PDA

View Full Version : Well I finally found the front end wobble

wylbur78
04-15-2015, 02:49 AM
I was on my way home yesterday and riding in the HOV lane here in Houston and got frustrated being behind someone that was going 60 and passed them at a certain point that was safe to do so."fireybat" As I was passing them I looked down and noticed I was already up to 90 after kicking it down into 3rd and traveling back up into 5th so I figured what the Hell let's keep going since I had plenty of room and at about 115 or so I felt the whole bike start kinda wobble or wallow down the road :yikes: so I almost hit the shutoff point and decided to back out of it. Has anyone else noticed this at this speed and what is the cause? Will a Super Brace fix it or is maybe the tire slightly out of balance? :shrug:

Thanks,
Wylbur

Jimmytee
04-15-2015, 05:05 AM
I was on my way home yesterday and riding in the HOV lane here in Houston and got frustrated being behind someone that was going 60 and passed them at a certain point that was safe to do so."fireybat" As I was passing them I looked down and noticed I was already up to 90 after kicking it down into 3rd and traveling back up into 5th so I figured what the Hell let's keep going since I had plenty of room and at about 115 or so I felt the whole bike start kinda wobble or wallow down the road :yikes: so I almost hit the shutoff point and decided to back out of it. Has anyone else noticed this at this speed and what is the cause? Will a Super Brace fix it or is maybe the tire slightly out of balance? :shrug:

Thanks,
Wylbur

Have never felt any wobble at those speeds.:shrug: Don't spend much time at those speeds, but have had her up to the speed limiter a few times and have never experienced any wobble or unsettling characteristic. The wobble I get and everyone else seems to get is right at about 40 mph.
(Between 37-42 mph)
It's really a non issue unless you want to take your hands off the handlebars right at the speed.

Texas TC
04-15-2015, 08:23 AM
Have never felt any wobble at those speeds.:shrug: Don't spend much time at those speeds, but have had her up to the speed limiter a few times and have never experienced any wobble or unsettling characteristic. The wobble I get and everyone else seems to get is right at about 40 mph.
(Between 37-42 mph)
It's really a non issue unless you want to take your hands off the handlebars right at the speed.

Wow! Didn't think the F6B had that wobble in her. My two full Wings, '08 & '12 year models both had terrible cases of the dreaded Wing wobble. In 27,000 miles, I have never experienced it on my F6B.

I have yet to hit the limiter on my bike so I cannot comment on high speed handling much over a hundred. At that speed, it was still very stable.

bobbyf6b
04-15-2015, 08:31 AM
A Superbrace will definitely reduce that effect.

Mine has made lane changes much more smooth, and no more wiggles on the big sweeping freeway transition ramps either. :yes::yes:

Texas TC
04-15-2015, 11:32 AM
A Superbrace will definitely reduce that effect.

Mine has made lane changes much more smooth, and no more wiggles on the big sweeping freeway transition ramps either. :yes::yes:

Maybe, Bobby. I have had my SuperBrace for over two years.

srt8-in-largo
04-15-2015, 01:21 PM
I'd check your tire balance. As mentioned, the known wobble is at 40... decelerating... with hands off the handlebars.

Mine is smooth at triple digits.

bobbyf6b
04-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Maybe, Bobby. I have had my SuperBrace for over two years.

It definitely depends on each bike because I don't have the 40 mph wobble.

Steve 0080
04-15-2015, 01:40 PM
You are the first to complain about the high speed wobble.......interesting... :yikes:

GiddyupF6B
04-15-2015, 01:45 PM
I've been well past 120 (on a closed course with proper safety gear of course) and it was smooth as butter.......

bobbyf6b
04-15-2015, 01:50 PM
I've had half a dozen different windshields on mine and have noticed it feel different at high speeds. I'm sure the way the air is pushed over the bike effects handling.

wylbur78
04-15-2015, 01:54 PM
I have heard of the slow speed wobble and never noticed it till yesterday after having the high speed wobble at around the 115 mark and on up. So I'm not so sure but I don't ride at those speeds too much myself, kinda gotten out of it. Maybe it's the Harley rider in me. :icon_lol: I ride anywhere from 70 to 80 maybe 85 but I just have no interest in going triple digits anymore. I've been 190 on a bike and 175 in a car on the open road and have learned that just too much can happen too fast at those speeds. I'm definitely more of a laid back cruising type to just take in the scenery as I go by. :popcorn:"coffee" I will definitely look into the super brace and have my tires checked. Thanks again guys with all the help. I really like this forum everyone is so helpful and seems like everyone wants to try and help the other guy. grouphug

wylbur78
04-15-2015, 01:57 PM
I've had half a dozen different windshields on mine and have noticed it feel different at high speeds. I'm sure the way the air is pushed over the bike effects handling.

That would make sense Bobby, never thought about that one, :icon_doh:because you're right I had a couple different windshields on my Harley and noticed different handling characteristics at higher speeds. Again I don't ride that fast too often so it may not ever bother me again, but I will definitely have the tires checked.

zman
04-15-2015, 07:36 PM
Last month I was on RTE 66 between Kingman, AZ and Seligman, AZ and got up on the speed limiter (125mph) several times with no speed wobble at all. :yes:

srt8-in-largo
04-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Well I sure hope you didn't find some kind of new wobble :icon_biggrin:

Have you used anything like Ride On Tire Sealant/Balancer (http://www.ride-on.com/)? I bought some but haven't tried it yet; I think some folks here have had good luck with it.

wylbur78
04-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Well I sure hope you didn't find some kind of new wobble :icon_biggrin:

Have you used anything like Ride On Tire Sealant/Balancer (http://www.ride-on.com/)? I bought some but haven't tried it yet; I think some folks here have had good luck with it.

No I haven't tried anything as of yet. Not completely sure if I will do anything other than the brace for now. Like I said it's smooth as glass all the way up to that speed and I don't plan on going that fast again anytime soon.

F6B Rider
04-15-2015, 11:28 PM
I did in fact experience the oh :moon: wobbles at about 110, also wondered if the fork brace would help? I also believe I am better off under 100. The road was smooth, 4k miles on the 2013 f6b, no other tire balance problems.

seadog
04-16-2015, 04:59 AM
What are you running your tire pressure at? If your up near 40 psi that probably isn't the cause but if your running down further in pressure that has a lot to do with how a tire operates at higher speeds. My old bike an M109R Suzuki had a wobble when I got up around 120mph but after increasing the pressure in my tires I never had it happen again.

Jimmytee
04-16-2015, 05:00 AM
Wow! Didn't think the F6B had that wobble in her. My two full Wings, '08 & '12 year models both had terrible cases of the dreaded Wing wobble. In 27,000 miles, I have never experienced it on my F6B.

I have yet to hit the limiter on my bike so I cannot comment on high speed handling much over a hundred. At that speed, it was still very stable.

If just one hand is on the handlebars, you may not even notice it. You almost have to be looking for it on my bike. It only becomes apparent if you take both hands off the handlebars between 37 and 42 mph approx.:shrug:

Steve 0080
04-16-2015, 08:26 AM

I have been in several high speed wobbles...mostly always caused by a change in the way the bike cuts thru the air...with our big fairing not sure a shield could cause this...but maybe...

redinoliver
05-08-2015, 09:05 PM

I had mine up to 130 mph to-day ,when the speed sensor spoiled my fun. A slow wobble started at around 115 mph. I have the Honda tall windshield and baker hand wings . It feels like there is too much down pressure on the front end.

shooter
05-08-2015, 09:11 PM
Been north of 120 several times and smooth as butter. Did it with the stock Stones several times and now dark side Michelin Alpin on rear and Metz 888 on front.

jm21ddd15
05-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Have had none so far on the 2015 F6. As was said in previous post by others, windshield height will affect this. Possibly other add-ons too. I road yesterday in southwest Wisconsin, with cross wind gusts to 40mph. That made for a rather exciting ride. Not so fun on the hilltops. I couldn't feel any wobble, while fighting the wind. But, may be something I may try, getting the brace.

shooter
05-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Bobby you may have something with that windshield thing. I run 13 inch shield which is fairly short. Could be a down pressure thing. Hard to say. I don't do the high speed thing on real windy days and it is that time of year.

opas ride
05-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Never experienced any type of front end "wobble" at any speeds so far....Although I am not one of those "risky" types that take their hands of the bars just to check. Pretty poor idea to me, as that it what the handlebars are for...to hold on to....JMHO

grendl
05-09-2015, 10:06 AM
With mine I noticed the 30-40mph wobble when I took my hands off the bars to flap my arms like a bird.I was feeling pretty good and the ride was just exhilarating ( I DON'T recommend this).
I mentioned that in a forum and one of the Senior members recommended raising the tire pressure on the front to 40psi.
That worked the wobble was gone.
I have taken the bike up to 115 with no issues at all, but havent touched the rev limiter. No I am not releasing the bars to check that :-)
I talked with a State trooper about their 1400 Connies one day and was surprised that he told me they chipped their bikes at 130mph.
I mentioned they would go faster than that and he advised that because of the add ons the bike was no longer stable in the triple digits. Maybe with different windshield and other pieces in the air flow,that may cause it(?)

53driver
05-09-2015, 03:57 PM
I had the front end 33-42 mph wobble.
Tire pressure was always within 37-40.
I've run it at 41 now religiously and all seems better.

Steel Cowboy
09-17-2015, 12:06 AM
Hey guys

I have the same issue with my 2014 F6, It only started a few 1000km back at low speed around 60KMH. When my bike went in for its 6000km service last week I discussed it with the tech. He believes it is the tire on front causing the issue. The heavy weight of the F6 and cornering putting the flat edge on the tire he put it down too. I will be changing from the Bridgestone on the next tire change to see if this issue can be fixed. It's not a comfortable feeling rolling back off the throttle and taking pressure off the bars.:banghead:. I do have a Kuryakyn fork brace that came with the bike.

Has anyone else found a fix for this??

Jimmytee
09-17-2015, 04:59 AM
I had the wobble from brand new at between 37 and 41 mph approx. As I've stated before, the wobble was very subtle and you could only really notice it if you happened to take both hands off the handlebars at those speeds. I am pretty good at keeping track of my tire pressure and run the pressure stated on the bike's tag. 41 in the back and 36 up front. I put on new tires in May ( same as the OEM) and the problem has disappeared. Same tires, same pressures. I've put almost 6,000 miles on those tires now and still no wobble. :icon_wink: Again, nothing changed other than I replaced the tires. But again the tires are the same Bridgestones that came on it and I run the same pressures.

wylbur78
09-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Well I did what several forum members suggested and checked my tire pressure in the front and rear and found both were low. I run 41 in the front and 42 in the rear and check them every weekend. The High Speed wobble has gone away with these pressures, yes I did do the Triples Again... "fireybat" still have the low speed wobble at 40 or so but only after taking both hands off the bars as stated before. i have now changed my rear tire as well just last week after 13500 miles and still have the factory front with plenty of tread... :clap2: I'm still debating on going to the Darkside though. 'dark-side' I just can't get passed how she'll ride in the curves as I've never Darksided before."crashnburn"

dickiedeals
09-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I did in fact experience the oh :moon: wobbles at about 110, also wondered if the fork brace would help? I also believe I am better off under 100. The road was smooth, 4k miles on the 2013 f6b, no other tire balance problems.

Is there a reason the eagle is up side down in your avatar photo?....................................Dickie

dickiedeals
09-17-2015, 12:38 PM
All Balls tapered bearings and races installed in the neck makes the wobble go away. Doesn't matter which front tire or what pressures, no more wobble.................Dickie

Jimmytee
09-17-2015, 04:16 PM
All Balls tapered bearings and races installed in the neck makes the wobble go away. Doesn't matter which front tire or what pressures, no more wobble.................Dickie

I did nothing but change my front tire and my low speed wobble disappeared. Same brand and size as came on it new, but no wobble.

gmorstad
09-17-2015, 05:40 PM

Thanks,
Wylbur

I was surprised to find mine unsteady at 105 mph. I came from the ST1300 which is famous for a high speed wobble but didn't have that problem. I was not aware of the Goldwing problem. I suspect it is one of the reasons for the limiter. It has been my understanding the bikes are tested in wind tunnels and I'm wondering if they found the design to be too dangerous past 125 mph.

dickiedeals
09-17-2015, 06:00 PM
I did nothing but change my front tire and my low speed wobble disappeared. Same brand and size as came on it new, but no wobble.

Yep when you change a half worn front tire to a new one the wobble is hidden by the new tire for a short time until that tire gets half worn and it returns. Why not fix the problem and get full mileage out of your front tires...All Balls Bearings and races $45.00 plus two hours labor at your dealer..........or keep changing tires prematurely..............Dickie

Jimmytee
09-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Yep when you change a half worn front tire to a new one the wobble is hidden by the new tire for a short time until that tire gets half worn and it returns. Why not fix the problem and get full mileage out of your front tires...All Balls Bearings and races $45.00 plus two hours labor at your dealer..........or keep changing tires prematurely..............Dickie

No,no,no. I had the wobble from original tires when they were brand new. I have had the new replacement tires on now for 6,000 miles and no wobble.:icon_cool:

dickiedeals
09-17-2015, 10:39 PM
No,no,no. I had the wobble from original tires when they were brand new. I have had the new replacement tires on now for 6,000 miles and no wobble.:icon_cool:

I got the wobble at less than 50% wear on the front tire, the dealer charged me 2 hours labor for bearing tightening and replaced my front tire ,none of which was covered under warranty.On the way home the wobble was still there only less. After 2000 miles on the tire the 40 mph wobble returned..Once again they said I need a new tire.(I say Bull after only 2000 miles)..After research I discovered the non tapered bearing issue.Tightening non tapered bearings is a waist of time and money. All Balls Tapered bearings and races are the answer.Otherwise I doubt Wing Stuff could sell them.The dealer was more than happy to install them..Same ole front tire, No Wobble...............Dickie

Jimmytee
09-18-2015, 05:29 AM
I got the wobble at less than 50% wear on the front tire, the dealer charged me 2 hours labor for bearing tightening and replaced my front tire ,none of which was covered under warranty.On the way home the wobble was still there only less. After 2000 miles on the tire the 40 mph wobble returned..Once again they said I need a new tire.(I say Bull after only 2000 miles)..After research I discovered the non tapered bearing issue.Tightening non tapered bearings is a waist of time and money. All Balls Tapered bearings and races are the answer.Otherwise I doubt Wing Stuff could sell them.The dealer was more than happy to install them..Same ole front tire, No Wobble...............Dickie

I understand that is your experience, it just hasn't been mine. As soon as I bought my bike, I noticed the 37 -41 mph wobble. It didn't happen after some wear, it was there from day 1. I had read about the issue and had also read about the tapered bearing replacement solution.All Balls is what I replaced the bearings in my Valkyrie head with. I had mentioned the issue with my dealer, and he had said the same thing about the tapered bearings. Outside of that, they could check it, but if it passed the tension/drag check it was what passed by Honda's specs. The wobble was very subtle, and really only was noticeable if I had both hands off the handlebars between the narrow speed window. I just decided to live with it for now. :icon_rolleyes:

In May, when I decided to change my tires because I was going to South Dakota, all of a sudden, the wobble was gone. The wobble is still gone after 6,000 miles. All I did was change tires. I didn't change tires because of the wobble, I changed tires because of the rear tire mainly and wanted fresh rubber for the trip and summer. I suppose the wobble could return if the bearings are indeed the cause in my situation. However, 6,000 miles in so far so good. :shhh:
Now , some suggested it was because the front tire had become cupped or something from low air pressure. NO. I routinely ensure I have the correct pressures in my tires.:icon_wink: And again, it was there from day 1 with 4 miles on the odometer.

cueman
09-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Jimmytee, What tires are your replacements? Thanks, cueman

Jimmytee
09-18-2015, 04:52 PM
That's the rub, same as the OEMs :icon_rolleyes:

Jimmytee
09-19-2015, 09:55 AM
I was surprised to find mine unsteady at 105 mph. I came from the ST1300 which is famous for a high speed wobble but didn't have that problem. I was not aware of the Goldwing problem. I suspect it is one of the reasons for the limiter. It has been my understanding the bikes are tested in wind tunnels and I'm wondering if they found the design to be too dangerous past 125 mph.

I've never noticed any instability at high speed. Mind you, I don't often take the bike into triple digits, don't want the LEO encounter. However, I have pressed the bike on secluded patches of roads to the speed limiter and never noticed any issues.:shrug: