PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a Pickle

ghostrider
04-20-2015, 12:06 PM
I’m in a bit of a pickle. I’m leaving Thursday to pick up a used Bushtec trailer in Elk Grove California from Boise Idaho and have installed the Bushtec hitch. I ordered the wiring harness (plug and play isolator harness #99640000) from Wingstuff and verified it’s the right one but I couldn’t get it installed yesterday. None of the plugs on the bike seem to match the harness plugs either under the seat or behind the tail light section. Researching it online I found where the full size Goldwing has blue and red connectors at the rear but totally different on the F6B.
If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where the harness might plug in, it would be a great help.

Ugh! Not an electrical guy. I feel defeated. :banghead:

F6B1911
04-20-2015, 12:51 PM
There is no plug n play for the F6B, that part number is for the Goldwing, the harness is different.
You'll need the universal isolator

ghostrider
04-20-2015, 01:00 PM
There is no plug n play for the F6B, that part number is for the Goldwing, the harness is different.
You'll need the universal isolator

Okay that explains it. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

I hope the trailer is lower than my brake lights. :icon_frown:

Steve 0080
04-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Sounds like you are in a bind.... take what you have and go to a local Honda dealer and have them wire it into your bike... maybe a hours time.... I was the first to get a Bushtec and had to use the GW kit and wire it into my bike...really no big deal for a mech !!!

Maybe...ship the correct part to a local shop and go from there...

ghostrider
04-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Sounds like you are in a bind.... take what you have and go to a local Honda dealer and have them wire it into your bike... maybe a hours time.... I was the first to get a Bushtec and had to use the GW kit and wire it into my bike...really no big deal for a mech !!!

Maybe...ship the correct part to a local shop and go from there...

Yes I'm trying to get ahold of the service dept now. Hopefully they can come through.

And yes looking into expressing the universal harness to have a chance, and see what the Honda dealership says.

choptop
04-20-2015, 06:41 PM
I also bought one of those F6b "plug and play" harnesses, to also find out that their is no such animal for the F6b. It now resides in a drawer in da garage. I happened to make arrangements to pick up my used Bushtec trailer the weekend of Wing Ding in Madison last year, made arrangements to stop at the Bushtec booth and they wired me up. Worked out well.

ghostrider
04-21-2015, 07:40 AM
I also bought one of those F6b "plug and play" harnesses, to also find out that their is no such animal for the F6b. It now resides in a drawer in da garage. I happened to make arrangements to pick up my used Bushtec trailer the weekend of Wing Ding in Madison last year, made arrangements to stop at the Bushtec booth and they wired me up. Worked out well.

I guess it's good to get the information out then.

Just want to thank the responders for the bits of vital information which helped me make the decisioin to take it to the dealership to install the harness. I plan on leaving work early today and riding there to have them install it. I usually do all my own work but sometimes you have to leave it to the experts.

I will ride to Reno, meet up with my gf, then ride to Elk Grove California and pick up the trailer. Ride back to Reno, then Friday morning we drive to San Francisco airport to start our vacation for two weeks. Then haul the trailer back to Idaho from Reno.

Steve 0080
04-21-2015, 11:57 AM
It will be worth all the extra work !!!!!!!

ghostrider
04-22-2015, 06:38 AM
Very nice set up Steve. I believe I've seen the YouTube video of your trailer searching Bushtec.

I did get the harness installed after 5 hours of sitting at the dealership. Only thing I noticed on the way home was my Ipod stopped everytime I used the brake. :icon_rolleyes: Actually after I released the brake. I guess I'll deal with it after the trip but a relief to get it done anyway.

srt8-in-largo
04-22-2015, 10:46 PM
It will be worth all the extra work !!!!!!!

Maybe by the time I need a trailer you'll be ready to sell yours :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

This is the setup I'd want.

Only thing I noticed on the way home was my Ipod stopped everytime I used the brake. :icon_rolleyes: Actually after I released the brake. I guess I'll deal with it after the trip but a relief to get it done anyway.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Steve 0080
04-22-2015, 10:52 PM
Yep the trailer is nice...I was the first to have one matching the bags in the rear... I use it twice a year... I should sell it !!!

Marauderm
04-23-2015, 09:02 AM
Is this true. The f6 seems like the perfect candidate for one of these with all the power it has and lesser storage than the Wing. I've see guys towing things for years. My Honda service said that if he sees a hitch attached to a bike, the warranty is done.

Has anyone else seen this. Seems weird to me since Honda sells parts to do this.

ghostrider
05-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Got back with the trailer. LOVE IT!!! Like they say" it feels like it's not even back there". Had a lot of ppl comment on it. Bushtec's are expensive but when you see how they are made they're worth it. I ended getting a pretty good deal. The guy I bought it from said he bought it in 2008 and towed it once since then. It's a 2005 Quantum. Looks brand new. Paid $2100 for it.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

ghostrider
05-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Is this true. The f6 seems like the perfect candidate for one of these with all the power it has and lesser storage than the Wing. I've see guys towing things for years. My Honda service said that if he sees a hitch attached to a bike, the warranty is done.

Has anyone else seen this. Seems weird to me since Honda sells parts to do this.

I've heard a Harley dealer say that too. I'll just say I installed the hitch but never towed anything with it if it becomes an issue. Honda never said a word about it when they installed the harness.

ghostrider
05-13-2015, 05:24 PM
13923 :041:

srt8-in-largo
05-13-2015, 08:32 PM

My Honda service said that if he sees a hitch attached to a bike, the warranty is done.

Sounds like that dealer is just looking for reasons to give you a hard time; I'd go somewhere else.

13923 :041:

Good looking trailer... needs matching paint though.

ghostrider
05-14-2015, 09:39 AM
Sounds like that dealer is just looking for reasons to give you a hard time; I'd go somewhere else.

Good looking trailer... needs matching paint though.

Should I paint the bike silver or the trailer red? :shrug: