PDA

View Full Version : Grip Puppies

hoglaw
04-11-2015, 02:17 PM
After years of riding Harleys I found the tiny diameter grips on my F6B to be very uncomfortable. Someone suggested grip puppies. WOW. Just did my first ride with them today and they make a great difference. Much more comfortable, although they are very expensive at <$10. Easy to install and they feel great.

So far the two cheapest things you can add (grip puppies and hand wings) have proven to be the best extras for the bike.

53driver
04-11-2015, 02:38 PM
After years of riding Harleys I found the tiny diameter grips on my F6B to be very uncomfortable. Someone suggested grip puppies. WOW. Just did my first ride with them today and they make a great difference. Much more comfortable, although they are very expensive at <$10. Easy to install and they feel great.

So far the two cheapest things you can add (grip puppies and hand wings) have proven to be the best extras for the bike.

I got the large Kury wraps with throttle boss to make up for the tiny diameter grips. Cheap cruise control......
I also just took my first ride with the Baker Hand Wings today....yes, noticeable decrease in wind on the hands in "Closed" and yes, lots of airflow in "Open."

Steve 0080
04-11-2015, 02:44 PM
+1 on the Grip Puppies!!!

M61A1MECH
04-11-2015, 04:00 PM
YUP, had them on my Venture, started getting hand cramps on my 2013 Goldwing with stock grips, installed Grip Puppies, no more cramps. I like um.

stroguy
04-11-2015, 04:33 PM
What size did you install? Did you trim them? I have long baseball fingers and I do ache holding this narrow throttle for an extended time. I'll try me. I had Kury oversized on my Yammy and it was nice.

hoglaw
04-11-2015, 05:10 PM
What size did you install? Did you trim them? I have long baseball fingers and I do ache holding this narrow throttle for an extended time. I'll try me. I had Kury oversized on my Yammy and it was nice.

Hmmm, don't remember. They were tight to get on, but soaking them with a mixture of soapy water did the trick.

Fla_rider
04-11-2015, 06:17 PM
+2 grip puppies! Heaters work thru them..been using them since day 1.

stroguy
04-11-2015, 06:45 PM
I found some for $10 for the large which they say are 5" wide. The OEM grips are just short of 5.5" for the rubber. Thanks for the idea.

M61A1MECH
04-11-2015, 06:56 PM
This is where I got mine,
http://www.shop.shinhopples.com/product.sc?productId=1067&categoryId=103

Injun Joe
04-11-2015, 08:48 PM
I don't see 5.5" on Amazon. Only 5". Do you happen to have a model number?

M61A1MECH
04-11-2015, 08:55 PM
I don't see 5.5" on Amazon. Only 5". Do you happen to have a model number?

Use the link I provided and you can order direct from shinhopples, they shipped mine with in 24 hours I had them in about 3 days.

nvmyf6
04-11-2015, 11:11 PM

Good idea. Thanks for the link 'all/right'
I just ordered a pair

Phaedrus
04-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Hmmm, don't remember. They were tight to get on, but soaking them with a mixture of soapy water did the trick.

I've tried your soapy water trick, but I still can't get these things onto the grips. Can you explain in a little more detail how you did it? Thanks very much.

Cleaver1
04-16-2015, 07:35 AM
I had to use straight liquid soap. Only on the inside, otherwise it is to slippery on your hand. Push real hard working it in a twisting motion, it will go on hard.
Then I rinsed the grip with the hose squeezing it to remove the access soap. Let it dry for a while. Did mine over 11000 miles ago and they still look and work good.

hoglaw
04-16-2015, 08:22 AM
They were tight (guess that's the idea), but went on in about 2 minutes. I worked them forward from the back. About 1/4 inch at a time. I pushed my palm on the back, then pulled it forward from the front...push, repeat x 10.

stroguy
04-16-2015, 08:48 AM
https://youtu.be/Ev04cRNg9WM

OR

https://youtu.be/uqy5YMVoNNY

vmaxed
04-16-2015, 09:01 AM
I had to use straight liquid soap. Only on the inside, otherwise it is to slippery on your hand. Push real hard working it in a twisting motion, it will go on hard.

+1 :icon_ditto:

Texas TC
04-16-2015, 09:06 AM
I have been using foam grip covers of various brands for years. I found a good way to install them and keep them secure is to use hair spray instead of soap. When liquid, the hair spray allows the cover to slip over the small diameter OEM grips. When it dries, it holds the covers in place and no soapy residue when they get wet.

MAYHEM01
04-16-2015, 10:02 AM
thanks for the info

2bikemike
04-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Ordered a set.

radi0chik
04-16-2015, 10:23 AM
+1 to the thread, these have made riding a whole lot easier/better. I do seem to have the one on the throttle side try to slide back off every so often. Maybe I'll try the hairspray trick to keep it there.

Phaedrus
04-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Then I rinsed the grip with the hose squeezing it to remove the access soap. Let it dry for a while. Did mine over 11000 miles ago and they still look and work good.

This did the trick. Thank you. These puppies are great.

Necanefan
04-16-2015, 09:41 PM
I installed mine today, as I have on my last few bikes. They definitely make for a more comfortable grip with the increased diameter. I trimmed about 1/2 inch off the throttle side of the 5.5" covers. I use a Go Cruise throttle lock and have found that it works better on the stock grip rather than on the spongy cover. It holds without slipping.

stroguy
04-18-2015, 08:20 AM
I got the Shinhopples in as well as the 5" set. I installed the Shinhopples and they are a booger bear to install, but the soapy water trick does work. Just have to be slow and methodical. They look good, feel good but this stupid Houston weather will not let me ride. Tomorrow looks promising.

I have the extra pair and if anyone wants them I can send them to you for $12.

stroguy
04-19-2015, 03:59 PM
They do work. A cheap but very efficient mod. Did 160 miles today and my hands were much more comfortable. Thanks trailblazers for the idea.

ths61
04-19-2015, 05:41 PM
How do the heated grips work with Grip Puppies ?

Does the heat come through ?

Does the heat loosen the covers ?

Any other issues ?

TIA

Michael_A
04-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Got a set today from Shinhopples. Nice difference, cheap, easy to put on. Totally solved my hand-cramp issue! 'riding'

Texas TC
04-20-2015, 06:08 PM
How do the heated grips work with Grip Puppies ?

Does the heat come through ?

Does the heat loos en the covers ?

Any other issues ?

TIA
They work great with heated grips. The heat has not had any effect. They do allow for full warmth to come through. I have had mine on over two years. They are great and I have had no issues. Like previously mentioned, a little trimming on the throttle side and the Go Cruise throttle lock fits perfectly and is gently cradled by the Grip Puppies as it is attached to the original smaller grip.

Phaedrus
04-22-2015, 05:37 PM
I rode today with Grip Puppies for the first time since installing them. How nice they are! No more sore wrists and hand cramps.

I'd welcome help with a question, from the less aptitude-challenged: The puppy for the throttle grip was hardest to get on, and I think all my pushing, pulling and especially twisting has loosened the grip so it now has more wobble than I like. How can it be tightened up?

This is a great thread. It has provided a cheap and easy fix for aching hands. Thanks, all.

fast eddie
04-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Will the grip puppies go over the kakao throttle lovk ?

98valk
04-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Will the grip puppies go over the kakao throttle lovk ?

Probably not. But, you can easily remove the Kaoko to put on the grips, and then re-install.

MAYHEM01
04-28-2015, 07:49 AM
I installed my grip puppies and what a difference. I rode to Leesburg over the weekend and the foam grips were great.

flat6bagger
04-30-2015, 05:51 AM
I ordered a set yesterday.
I had used grip puppies on my Royal Star Venture and was instantly hooked.
They by far are the cheapest,best option for any motorcycle in my opinion.

srt8-in-largo
04-30-2015, 01:43 PM

I'd welcome help with a question, from the less aptitude-challenged: The puppy for the throttle grip was hardest to get on, and I think all my pushing, pulling and especially twisting has loosened the grip so it now has more wobble than I like. How can it be tightened up?

I've not had my grips apart, so idk, but maybe someone can chime in?

TDY
04-30-2015, 10:10 PM
Just installed puppies on my F6B and wife's 883. Have a Memorial ride to Austin on Saturday. Will see how they work out. Feel good so far tho.

srt8-in-largo
04-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Great first post TDY; welcome aboard.

Fla_rider
05-01-2015, 06:30 AM
I rode today with Grip Puppies for the first time since installing them. How nice they are! No more sore wrists and hand cramps.

This is a great thread. It has provided a cheap and easy fix for aching hands. Thanks, all.

Did you use a lubricant or soap? Once the soap drys or you remove some of the lubricant it will reshape to normal and stick fine. Leaving it in the sun for the day will speed up this process.

srt8-in-largo
05-01-2015, 08:44 PM
I think he means his handlebar grip loosened up John.

Phaedrus
05-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Yep, that's what I meant.

ths61
05-02-2015, 06:43 PM
Test rode a pair of "GRAB ON" grip covers today. A nice addition to the bike, very comfortable.

Thanks for recommending these options.

GRAB ON grip covers (http://www.grabongrips.com/motorcycle.php)

srt8-in-largo
05-02-2015, 10:07 PM
Mine came today and I can't wait to try them out.

Another :yes: for the link.

TDY
05-03-2015, 01:52 PM
Made the 200 mile memorial ride. The puppies really made a difference. Thanks SRT8. I've gotten a lot of good ideas from posts on here.

srt8-in-largo
05-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Don't thank me... thank Hoglaw and the other folks who recommended them. This is my first pair of Puppies :icon_biggrin:

flat6bagger
05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
I just installed mine.
I sprayed the grips and the inside of the "puppies" with Windex as I have in the past on other motorcycles.
It takes a little effort,but in my experiences,not as much as the soap method.
I will let them sit for 24 hours and be good to go.:icon_biggrin:

Redlinez
06-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Bump. Ordered the Shinhopples. Can't wait.

srt8-in-largo
06-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Puppies on, rider happy!

I used soapy water; they went on easier than I thought they would. However, like Hiflyer aludeded to, I find myself wearing gloves less often. When these wear out, I may forego another pair and just start using gloves on every ride again.

M61A1MECH
06-09-2015, 04:40 AM
Puppies on, rider happy!

I used soapy water; they went on easier than I thought they would. However, like Hiflyer aludeded to, I find myself wearing gloves less often. When these wear out, I may forego another pair and just start using gloves on every ride again.

I used Grip Puppies on my Venture, when the first pair wore out and I took them off, they left a sticky substance on the factory grips that I could not remove. Now the Venture factory grips were not hard rubber like on the GL, more like the sponge rubber of the Grip Puppies , so maybe the GL grips will clean up, good thing I liked the Grip Puppies , so just kept replacing them when ever needed.

DaWadd
06-09-2015, 08:28 AM
Had a set of Grip Puppies on mine for the last two weeks and love the feel. Great product."coffee"

bob109
06-09-2015, 08:41 AM
One of the first mods to my 6 was to install Grip Puppies! A simple and effective mod which increased the diameter over stock grips at a bargain price. With 33K miles on my 6, I'm on my second pair. Be it hand oils or UV light, the foam begins to deteriorate every 12/14 months. I'm still impressed with their comfort and have no less than 4 pairs for spares. I keep a pair in the left cubby. I also keep a spritzer bottle with a 50/50% water/ammonia mix for cleaning my wind shield. This mix works great as a lubricant for installing the Puppies:shhh: