PDA

View Full Version : Honda NM4??

srt8-in-largo
04-17-2015, 07:21 PM
http://powersports.honda.com/nm4.aspx

FlaMike
04-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Another bomb from Honda. :no:
You gotta wonder what the design team is smoking. Can you say DN01.

Ridlikhel
04-17-2015, 07:43 PM
Not into the space crap.

srt8-in-largo
04-17-2015, 07:44 PM
The DN01 is hot compared to this monstrosity :icon_biggrin:

53driver
04-17-2015, 09:10 PM
I sat on the NM4 at Daytona. Wasn't so bad....
I wouldn't pay their price for it though.

Kurare79
04-18-2015, 12:47 AM
I like that Honda is trying something new and giving a motorcycle a totally different look. But like 53driver already said, i agree that the price is too high for that low engine.

Brian D
04-18-2015, 07:18 AM
Don't worry after it sits for a few months and doesn't sell Honda will drop the price and screw everyone that paid full price just like they did on the f6b. I'm not digging the the futuristic look of the bike but maybe the future is now. I instrament cluster looks modern.

Jimmytee
04-18-2015, 07:29 AM
I've not seen one in person. My impressions of the pics I've seen is Ughhh. However, got a friend who says he saw one at a local dealer and didn't think it was too bad. He rides a 14 FJR. As functionality goes, I bet it is a hoot 'round town with the low seat height .Kind of like a non scooter scooter.:icon_rolleyes: It would seem the engine size would be the most limiting factor for any highway use as we're used to. I don't know about Honda anymore. I have been a lifelong Honda rider from dirt to street. If it wasn't for the F6B, I would have switched brands with my last purchase. The inspiration that went into making a bike like the original Valkyrie is gone. Unless you want a Crotch rocket, they're cruiser line is uninspiring. It just seems like they don't put any effort into their motorcycle line up anymore.

Airborne06
04-18-2015, 09:27 AM
I understand that "style" is subjective and an acquired taste...but it makes me a bit anxious regarding a new Goldwing design if this is the path to the future being followed by Mother Honda. :yikes:

Necanefan
04-18-2015, 09:38 AM
It would seem the engine size would be the most limiting factor for any highway use as we're used to.

I would assume this is the same engine Honda used in their NT700 a few years agoj with an automatic transmission added. If so, it should be more than capable on the highway. I had an NT700 for about 18 months and 25,000 miles. I rode it all over the country without issues. It was a fun, practical little bike that could do most everything adequately.
But, the design of this new Honda is just plain ugly. It will be available in 2 years at a huge discount would be my guess.

Jimmytee
04-18-2015, 09:52 AM
I would assume this is the same engine Honda used in their NT700 a few years agoj with an automatic transmission added. If so, it should be more than capable on the highway. I had an NT700 for about 18 months and 25,000 miles. I rode it all over the country without issues. It was a fun, practical little bike that could do most everything adequately.
But, the design of this new Honda is just plain ugly. It will be available in 2 years at a huge discount would be my guess.

The key to what I was saying is "as we're used to""coffee"

I ride a Valkyrie and a F6B, not sure I'd be too happy with something in that displacement for anything other than short local jaunts.

motozeke
04-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Don't worry, Honda didn't make this bike for you guys. The U.S. is not their primary market; this is an Asian bike for Asian customers. Honda brought it in because, I don't know, they're just Honda. Honda does it's own thing.

They build the Goldwing and cruisers for Americans. Europe and Asia are bigger markets than America for the rest of the stuff.

srt8-in-largo
04-18-2015, 10:09 PM
But... *what* is it? :icon_biggrin:

200/50r17 rear tires... with only a 65 hp engine (??)

Large panniers... with only a 3 gallon fuel tank (??)

... Honda will drop the price and screw everyone that paid full price just like they did on the f6b....

No sense in being bitter. Everybody knows that buying a new vehicle is never a smart financial move regardless of brand. Sure it sux for those of us who paid near full retail but I promise you, I WILL get my money's worth :icon_biggrin:

VP8
04-18-2015, 10:15 PM
This bike was at the Long Beach Motorcycle International Show and a lot of people were hovering around it. My dealer said there is a waiting list for this bike and not many are sent to the U.S.

This bike reminds me of a scooter that is capable of going on the freeway like the Bergman. It's lightweight, has low storage capacity, low to the ground, automatic transmission and your floorboards are in front of you.

srt8-in-largo
04-19-2015, 12:31 AM
I guess I'm a little behind in my thinking on scooters. I just Googled the Bergman... 613lbs... 650cc motor...$12,990. WOW.

That's a full on motorcycle in scooter clothes :icon_biggrin:

wantone
04-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Don't worry, Honda didn't make this bike for you guys. The U.S. is not their primary market; this is an Asian bike for Asian customers. Honda brought it in because, I don't know, they're just Honda. Honda does it's own thing.

They build the Goldwing and cruisers for Americans. Europe and Asia are bigger markets than America for the rest of the stuff.

I wonder when Honda is going to introduce Reverse on F6B in US. They already have that in Australia and Europe. I know lot of short riders wud luv to have that comfort of reverse. I have a bad right knee and I'm only 5'5. I was embarrassed other day when I cudn't push the bike back while with my friends. There was a small dip in the parking lot where my front tire was and I cudn't push it back out of there. I had planned to put Heli bars but I'll wait for next yr or so. Hopefully Honda introduces reverse here in US.

Old Ryder
04-20-2015, 07:29 AM
I checked it out at Daytona---and I am sure Honda should hire me for their marketing dept. Everything I like has a very short life span---I bought a 99 Valkyrie and 1800 VTX--both discontinued. I love the CTX 1300 and new Valk--probably soon to be discontinued. Personally, I love the bike if it were about 25% larger on size and around 1300cc - 1800cc and a normal "motorcycle transmission". I loved the DNO1. I was told that it stood for Do Not Own 1.

I love bikes that don't seem to sell or stay around too long--I.E. Rune. You got to give it to Honda. They go where no other motorcycle company will dare tread and sink money into these designs that we mostly agree will have the life expectancy of a house fly. It don't fit me, but I think it is the cat's pajamas and I applaud Big Red for stepping out there---they are the Anti-Harley. I had a 1990 Heritage Softail and my wife could not tell the difference between it and the 2015 model other than the "round air cleaner". Not criticizing, but pointing out the difference in bike company directions. Honda is not slow to try something different and new. We are all grateful they produced the B. :icon_cool:

2bikemike
04-20-2015, 07:55 AM
I guess I'm a little behind in my thinking on scooters. I just Googled the Bergman... 613lbs... 650cc motor...$12,990. WOW.

That's a full on motorcycle in scooter clothes :icon_biggrin:

My dad has a bregman and you are correct. that thing keeps up even at around 70. I do keep telling him to put a playing card in the spokes so it will make some noise.

Injun Joe
04-20-2015, 09:50 AM
I guess I don't get all the hatred. I like it fine stylistically, but more than that, I like that Honda is willing to try new things. Let's remember the original Goldwing was an odd duck when it first came out. For that matter, it still is. I like riding with a company that tries new things. But with innovating comes the understanding there will be a fair amount of failures.

srt8-in-largo
04-20-2015, 10:26 AM
You guys are absolutely right that companies need to take some risks and try new things.

Another example is Intel; they used to only make simple memory components until the 1980's they decided to look into this new contraption called a computer and try making processors for it... that "risky" move turned them into a 30 billion dollar company.

DaWadd
04-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Gotta give Mother Honda credit for trying new designs but I think the salesroom floor will tell. They have had some failures recently in the bike lineup. Looks cool but I prefer manual shifting.

53driver
04-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Gotta give Mother Honda credit for trying new designs but I think the salesroom floor will tell. They have had some failures recently in the bike lineup. Looks cool but I prefer manual shifting.

It will let you manually shift...

DaWadd
04-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Sorry, thought it was fully automatic.:icon_doh:

53driver
04-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Sorry, thought it was fully automatic.:icon_doh:

Don't be sorry mate!
I sat on it, didn't see the clutch and assumed the same until the 20-something came over and she showed me where the paddle shifter was....no toes involved.

srt8-in-largo
04-20-2015, 12:47 PM

Looks cool ...

Did you look at it with, or WITHOUT, glasses on :icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
04-23-2015, 10:34 PM
It's a recumbent motorcycle :icon_biggrin:

It's actually kinda growing on me...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2015-honda-nm4-review.html

hiflyer
04-23-2015, 11:24 PM

Don't put a riderscan on it, you sure don't want to see what you look like riding it!:moon:

Ixol Phaane
04-24-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty sure a radar detector won't be needed. It looks like this "stealth bike" should have a really low Radar Cross Section!
Go faster! :icon_biggrin:

To (mis)quote a certain domed fighting arena intro...
"Ladies and gentlemen... boys and girls... Flyin' time is here."

It's just a matter of time before Honda makes this happen. :icon_biggrin:

53driver
04-24-2015, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure a radar detector won't be needed. It looks like this "stealth bike" should have a really low Radar Cross Section!
Go faster! :icon_biggrin:

To (mis)quote a certain domed fighting arena intro...
"Ladies and gentlemen... boys and girls... Flyin' time is here."

It's just a matter of time before Honda makes this happen. :icon_biggrin:

I'm gonna hold out for this instead:

(I hope the first iteration has cruise control...and of course, there shall be no need for darkside debate :stirthepot:)

Ixol Phaane
04-24-2015, 01:51 PM
I'm gonna hold out for this instead:

Ooooh! Me likee! :clap2:

racer
04-24-2015, 03:09 PM

This seems likely. Probably not targeting the American consumer.

racer
04-24-2015, 03:26 PM

The author says a lot with this comment:

john burns> Auphliam • 7 months ago

well a loaf of bread wouldn't fit, so I had to improvise...

I hope I didn't come off as not liking the bike, because I actually really do. I got called up to Big Bear a couple days ago from Costa Mesa, freeway slog and mountains... I had my choice of Street 750, BMW RnineT or NM4 and it was NM4 without much thought. Cruises great at 85 mph and not bad at all in the mountains either. So I pushed the fuel gauge on the way back, it was blinking for a long time when I stopped, showing 145 miles on tripmeter - and only took 2.1 gallons. That's 69 mpg, much better than other tanks. Great machine. Butt was a bit sore from the cruiseresque ergoes, but many cruisers would've been much worse. Two thumbs up, really. Just pack light.