PDA

View Full Version : Original tires

Bweiner10
04-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Hello all. I'm about to sell my valk and take the plunge with a new F6B. Quick question, I have had 2 new Hondas in the past and the Dunlops they come with have always been a bit of a bummer. My Valk now has Avon Venoms that I love. How are the stock tires? Anyone just switch em out right away? If I sell the valk quick enough I migh be able to use some Honda bucks on tires. Thanks all!

Big Jay
04-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Most including me really like the stock stones they grip and ware quite well , with a search you might find a couple of tire threads :icon_wink:

hiflyer
04-20-2015, 11:12 PM
I got no complaints with the OEM's.....of course the rear is on my spare wheel taking up space in the garage, and the C/T is on the bike.:yikes:

Steve 0080
04-20-2015, 11:16 PM
Gonna be hard to beat the OEM's... unless like oil you are in love with your brand !!! LOL !!! :stirthepot:

srt8-in-largo
04-20-2015, 11:55 PM
B... you're gonna LOVE the OEM rubber... mileage ain't terrible either.

srt8-in-largo
04-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Bridgestone Exedra, G704 and G709

Ixol Phaane
04-21-2015, 01:01 AM

+1
I'm at 18k and still have many miles left on front and rear.

Jimmytee
04-21-2015, 05:19 AM
I'll be coming up ready for some new tires in the near future. I really have no complaints with the stock Bridgestones. I've really liked the Avon Cobra
Tyres on my Valkyrie and have contemplated changing to them . They are a little more expensive though I believe. Has anyone here tried the Cobras on their F6B?

stroguy
04-21-2015, 07:12 AM
The stockers were good enough to get me through a very close call collision and I dragged my first peg this past weekend and never felt any lack of confidence in these rubbers. Thumbs up to the stockers. Spend your bucks on fogs.

Bweiner10
04-21-2015, 11:58 AM
I love the Avons on the Valk. but the dun'flops that were on the old shadow and and ST1300 that I had (more the 1300) were not up to par as far as I thought. Seems like there are some pretty good reviews! Thanks all for your $.02 and im psyched to find a good group (as I did with the valk) to chat with! I cant wait to get up on my F6B! Hopefully within the next few weeks!

Jimmytee
04-27-2015, 06:18 AM

I know the stockers are Exedras but are those numbers significant? I'm getting ready to buy tires for my bike. My rear isn't terrible, but it looks like I'm down to the wear bars on it at only 8200 miles. Front not so much. So with that, I would be fine with putting the stockers back on , but would like some more mileage from my tires. I'm not one who feels comfortable pushing the wear limits of my bike tires. I ride fairly aggressively and want confidence in my tires.

Old Ryder
04-27-2015, 06:28 AM
I'll be coming up ready for some new tires in the near future. I really have no complaints with the stock Bridgestones. I've really liked the Avon Cobra
Tyres on my Valkyrie and have contemplated changing to them . They are a little more expensive though I believe. Has anyone here tried the Cobras on their F6B?

I put Cobras on my Cross Roads. The tread style is a little more aggressive than the Bridgestone. What I mean by that is the middle of the tire has more of a V shape for quick cornering and they stuck very well. In a straight line I don't think the contact patch is a big as the Stones. It was a waste on my style of riding--but a good tire. In other words--it is the opposite of the car tire effect. :icon_cool:

Jimmytee
04-27-2015, 06:35 AM
I put Cobras on my Cross Roads. The tread style is a little more aggressive than the Bridgestone. What I mean by that is the middle of the tire has more of a V shape for quick cornering and they stuck very well. In a straight line I don't think the contact patch is a big as the Stones. It was a waste on my style of riding--but a good tire. In other words--it is the opposite of the car tire effect. :icon_cool:

I ride pretty aggressively so I can appreciate a tire that will stay put. The stock tires haven't let me down though. I like the Avons on my Valkyrie, considered them for the F6B, but have not heard yet of anyone's experience with them on the F6B. They're a little more money than the Bridgestones. Really no complaints with the Bridgestones other than I'm already at the wear bars on the rear tire at 8200 miles. Just don't know if the Avons would yield a better result. I routinely check my tire pressures,so that isn't a reason. The wear looks uniform and even, no abnormalities.

MorrisGray
04-27-2015, 08:14 AM
+1
I'm at 18k and still have many miles left on front and rear.

You have 18,000 miles on the OEM stock tires?

MorrisGray
04-27-2015, 08:18 AM
What PSI are you running in both?

1951vbs
04-27-2015, 08:15 PM

Changed my second set at 19,791 miles. Not yet at the wear bars. Best OE tires I have ever had! 40/40 front/rear

srt8-in-largo
04-27-2015, 09:18 PM
... and im psyched to find a good group (as I did with the valk) to chat with! I cant wait to get up on my F6B! Hopefully within the next few weeks!

:yes::yes:

You don't have a 6 yet? There's getting to be a good sized contingent out of AZ, should be plenty of opportunity to meet up with some local brothers.

I know the stockers are Exedras but are those numbers significant? I'm getting ready to buy tires for my bike. My rear isn't terrible, but it looks like I'm down to the wear bars on it at only 8200 miles. Front not so much. So with that, I would be fine with putting the stockers back on , but would like some more mileage from my tires. I'm not one who feels comfortable pushing the wear limits of my bike tires. I ride fairly aggressively and want confidence in my tires.

That's an interesting question Jimmy; I always assumed that 704 and 709 were just arbitrary names or designators of the tires.

8200 is on the low side. I've seen a few others post with numbers like this or lower but not often. I wonder if you just got a set of tires that were on the soft side of the tolerance; I'd try one more set before hunting for another brand.

fxdl2051
04-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Best time to buy tires is in early fall when you can score 40% off at places like Motorcycle Superstore if you can wait that long. I like the stockers and I routinely lean the bike down to the shoe leather on the roads where I live, with no worries. It would be interesting to know tho, how well stockers or any tire for that matter, will hold up in Az where ground temps can easily run 150F (air temp is measured 5 foot off the ground as I understand, so those 120F days are way hotter where the tires live).

hiflyer
04-27-2015, 10:27 PM
It would be interesting to know tho, how well stockers or any tire for that matter, will hold up in Az where ground temps can easily run 150F (air temp is measured 5 foot off the ground as I understand, so those 120F days are way hotter where the tires live).

Our resident hot shoe, bobbyf6b, should be able to tell ya all ya need to know.

Ixol Phaane
04-28-2015, 12:37 AM
I know the stockers are Exedras but are those numbers significant? ...

As I understand it, those model numbers are specific to these "designed for Gold Wing" tires by Bridgestone. G709 for the front and G704 for the rear.

... What PSI are you running in both?

Yes, I'm currently at 18,287 miles on the original skins. I'm just shy of the wear bars so I've got a new set coming. My pressures are generally 38 front and 40 rear. I'm not a particularly aggressive rider, but I'd rather lead than follow the traffic, if you know what I mean. And the majority of my riding is solo on the interstates.

I've been happy with the performance and longevity of the Bridgestones.

Oh, and this is in Phoenix, AZ... home of those stupid high summer temps! :icon_biggrin:

Jimmytee
04-28-2015, 04:50 AM
As I understand it, those model numbers are specific to these "designed for Gold Wing" tires by Bridgestone. G709 for the front and G704 for the rear.

Yes, I'm currently at 18,287 miles on the original skins. I'm just shy of the wear bars so I've got a new set coming. My pressures are generally 38 front and 40 rear. I'm not a particularly aggressive rider, but I'd rather lead than follow the traffic, if you know what I mean. And the majority of my riding is solo on the interstates.

I've been happy with the performance and longevity of the Bridgestones.

Oh, and this is in Phoenix, AZ... home of those stupid high summer temps! :icon_biggrin:
I just don't know why you'd have such a dramatically different tread life experience. What do you weigh ,100 lbs or something?:icon_wink: Every chance I get, I ride fairly aggressive, or at least spirited , in the corners. I don't do much interstate riding as I find that extremely boring. I imagine I'll need brake pads sooner than most as I do come into corners hard and exit them pretty hard as well. But man, 10,000 miles different. Now I'm not sure my tires look like the above just quite yet, but to me they look like I should be ordering tires very soon.

seadog
04-28-2015, 05:01 AM
I am a firm believer in the fact that these companies test tire and test them hard for their consumer use. Usually the OEM tires on the new bike you buy are there for a reason. The company has found that they work well on that model. I was impress coming home with the new F6B yesterday as I took a curvy road I had run with my previous Suzuki M109R Boulevard. The Suzuki always did corners well but the 6 was about 10 miles per hour faster going thru the same curves I had run many times before. It was going thru them so smooth I didn't realize how much speed I was carrying until I looked at the speedo and was thoroughly impressed. These stones work on this bike. No doubt in my mind.

bob109
04-28-2015, 05:22 AM
I am a firm believer in the fact that these companies test tire and test them hard for their consumer use. Usually the OEM tires on the new bike you buy are there for a reason. The company has found that they work well on that model. I was impress coming home with the new F6B yesterday as I took a curvy road I had run with my previous Suzuki M109R Boulevard. The Suzuki always did corners well but the 6 was about 10 miles per hour faster going thru the same curves I had run many times before. It was going thru them so smooth I didn't realize how much speed I was carrying until I looked at the speedo and was thoroughly impressed. These stones work on this bike. No doubt in my mind.

If I'm correct, that tailing 240 wide tire on your M109R has a slight negative effect on cornering! A narrow front, wide rear tire combination is great for conversation and appearance but degrades handling as the tires track differently IMHO. Not saying the M109R was a "slouch" in handling but compared to the 6 the agility of the two bikes is like night and day:icon_wink:

wjduke
04-28-2015, 06:53 AM
I just don't know why you'd have such a dramatically different tread life experience. What do you weigh ,100 lbs or something?:icon_wink: Every chance I get, I ride fairly aggressive, or at least spirited , in the corners. I don't do much interstate riding as I find that extremely boring. I imagine I'll need brake pads sooner than most as I do come into corners hard and exit them pretty hard as well. But man, 10,000 miles different. Now I'm not sure my tires look like the above just quite yet, but to me they look like I should be ordering tires very soon.
In fairness to the previous post...on my last bike I always did better mileage on my tires than most others with the same bike. I got accused of grandma riding, but I know for a fact I rode pretty decently on cornering and whatever. I think it's like brakes on a car. Some people get tons of miles, other wipe them out quick. It's simply the way each person rides or drives and we're all different. I had an M109 and I got 10,000 out of my rears and more from the fronts. Some guys only got 4,000 from the rear.

1951vbs
04-28-2015, 08:21 AM

Second set 19,791 miles: I am 200 lbs and seldom carry a payload. I buy tires with a very current date code or at least take note of it. I put miles on pretty fast (2400/month). I check my tire pressure every 2 weeks and run 40/40 (air). 95% of my driving is freeway in the FL heat at 80-85 mph. I can't find any curves.

First set 14,875 (but they had quite a bit of tread left): In contrast I moved from the Carolina's and could find curves there. Ran about 1000 miles/month with 75% of my driving in town at 45 mph, 25% spirited riding. Tire pressure 40/40 (nitrogen).

Two sets of OE tires with great results. Two different environments and riding styles. (nitrogen once/air once) both 40/40.:icon_biggrin:

tozco
04-28-2015, 08:47 AM
My Grandma wears out tires quicker than your Grandma does.

Old Ryder
04-28-2015, 08:48 AM
Much has to do with proper inflation---and keeping it that way. I am sure. Also some tires have a softer compound. I read a few years back that ALL NEW vehicles come with a very soft compound for a smooth ride. The soft ride sells you and since it is not a warranty item they don't care how quick they wear out.

My new VTX 1800 would not pass inspection at 4,200 miles with the OEM Dunlops--cupped and cracks between the tread and they sat on the showroom floor 3 years. Replaced them with Metzler 880's and they still looked good at 10,000. Same bike, same rider, same roads. You tell me. :shrug:

Jimmytee
04-28-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm pretty festidious about checking pressures.

srt8-in-largo
04-28-2015, 01:32 PM
The two riders in this thread who are getting over 18,000 miles both state a high percentage of highway use... is this the common denominator?

Ixol Phaane
04-28-2015, 01:55 PM
The two riders in this thread who are getting over 18,000 miles both state a high percentage of highway use... is this the common denominator?

Yeah, this may be a major factor.

The interstate roads here in AZ are not poorly surfaced, but they aren't all concrete slabs, either. I would say where I ride most are fairly average 2-lane road surfaces of chip-seal, concrete and asphalt. The urban streets aren't great, with plenty of chip-sealed surfaces roughed by heavy truck and traffic use also.

I've ridden plenty of miles on 2 lane state roads up in the high country around the state, with plenty of altitude and attitude changes (curvy bits).

So, I have to say I ride a healthy mix of road surfaces, most of it being outside the city on interstates and state roads. This also reduces the stop and go that will wear the skins.

And FYI, I carry about 190 lbs on a 5'9" frame.

tozco
04-28-2015, 06:49 PM
I have never exceeded 10,000 miles on any motorcycle tire, ever. I am very conscientious regarding inflation. Chip seal roads mostly, hardly any interstates, and spirited riding sometimes. I can't comprehend the tire life some report. Incidentally, I get between 35 and 45 mpg, depending

Jimmytee
04-28-2015, 06:56 PM
After I got home this evening, I rode my bike over to my local dealer. He's just a couple miles from my house. I went ahead and ordered a set of OEM tires. I was tempted to put Avons on for a little more, but I don't suspect I'd get any better mileage and the Bridgestones really have performed well for me other than needing tires at 8200 miles. I'm sure I could force the mileage up over 10 probably without any ill consequences.I'm going to at least get her over 9k before I take her over there to have them put on. Heck, that's just a normal weekend's riding really.

srt8-in-largo
04-28-2015, 08:04 PM
I've recently gotten into changing my own tires; would much rather spend an hour doing it myself than in a waiting room reading last years magazines :icon_biggrin:

Jimmytee
04-28-2015, 09:05 PM
I've recently gotten into changing my own tires; would much rather spend an hour doing it myself than in a waiting room reading last years magazines :icon_biggrin:

I dunno. I do everything else just never really wanted to do the tires. It helps that the dealer is really just a couple of miles down the road if that.

srt8-in-largo
04-28-2015, 09:19 PM
I understand... it is convenient and cheap enough to let the dealer do it. Another reason I got into it is so I could get my TPMS sensors in and out for testing... and also because I'm an impatient bastard and hate waiting.

Ixol Phaane
04-29-2015, 01:41 AM
I have never exceeded 10,000 miles on any motorcycle tire, ever. I am very conscientious regarding inflation. Chip seal roads mostly, hardly any interstates, and spirited riding sometimes. I can't comprehend the tire life some report. Incidentally, I get between 35 and 45 mpg, depending

Wow, that's crazy! I've never gotten less than about 14,000 miles on any of my bike tires. If I couldn't get 10k on a set, I think I'd be seriously looking for a better brand, too.

Mufassa001
04-29-2015, 04:21 AM
If I'm correct, that tailing 240 wide tire on your M109R has a slight negative effect on cornering! A narrow front, wide rear tire combination is great for conversation and appearance but degrades handling as the tires track differently IMHO. Not saying the M109R was a "slouch" in handling but compared to the 6 the agility of the two bikes is like night and day:icon_wink:

I rode a Suzuki c109r with the same tires but wider, they are great tires but the tires on the F6B handle much better than the large tires in the C109r; it's a dramatic handling performance difference! I hope my mileage is different with the F^B because I was only getting around 10,000 on the tires before they started grabbing and handling poorly.

Jimmytee
04-29-2015, 05:03 AM
I understand... it is convenient and cheap enough to let the dealer do it. Another reason I got into it is so I could get my TPMS sensors in and out for testing... and also because I'm an impatient bastard and hate waiting.

It is also my rational, that as long as they're treating me fairly, I wanna give them my business when I can. I went in there and told their parts guy what I could get a set for from Wingstuff. He matched it and the price for installation is not bad either. I figure I am nurturing a relationship there should anything arise that is warranty related. I asked about the Avons and actually, his price was cheaper than Wingstuff's price. The only thing was when he looked them up , the front tires showed they were on back order til near the end of May. I decided to stay with the Bridgestones. Maybe next tire change I'll look at the Avons.