PDA

View Full Version : Help - Left Pocket Power Outlet not working

Reedman71
04-20-2015, 09:31 AM
I installed the Honda accessory power outlet in the front left fairing pocket last year. It worked fine until this past weekend. Before I remove the Baker Wings and the trim strip and the fairing pocket to check the connection, can someone tell me where the fuse is for this thing? I figure it would be smart to start at the fuse.

Thank you ahead of time.

Doug44
04-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Looks like it might be #21

Steve 0080
04-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Fuse first... I did have one of my power supplies go bad and had to replace it....

Reedman71
04-20-2015, 10:31 AM
So now that I think about it, the fuse panel is under the right side fairing... (Correct?) So either way I am going to have to remove the Baker wings.

Also, This is the Hondaline accessory outlet. can anyone remember if there was an in-line fuse on it? If so, I might start there thinking it would be designed to blow first.

Old Ryder
04-20-2015, 10:37 AM
I thought it was marked "assy"-- 2nd from the top left hand side of the fuse box. Instructions on the plug say to change out the 5 amp with a 10 amp fuse. Sitting on the bike, the fuse box is on the left side of the bike behind the side panel. I may be wrong..............Somebody let me know if I am casue I switched the wrong fuse. :icon_redface:

Steve 0080
04-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Yes !!!! Left side in front of battery !!!!!!

Reedman71
04-20-2015, 11:00 AM
I just read the installation instructions again and there is an in-line 3a fuse. Looks llike I'll start there. Anyone else have this fuse go?

Doug44
04-20-2015, 11:52 AM
I thought it was marked "assy"-- 2nd from the top left hand side of the fuse box. Instructions on the plug say to change out the 5 amp with a 10 amp fuse. Sitting on the bike, the fuse box is on the left side of the bike behind the side panel. I may be wrong..............Somebody let me know if I am casue I switched the wrong fuse. :icon_redface:

I am confused which or what 5amp fuse you might have changed to a 10amp ? If you might be talking about the outlet the OP is referring too I don't think the wiring is heavy enough to support a 10amp draw. And yes the fuse panel is on the left side cover when left is referred to sitting on the bike. IMHO I wouldn't be changing ANY fuse from what Honda recommend, especially doubling the amps ie going from a 5 to a 10amp !

DaWadd
04-20-2015, 12:01 PM
When I installed the Honda OEM accessory plug I got the bright idea to try my CyclePump compressor on it and sure enough it blew that little fuse. Don't use it for anything too demanding. CyclePump works fine on battery tender plug.:icon_doh:

Reedman71
04-20-2015, 12:12 PM
All I had was a micro USB cell phone charging cable plugged in. Draw is 2.1A max.

Old Ryder
04-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Did you find the fuse?

srt8-in-largo
04-21-2015, 12:12 AM

IMHO I wouldn't be changing ANY fuse from what Honda recommend, especially doubling the amps ie going from a 5 to a 10amp !

+1

You don't wanna be the first guy to post about catching your 6 on fire :icon_biggrin:

sub vet
04-21-2015, 04:13 AM
I, too plugged a small air compressor into that plug & popped the fuse. when you take out the glove box, you will find an in-line 3amp fuse right near the base of the plug, (glass type).:icon_doh:

Reedman71
04-21-2015, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can find and replace that fuse tonight.

Fla_rider
04-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Wow, no problems yet. I run my iphone, bluetooth receiver and Garmin on the same plug when Im in travel mode. I have a dual cig. lighter connections and dual USB connections.

Old Ryder
04-21-2015, 09:10 AM
:shrug::shrug:I guess I am the only person with these instructions?:shrug::shrug:

The size of the wire is not a problem. The pigtail that plugs into the lighter is more than heavy enough. I went looking for an inline fuse and could not find it on my bike. The pigtail on mine disappears into a group of wires in a harness with no fuse to be found. :shrug: I don't know.

I will say this, if you blew a fuse with just a phone plugged in, it sounds like a short somewhere. They don't pull that much current.

Steve 0080
04-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Wow, no problems yet. I run my iphone, bluetooth receiver and Garmin on the same plug when Im in travel mode. I have a dual cig. lighter connections and dual USB connections.

All of the above and...... a center LED light below the head lights and a ring light ...so either the socket is bad or a short, or fuse...

Reedman71
04-21-2015, 03:18 PM
Got home and opened up the left pocket. As soon as I tried to unhook the wires, I knew what was the problem. The outlet plug was not seated (clipped) to its female connector. I checked the 3A glass tube fuse and the other fuses while I was there and sure enough they were fine.

Thanks for the heads up on the locations of the fuse and the fuse panel. By the way, it was nice of mother Honda to put extra fuses and a fuse puller in the cover of the fuse block.

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out!

He are some photos of the fuse panel in case someone needs them.
13331 13332 13333

srt8-in-largo
04-21-2015, 05:49 PM
I'd want to see 18 AWG wiring for 10 Amps, and certainly no less than 20 AWG. Idk what wire is used for these circuits, but anything smaller and I'll only say good luck.

Power systems have something called inrush current... when they're first turned on, a current spike can occur that is much higher than the steady state current after the power system "settles" down. Poorly designed or cheaply made electronics don't have the circuitry to shunt off this spike. I wouldn't expect a phone to be affected by this, but some of the pumps mentioned here might be. An adequately sized capacitor connected between power and ground might solve your issue.

Got home and opened up the left pocket. As soon as I tried to unhook the wires, I knew what was the problem. The outlet plug was not seated (clipped) to its female connector.

:icon_doh:

Old Ryder
04-22-2015, 06:32 AM
The pigtail I plugged into was 14 ga if I remember correctly---it appears to be made specificly for the power port. However, I do not know what else is on the circuit that is marked "assy".

Reedman71
04-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Sorry about the previous post. Looks like the pics did not upload correctly. Here are the pics of the fuse box in case anyone needs them for future reference:

Hornblower
04-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks, Doc! That could come in handy :yes:

srt8-in-largo
04-22-2015, 01:52 PM
The pigtail I plugged into was 14 ga if I remember correctly---it appears to be made specificly for the power port. However, I do not know what else is on the circuit that is marked "assy".

I can only *hope* that BikeMP3 did their homework before recommending a 10A fuse upgrade; I'm only throwing up the CAUTION sign... but I know you're already aware. No offense to you or BikeMP3 intended.

Old Ryder
04-22-2015, 02:07 PM
No offense taken, George. I am trying to understand why the change in fuse if there is already a 3 amp inline fuse between the plug and the fuse box. Unless the 5 amp is there because the pigtail is not in use and the other items are a low draw that are already on the circuit. I am very curious what else in use is on that same circuit.

I am guessing the other (bottom) acc fuse is for the heated grips or fog lights as I don't see it listed on the fuse panel and it is 10n amp already which sounds about right for the grips. One thing I do miss about the Victory forums is they had a ton of techs that knew this stuff inside and out and were there on the spot with an answer to all your maintenance questions.

bigswole31
06-19-2016, 12:35 AM
Doh!!!! I plugged in an air compressor and blew the fuse for my 12v accessory plug! :banghead: I checked the fuse panel and found that all of the fuses were intact. I then did a search and found this thread that mentions the inline glass fuse.

Where can I get a replacement inline fuse? Is this a dealer only item? Will I have to re-buy the whole assembly?

Also, is it necessary to remove the side trim to get the cubby out and gain access to the fuse?

Thanks!

Audiochris90
06-19-2016, 07:56 AM
:shrug::shrug:I guess I am the only person with these instructions?:shrug::shrug:

The size of the wire is not a problem. The pigtail that plugs into the lighter is more than heavy enough. I went looking for an inline fuse and could not find it on my bike. The pigtail on mine disappears into a group of wires in a harness with no fuse to be found. :shrug: I don't know.

I will say this, if you blew a fuse with just a phone plugged in, it sounds like a short somewhere. They don't pull that much current.

Does the Big bike accessory socket come with a cig lighter element to accually light a cigarette? Just a guess but that may be why they tell you to change the fuse to a 10amp. I bought a powerlet brand , came with corect terminal for the B, but no change to fuse. Also says not to use a lighter element.

bigswole31
06-20-2016, 05:52 AM
Doh!!!! I plugged in an air compressor and blew the fuse for my 12v accessory plug! :banghead: I checked the fuse panel and found that all of the fuses were intact. I then did a search and found this thread that mentions the inline glass fuse.

Where can I get a replacement inline fuse? Is this a dealer only item? Will I have to re-buy the whole assembly?

Also, is it necessary to remove the side trim to get the cubby out and gain access to the fuse?

Thanks!

So... has anyone ever replaced the inline 3A glass tube fuse for the OEM 12v power plug? Where can the fuse be purchased?

Sonny
06-20-2016, 07:07 AM
I replaced the fuse a few weeks ago. The fuse can be had at radioshack , or any parts store.

bigswole31
06-20-2016, 11:43 AM
I replaced the fuse a few weeks ago. The fuse can be had at radioshack , or any parts store.

Thanks!!