PDA

View Full Version : Half helmet advice?

Necanefan
04-11-2015, 11:01 PM
I've always used a full face or modular helmet. Unfortunately, my current Nolan modular won't fit in the F6B panniers. So, for around-town driving I'm going to purchase my first half-helmet and reserve the Nolan for touring.
Do you have any advice on a choice for a value-priced half helmet? I know the protection won't be that of a full face, but the more protection and comfort, the better.

Thanks,
Jeff

Steve 0080
04-11-2015, 11:09 PM
http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#p=R&w=half%2520helmets&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cyclegear.com%2fsearch%2fgo%3 fw%3dstreet%2520half%2520helmets%26ts%3dajax&rk=1&uid=116954042&ts=rac&rt=racsug&rsc=Z8x:yN8b2witU1ZS&asug=half%20helmets?apelog=yes

This is where I would start and stop...

bigbird
04-11-2015, 11:29 PM
Scorpion EXO-C110

srt8-in-largo
04-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Have you considered a 3/4? This is what I'd recommend... even though I ride in the blistering heat of Florida and would prefer the air flow of a 1/2.

My size L Spin Doctor 3/4 fits in either saddlebag

http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#p=R&w=half%2520helmets&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cyclegear.com%2fsearch%2fgo%3 fw%3dstreet%2520half%2520helmets%26ts%3dajax&rk=1&uid=116954042&ts=rac&rt=racsug&rsc=Z8x:yN8b2witU1ZS&asug=half%20helmets?apelog=yes

This is where I would start and stop...

Aw c'mon... Revzilla is the place to go for motorcycle product info :icon_biggrin:

Anthony there is the man!

JackB
04-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Find a store that has many brands. Some half helmets sit on top of your head and feel like they are falling off. I had one of those and sold it and bought one that sits a little lower and feels like a baseball hat. Good luck.

Old Ryder
04-12-2015, 08:12 AM
I use a Shoei St Cruz if you can find one. I wear a med in half helmets and a large in 3/4 (imagine the Coneheads). In the St Cruz the small fits perfect and they are still around. I think that they run a size larger.
http://www.saferacer.com/shoei-st-cruz-helmet?gclid=CLjHxdT18MQCFcIdgQodhYIAOQ

My other favorite is the Bell Drifter (style) and Pit Boss (function) depending on your taste. I also have the Scorpion, but they are heavy for the size. JMHO. That may not be a deal breaker for you.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/542-064?adpos=1o5&creative=42616780450&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&cid=Google+SEARCH+NON-BRAND+PLA+-+Shopping+Campaign&gclid=CMa_ooH28MQCFerm7AodLEAA3Q

https://www.google.com/search?q=bell+pit+boss&es_sm=91&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5HkqVao0y4w2ye-BmAE&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1865&bih=962

DaWadd
04-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Akoury helmets make a very light DOT half helmet. Not overpriced either.

zeus661
04-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Just bought a Bell Rogue myself and like it a lot. Had a SuperSeer before that went through a spill with me. The Superseer is a great helmet but new now they are around $350.

Jimmytee
04-12-2015, 09:00 AM
I like my Scorpion half helmet. It's all I ride with. Have a Scala on it, it has a tinted shield I can drop down if I choose. Have had the thought of buying a decent modular or full face helmet for colder weather. Right now I use a mask if it's really chilly.

Hardrock
04-12-2015, 09:09 AM
The Bell Pit Boss will be my next helmet. Has an adjuster on the back like a bicycle helmet that really snugs it to your head. Also doesn't make you look like a mushroom head.

Texas TC
04-12-2015, 09:20 AM
I have a Bell half helmet. However, as previously mentioned, I prefer 3/4 helmet with half face shield. My XL HJC fits well in the left saddlebag as does the Bell half helmet. Both helmets are reasonably priced.

Old Ryder
04-12-2015, 09:39 AM
The Bell Pit Boss will be my next helmet. Has an adjuster on the back like a bicycle helmet that really snugs it to your head. Also doesn't make you look like a mushroom head.

I think all of the Bell half helmets have that now. I was looking at a Drifter 3 years ago and it did not have it. However the Drifter I bought in February does as does my Pit Boss.

Steve 0080
04-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Here is great helmet I bought and have worn maybe a 1/2 dozen times...

bigbird
04-12-2015, 03:30 PM
Here is great helmet I bought and have worn maybe a 1/2 dozen times...

I think the OP was looking for a half helmet..

Steve 0080
04-12-2015, 04:35 PM
I know, but this one has a twin that is a 1/2...

Hardrock
04-12-2015, 04:57 PM
Old Ryder- since you have both the Bell Drifter and the Pit Boss, how would you compare them? Are they the same dimensions externally? Same fit? If they are, I might get the Drifter as its around $45 on clearance.

Necanefan
04-12-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I didn't realize there were half helmets available with retractable sun visors. That is my favorite feature of my current Nolan modular. I decided between the Scorpion EXO-C110, Bell Put Boss and the Gmax GM65. Since I am not yet certain if I will like wearing a half helmet (I've worn full face and modulars for 30 years), I went with the Gmax based purely on the cost through Revzilla ($59). If I decide i don't like the feel of the half helmet, or want a pricier half lid, I won't be out of pocket much for the test. Revzilla is always lightning fast, so I should know if I like it pretty soon.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Vol1chuck
04-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Make sure to look at daytona. Not "mushroomy" at all.

bobbyf6b
04-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Bell Pit Boss. It's adjustable and when you get it snug it won't bobble around on your head. Also has a pull down tinted eye shield if you forget or don't want to wear sunglasses. I love mine!

Another bonus is it has a removable cold weather wrap that covers your ears. Works great.

MarcPW
04-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Welcome to this great forum !

I have the Bell Mag 9 Senna and very happy with it. And you can snug the Senna Intercom system easily. :039:

srt8-in-largo
04-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Make sure to look at daytona. Not "mushroomy" at all.

You don't like the mushroom look?

:icon_biggrin:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MvboSdiA9WU/VFlfK3Yoe7I/AAAAAAAACRA/4j3IpqLO_1A/s800/MV5BMjE2MjM0MjQ0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTAwNzY3._V1_S X640_SY720_.jpg

Old Ryder
04-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Old Ryder- since you have both the Bell Drifter and the Pit Boss, how would you compare them? Are they the same dimensions externally? Same fit? If they are, I might get the Drifter as its around $45 on clearance.

Been a Bell guy for years. Style, weight and price all factor in my helmet choices. You probably bought the B because you liked the way it looked and to me the helmet is part of the package. The Drifter is larger and slighter heavier--more than the Pit Boss but not as heavy as the Scorpion. I bought it because I love the cool looks---and it was $50 at JP this year in Daytona. It sits higher on your head and is bigger around. Pit Boss has the neck curtain which I use a lot (even on the Shoei's) to keep the wind noise down where the Drifter just have pads over the ears. Last year the Bell 500 was $50 and , yea I got one of them too and gave it to my son in law. Bang for the buck, it is hard to beat Bell. And because they fit my noggin perfect--more oval shape. The Pit Boss is smaller, lighter and also has the drop down shield just like the Scorpion but that does not matter to me as I never use it. I never walk out of the house while it is light without sunglasses and I only wear good ones. Not just to look cool, but you only get one set of eyes and I guard them with cover and UV protection as much as I can. No Foster Grants--only Oakley, Costa and prescription lenses with every coating you can get. Sorry, but it is part of my OCD, anal retentive personality that I fight. Looking thru cheap plastic with a tinted coating that is not clear does harm to your eyes over the long run (my research) and only Shoei and Nolan have shields that I think are up to snuff. JMHO. Anyway, see for yourself from the pics. I have included a picture of some of my other choices. Also, as I said, I love the Shoei St Cruz--yea, you do see 2 of them. Don't ask. :icon_redface:

TnHeath
04-13-2015, 09:34 AM
Bell Pit Boss. It's adjustable and when you get it snug it won't bobble around on your head. Also has a pull down tinted eye shield if you forget or don't want to wear sunglasses. I love mine!

Another bonus is it has a removable cold weather wrap that covers your ears. Works great.

I have a Schuberth C3 Pro, Noland N44, and a Shoei Neotec; when weather permits the Bell Pit Boss is what I wear. Finest half helmet I have ever worn...

Bweiner10
04-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Does the helmet have to be DOT approved (does your state have a helmet law)? I live in Az where we done and I wear a helmet from headtrip helmets. I have had 2 and love them. That being said, I haven't used it on the ground if you know what I mean. I have taken a few rocks and large bugs off the noggin and no worse for wear!

http://www.headtriphelmets.com/

srt8-in-largo
04-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Does the helmet have to be DOT approved (does your state have a helmet law)? I live in Az where we done and I wear a helmet from headtrip helmets. I have had 2 and love them. That being said, I haven't used it on the ground if you know what I mean. I have taken a few rocks and large bugs off the noggin and no worse for wear!

Oh wow; these are beautiful.

Old Ryder
04-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Shame they are not DOT approved. Whenever you cannot find a price on the website, my first thought is they must be expensive. You can even send them in for repair???????

Necanefan
04-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Shame they are not DOT approved. Whenever you cannot find a price on the website, my first thought is they must be expensive. You can even send them in for repair???????

If you hit the "place order" tab, the prices show up. $124-$144 or so for a half helmet. They really are beautiful! If they were DOT approved, I would likely try one.

Necanefan
04-17-2015, 06:04 PM

They really look great! We have a helmet law in NE, otherwise. I would likely try one.

hiflyer
04-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Here's a legit question. What's the point of wearing a helmet that's not DOT? Just to fake out the po po while styling???:shrug:

srt8-in-largo
04-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Style :icon_biggrin:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6TFQgt-Vx2c/UqpTFDx-VrI/AAAAAAAABno/eT464HoDZDg/s800/mrmVE.gif

mtcgun
04-19-2015, 08:47 PM
SUPER SEER.

Old Ryder
04-20-2015, 07:12 AM
Here's a legit question. What's the point of wearing a helmet that's not DOT? Just to fake out the po po while styling???:shrug:

My thoughts exactly. But I will say this. Riding is a gamble, especially with all the cell phones out there distracting a large percentage of the drivers. A good helmet offers some protection, but the best helmet EVER is no sure fire insurance that you will live in a bad crash--- or worse, that you will live and, ----------------------------well, you know.

edgeman55
04-20-2015, 10:38 AM
My thoughts exactly. But I will say this. Riding is a gamble, especially with all the cell phones out there distracting a large percentage of the drivers. A good helmet offers some protection, but the best helmet EVER is no sure fire insurance that you will live in a bad crash--- or worse, that you will live and, ----------------------------well, you know.

So very true.Hell at my age I can hurt myself getting up from my Lazyboy!When it's your time well it's your time.

Bweiner10
04-23-2015, 12:49 AM
That's a good question I have asked myself. I think, for me, it's a level of comfort thing. I rode for a long time in a helmet law state before moving to Az, so I do like to have something on my head. The head trip helmet supposedly does provide dot level of protection, just without the thickness of a dot approved helmet, so it does not earn a dot sticker. Personally, I'm hopping not to bounce my head off the pavement to find out!!! Also keeps the wife happy:icon_biggrin:

Old Ryder
04-23-2015, 07:05 AM
One of the things I have learned the hard---or shall I say--the expensive way, is that the weight has a lot to do with the comfort. When I was younger it did not matter. But as I get older, it becomes more and more noticeable. I love my brief trips to "non helmet" states where I throw caution to the wind and bare my "non DOT approved noggin". I have bought a number of helmets and find my neck gets tired--and then sore. One of them was the HJC BT Max. Great helmet, but like putting a concrete block on top of your head. Wore it one time for about an hour and then it had to go. Whenever I look at a new lid, I always check the weight-- anything between 900-1300 grams is acceptable and wonderful and then I look at the style. Some others that I like in addition to Bell is the Vega--or Stealth (same company but different product lines).

fxdl2051
04-23-2015, 10:50 PM
About 25 % of all head injuries are occurring below the level of the protection offered by a half helmit, that said if it's hot enough I still wear one. Anything between me and the tarmac is still better than just my crunchy cranium.