PDA

View Full Version : 1000 mile report

stroguy
04-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Just went past 1K on the odo, took forever with this Houston rain. Here are my observations.

Overall - this bike is a huge winner.

From a Yamaha V-twin 1300

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/stroguy/StrykerCharger.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/stroguy/media/StrykerCharger.jpg.html)

To a long missle of a bike.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/stroguy/DSCF0484_zpsg6qh0qrb.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/stroguy/media/DSCF0484_zpsg6qh0qrb.jpg.html)

Engine - Powerful, very powerful. Have left plenty of HD boys and other V's behind from the green light. Solo and with the wife. Smooth efficient power.

Tranny - Very smooth shifting. Did not like the shifter peg position where I had to nose dive my toe to engage the peg with my boot tip. A set of Kuryakyn 7564 boards solved this. I have recently blown several 1st to 2nd shifts with the bike going to neutral and the eventual wanhhhh of an engine rev while in neutral and the embarrassed look at the vehicle next to me. Don't know if it is me blowing the shift or the tranny. I will bet it is the operator. The clutch is smooth except it has a dual personality. In the morning before the bike has had a chance to warm the clutch grabs quicker than a Vegas stickman grabs chips on an easy 8. But after she warms up there is a noticeable change in the the clutch engagement release point. I do find this issue aggravating but not enough to kick my dog.

Driveability and tires - This bike is nimble. More nimble than my Yamaha. My Yamaha kind of had to be coaxed into a turn where the F6B just does it by thought almost. I had a very close call to an accident and this bike should get a lot of credit to avoiding that accident. Scraped my first peg this past weekend and I never had a fear that the bike was ever uncomfortable being leaned that far. A big credit to the tires, they work beyond what the driver can press them to.

Displays and controls - Love all of the controls. They are big buttons and one would think they could be made a bit smaller, but when wearing gloves you need bigger buttons. Would like to see a singular multifuction push knob for the center INFO/DIMMER/SETUP/TEMP buttons to save a bit of space. Displays are good, but would love to see a bit of tunability such as colors and formats or layouts of information. Love the old school dial needle indicators for RPM, SPEED and ENGINE INFO. A white or silver background would be more pleasant to the eye. Totally disappointed in the backlit info lamps for OD/CRUISE as they are barely visible during daytime. The dimmer does not help. Grip Puppies for the narrow grips help immensely.

Storage - I had none and now I am in heaven. Have not made any overnight trips but with the stock storage rack behind the seat I can't think I would be disappointed. Would like a factory electronic release for the bag doors and a manual for dead battery.

Seating - Big azz thumbs up from me and the wifey. Seat is very comfortable. Exception being the low butt chock backrest that comes with the F6B Deluxe. It is a bit low to exude total confidence to the wife. The addition of Steve's 4" extension raised her confidence level. Wife loves the position of the hand grabs.

Leg and foot position - Was a bit worried that it would be a bit crampy from my Yamaha, it is not. It is a very enjoyable ride and I do not see me adding highway pegs. My longest trip was 4 hours and I had no issues.

Music - Love the ability to play radio and media storage devices. Sound system is quite adequate for highway riding. The amount of wind noise at 70mph will most likely keep me from upgrading the speakers. Upgraded speakers would be most beneficial at rallies and other non-moving events.

Paint and appearance - No brainer, this bike looks awesome in every color I have seen it in. This bike gets lots of looks.

The F6B is a 5 star winner in my humble opinion. Now on to the next 1000 miles.

Limoles
04-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Look at him . Don't you see his happy smiles ? They are very contagious and easy to join .

edgeman55
04-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Nice to hear from another happy F6B owner.This is by far the best bike I have owned in 45 years on them and it just gets better with every ride.As far as shifting these I have found you can't pussy foot the shift.Early on I would try to baby it in and missed a few but have not had this problem since.

bobbyf6b
04-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Nice to hear from another happy F6B owner.This is by far the best bike I have owned in 45 years on them and it just gets better with every ride.As far as shifting these I have found you can't pussy foot the shift.Early on I would try to baby it in and missed a few but have not had this problem since.

Great write up.

I tried the mini foot boards too and missed a lot of second gears. I switched back to stock pegs and once I got used to the toe reach, its a much more positive upshift.

tozco
04-21-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm using the Kury footpegs. They sit a fraction lower and an inch back. They allow the size 13 to fit under the shifter. Way nicer shifts compared go stock. If you miss second gear when your running hard, you are hurting the forks and dogs in your transmission, keep it up and it will pop out of second eventually.

baiao
04-21-2015, 11:57 AM
Did you get the FIRST oil and filter change at 600 miles?
That's what my local dealer recommended?
Just curious if you accomplished this since you have a NEW F6B..
AWESOME REVIEW! (awesome car too) THANK YOU

Fla_rider
04-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Change the windscreen the sound will rock you!

Welcome, we feel the same way!:clap2:

stroguy
04-21-2015, 12:33 PM

Dealer recommended 4000 as per the Honda manual. I trust the Honda engineers.

stroguy
04-21-2015, 12:35 PM
Change the windscreen the sound will rock you!

Welcome, we feel the same way!:clap2:

I have the 11" Baggershield. I need air in my helmet vents with this Texas heat. My 50 year old ears :ant tell the difference.

XKnight
04-21-2015, 01:56 PM

Your dealer just wants extra money out of you. Honda recommends the first oil change at 4000 miles per the owners manual. Nothing wrong with changing it earlier, but it's not necessary.

Dealer recommended 4000 as per the Honda manual. I trust the Honda engineers.

As do I. Got my first oil change at 4000 miles. Kept checking the oil before that to see if it was looking dirty and it wasn't. Next oil change will be at 12,000 miles, again per Honda and the owners manual.

baiao
04-21-2015, 05:20 PM
THANKS for the feedback on the FIRST oil change !

Fla_rider
04-21-2015, 07:02 PM
I have the 11" Baggershield. I need air in my helmet vents with this Texas heat. My 50 year old ears :ant tell the difference.

Dang youngsters can't tell them nutin! :301:

stroguy
04-21-2015, 07:34 PM
Damn bossy Master Sergeants. Give em six and they think they own you.

srt8-in-largo
04-21-2015, 10:17 PM

I have recently blown several 1st to 2nd shifts with the bike going to neutral and the eventual wanhhhh of an engine rev while in neutral and the embarrassed look at the vehicle next to me. Don't know if it is me blowing the shift or the tranny. I will bet it is the operator.

I'd pay careful attention to this Stro... stuff like this is what broke my tranny. When you miss 2nd, DON'T try to force it... keep the clutch in, don't touch the shifter, let the engine spin down and reduce RPM before trying to re-engage 2nd.

srt8-in-largo
04-21-2015, 10:18 PM
Oh... awesome review! Agree 100% :icon_biggrin:

stroguy
04-22-2015, 07:00 AM
I'd pay careful attention to this Stro... stuff like this is what broke my tranny. When you miss 2nd, DON'T try to force it... keep the clutch in, don't touch the shifter, let the engine spin down and reduce RPM before trying to re-engage 2nd.

Roger that!