PDA

View Full Version : Want a GREAT Tip for repairing plastic??

srt8-in-largo
04-17-2015, 11:04 PM
Plast Aid, my friends. Plast Aid.

What isn't made of plastic nowadays? It's EVERYWHERE... and you're bound to break it.

I have a cubby pocket in my car and for whatever reason the genius's designed it with a hole about the size of a quarter in the bottom of it, which makes it useless to store anything but large items; small items would fall through the hole and get lost behind the dash panel. About 3 years ago I got some of this stuff and filled in the hole; after sanding and hitting it with a little paint, it looks brand new. Three years later it's still perfect.

If you need to repair or form a rigid part, then this stuff is great. This is also great if you have a large-ish gap missing in a plastic piece; this can be formed like play-dough into whatever shape you need and it will BOND to the existing plastic and harden. Very strong and durable and can be sanded and painted. I'm working on a mod where I need to re-form a rigid plastic part and will be using this.

I can't say I've used this stuff extensively, though. For semi-rigid or flexible repairs... I don't know how it'll do, but if the part can't be replaced, Plast Aid is cheap enough to be worth a shot. For splits or cracks in plastic, another product like Plastex might work better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkTSpmS1zXY

DaWadd
04-18-2015, 08:03 AM
Haven't used that but I broke a tab on my lower cowl and used JB Weld Plastic weld and it is holding up good.

Steve 0080
04-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Pretty cool...where do you buy it ?

bobbyf6b
04-18-2015, 10:45 AM
I was surprised at the end there was a website, the video looks like it's from the 60s or 70s. :icon_lol:

srt8-in-largo
04-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Pretty cool...where do you buy it ?

The international neighborhood market, Amazon :icon_biggrin:

Old Ryder
04-18-2015, 10:10 PM
or Ebay--where I just ordered mine :icon_wink: I see where that is some useful stuff.