Other bikes I have had did the same thing but not always to the right. Try a level blacktop with no crown to it. Sounds normal unless it veers to the right.

Dbelchersr
07-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Both my 2007 Wing and F6b do the same thing. I wonder if there might be a gradual slope to the right to eliminate any water build-up in case of rain? Just a thought.

Mustangjake
07-15-2013, 06:36 PM
I have to adjust my self in the saddle before I let go. But I have never tried over 40 + I only did because I am grown up and wanted to!

bobbyf6b
07-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Well, if I lean left I can keep it straight too, I wanted to make sure it wasn't just my bike.

FYI, while testing my Go Cruise I kept it straight for quite a while at 65 mph on a loooong straight highway. (Don't try this at home, it's not safe) :icon_wink:

The bike is VERY stable! That's what I wanted to find out.

ghostrider
07-16-2013, 07:31 AM
I did try that on the way to work this morning. Mine is very balance, goes straight and true. My old BMW R1100RT would always lean to the right though. :iduno:

Retired Army
07-16-2013, 12:51 PM
807 Letting go of the handlebars is child's play plus the rest of the group don't seem to mind.

thunder217
07-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Took a long ride on the F6B this weekend, from Maryland to Charlotte, N.C. At 80 with the cruise controle set the bike went down the road like it was possessed. I never had to touch the wheel. This machine is very well balanced. It didn't sway in either direction. It was a pleasure to ride. :2gwb921:

Texas TC
07-16-2013, 06:07 PM
I finally got a chance to try mine today (rain finally moved out of North Texas this afternoon). Straight and balanced for over a mile with my hands off the bars, Go Cruise set.

bobbyf6b
07-16-2013, 06:28 PM
I finally got a chance to try mine today (rain finally moved out of North Texas this afternoon). Straight and balanced for over a mile with my hands off the bars, Go Cruise set.

Damn, I guess I'll have the shop check it out. I already know the answer. "Duh, I don't know". Seems strange to me with so many Goldwings out there that no one I ask at all these Honda shops seem to know anything about them. I guess I haven't asked the right person yet. I hope I didn't get a bad one, although it would be my luck. :banghead:

It's still the BEST bike I've every owned, hands down. So it's hard to complain.

Mustangjake
07-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Tryed again yesterday 55 straight down the road.
I made sure I was straight in the saddle before I let go.
I think I ride a little sideways because of my titanium knee

bobbyf6b
07-23-2013, 02:01 PM
It's still annoying me. I made an appointment for Saturday so the dealer can check it out. I'll post an update after.

Wildracing22
07-23-2013, 02:18 PM
I have noticed mine also leans right. I have been blaming my wife, i thought one of her :shock: bags was heavier than the other. Either way, i have not figured out how to track a straight line with hands off.

MichaelG
07-23-2013, 02:32 PM
You folks are all 100 % right on this balance issue. It never really bothered me, or even came to mind, until you brought it up, so...thanks a lot:icon_wink:

Ironic that all of my 1800 Wings were balanced well enough that I could take both hands off the handlebars, and the bike would ride straight down the road, for countless miles. But not this F6B. Maybe they were built this way, for those with twisted minds.:icon_rolleyes:

Bike44
07-23-2013, 05:07 PM
My F6B is on order so no experience yet, but the '12 Wing I had tracked ok. Maybe our Alaskan roads lack a serious crown. They sure have plenty of roller coaster dips.

I owned two BMW K1600's...GTL and GT. The GTL wanted to roll to the right on her own. Some early models had an upper steering offset that bordered on the manufacturer's limits according to the Forums. Some owners reported being able to shim out the tolerances in the upper suspension to correct the behavior. The second K1660 was a newer production, tracked true, but developed a terrible front suspension squeak that was fixed via a special lube to the shock bushings. Both had excessive stacking clearances in the drivetrain/slipper-assist clutch and clunked with on-off-on throttle. They were rushed into production before all the bugs were smashed.

bobbyf6b
07-26-2013, 05:50 PM
We're not the only ones.

I let someone from the dealer ride mine yesterday. He comes back and says it rides straight. I get back on and it goes right. Exactly what i thought. I tell them I have an issue and the response is NO YOU DON'T. Ok, so I still have this problem but YOU say I don't so should I just go away? WTF happened to the customer being right? I still have my appointment for tomorrow so we'll see what the mechanic says.

I also have a ticking sound coming from the valve cover area at idle. Is this normal? I idled a couple used GWs but didn't hear the same sound.

Phantom
07-26-2013, 06:07 PM
We're not the only ones.

I let someone from the dealer ride mine yesterday. He comes back and says it rides straight. I get back on and it goes right. Exactly what i thought. I tell them I have an issue and the response is NO YOU DON'T. Ok, so I still have this problem but YOU say I don't so should I just go away? WTF happened to the customer being right? I still have my appointment for tomorrow so we'll see what the mechanic says.

I also have a ticking sound coming from the valve cover area at idle. Is this normal? I idled a couple used GWs but didn't hear the same sound.

Your ticking is most likely your 6 FUEL injectors that you are hearing, some are more noisy than others, this is normal. Some owners of GL1800's have added a little bit of Murphy's Mystery oil with their gasoline, some say it helps.

bobbyf6b
07-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Your ticking is most likely your 6 FUEL injectors that you are hearing, some are more noisy than others, this is normal. Some owners of GL1800's have added a little bit of Murphy's Mystery oil with their gasoline, some say it helps.

Thanks for the info. :icon_cool:

bobbyf6b
07-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Ok, this may or may not sound crazy but I think I solved both of my issues. One was the left grip felt further away than the right and two, the drifting to the right. I got a crazy idea to scoot my butt over to the left about an inch. BINGO! Now the bars feel perfect and the bike virtually rides straight. I rode for a minute and a half on a long road and kept it straight. Maybe my body is crooked! :icon_doh: