PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the Dragon

wildrooster
04-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Just to put it out there I will be heading to take on the Dragon not this coming Saturday but the next it's something I have done almost like a ritual right after I get a new bike. I should be up in Maggie Valley staying at a friend's hotel weather permitting next Saturday and Sunday. If anyone is interested let me know. Worst case scenario I head out the following Monday

srt8-in-largo
04-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Lucky bastard :icon_biggrin:

Enjoy!

53driver
04-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Have fun!
Take video!

glryder98
04-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Hey wildrooster. I will be riding to Lexington on Sunday the 19th for the Ride for Kids rain or shine.

wildrooster
04-18-2015, 07:44 AM
I will be working tomorrow otherwise I would be there. They have me pulling ten days in a row before I head out on vacation

Jimmytee
04-18-2015, 08:04 AM
Been talking about a impromptu ride to the Dragon. You're talking about next weekend correct? I think I've got a CVMA chapter meeting on Saturday, but it wouldn't be terrible for me to miss it...."coffee" I always choose riding over sitting in a meeting for a couple of hours.

wildrooster
04-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Yeah the weekend of the 25th. There is a biker owned hotel in Maggie Valley called A Holiday Motel I normally stay at I generally don't make any reservations when I go up there but there is a classic truck show up there that weekend and I may have to stay elsewhere. I will ride up Saturday and go out to the Dragon on Sunday

Necanefan
04-18-2015, 09:46 AM
I LOVE the Dragon! One tip is to get on the Dragon very early in the morning before it gets crowded. I was fortunate enough to have it all to myself (and the photographers set up along the way) as a rain storm came through just before dawn, so most riders delayed their start a couple of hours. It can get very busy very quickly on weekend days.
Have fun!

GiddyupF6B
04-18-2015, 09:47 AM
I'm going to the Dragon for the first time ever in June......I can't wait!

Jim
04-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Were heading down there mid July with four other bikes, can't wait show off the "B". Staying in four cabins in Tellico Plains TN.

Limoles
04-18-2015, 10:25 AM
I did it too . After all I came back with badly scratched R 1150 heads , but still was worth to experience and challenge it . Hope the B will survive my another attempts , but definitely try not in weekends .

Jimmytee
04-18-2015, 11:30 AM
I did it too . After all I came back with badly scratched R 1150 heads , but still was worth to experience and challenge it . Hope the B will survive my another attempts , but definitely try not in weekends .

SOme of the most fun I've had down there has actually been on other roads in the area. They tend to be less congested with little to no LEOs.:shhh: The Dragon is fun, but like already mentioned, it's better off season or early in the morning.

Limoles
04-18-2015, 11:59 AM
SOme of the most fun I've had down there has actually been on other roads in the area. They tend to be less congested with little to no LEOs.:shhh: The Dragon is fun, but like already mentioned, it's better off season or early in the morning.

After such a annoying winter , suddenly East Coast riders flooded roads now with all kind of machines .
I am in constant search of getting on less congested and more scenic roads . Do you have any suggestions to follow up ? It doesn't need to be around the Dragon , but somewhere close to Allegheny or Great Smoky Mts. Shenandoah Valley is to flat for me . I need the thrill . Thanks.

53driver
04-18-2015, 01:43 PM
After such a annoying winter , suddenly East Coast riders flooded roads now with all kind of machines .
I am in constant search of getting on less congested and more scenic roads . Do you have any suggestions to follow up ? It doesn't need to be around the Dragon , but somewhere close to Allegheny or Great Smoky Mts. Shenandoah Valley is to flat for me . I need the thrill . Thanks.

HWY 129 going down into Georgia.
Here's a good 2 hour ride:
https://goo.gl/maps/agfNf

Limoles
04-18-2015, 02:01 PM
HWY 129 going down into Georgia.
Here's a good 2 hour ride:
https://goo.gl/maps/agfNf

That looks to me very promising . I have to add another 10 - 11 hr. to get over there , but if is worth it - WHY NOT ? Thanks anyway . This part of US is absolutely gorgeous and I might stay over there a little longer .

53driver
04-18-2015, 05:34 PM
That looks to me very promising . I have to add another 10 - 11 hr. to get over there , but if is worth it - WHY NOT ? Thanks anyway . This part of US is absolutely gorgeous and I might stay over there a little longer .

I can give you at least one more 2 hour ride. I'll need to figure out what we did first though....
This was my first time there and my buddy's 194th time....he just knew where he was going and I was following.

53driver
04-19-2015, 07:26 AM
I can give you at least one more 2 hour ride. I'll need to figure out what we did first though....
This was my first time there and my buddy's 194th time....he just knew where he was going and I was following.

We did this road too.
https://goo.gl/maps/vHOIs

wildrooster
04-21-2015, 06:24 PM
So the weather wants to be not so nice for Saturday so as it may as well be Sunday will be the day I head up there and Monday will be the riding day. So if there is anyone that has there ears perked at this ride let me know either way it's going to be a nice couple of days up in the mountains

Fla_rider
04-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Most of us will be there just before Labor Day!:icon_doh: in fact about 80 of us.

Looks like this...

wildrooster
04-21-2015, 07:02 PM
I plan to be up there in Franklin as well but it's to early for me to plan that far ahead

jkelley
04-22-2015, 05:15 AM

178, and 276 near Brevard in Pisgah National forest. But there are a lot of back roads around here that are good.

typhoon186
04-23-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm going to the Dragon for the first time ever in June......I can't wait!

June 18 - 21 there will be several Honda 6 cylinders on the Dragon. It's the National CBX Rally! I will be there on mine:icon_lol:

The sound will be amazing.