PDA

View Full Version : New Goldwing Predictions

Reedman71
04-22-2015, 09:20 AM
I have been thinking about this lately and I am making some speculations as to what the new Goldwing will be like. Please join in the conversation!

DCT? Honda has spent a lot of money developing this. Do you think that the next gen Goldwing will have a DCT transmission with manual available?

Engine size? Is 2000cc AND better fuel economy a possibility?

Those two are my big questions. Any other speculation out there?

Limoles
04-22-2015, 10:19 AM
It is only one prediction - it will be more expensive . Everything else is a mystery .

bigbird
04-22-2015, 10:29 AM
It is only one prediction - it will be more expensive . Everything else is a mystery .

+1

You can wish, but based on no spy shots, leaked info, or anything else, there really is no speculation.

What would I want?
A motorcycle would be no fun without a manual trans. For an F6B, give me a 6 speed, digital gear indicator, a modernized dash with fuel consumption, range to empty, selectable LCD gauges, electric reverse, better front springs and anti-dive, no linked brakes, ABS standard for everybody, a full 2L engine, simpler audio system, and a keyless fob for starting the bike and opening the saddlebag doors remotely.

For a redesigned GL1800, who cares.

shooter
04-22-2015, 10:55 AM
I think you may see some form of CVT trans available. It will be an option. If its good it will sell. Not for me but non purists will love it. I think engine size will remain the same. It would be easy to increase efficiency and deliver 10 more HP and TQ. That keeps them ahead of the pack.

Steve 0080
04-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Go Big or Go Home.... Honda WILL bring out bigger motor...it's in their genes...

Hornblower
04-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Several have posted about bigger motors but I say, maybe so and maybe not. Bigger motors usually means more weight so if you're into handling performance, that can be a disadvantage. Adding to that, motors these days don't have to be large to make power. After all, I know guys making 500 hp with 2L engines. Frankly, I don't see needing more than 150 hp on a bike the size and weight of our B's and that could be done without increasing the displacement. What's nice about the current engine is the torque. Like some of you, I've had higher hp bikes but wound up shifting a lot. And speaking of shifting...since I started driving a car with DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) and dual clutch with shifting paddles, I'm thinking this would be pretty cool for my dream future bike. Believe me, DSG with dual clutches can change gears faster, smoother, and better than you can manually. All that would be at your fingertips :icon_biggrin:. Cool tech like this comes at a price but, on the bright side, companies seem to be figuring out how to offer these features at increasingly temping prices. Won't it be interesting to see what kind of bikes we'll be riding 10 years from now?

motoman
04-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Someday soon, the Wing will have an Electric motor, or at least a hybrid. :shock:

I think the power-to-weight ratio on the Wing can support it.

It will be a brilliant showcase for Honda Automotive Electric technology.

shooter
04-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Several have posted about bigger motors but I say, maybe so and maybe not. Bigger motors usually means more weight so if you're into handling performance, that can be a disadvantage. Adding to that, motors these days don't have to be large to make power. After all, I know guys making 500 hp with 2L engines. Frankly, I don't see needing more than 150 hp on a bike the size and weight of our B's and that could be done without increasing the displacement. What's nice about the current engine is the torque. Like some of you, I've had higher hp bikes but wound up shifting a lot. And speaking of shifting...since I started driving a car with DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) and dual clutch with shifting paddles, I'm thinking this would be pretty cool for my dream future bike. Believe me, DSG with dual clutches can change gears faster, smoother, and better than you can manually. All that would be at your fingertips :icon_biggrin:. Cool tech like this comes at a price but, on the bright side, companies seem to be figuring out how to offer these features at increasingly temping prices. Won't it be interesting to see what kind of bikes we'll be riding 10 years from now?

You know Ken you are right about the torque. Unless you go through a town or come to a complete stop this thing doesn't have to be shifted much. Down to 25 mph roll on the throttle and it picks it right up. That's why I don't understand guys wanting a 6 speed. Just more shifting. Right now 5th is good from 25 to 125. That's what you call a broad powerband.

Jimmytee
04-22-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm one that doesn't really feel the need for 6 speeds. I'm sure I'd appreciate it if it were so. I still have the stock exhaust and I don't hear the bike going down the interstate. I don't see the need for more displacement either. More power sure, but as already stated, we don't need more displacement to get more power. Variable valve timing would seem to be a cool feature to add.

F6B1911
04-22-2015, 07:36 PM
F8B

FlaMike
04-22-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm one that doesn't really feel the need for 6 speeds. I'm sure I'd appreciate it if it were so. I still have the stock exhaust and I don't hear the bike going down the interstate. I don't see the need for more displacement either. More power sure, but as already stated, we don't need more displacement to get more power. Variable valve timing would seem to be a cool feature to add.

+1 What he said.

I don't need no stinkin 6 speed.

I got a 900lb bike, than get 40mpg on reg gas, at I-State speeds can pass at will without downshifting and the motor will last at least 200k miles.
This thing works just fine w/ 1800cc & 5 spd. Would like to see ABS but not much else.

I also see F6B remaining the same for a while, even if a new Wing comes to bat. I just hope the F6B stays around a while. I know mine will !!

Everybody was all jazzed about a "New Goldwing", when Honda moved Wing production from Ohio back to Japan at the end of 2010. All we got was a facelift.

edgeman55
04-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Mine is pretty close to just right for me.No need for 6th gear IMHO this engine is breathing just right for me at 3 grand.Only thing I would like to see is a more Traxion like suspension from the get go and it really would be perfect.Love the ergonomics for my 6'5" frame.love the brakes and she gets 42-44mpg on good ol regular pump gas.Wait a minute I just thought of one more change-Make the damn air filter easier to service:icon_rolleyes:

srt8-in-largo
04-22-2015, 11:52 PM
Idk about predictions... but I have two desires

1. Don't screw it up; this one is nearly perfect.

2. Open up to the performance AFTERMARKET; c'mon Honda... unlock the ECM.

ths61
04-23-2015, 12:11 AM
Someday soon, the Wing will have an Electric motor, or at least a hybrid. :shock:

I think the power-to-weight ratio on the Wing can support it.

It will be a brilliant showcase for Honda Automotive Electric technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15EALghp0

srt8-in-largo
04-23-2015, 09:20 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o15EALghp0

:crackup::crackup:

bertrider
04-23-2015, 11:52 AM
I don't consider this a prediction but rather something to go on a wish list. Honda needs to fix 1st gear. It's too low in my mind. Taking off in 2nd feels better at times and the motor sure has plenty of torque for that. Fix that and adjust the other four gears then maybe people wouldn't want a 6th.

Hornblower
04-23-2015, 12:30 PM
I don't consider this a prediction but rather something to go on a wish list. Honda needs to fix 1st gear. It's too low in my mind. Taking off in 2nd feels better at times and the motor sure has plenty of torque for that. Fix that and adjust the other four gears then maybe people wouldn't want a 6th.

Just something to consider with this...if you ride exclusively in the "flat" country, I could possibly agree with you. In our mountainous areas however, there is no way I personally would want a higher first gear. Having to start off on a steep incline can be tricky, even with the low first. For normal riding, and due to the stock gear ratios, I usually start off in first but short-shift to second. As a result, I'm OK with it as is (YMMV).

srt8-in-largo
04-23-2015, 12:34 PM
I hear ya on the 1st gear thing... but the bike needs to be able to handle the extremes like pulling a fully loaded trailer and 400 lbs of people up Lombard St in San Francisco... from a stop.

A better option IMO is to offer the OPTION of a lower final drive ratio for people who know they will never need such high torque multiplication. The existing ratio is about 3:1; they could offer a 2:1 ring and pinion which would do everything that a higher 1st gear and having a 6th gear would do.

srt8-in-largo
04-23-2015, 12:34 PM
You beat me to it Ken! :icon_biggrin:

typhoon186
04-23-2015, 03:07 PM
4 valve per cylinder heads
double overhead cams
6 speed manual
Automatic optional
electric windshield (up/down)
direct injection fueling
variable valve timing

Hornblower
04-23-2015, 04:03 PM
You beat me to it Ken! :icon_biggrin:

Yeah, George, you've got to be quick around here :icon_biggrin:

bertrider
04-23-2015, 06:25 PM
Well boys, I've ridden the Smokies, the Rockies in four states, the Sierras, the Black Hills, and the hills of San Fransisco as well as "flat country". My wing rider friends who I've ridden with for 25 years on all kinds of bikes over a large part of this country have complained about that low first gear as have I.

When I go camping I take my pickup. When I go motorcycling I ride. I'm sure that first gear is ok for pulling a trailer but that's not what we do. I guess its ok to have a different opinion and neither be wrong!

shooter
04-23-2015, 08:33 PM

Bert , you're kinda one-eyed. I wegh 300lbs and the wife 180. You stop on some of these hills we have around here and you need everything first gear has to offer.

Limoles
04-23-2015, 08:43 PM
4 valve per cylinder heads
double overhead cams
6 speed manual
Automatic optional
electric windshield (up/down)
direct injection fueling
variable valve timing

That's what BMW K1600 GT has in std. version ( not auto trans. opt. yet ).
It's priced accordingly too .

I was always thinking to be able and build any bike with options "a la carte". Needed and ordered , than installed by factory upgrades could attract buyers and flawing inventory be more beneficial for manufacturers . Auto industries are doing that , but not many buyers know about it . In past , having specific requests for needed options , I purchased few cars already and were always less expensive , than offered in available "packages". It could be not so traditional , but possible indeed .

Darren
04-23-2015, 08:48 PM
Personally on my wish list I'd like

1) No linked brakes, they are too intrusive, especially on gravel roads (we have a lot of them here)
2) 6th Gear, I'd like a true OD gear, it's nice to have the power for overtakes but would like a lazier gear for fuel economy on those long stretches of highway, I don't mind changing down for overtakes.
3) More modern dash, including gear indicator and back lit switch gear.
4) Updated radio panel

srt8-in-largo
04-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Personally on my wish list I'd like

2) 6th Gear, I'd like a true OD gear, it's nice to have the power for overtakes but would like a lazier gear for fuel economy on those long stretches of highway, I don't mind changing down for overtakes.

I *believe* both 4th and 5th are already true OD gears... 4th is about 0.8:1 and 5th is about 0.65:1

bertrider
04-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Bert , you're kinda one-eyed. I wegh 300lbs and the wife 180. You stop on some of these hills we have around here and you need everything first gear has to offer.

A higher first gear is something I would like. Its on MY list. It sure doesn't have to be on yours and when I first mentioned it I didn't realize it was so dear to so many.

Darren
04-23-2015, 09:39 PM
I *believe* both 4th and 5th are already true OD gears... 4th is about 0.8:1 and 5th is about 0.65:1

If you sit at 80mph in 5th the bike pulls 3100 rpm which seems a little high, could due with being 500 rpm lower, Just my opinion as a rider , also might help stretch a tank of gas further.

srt8-in-largo
04-23-2015, 09:56 PM
If you sit at 80mph in 5th the bike pulls 3100 rpm which seems a little high, could due with being 500 rpm lower, Just my opinion as a rider , also might help stretch a tank of gas further.

Agree.. but what are the downsides to doing this through the rear gears? This is a mod that could be done now, without having to wait and hope that Honda makes a tranny change.

Darren
04-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Agree.. but what are the downsides to doing this through the rear gears? This is a mod that could be done now, without having to wait and hope that Honda makes a tranny change.

No idea, I have no mechanical skills, I just ride em and brake em, mine is lucky to get a wash.

shooter
04-24-2015, 05:17 PM
A higher first gear is something I would like. Its on MY list. It sure doesn't have to be on yours and when I first mentioned it I didn't realize it was so dear to so many.
You live in flat country brother. I live in the Missouri Ozarks. That's the difference.

srt8-in-largo
04-24-2015, 09:35 PM
No idea, I have no mechanical skills, I just ride em and brake em, mine is lucky to get a wash.

:yes:

You live in flat country brother. I live in the Missouri Ozarks. That's the difference.

The oldest mountain range in the country. I LOVE Branson; been to many great shows there.

redinoliver
04-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Go Big or Go Home.... Honda WILL bring out bigger motor...it's in their genes...

Direct injection and small turbo would be nice; Perhaps 10 LBS of boost.

srt8-in-largo
04-27-2015, 09:33 PM
IMO factory boost on a Goldwing will never happen.

The complexity and the additional critical parts needed for a turbo (i.e. the oil pump and wastegate) seems to be counter to reliability after 100,000 miles or so.