PDA

View Full Version : Bag lock---finally got something to work!

Old Ryder
04-20-2015, 11:31 AM
My pocket and tank cover has Honda radio knobs, but they were not big enough or better yet, I could not grip them tight enough to make them work on the bag lock. What I found was a cabinet knob from Lowes-- $2.47 made out of bronze so it is heavy and the design is such that my thumb and fore finger can grip and turn it like a key. I drilled out the threaded hole as big as I could and then made the hole in an oval shape with the drill. Making it bigger meant I did not have to file down the size of the key as much. I was careful to make the oval in the correct direction so that when the key was inserted, the knob was in the horizontal position. Clean out the drilled hole with paint thinner and a Q-tip--- fill the hole with JB Weld, clean the key and push the key in the hole and wipe away access JB. A coat of primer and matching paint left over from the inner fairing---and unlike Honda, I used clear coat, too. Small and functional and blends in well--for about the price of a 6 pack.

srt8-in-largo
04-21-2015, 11:44 PM
Way to mod it Old Ryder!

Steve 0080
04-21-2015, 11:59 PM
Very Nice !!!!

tiltingf6b
11-24-2016, 08:19 AM
My pocket and tank cover has Honda radio knobs, but they were not big enough or better yet, I could not grip them tight enough to make them work on the bag lock. What I found was a cabinet knob from Lowes-- $2.47 made out of bronze so it is heavy and the design is such that my thumb and fore finger can grip and turn it like a key. I drilled out the threaded hole as big as I could and then made the hole in an oval shape with the drill. Making it bigger meant I did not have to file down the size of the key as much. I was careful to make the oval in the correct direction so that when the key was inserted, the knob was in the horizontal position. Clean out the drilled hole with paint thinner and a Q-tip--- fill the hole with JB Weld, clean the key and push the key in the hole and wipe away access JB. A coat of primer and matching paint left over from the inner fairing---and unlike Honda, I used clear coat, too. Small and functional and blends in well--for about the price of a 6 pack.

An elegant solution! KISS - keep it simple solution.

Big Jay
11-24-2016, 08:34 AM
I like it, well done. :yes: