PDA

View Full Version : Newbies - Don't Do What I Did

Stick
04-14-2015, 06:25 PM
First time I fueled up the new bike, I popped open the lid, removed the gas cap, and mindlessly set it in the convenient little gap between the right hand handlebar, and the cowl. Finished fueling, closed the lid and drove off. Ooooops, forgot the gas cap. OOOOOPS!! Out of sight, out of mine!
All was fine until it was time to make a right hand turn. With that gas cap under the handle bar, well, it wasn't pretty. Fortunately, no one in oncoming lane, so got off easy. :banghead:
Here's a fine solution to prevent that from ever happening again: A short, thin little cable. One end attaches to the top of the gas cap. The other end to one of the screws on the hinge of the gas filler lid. Inexpensive and easy install.

A great little accessory!

Ixol Phaane
04-14-2015, 07:15 PM
First time I fueled up the new bike, I popped open the lid, removed the gas cap, and mindlessly set it in the convenient little gap between the right hand handlebar, and the cowl. Finished fueling, closed the lid and drove off. Ooooops, forgot the gas cap. OOOOOPS!! Out of sight, out of mine!
All was fine until it was time to make a right hand turn. With that gas cap under the handle bar, well, it wasn't pretty. Fortunately, no one in oncoming lane, so got off easy. :banghead:
Here's a fine solution to prevent that from ever happening again: A short, thin little cable. One end attaches to the top of the gas cap. The other end to one of the screws on the hinge of the gas filler lid. Inexpensive and easy install.

OR

...just put the cap in the fuel filler area or on the dash.

stroguy
04-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Wowsers. Funny how humans can pigeon hole crap but never remember where those holes are.

Anyone seen my remote?

opas ride
04-14-2015, 07:34 PM
OR

+1....No issues using the above info...Always put mine in the fuel filler cover....

Stick
04-14-2015, 07:48 PM
OR

Yep, sure could. But with that little cable, I can't get stupid again. Wife's opinion doesn't count - - :icon_rolleyes:

Steve 0080
04-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Hey " __it Happends" to the best of us,,,no harm no foul...lesson learned !!!!

Ixol Phaane
04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Yep, sure could. But with that little cable, I can't get stupid again. Wife's opinion doesn't count - - :icon_rolleyes:
:clap2:

srt8-in-largo
04-14-2015, 11:15 PM
I agree; don't do that :icon_biggrin:

rule62
04-15-2015, 08:04 AM
I put mine between the right grip and the brake.

Texas TC
04-15-2015, 08:16 AM
Mine goes on the seat or in the Kury cup holder. Never forget to replace it in either location. One would be devastating to sit on and the other is in full view. :shock:

CheesyRider
04-15-2015, 09:27 AM
First I put the bike on the center stand. Then, I set my gloves on my seat and set the gas cap on top of my gloves. Three fill-ups so far and no problems!

Stick
04-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks, guys!
Stick

Fla_rider
04-28-2015, 08:44 PM
My cap has a leash, can't go much further then the door! :moon:

seadog
05-05-2015, 04:53 PM

If when you take it off you flip it upside down and set it over the ignition switch. It sets there quit nicely and you won't forget it because you have to move it to put the ignition key back in. Works for me every time.....

Jimmytee
05-05-2015, 05:02 PM
Funny thing happened to me the other day. I was riding with a group and we were going to support a local Poker Run Charity. During the ride, I kept smelling gasoline and assumed someone in front of me was running really rich. After the ride, while riding home I got that same whiff of gasoline and with no one in front of me to blame it on, I had the realization of what happened. Yep, I was distracted while fueling up that morning and never put my cap back on. I always set it next to the filler hole. Once the cover is shut , however, it is out of sight out of mind. Until I smell gas.:icon_biggrin: I did it once before, last year.