PDA

View Full Version : Sudden USB failure

GiddyupF6B
04-11-2015, 09:39 PM
I've been using my Ipod in the saddlebag of my 2012 for a while now with no problems. Today while out on a ride it was working fine, I stopped at a store and when I came back out the display flashed "check usb cable" I unplugged and re plugged everything back in and nothing. The display went back to normal and the usb icon was on the screen showing connectivity but nothing from the Ipod anymore. I plugged in earphones to confirm the Ipod still worked and changed out the Ipod cable to eliminate that....nothing. It recognizes a connection because when I unplug it the icon goes away.....anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be? It seemed odd it just suddenly stopped working after all this time. Thanks

srt8-in-largo
04-11-2015, 09:49 PM
My guess is the USB hub in your iPhone went out.

Is there another iPhone you can try in the bike? Or can you test your iPhone USB with your PC?

EDIT: Oops, I mean iPod :icon_redface:

GiddyupF6B
04-11-2015, 09:53 PM
My guess is the USB hub in your iPhone went out.

Is there another iPhone you can try in the bike? Or can you test your iPhone USB with your PC?

Good call, I have another Ipod to try as well as an Iphone I can try. The Ipod is a year old so I'm hoping it's not that...it's the $240 120 GB mamajamma........

bigswole31
04-11-2015, 09:57 PM
I've experienced this many times. To get everything working again, I reboot my iPod.

For whatever reason the honda software is a bit finicky, as I've never had to do this in any of my cars with the same iPod. It appears that the the device doesn't always cleanly disconnect and reconnect when the device is playing but the bike is shut off. No biggie, but it CAN be annoying since we have to unlock and open the saddlebag to get to the device. I'm using a first or second generation iPod Touch, for what it's worth.

Jimmytee
04-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Don't have these issues with using a flash drive

GiddyupF6B
04-11-2015, 10:16 PM
I've experienced this many times. To get everything working again, I reboot my iPod.

For whatever reason the honda software is a bit finicky, as I've never had to do this in any of my cars with the same iPod. It appears that the the device doesn't always cleanly disconnect and reconnect when the device is playing but the bike is shut off. No biggie, but it CAN be annoying since we have to unlock and open the saddlebag to get to the device. I'm using a first or second generation iPod Touch, for what it's worth.

That was it....thanks!

GiddyupF6B
04-11-2015, 10:17 PM

First time in a year this has happened. I like the folders and controls of the Ipod on the bike not to mention 120 gigs.

srt8-in-largo
04-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Glad you got it fixed!

How do you mean folders and controls are better?

With a USB flash drive we can only have 255 songs in each folder... and there really isn't much control other than flipping song by song or folder by folder to find something.

Does the iPod do things better; more options on the bike controls to search for songs, etc?

smokinjoe187
04-11-2015, 11:07 PM
just turn it off and plug it back in...it will work

Steve 0080
04-11-2015, 11:11 PM
That was it....thanks!

Was thinking that as well...not sure what the deal is with Apple products, but they all have to be cycled off fairly frequently ....

GiddyupF6B
04-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Glad you got it fixed!

How do you mean folders and controls are better?

With a USB flash drive we can only have 255 songs in each folder... and there really isn't much control other than flipping song by song or folder by folder to find something.

Does the iPod do things better; more options on the bike controls to search for songs, etc?

Oh yeah.....with the iPod you still use the same format as on the IPod itself. You can choose custom playlists, artists, albums, shuffle in random mode......lots of different menu options. I love the playlists, I have several depending on my mood that day. All from the handlebars and control panel Plus you can change the display to album, song, or artist......it's the way to go.

GiddyupF6B
04-11-2015, 11:12 PM
just turn it off and plug it back in...it will work

That didn't work.....had to be rebooted.

srt8-in-largo
04-12-2015, 12:03 AM
Oh yeah.....with the iPod you still use the same format as on the IPod itself. You can choose custom playlists, artists, albums, shuffle in random mode......lots of different menu options. I love the playlists, I have several depending on my mood that day. All from the handlebars and control panel Plus you can change the display to album, song, or artist......it's the way to go.

Would you please consider doing a write up to educate us? Maybe with a few screenshots of how the menu's look and features?

My USB flash works great, but it only scrolls through music sequentially if you're looking for a specific song... and definitely doesn't support playlists or searching music from just one artist.

srt8-in-largo
04-12-2015, 12:08 AM

Is that a question about iPods Jimmy?

GiddyupF6B
04-12-2015, 07:00 AM
Would you please consider doing a write up to educate us? Maybe with a few screenshots of how the menu's look and features?

My USB flash works great, but it only scrolls through music sequentially if you're looking for a specific song... and definitely doesn't support playlists or searching music from just one artist.
Most of this is in the owners manual if I remember correctly. I can snap some pics of the menus if you think that will be helpful. You can search by song, artists, albums, genre, playlists, and one other I think. You definitely have much better control and information with the IPod.

Jimmytee
04-12-2015, 07:12 AM
First time in a year this has happened. I like the folders and controls of the Ipod on the bike not to mention 120 gigs.

I use a 64 gig flash drive. I guess I am at a loss at how using an I-pod hooked up in the saddlebag is different than plugging in a flashdrive. I'd understand the navigation thing if you had physical control over the I-pod, but aren't you using the I-pod hooked up into the USB connection at which point it just becomes a mass storage device? You still navigate using the F6B controls correct? That's how I change folders and songs etc.. as well. My flash drive never leaves the saddlebag unless I want to add music to it.

Jimmytee
04-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Is that a question about iPods Jimmy?

Well, it really wasn't a question, just a statement. I've read more than one thread with issues using an I-Pod. Just am at a loss as to what advantage there is in using an I-pod. Other than adding music, my flash drive stays in the bag. If something were to happen to it, it isn't that expensive to replace.

GiddyupF6B
04-12-2015, 07:36 AM
I use a 64 gig flash drive. I guess I am at a loss at how using an I-pod hooked up in the saddlebag is different than plugging in a flashdrive. I'd understand the navigation thing if you had physical control over the I-pod, but aren't you using the I-pod hooked up into the USB connection at which point it just becomes a mass storage device? You still navigate using the F6B controls correct? That's how I change folders and songs etc.. as well. My flash drive never leaves the saddlebag unless I want to add music to it.
You do have control over the iPod functions through the Wing controls. As I typed above there as several ways to search for songs, albums, artists, genres, etc. It is also customizable with playlists so you can scroll through the different playlists that you set up hearing what you want when you want. The flash drive is a simple basic list of songs that isn't very user friendly at all. If you're happy with the flash drive then enjoy, for me the IPod is the only way to go.

53driver
04-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Well, it really wasn't a question, just a statement. I've read more than one thread with issues using an I-Pod. Just am at a loss as to what advantage there is in using an I-pod. Other than adding music, my flash drive stays in the bag. If something were to happen to it, it isn't that expensive to replace.

I understand your point, Jimmy...however....
If one has a Sound Company, (Semper Fi Sound, LLC) and does DJ work, and one has a Numark mixer that uses dual-ing iPods and all one's music (29,000 songs) is already in iTunes to accommodate the business, and since using iTunes "sort of" ensures no copy write/stolen music issues (protects the company), why would I go through the pain to get all my music in .wav format?

And I find .mp3 format usually unsuitable due to compression and poor sampling rate - unless I did it myself, but then, if I needed non Apple format, I would use .wav.
Hope that answers the mail! :icon_mrgreen:

Fla_rider
04-12-2015, 09:13 AM

+1:yes: same here. I use an iPod classic.

Fla_rider
04-12-2015, 09:17 AM

Yeah but can you watch movies thru the small display with your USB? Page 96 in the manual.

:crackup: