PDA

View Full Version : so.....is the paint better on 2015 models ?

sshake1905
04-09-2015, 09:32 AM
I have seen at least 4 or 5, or maybe more, new 2015 F6Bs joining the Forum in last few weeks...... I am wondering if the quality of the paint quality on the new blue and grey 2015 is any better than previous models in 2013 and 2014 ?:shrug:

Have searched forum for comments by the new 2015 owners about the paint, but without any real defining remarks....good or bad...

I...and I assume, many others on the forum, would like to hear opinions, comments and advice from new 2015 F6B owners...as to the quality of the paint on their new bikes..:shrug:

So....new 2015 F6B owners...notworthy...please post any positive or negative details about the paint on your new bikes....thanks much

Shaker

CheesyRider
04-09-2015, 10:16 AM
I have a blue 2015. I paid close attention to the blue 2014 Valkyrie that had been sitting on the showroom floor for many months at my local dealer. Supposedly it has the same exact paint as the blue 2015 F6B. The Valkyrie paint looked great after many months of showroom abuse. My F6B's paint does have some fine scratches. I do have to look pretty closely to see them and I have not yet applied the liquid glass that I purchased a few weeks ago. I suspect that I'll be completely satisfied once I apply a few coats of Liquid Glass.

While the paint still seems somewhat soft, the blue actually has a clear coat unlike the red and black. I think it is going to be much easier to buff out any fine scratches and keep the paint looking nice. It's too early to say for certain, but I think most people will be satisfied with the paint quality.

MorrisGray
04-09-2015, 11:56 AM
Anyone buy the this new 2015 color scheme yet?

I want one because it is different than the other year color choices.

srt8-in-largo
04-09-2015, 12:27 PM
I'd still like to know what, exactly, was wrong with paint on the 2013 and 2014 models. Mine is perfect.

RSMIKE
04-09-2015, 12:39 PM
I have the flat gray f6b so far no problem .
Honda doesn't sell anything for this paint,even the sales men told me to go to the Harley shop.
They sell a detailer for flat paint so that's what I use.
From what I've been told you don't wax this paint.

The paint seems very hard you can't see finger prints at all or dust.

smokinjoe187
04-09-2015, 12:44 PM
I have the flat gray f6b so far no problem .
Honda doesn't sell anything for this paint,even the sales men told me to go to the Harley shop.
They sell a detailer for flat paint so that's what I use.
From what I've been told you don't wax this paint.

The paint seems very hard you can't see finger prints at all or dust.

i had a matte black 2009 electra glide
i loved the ease of care for that paint,I used adams quick detailer on it for 5 loving years...when i sold it to get my f6b i only lost about 3 k..
enjoy that paint

sshake1905
04-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Honda does, in fact, make specific products for cleaning and polishing Goldwing plastic parts...I have bought and used them in the past...and am currently using Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish on my F6B, which I buy at local dealer....P/N 08732-SCP00 - which comes in a 12 oz aerosol can for about 6.00 plua tax...

Honda reps have recommended the use of Honda Glare Ultra Wash (P/N 08732-GLR-002) for all GL1800s....then followed up with Honda Glare Professional Polish (P/N 08731-GLR-001 ), and these two products have worked fine on plastic painted parts on Goldwings in the past....

Both these products are for sale on amazon.com and other sites....I got them from Rocky Mountain ATV site in Salt Lake City, Utah area because they were less $ and got to me quicker

I have not used the last 2 mentioned Honda products on my F6B yet, but I have used the good old standby.:yes:..Spray Cleaner and Polish, which has been around for years...and it seems to be working okay...:shrug:

I do plan to use the Ultra Wash and the Professional Polish on my F6B this year....

there is also another product offered by Honda...called Hondagloss Liquid Polish and Sealant ( P/N 08C25-A081S )....BUT..:no:. the directions say it is not for use on Matte Surface paints,:yikes: so I will use the Ultra Wash as step one and follow up with Professional Polish.. maybe once every 6 months...

The Spray Cleaner and Polish (in aersol can) is used about once a month in the riding season, when I clean up the bike after a long 6 or 7 day ride....

This Honda stuff kept a pretty good shine and polish on the old Goldwing, but, then again it wasn't Black and had much better quality paint to start with than my F6B....IMO

Just hope these products will work on my black F6B.....classified for results

nvmyf6
04-09-2015, 01:45 PM
After many cleanings, I have not discovered any swirl marks in the paint at all and seems to resist finger print marks. :thumb: at least hides em very well.

The paint is easy to clean. I've been using H2O and car wash soap, applied with a soft fine porous sponge, its a wax sponge applicator from one of my car wax kits, then towel dried. I have been looking for motorcycle wash soap, but have not located any as of yet. :icon_biggrin:

Also I use Pledge with the no wax formula, been working just fine, I make sure to wipe off all residue. Works great on the windscreen.

hgslayr
04-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Pledge works on almost any finish...Been using it on my Rune for years...

RSMIKE
04-09-2015, 03:21 PM
All I can tell yea is what the dealer told me and what I read on line about flat or satin paint finishes. Just google it more info. then you want.

No wax on satin paint

Riknchar
04-09-2015, 03:55 PM
No problems whatsoever on my 2015 Matte Silver F6B. This is the first vehicle I've owned with matte paint, and it does take some getting used to not having to wax...

I think the only possible issues I may face are due to hard-water spotting on the gray paint. I wash my bikes frequently using car wash soap and lots of water, followed by diligent (but gentle) towel drying. I've only had my bike for a short time, but I really like the classy 2-tone charcoal gray/lighter gray look, and will do everything I can to keep it looking new for a long time.

hgslayr
04-09-2015, 04:55 PM
when I wash mine (Rune) I use a leaf blower immediately after to blow out all the excess water from all the cracks and then I towel dry it...

F6B1911
04-09-2015, 04:59 PM
I'd still like to know what, exactly, was wrong with paint on the 2013 and 2014 models. Mine is perfect.

Did you have yours professionally painted prior to taking delivery?

opas ride
04-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Good question as I have talked with several F6B owners from 13/14 models and with a good coat of polish/wax most have no big issues with the paint and do not see it as anything to "fret" about...Mine is custom painted, yes, but by my wife's choice of color, not Honda original paint problems if any....JMHO

dps4
04-09-2015, 05:54 PM
I use "Rat Wax" on my matte paint. perfect for this finish

srt8-in-largo
04-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Did you have yours professionally painted prior to taking delivery?

No... I have factory paint. When new I buffed with Meguiars M205 using both an orange cutting pad and then a white finishing pad. Neither times did I see paint residue on the pad... and this is the only issue I'm aware of, people seeing paint residue on pads.

I kinda wonder now if a couple of people were just using the wrong product, which then turned into a myth that got repeated until everyone started believing it. There are many who have no idea about cutting strengths of the polish they're using... or which is the right pad to use.

opas ride
04-09-2015, 07:11 PM
No... I have factory paint. When new I buffed with Meguiars M205 using both an orange cutting pad and then a white finishing pad. Neither times did I see paint residue on the pad... and this is the only issue I'm aware of, people seeing paint residue on pads.

I kinda wonder now if a couple of people were just using the wrong product, which then turned into a myth that got repeated until everyone started believing it. There are many who have no idea about cutting strengths of the polish they're using... or which is the right pad to use.
++1...I tend to agree with your assessment of this issue...I kinda think it got "out-of-hand" and more opinions than facts....

srt8-in-largo
04-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the sanity check Opas. I was starting to wonder if it was just me missing something.

chipmaker
04-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the sanity check Opas. I was starting to wonder if it was just me missing something.

Too funny, pages and pages of posts about shitty paint, and you 2 think it was imagined. Yep...

Phantom
04-09-2015, 09:36 PM
++1...I tend to agree with your assessment of this issue...I kinda think it got "out-of-hand" and more opinions than facts....

Why make a generalization based on your "Belief" and NOT experience. You have stated numerous times that you had YOUR bike painted with NEW paint and clear-coated before taking delivery. So why not start a thread on Unicorns.

Opas, I truly appreciate your contributions, however your paint comments are baseless simply from your statements of not having any experience with the factory paint. Try to not DISCREDIT those that have had actual issues.

I PERSONALLY saw the scratches and scuffs on Steve 0080's F6B in Daytona ... weeks after he had taken delivery. As someone had stated, there may have been a error with the amount of hardener or lack of that was added to the paint at the factory on the first units. You have to understand that the bikes were in production and being painted as early as July-August 2012. The first deliveries took place in mid to late February 2013. The first postings on this website and the first complaints that Honda Heard about the Paint softness was around March or April of 2013.

That means that Honda may have used the WRONG amount of hardener for 8-10 months. Once the complaints started coming in and they figured out the error ... the rest may have been painted with a properly mixed paint. They'll never admit to it because that would mean 1000's of Goldwings needing a re-paint.

At last years Rally I looked at several F6B's and I can tell you that my OLD 2005 Goldwing paint was in much better shape then most 2013-2014 F6B's. :banghead:

I have had a similar discussion with another individual on another Forum in regards to the low speed deceleration wobble ... Since he has never experienced it, he thinks that those of us that have experienced the wobble are over reacting to something that isn't so. I have come to the conclusion that my head bearings need to be either replaced or tightened a little bit more. Some Goldwings had the proper head bearing torque and others didn't.

opas ride
04-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Point taken and I will no longer respond to any paint issues.....Regards

Phantom
04-09-2015, 10:18 PM
:icon_rolleyes:

Honda Civic Owners have also been complaining about the SOFT Black paint for YEARS ...

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/this-paint-is-so-soft.5588/

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/36956-your-advice-super-soft-black-honda-paint.html

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/11509-soft-paint-warranty.html

Phantom
04-09-2015, 10:27 PM
:banghead:

My FINAL comments on Honda's NEW "Environmentally Friendly" Paint technology .....

It's all about cutting PRODUCTION COSTS ... unfortunately QUALITY has suffered

https://youtu.be/bKLPXvZytIs

sshake1905
04-09-2015, 11:52 PM
After reading your last few posts on this particular thread, which I started by the way, I much appreciate your defense of those of us with early 2013 black F6s....my VIN number ends with
000342... and the paint is terrible...

In my 50 years of owning almost 20 different motorcycles, if have never seen such soft, touchy paint....true that the black amplifies the problems....but it is still what it is....on my bike at least..
shit quality paint...

Just started this thread to get only the opinions from owners of the new 2015 F6Bs...as to if the quality, or hardness, of the paint was better than previous comments on the forum...

I didn't ask for any opinions of 2013 or 2014 owners, with Honda or custom paint jobs...I think we all need to read the question on the thread before jumping in with unhelpful comments....

I still would like to hear more comments from new 2015 owners about how their paint is holding up under normal cleaning and polishing.....
I am considering trading my 2013 on a new 2015, if new owners believe the paint quality has improved ....The Honda F6B is the closest to perfect as any bike I have owned.....except for the paint job....

Thanks again Phantom

vmaxed
04-10-2015, 06:49 AM
I have seen at least 4 or 5, or maybe more, new 2015 F6Bs joining the Forum in last few weeks...... I am wondering if the quality of the paint quality on the new blue and grey 2015 is any better than previous models in 2013 and 2014 ?:shrug:

Have searched forum for comments by the new 2015 owners about the paint, but without any real defining remarks....good or bad...

I...and I assume, many others on the forum, would like to hear opinions, comments and advice from new 2015 F6B owners...as to the quality of the paint on their new bikes..:shrug:

So....new 2015 F6B owners...notworthy...please post any positive or negative details about the paint on your new bikes....thanks much

Shaker

My Black 2014 Valkyrie paint quality was terrible it scratched on the gas tank from my jeans,so far my Blue F6B looks good but I haven't had it that long. :yes:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Q5N3TQdSL_o/VSKvL4U3m1I/AAAAAAAAZ9U/9ArD58Y2tHc/w1270-h715-no/IMG_20150406_120700269.jpg

srt8-in-largo
04-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Too funny, pages and pages of posts about shitty paint, and you 2 think it was imagined. Yep...

Why would you choose this post to reply to, snidely at that, instead of just telling me what the issue is as I asked in post #4?

I've had no reason to search for paint issues but I've been curious enough to ask a couple of times before and, other than crickets, I received similar responses... "it's written on the internet"... therefore it must be true.

I'll take Tony's word for it though. In addition to paint showing up on polishing pads, I guess people were seeing scuffs, scratches, and misc other quality issues.

RLatt
04-10-2015, 10:12 AM
I was a member on this site before I bought my blue 15' in late January, and was aware of the paint problems mentioned again here. I have 1600 miles on it so far. It has been washed and waxed three times.

I paid close attention to the paint, and any color coming off on the wash / wax applicators and cloth. I can say I have seen NO blue coming off, and have had zero problems with scratches.

I will continue to watch for any problems on the blue and black paint, and will post here if I see any change.

bigbird
04-10-2015, 10:15 AM
I washed my black '13 yesterday and applied my first coat of liquid glass. There was no paint residue on the applicator.
Even with only 1 coat, the finish was like a mirror. That stuff works great.

53driver
04-10-2015, 10:27 AM
I washed my black '13 yesterday and applied my first coat of liquid glass. There was no paint residue on the applicator.

Did you use the Liquid Glass Prep Wash stuff?
I was gifted the whole deal.
Just need some fairly decent weather.
Oh wait, I live in Philly. Nevermind.

bigbird
04-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Did you use the Liquid Glass Prep Wash stuff?

No.
I just washed the bike with a hand mitt using warm water and some Sunlight dish detergent.
I used the dish detergent because there was a lot of silicone grease smudges on the glossy panels.
I had silicone greased the bosses and grommets when I reassembled my bike after the winter mods.
I wasn't overly cautious about getting the bike dirty, as I knew I'd be giving it a thorough wash before applying the LG once the weather was warm enough.

edgeman55
04-10-2015, 12:46 PM

+1 on the Liquid Glass and remember the more coats it seems the better.I don't know about others 13 black F6B's but my paint from day one scratched and I went thru the crap Honda recomended and many other products with no good results.The only stuff that has worked on my crappy black paint has been the Liquid Glass.Only other fix would be a repaint and someday I am sure I will do that as I plan to keep her for a LONG time.Another great product I used on the tank was Tech Spec pads.They look good and really protect me from rubbing the paint away around the top compartments.Hope the 15 owners have better paint then us 13 owners cause I have not imagined my problem.

2bikemike
04-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Mine is a fast red 13 that I bought new last june. I use serious shine by napa with a microfiber cloth.
So far I have had no problems with either swirls or paint rubbing off and I wipe everthing before or after every ride. not claiming this is the miracle product to use it is my product of preference. Not saying that no one has these problems It just happens I don't.

tozco
04-10-2015, 04:24 PM
My 2013 Black F6b has paint so soft, that every bug hit on the fairing is visible as an imprint in the paint finish. It really looks like crap. The only way to eliminate the imprints is to level the paint. First motorcycle I've owned in 35+ years riding, where the fairing paint is less durable than the plastic windshield.

BobinMich
04-12-2015, 07:41 PM
110 miles on my '13 F6b and just applied my SIXTH coat of liquid glass! pretty soon I'll be even miles to coats of LG! Seems to work nice, very easy to apply (I Just wash with sponge soapy water), wipes off easy and gives a nice shine. I have had dozens of bikes, black is the worst, no matter the brand....

bobbyf6b
04-12-2015, 08:39 PM

You must be lucky because my paint is garbage. Mine is so scratched up now that I don't even care anymore. I still wash it and put Liquid Glass on it but it looks horrible. Paint shows up on all my microfiber towels.

Some years ago I had a black Suzuki and the paint was immaculate. I barely ever washed it and it shined like the day I bought it new. There's definitely an issue with Honda's paint.

hiflyer
04-12-2015, 08:58 PM
You must be lucky because my paint is garbage. Mine is so scratched up now that I don't even care anymore. I still wash it and put Liquid Glass on it but it looks horrible. Paint shows up on all my microfiber towels.

Some years ago I had a black Suzuki and the paint was immaculate. I barely ever washed it and it shined like the day I bought it new. There's definitely an issue with Honda's paint.

I'm getting to be like you bobby, I don't seem to care as much about trying to take care of it. I don't put LG on nearly as much as I used to. Bridgestone Motorcycles used to have the best engines, paint, and chrome (which was usually the fenders and part of the tank) of any bike. That quality was expensive which led to their demise.