PDA

View Full Version : Madstad made my radio louder.

Ixol Phaane
04-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I only have to turn it up to 12 or 13 now.
With the BaggerShield 11/19 in short mode I had to run it at 14 or 15.

I'm 5'8" with a 32" inseam and I'm riding with the stock seat. The Madstad is adjusted so I just look over the top of the 11" dark gray shield.
I was just looking over the top of the BaggerShield, too, but what a difference!
For me, the cockpit is so much quieter and has much less turbulence.
I was content with the BaggerShield... I like the Madstad better.

Thanks, BBB!
Ready to ride whenever you are. :icon_biggrin:

chipmaker
04-09-2015, 09:03 PM
I found that to be true also...

hiflyer
04-09-2015, 09:37 PM
All right, another "MAD" MADSTADER! It's guuuud!

98valk
04-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I only have to turn it up to 12 or 13 now.
With the BaggerShield 11/19 in short mode I had to run it at 14 or 15.

Looks nice from that view. :yes:

Okay, some of us want to know ....

How does that Madstad compare to the BaggerShield in the tall mode?

Ixol Phaane
04-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Looks nice from that view. :yes:

Okay, some of us want to know ....

How does that Madstad compare to the BaggerShield in the tall mode?

Sitting behind the BaggerShield in tall mode I feel very protected. It's very quiet and there is little to no turbulence. It calms things down really well for the GF, too.
My biggest gripe with the BS in tall mode is that I have to look through the shield. It also acts as a pretty good sail, too.

The Madstad is impressive so far, after just a couple hundred miles. I get a very quiet ride, with little to no turbulence similar to the BaggerShield...no helmet buffeting or wind roar. And I can still look over the top of the Madstad shield. For me it's as quiet as sitting behind the BS in tall mode. And it doesn't catch wind like the Bagger tall.

The Madstad is not much taller than the BaggerShield bottom section, but the difference in protection is significant.

I'm looking forward to getting the GF on the back and knowing how she feels about it. When I do, I'll update the thread. :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
04-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Way to go Ixol!

Interesting though... it looks like they reshaped both the base and the shield. Or is it just me? Here's mine that I bought last year.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rVtpNU5f8bY/U-g3odgjJRI/AAAAAAAACAs/l9il_MV6tYo/s800/DSC00598.JPG

Necanefan
04-11-2015, 08:58 PM
I purchased my F6B yesterday, and the Madstad 13" windscreen today. I hope it brings the same results you have enjoyed.

naga viper
04-12-2015, 05:43 AM
I too had the baggershield and wasn't happy in low mode and flipped gave protection, but was getting hit on top of helmet with wind severely.

Jimmytee
04-12-2015, 07:00 AM
I too had the baggershield and wasn't happy in low mode and flipped gave protection, but was getting hit on top of helmet with wind severely.

I'm 5' 8" and am pretty content with the Bagger Shield. Actually prefer riding with only the bottom unless it's really chilly. Content is the word, but reading posts like yours makes me wonder if I'd also find a shield like the Madstad preferable. I ,IMHO, think the BaggerShield is a better looking windscreen. Do you feel the improvement is worth the difference in this department? That's probably a dumb question. Got some front and side pics?

Ixol Phaane
04-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Way to go Ixol!

Interesting though... it looks like they reshaped both the base and the shield. Or is it just me? Here's mine that I bought last year.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rVtpNU5f8bY/U-g3odgjJRI/AAAAAAAACAs/l9il_MV6tYo/s800/DSC00598.JPG

SRT8... I think you're right about the shapes of both the base and the shield. They do seem to have been changed. And it looks like the position of the bracket on your shield is lower. I bought my Madstad used, and not from the original owner, so I can't say when it was mtg'd... but it does look as if it's been revised at some point.

Actually, I just scrutinized the pics on the Madstad website, and your base is shaped like that in the pics of the Gold Wing GL1800 - longer on each side -near the mirrors - than the F6B base. And your bracket position seems to match their GL1800 shield also. Is yours that model maybe? :shrug:

naga viper
04-13-2015, 05:42 AM
I'm 5' 8" and am pretty content with the Bagger Shield. Actually prefer riding with only the bottom unless it's really chilly. Content is the word, but reading posts like yours makes me wonder if I'd also find a shield like the Madstad preferable. I ,IMHO, think the BaggerShield is a better looking windscreen. Do you feel the improvement is worth the difference in this department? That's probably a dumb question. Got some front and side pics?

I will have to look if I have more pix. I am also 5'8"
That pix is preferred angle as per Madstad.

Jimmytee
04-13-2015, 06:22 AM
I will have to look if I have more pix. I am also 5'8"
That pix is preferred angle as per Madstad.

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to see them in person at the rally.

Ixol Phaane
04-13-2015, 04:17 PM

Here ya go, Jimmytee. Here's some pix for ya.

13142 13143 13144

Jimmytee
04-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Here ya go, Jimmytee. Here's some pix for ya.

13142 13143 13144

Thanks. Is that where you typically have it adjusted? Seems like an abrupt change in angle from the lines.

hiflyer
04-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks. Is that where you typically have it adjusted? Seems like an abrupt change in angle from the lines.

Here's mine. I don't like the barn door look, and this works great.

Ixol Phaane
04-13-2015, 05:09 PM

That's where I had it set yesterday riding 2-up for 300 miles. It performed very well for both of us. Hiflyer has his laid back more. I've been moving it 'round looking for the sweet spot that's best for me. I don't think I'm gonna find one for all the riding conditions. Air flow changes as speed increases... so what works great at 45 may be lacking at 75 and require some adjustment.

And THAT is the beauty of the Madstad...its adjustable to your riding conditions. :icon_biggrin:

I wasn't crazy about the aesthetics at first, but it's growing on me. I'm starting to think it adds a little bad ass-ness.

hiflyer
04-13-2015, 06:21 PM
That's where I had it set yesterday riding 2-up for 300 miles. It performed very well for both of us. Hiflyer has his laid back more.

I also am using the bracket holes closest to the inner shield. You are fortunate that you got the one like mine, with the multiple bracket adjustment holes. The new ones are different than ours. Whatever position works for you!

srt8-in-largo
04-13-2015, 06:47 PM
SRT8... I think you're right about the shapes of both the base and the shield. They do seem to have been changed. And it looks like the position of the bracket on your shield is lower. I bought my Madstad used, and not from the original owner, so I can't say when it was mtg'd... but it does look as if it's been revised at some point.

Actually, I just scrutinized the pics on the Madstad website, and your base is shaped like that in the pics of the Gold Wing GL1800 - longer on each side -near the mirrors - than the F6B base. And your bracket position seems to match their GL1800 shield also. Is yours that model maybe? :shrug:

I just checked my receipt to make sure I ordered the right one... and I did; my receipt says Goldwing F6B. I ordered mine last July and, idk, I guess they were still figuring out the setup for us. I actually like the look of yours better :icon_biggrin:

Glad you're enjoying it!

hiflyer
04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
I just checked my receipt to make sure I ordered the right one... and I did; my receipt says Goldwing F6B. I ordered mine last July and, idk, I guess they were still figuring out the setup for us. I actually like the look of yours better :icon_biggrin:

Glad you're enjoying it!

I think you have a "one off" base shield. Call em and ask about it, maybe they will ship you the one all the rest of us have.

srt8-in-largo
04-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Good call hiflyer; they're only about 30 miles from me... I may just ride up and see what they say in person.

Old Ryder
04-14-2015, 11:10 AM
You people are costing me more money---you do know that, right????

Ixol Phaane
04-14-2015, 11:24 AM
You people are costing me more money---you do know that, right????

It's all about keeping the economy stimulated, baby! :icon_lol:

Old Ryder
04-15-2015, 11:28 AM
It's all about keeping the economy stimulated, baby! :icon_lol:

Well I am doing my part. Ordered mine today. Maybe the wife won't notice. :duck:

DaWadd
04-15-2015, 11:46 AM
"ccsmiley" Me Too.

maxrider
08-16-2015, 08:10 PM
I initially ordered the 15", but due to my RDL seat configuration and my tall upper torso at 6'4" I was getting buffeting/noise at the top of the helmet.

Requested an 20", yes Twenty Inch and that did the trick for me, just got done putting 200 mile test ride on it, found the Sweet spot after a few adjustments and I love it now.

Also my audio is clear and loud, and yes I do look thru the shield, but that's what I prefer.

Max

motozeke
08-17-2015, 08:21 PM
I honestly can't imagine what a better performing windscreen would be like. I look over the top and still get a bubble of quiet up to 70 mph or so, and it's still much quieter at 85 mph than my Ducati was standing still. Madstad is the real deal. :yes:

NOTE: My profile pic still shows my bike with the Cee Bailey on it, because I just like the picture. :icon_cool:

BobR
08-17-2015, 09:41 PM
I love my Madstad. I didn't at first. It was on the bike when I got it. once I realized how well it functioned I learned to live with the unusual form. It had the heaviest tint 11 inch shield on it. I live on a dirt road and needed to see when I was hitting a pot hole. I am only 50 miles from Madstad so ordered a 12 inch clear. I drove and picked it up from the factory, $96. It is much better to see thru. I love being able to drop the shield here in the Florida heat but put it up when on the highway or in the rain. Just got back from 2000 mile trip up to the Smokies and it was great.