PDA

View Full Version : Why we don't have them ???

Limoles
04-21-2015, 09:22 AM
Japan's Magnetic Levitation Passenger Train Just Broke The World Speed Record

TOKYO (AP) — A Japanese maglev that is the fastest passenger train in the world has broken its own speed record.

Operator JR Central said the train reached 603 kilometers per hour (375 miles per hour) in a test run on Tuesday, surpassing its previous record of 361 mph (581 kph) set in 2003. The train traveled for just over a mile (1.8 kilometers) at a speed exceeding 600 kph (373 mph).

Japan's high-speed rail services are among the most advanced in the world, with hundreds of trains running each day with minimal delays. However, unlike regular shinkansen or "bullet trains" that run on steel rails, magnetic levitation trains hover above rails, suspended by powerful magnets.

The Maglev Test Line, near Mount Fuji about 80 kilometers (50 miles) west of Tokyo, is developing technology for use on a future 410-kilometer (250-mile) link that will reduce travel time between Tokyo and Osaka to just over an hour. The current minimum by bullet train is nearly three hours.

The maglev trains, begun as a project of Japan Airlines and the national railways with government support, have undergone decades of testing. Construction of the Tokyo-Osaka link, which is expected to cost more than 9 trillion yen ($76 billion), began in 2014.

The line, which will mostly run under mountains, is due to begin operations in the late 2020s. A similar system operates in Shanghai, linking its airport in the seaside suburbs of Pudong to the city's subway system.

F6B1911
04-21-2015, 05:26 PM
...Why we don't have them??

"Cost Overruns."
Our government has a hard time doing the right thing with the American taxpayers money?

stroguy
04-21-2015, 06:19 PM
Unions, government gouging, projected costs well below actual costs, we don't want them, we are a car society, we are hundreds times bigger than Japan.

It will be cheaper to go to Mars, which is probably going to bankrupt us. Back in the 50's and 60's it was exploration. Today it is exploitation of taxpayers.

MarcPW
04-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Very simple: when Japan lost the war, USA said: no army. So immagine how much advanced any country who currently spend Billions in Army budget could be... (USA not the only one waisting so much $$$) Japan rebuild itself in just a couple of decades and became a great nation. If you visit you will be amazed at the share size of the cities, the facilities, infrastructures, etc.

srt8-in-largo
04-21-2015, 09:50 PM
We'd rather use that technology for theme park rides :icon_biggrin:

Seriously though, I'd be for this. Dallas to New York or Los Angeles in 5 hours.

stroguy
04-21-2015, 10:02 PM
Japan actually spends very much on defense. 5 trillion Yen or 40+billion USD.

edgeman55
04-22-2015, 11:23 AM
Japan actually spends very much on defense. 5 trillion Yen or 40+billion USD.

Drop in the bucket compared to our bloated 680+ billion defense budget and some of the boneheads in Washington would like to add 180 billion more or so.Think of what could be rebuilt,upgraded,created with that money and the middle class jobs it would help create.I find the fix to this country's economic problems are simple if we pay people middle class pay they will spend that money and create more jobs-That is true trickle down economics but the again this is my simple minded opinion.And yes we should of had high speed rail here years ago.Maybe we should get the people over there to come and build it for us cause we don't seem to make anything much new anymore except for things like a Smart Watch:banghead:

Limoles
04-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Drop in the bucket compared to our bloated 680+ billion defense budget and some of the boneheads in Washington would like to add 180 billion more or so.Think of what could be rebuilt,upgraded,created with that money and the middle class jobs it would help create.I find the fix to this country's economic problems are simple if we pay people middle class pay they will spend that money and create more jobs-That is true trickle down economics but the again this is my simple minded opinion.And yes we should of had high speed rail here years ago.Maybe we should get the people over there to come and build it for us cause we don't seem to make anything much new anymore except for things like a Smart Watch:banghead:

Are you kidding ? I thought Smart Watches are made in China (?) .

Old Ryder
04-22-2015, 12:11 PM
I have done a little research on this, since I had the same question. The answer is that the USA is just too darn big. Japan and many of the countries in Europe are smaller than a lot of states in the US. By the time you made it big enough, it would cost too much. Add to the problem is that the freight companies are the ones who dominate the railways in the US. They beat the tracks so bad that they are not suitable for high speed passenger service---and as was mentioned, the US is a "car country" with status attached to your vehicle and the freedom to go when and where you want (while gas is cheap, anyway). There are lots of commuter airline choices for those long---but not too long trips where the train would be a choice. BTW---have you checked AmTrac prices lately? They are not especially cheap. The subways in the big cities are partly funded by many of the cities to make them affordable. Considering all of these things, it has been determined that there is not a market for this type stuff in the USA.

Not my thoughts........................just what I have read through the years. Others may have read similar or different things.

stroguy
04-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Considering what we do for the world as a sentinel our budget is pretty good. The land mass we cover compared to Japan.......extemely different. Japan appears to be overspending for what they do in my eyes. And America is a car country. Build the rail but what do you do when nobody comes to ride?

F6B1911
04-22-2015, 03:27 PM
... BTW---have you checked AmTrac prices lately? They are not especially cheap. The subways in the big cities are partly funded by many of the cities to make them affordable. Considering all of these things, it has been determined that there is not a market for this type stuff in the USA.

Good point, so.... if one of these mismanaged projects were ever to be completed, it would end up costing $7,233.86 for a trip from LA to San Francisco, or $12,552.39 for a trip from LA to Seattle.
A beer would cost $29.99 + tax + service fee + cooling fee + delivery fee.

Kurare79
04-22-2015, 03:32 PM
The answer is that the USA is just too darn big. Japan and many of the countries in Europe are smaller than a lot of states in the US.

Exactly. Just for comparison: You can put nearly two times the size of Germany into Texas - but germany got more than three times of inhabitants than Texas :icon_biggrin: (That's always one of the most amazing things for me, when i travel your country -> the enormous space you have).

srt8-in-largo
04-22-2015, 03:47 PM
And we stole it all... fair and square :icon_biggrin:

edgeman55
04-22-2015, 08:12 PM
And we stole it all... fair and square :icon_biggrin:

LOL ain't that the truth.But out here in the west the Mexicans are taking there land back!!

stroguy
04-22-2015, 08:24 PM
I thought the Vikings had it first.

Limoles
04-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Beside all speculations about distance and cost , Maglev train would be a good . or even best idea .
In a maglev train the primary coil assembly lies below the reaction plate. There is a 1–10 cm (0.39-3.93 inch) air gap between that eliminates friction, allowing for speeds up to 500 km/h (310 mph). An alternating electric current is supplied to the coils, which creates a change in polarity of the magnetic field. This pulls the train forward from the front, and thrusts the train forward from the back. A typical Maglev train costs three cents per passenger mile, or seven cents per ton mile (not including construction costs). This compares to 15 cents per passenger miles for travel by plane and 30 cents for ton mile for travel by intercity trucks. Maglev tracks have high longevity due to minimal friction and an even distribution of weight. Most last for at least 50 years and require little maintenance during this time. Maglev trains are promoted for their energy efficiency since they run on electricity, which can be produced by coal, nuclear, hydro, fusion, wind or solar power without requiring oil. On average most trains travel 483 km/h (300 mph) and use 0.4 megajoules per passenger mile. Using a 20 mi/gallon car with 1.8 people as a comparison, travel by car is typically 110 km/h (72 mph) and uses 4 megajoules per passenger mile. Along with this there are no carbon dioxide emissions and the running of the train is significantly quieter than other trains, trucks or airplanes.

srt8-in-largo
04-22-2015, 09:45 PM
The technology has been around for quite some time... probably floating around University labs for 30 or 40 years... and commercially viable for the last 20 years or so.

Not sure if I buy the cost per mile, these thing have to suck a LOT of electricity to create the magnetic fields, and then to propagate that field for hundreds or thousands of miles. Like most "green" technology, the TRUE carbon footprint is swept under the rug; how about electric vehicles that actually have LARGER carbon footprints than gas vehicles due to the toxic process of battery manufacturing and disposal.

ths61
04-22-2015, 11:41 PM
The PRK has no water, but it can go into debt on the backs of the taxpayers for a $100 Billion bullet train to nowhere.

srt8-in-largo
04-22-2015, 11:56 PM
Oh c'mon THS, I'm sure they'll do better if they could have just a little more of your paycheck :icon_biggrin:

ths61
04-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Oh c'mon THS, I'm sure they'll do better if they could have just a little more of your paycheck :icon_biggrin:

Unfortunately, my pockets are not deep enough to support the PRK's politicians lavish lifestyles and insatiable spending habits. :icon_frown:

seadog
04-23-2015, 05:13 AM
...Why we don't have them??

"Cost Overruns."
Our government has a hard time doing the right thing with the American taxpayers money?

Our government has a hard time doing the wrong thing with the American taxpayers money and their very efficient at it I might add.

srt8-in-largo
04-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, my pockets are not deep enough to support the PRK's politicians lavish lifestyles and insatiable spending habits. :icon_frown:

I remember seeing the story of the ones who got caught.

Small town in Kali... city managers paying themselves $700,000 salaries; I hope these fools went to jail and were made to pay restitution.

racer
04-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Why we don't have them ???

We spend our tax money on "other things".

ths61
04-24-2015, 06:01 PM
I remember seeing the story of the ones who got caught.

Small town in Kali... city managers paying themselves $700,000 salaries; I hope these fools went to jail and were made to pay restitution.

Take a look at Leeland Yee's story. He is one of the biggest anti-2A politicians and is using his campaign contributions to fund his legal defense for felony gun running. He got caught running guns (including RPGs) of which a portion of the sales were to be funneled back into campaign war-chest. If it was you and I, that money would have been impounded/confiscated. How is that legal, moral or ethical ?

BTW, his anti-2A gun bills are still marching along with other politicians names on it.