PDA

View Full Version : Tall Riders

Big T
04-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Hi, I'm a newbie and thinking about buying a F6 and want to know what I need to be comfortable. I've read many post stating that taller riders weren't too comfy on a Wing and feeling cramped. I want to buy one but don't want to regret it later. I'm 6'5 and have a Valkyrie Interstate but it took months to get comfortable trying and adjusting highway pegs and I'm still not 100% comfortable yet.

I asked this question on the Facebook F6B page and was referred here.

Thanks in advance for any help. :icon_cool:

Limoles
04-16-2015, 11:23 AM
You will be OK with the OEM F6B seat . Original Goldwing has differently shaped seat and taller riders might feel cramped , but this shouldn't make you worry . Beside ( or if want to upgrade ) , you have many other options to choose between Ultimate's , Russell's ( and few other ) saddles . For taller riders, Mustang ( which is 1" lower than OEM and great for "short legged" ) , is not recommended .

Westernbiker
04-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Well I'm 6' 6" with a 38" inseam. I am in the process of selling my beloved '97' Valkyrie. I had to put a King Big Boy Ultimate seat on it which sat me back an extra 2". With highway pegs, new seat, tall windshield and some other minor adjustments (Handlebars, hand controls, 1" over stock rear shock ect...) I was finally good to go on that Valk for thousands of miles.
The F6B. Well, the stock seat I could not stand but others here love it. So, new Ultimate seat, which I believe it sits you up a bit higher but Ultimate says no it don't. I still feel it does. A taller wind shield and the addition of highway pegs I am able to be fairly comfortable on this bike. The seat sits you back about 1 1/2". If I had to compare the two for fit alone, I would say the Valkyrie fits better. Only because of seat position, no fairing to get my legs around to reach the highway pegs and adjustable handlebars.
But the only thing you can try is ride one FIRST, if you can. I could tell that I could make it fairly comfortable for me to ride just by sitting on it. Handlebar position took some getting use to but I am good with it now. I would like them a bit further away from me and higher up, that would be nice.
As said before, try to ride one first.
There are more and more after market items coming out to help in this whole area.
Just my 2 cents worth.

edgeman55
04-16-2015, 11:47 AM
I am 6'5" and around 380lbs with a 32" inseam so I have a long torso.I gave up riding Goldwings after 25 years on them from a 75 1000 to my last 1500.When the 1800 Goldwing came out I wanted to get one so bad but had no room as my knees with the stock seat hit the fairing and I felt very cramped in the cockpit.When they came out with the F6B I could not wait to sit on one and long story short this is the best ride I have had the pleasure to own.I have plenty of room and so far after 10 thousand miles I still find the stock seat works but I may get a Ultimate or Daylong saddle down the road.I also installed the Kury mini boards which lower the foot position down 3/4" and can be adjusted fore and aft.Plus a 19" vented Baggershield windscreen with the Baker hand winds are great with my torso height.Find one you can sit on and you will be pleased and if you can get a test ride on one you will want to get one:yes:

Navvet
04-16-2015, 11:50 AM
I added the roadsmith comfort controls ..... Love them ...

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3297-Seat-advice-6-3-with-34-inseam&highlight=comfort+controls

:lolup:

Big T
04-16-2015, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys for all the help and great info! It looks like I'll have plenty of options and I do know I love Ultimate seats as I have them on all my bikes if I should need them. As most all have said I will need to ride one first to know. :icon_wink:

Limoles
04-16-2015, 01:52 PM
Good luck and ... keep smiling on your new B !

RoadSurfer
04-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Westernbiker mentioned the issue of the "fairing to get my legs around to reach the highway pegs," and I wonder about that. I had Kuryakin pegs mounted on the crash bars of my GL1800, but the width of the fairing lowers did make it awkward to reach them comfortably. The lowers on the F6B are almost an inch narrower on each side. Can anyone confirm that that makes enough of a difference?

Old Ryder
04-17-2015, 05:48 PM
I had a 99 Valk Interstate--- I am 6'1" and if you could make that thing fit you, the B should be no problem. (Can you say Kury ERGO III?)