PDA

View Full Version : Madstad

RSMIKE
04-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Installed today 11in.version weather was bad 38 degrees,so it was a good test in cool weather.
At 60mph no wind with it as high as it would go I'm 5ft. 10.
This is going to be fun with all the adjustments you can make.

F6B1911
04-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Yes, by far the best windshield system for the F6B.
Anyone interested in replacing their stock windscreen, this is an excellent choice, only wish I would have done this last year.

srt8-in-largo
04-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Another win for Madstatd! Glad you like it.

sandragggen
04-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Ordered a 13 med Gary today. $297 shipped.

Old Ryder
04-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Ordered a 13 med Gary today. $297 shipped.

Installed my 13" Dark gray today. Works great---but I should have gotten the 11". I let them talk me into it.

srt8-in-largo
04-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Installed my 13" Dark gray today. Works great---but I should have gotten the 11". I let them talk me into it.

Will they exchange it for ya?

hiflyer
04-23-2015, 09:30 PM

When we first began the Madstad discussion, the 11" was the winner, hands down. That's what I have and think anything taller to be too much. I'm 5'10" BTW. I was 5'11" before the back thingie.:shock: I have two shields, a clear, and dark, and then bought a custom cut, 11" smoked off of the forum. If you decide to order the 11", I think the shield alone is around $120, but don't quote me, ask them about the one that doesn't have the cut on the bottom. I like the custom one the best.

Steve 0080
04-23-2015, 11:26 PM
Also the most dry shield I have ever ridden behind !!!

smokinjoe187
04-24-2015, 12:58 AM
ok so im not totaly sold on this yet,how is the speaker sound??
does the wind noise make it better or worse

chipmaker
04-24-2015, 02:20 AM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5490-Madstad-made-my-radio-louder&highlight=louder

smokinjoe187
04-24-2015, 02:30 AM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5490-Madstad-made-my-radio-louder&highlight=louder

thanks,after reading all the stuff I found in the search window it answered a lot of questions,
yes i ordered a 15 inch light grey

thanks again to the forum for all the help and info..
just a word to future questions..hit the search bar first before asking most f6b questions have great answers already

Old Ryder
04-24-2015, 06:45 AM
ask them about the one that doesn't have the cut on the bottom. I like the custom one the best.

Do you have a picture?

hiflyer
04-24-2015, 07:00 AM
Do you have a picture?

On all M/S shields there is a 1/4 moon cut upward from the bottom of the shield, this one does not have that.

Old Ryder
04-24-2015, 07:04 AM
Yep. That's what I want. Thanks

Ixol Phaane
04-24-2015, 12:03 PM
On all M/S shields there is a 1/4 moon cut upward from the bottom of the shield, this one does not have that.

Why is your shield cut differently? Is it a current model revision, do you think? Or did you custom order it as such?

Edit - Oh, darn! I just reread your earlier post where you stated it was a custom cut. :banghead:

srt8-in-largo
04-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Also the most dry shield I have ever ridden behind !!!

To say this after the HUGE downpour we just had... is quite a statement! I think you were on the road to the travelling Vietnam wall when this came through.

For those who haven't been in a good Florida downpour, it's literally like throwing a bucket of water on yourself.

75tsiegel
04-24-2015, 03:00 PM

That is one clean garage.:winnergold1:

hiflyer
04-24-2015, 03:46 PM
That is one clean garage.:winnergold1:

It's photoshopped!:shhh:

srt8-in-largo
04-24-2015, 10:08 PM
:crackup:

ths61
04-26-2015, 09:07 PM
How much vertical travel does the Madstad shield have (for one and two up riding) ?

TIA

hiflyer
04-26-2015, 10:26 PM
How much vertical travel does the Madstad shield have (for one and two up riding) ?

TIA

I have an additional 3" from where mine is positioned for solo riding. Never raised any higher, but have to wonder at which point higher does it cease to work as designed. Talking about at which point does the airflow between the two shields become unusably disrupted with the outer shield too high, if that makes sense.

srt8-in-largo
04-27-2015, 10:22 PM

TIA

Hiflyers response seems right; I'd measure for you but my bike is in the shop.

I did a little experimenting last year and, IIRC, it seemed like I could move the airstream over my helmet up or down by at least the 3 inches of physical travel of the shield, but adjusting the rake angle allows the stream to be moved another inch or so. However, I didn't have a passenger when I did this testing so I can't say what the air did behind me.

Ebony Deluxe
04-28-2015, 09:16 PM

What size is the shield? Is there any turbulence for the passenger?

hiflyer
04-29-2015, 12:57 AM
What size is the shield? Is there any turbulence for the passenger?

I have the 11", unfortunately, since my passenger, "re: the little missus" will only go around the block, I can't tell ya.

Sierra03
04-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Just curious how long did it take to receive your winshield after you ordered it? I placed a order last week Friday and still haven't heard anything from madstad.

marmilia
05-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Just curious how long did it take to receive your winshield after you ordered it? I placed a order last week Friday and still haven't heard anything from madstad.

I ordered a 13" med grey on 4/27...... On 5/1 got a shipping notice from UPS with an expected delivery date of 5/7 and two emails from Madstad that it had been shipped. I went with the 13" because the wife likes to ride with me quite often, I am a tad over 6' and have a longer than average torso for my height so I figured I would try the 13".

hiflyer
05-02-2015, 04:33 PM
I ordered a 13" med grey on 4/27...... On 5/1 got a shipping notice from UPS with an expected delivery date of 5/7 and two emails from Madstad that it had been shipped. I went with the 13" because the wife likes to ride with me quite often, I am a tad over 6' and have a longer than average torso for my height so I figured I would try the 13".

That's going to work fine.

Steve 0080
05-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Yep !!!!

srt8-in-largo
05-02-2015, 08:29 PM

IIRC my order took a little while to acknowledge. If you haven't heard anything by now, I'd give them a call.

sandragggen
05-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Installed madstad 13" on Saturday. Install instructions are straight forward. Big improvement over stock shield by far. Never rode a bike with a shield on any bike before purchasing this standard f6b. I think I got it right the first time after reading all reviews on this site. Position of shield is going to be different for everybody because of upper body height, wind conditions, riding solo or 2 up. Also installed a smart mount back rest for the misses. Everybody is happy.:clap2:

Old Ryder
05-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Madstad switched my 13" for the custom 11" cut and the 11" is perfect. The collar on my pullover shirt barely moves and I am looking over the top. I have it raised up about 1 inch from the lowest position and it is great. Not so much for the wife--- so I adjusted the angle for the top to lean forward as far as it would go and --BINGO!-- her issue is resolved. When she gets off, I make the 20 second adjustment back to the original angle for me. Let me also mention that I have Baker hand wings and Mustang seat to go with my 6'1" frame and 32" inseam.

ths61
05-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Madstad switched my 13" for the custom 11" cut and the 11" is perfect. The collar on my pullover shirt barely moves and I am looking over the top. I have it raised up about 1 inch from the lowest position and it is great. Not so much for the wife--- so I adjusted the angle for the top to lean forward as far as it would go and --BINGO!-- her issue is resolved. When she gets off, I make the 20 second adjustment back to the original angle for me. Let me also mention that I have Baker hand wings and Mustang seat to go with my 6'1" frame and 32" inseam.

How tall is the wifey (without heels) ?

Old Ryder
05-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Errrrrr. Hummmmmm. Well..............:shhh:

She is NOT TALL by anybody's yardstick--- 5'4" maybe. The top of her head does not touch my chin. I don't think she sits any taller in the saddle than I do---we are probably about even. And we all know how the Mustang seat is shaped.

ths61
05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Errrrrr. Hummmmmm. Well..............:shhh:

She is NOT TALL by anybody's yardstick--- 5'4" maybe. The top of her head does not touch my chin. I don't think she sits any taller in the saddle than I do---we are probably about even. And we all know how the Mustang seat is shaped.

My wife is @ 5' 5" and is not digging the stock windshield. Have a taller/wider/vented shield on order that should be here today. Still considering the Madstad.

sir22
05-04-2015, 11:55 AM
I put the 11 inch madstad on but my wife wants to see what happens with the 13. I'm 5'10 30 inch inseam with the stock seat. I have tried the 11 in every position and find that I like it best all the way up and all the way forward. She on the other hand doesn't think it is as good as my former stock windshield that was on the HARLEY electric glide classic, So I called madstad and spoke with Sean who is sending out the 13 for me to try. Great people to work with. They are going to credit me back the shield when I send it back.

Thanks to all who have posted and also answered my pm that I have sent. Great bunch of civil people on this forum. It's refreshing to be a member of this group
Thanks

ths61
05-23-2015, 01:34 AM
I put the 11 inch madstad on but my wife wants to see what happens with the 13. I'm 5'10 30 inch inseam with the stock seat. I have tried the 11 in every position and find that I like it best all the way up and all the way forward. She on the other hand doesn't think it is as good as my former stock windshield that was on the HARLEY electric glide classic, So I called madstad and spoke with Sean who is sending out the 13 for me to try. Great people to work with. They are going to credit me back the shield when I send it back.

Thanks to all who have posted and also answered my pm that I have sent. Great bunch of civil people on this forum. It's refreshing to be a member of this group
Thanks

How does your wife like the 13" screen ?

Davidk
05-24-2015, 12:36 PM
I am confused. how is the Madstad different and better than the Honda tall shield?

slather1
05-24-2015, 12:42 PM
I am confused. how is the Madstad different and better than the Honda tall shield?

Check their website it works as advertised.

srt8-in-largo
05-24-2015, 07:55 PM

Check the vendor website; look at the pictures and read the dialogue... if you still can't see the difference you might need glasses :icon_biggrin:

The differences in design and function are plainly obvious.

mike2000t
07-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Just ordered a 15" clear after reading all of the great info here. I have a 19" Bagger Shield with a vent, but I am just not happy with it and wanted something with some adjustment. Reading how this shield works on their site and this one really helped with the decision . Plus the 60 day money back guarantee. If they are willing to stand behind their product to that degree, then there must be something to it.

choptop
07-19-2015, 07:43 PM
At 5'8",30"inseam, Mustang seat and appx 4,000 miles w/the Madstad on the 6, I am not sure if I have yet found the sweet spot.

mike2000t
07-29-2015, 05:35 PM
I finally have my new Madstad shield mounted. Great product that works as advertised. And the customer service is just as good.

My clear shield came with the holes messed up so i could not mount it at first. I emailed them on Friday night and got a response on Sunday evening, and that shocked me. Mark has worked with me to get the issue solved. I could not be happier with my experience and with the product.

ths61
07-29-2015, 05:49 PM
I finally have my new Madstad shield mounted. Great product that works as advertised. And the customer service is just as good.

My clear shield came with the holes messed up so i could not mount it at first. I emailed them on Friday night and got a response on Sunday evening, and that shocked me. Mark has worked with me to get the issue solved. I could not be happier with my experience and with the product.

I had a similar issue. I ordered the 13" with rounded bottom and it came with the wrong holes drilled in the shield. Mark told me to drill 2 extra holes, run it a while and get back to him. After riding it a while, I called them back and they replaced it with the proper holes drilled in it. I also requested that the round bottom replacement shield come without branding since I debadged my bike. The new shield came with the proper holes, rounded bottom and no branding.

Also FWIW, with the 15" down all the way, is actually lower than the 13" all the way up and works better than the 13" all the way up.

mike2000t
08-04-2015, 07:20 PM
My 13" shield is mounted and I love it. The 15" was just a bit tall for me, but the 13" is just right for the way I sit/my height. Mark had me drill extra holes in the messed up one that was sent too, so i ended up with two shields. Not that the taller one will see much use, but it was nice.

The Madstad makes for a nicer riding experience than my old fixed shield. Small tilts and adjustments make a difference. Love it.