PDA

View Full Version : BMW working on a new K1600 for US Market

Kurare79
04-23-2015, 11:15 PM
Hi There,

just read an article in the motorcycle newspaper: BMW heavily wants to enter the US market with a new design on the K1600.

These are early state pictures.

http://www.oliepeil.nl/images/stories/2015/04-april/2016_BMW_K1600_GTL_scoop_5.jpg

Also a version without the top trunk is imaginable to let it become a bagger similar to the F6B.

Of course it's in early state, but i personally think the front doesn't match the back at all. Right now it looks too much like mixing the elements of different bikes.

BMW has got a market share of 33% meanwhile in germany. They are very efficient in carrying the picture of freedom and adventure with their motorcycles in their aggressive advertisments. But they also do have big problems with some parts of the bike that lack quality that you normally think these bikes should have for their prices. They just called back 367.000 bikes to the mechanics (nearly 60.000 in germany). And a lot more of quality issues they had on several bike models like the "new" GS1200. About 40% of the owners of new bikes see the mechanics again because of defective parts on their bikes.

Limoles
04-24-2015, 12:00 AM
All models of GT and GTL 1600 are very beautiful and attracted many owners of iconic LT1200 , who were awaiting for refreshed tourer . I was among them and almost bought one . The only hefty price discouraged my attempt . Many recalls , specifically related to faulty electronics , zoomed out all my interest and sudden exposition of F6B changed my mind for good . No regrets whatsoever . This newest and unnecessarily redesigned model doesn't roll my heart at all .

Still love GS Adventure . It's a different animal .

Jimmytee
04-24-2015, 05:14 AM
All models of GT and GTL 1600 are very beautiful and attracted many owners of iconic LT1200 , who were awaiting for refreshed tourer . I was among them and almost bought one . The only hefty price discouraged my attempt . Many recalls , specifically related to faulty electronics , zoomed out all my interest and sudden exposition of F6B changed my mind for good . No regrets whatsoever . This newest and unnecessarily redesigned model doesn't roll my heart at all .

Still love GS Adventure . It's a different animal .

When I was window shopping , so to speak, the 1600 was on my list of potentials. I sat on one, the trunks do come off fairly easy. The one I was looking at had some interesting factory highway pegs. It actually felt like it would be pretty comfortable. I was entranced by the horsepower figures these bikes have. In the end, like other potentials, it just didn't have the flat six I love. Also, I was never enamored by the styling of these bikes. They look tall and I don't know, just don't quite do it for me. A restyled and redesigned one might do the trick. Then there was the price for admission coupled with the reported quality issues I've read about.:icon_rolleyes:

USMARINE
04-24-2015, 09:38 AM
BMW builts a great product. Before I purchased the 6 I test road a k1600 GT AND YES IT HAD PLENTY OF POWER. But the mantience issues and dealer availability really turned me off. Before taking the plunge on the 6 I had a 2004 R1150R that I just sold two weeks ago, so I am very familiar with The BMW line. I live 20 miles north of Atlanta and we only have 2 authorize BMW dealers in the entire city, compared to 4 Honda dealers within a 10 mile radius of my home, no brainier. Still beemers are sweet but the 6 is pure honey.

Limoles
04-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately , globalization of industrial world brought new awarness to the quality issues . Today , no final product has one , proudly represented signature to its trademark . Seems to me , every and each giant corporation found new philosophy of minimizing spendings on production to the "cost effective" level. World wide consumer became an "experimental pig" with no chances to escape , and mass production sectors knows it very well .

Kurare79
04-24-2015, 11:18 PM
I share your thoughts, F6B-Riders :beer3: The BMW K1600 also was on my radar and i am still watching the progress. The BMW dealer is just 1 Mile away from my door, but the little fact that the guys over there don't treat you like an customer if you don't show up looking like blessed with money they don't even greet you, made it easily for me to move on to the Honda dealer and they greeted me with a cup of coffee http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Trinken/smilie_trink_007.gif And now i am just so happy with the F6B :clap2: Some things seem just to happen for a reason.

All of you have a wonderful weekend... http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Fahrzeuge/smilie_car_044.gif

srt8-in-largo
04-24-2015, 11:34 PM
IMO the BMW tourers are too tall with a seat position and center of gravity that are too high... and they have too much of a sport bike lean-forward position. Otherwise, the riding dynamics and features are pretty darn good.

but the little fact that the guys over there don't treat you like an customer if you don't show up looking like blessed with money they don't even great you, made it easily for me to move on to the Honda dealer and they greated me with a cup of coffee http://www.smilies.4-user.de/include/Trinken/smilie_trink_007.gif

Agree... and amazing... the power of a cup of coffee :icon_biggrin:

Limoles
04-25-2015, 01:00 AM
IMO the BMW tourers are too tall with a seat position and center of gravity that are too high... and they have too much of a sport bike lean-forward position. Otherwise, the riding dynamics and features are pretty darn good.

... and I feel its aroma . Who said "The only nice people riding Honda" ? :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

53driver
04-25-2015, 07:34 AM
I like my coffee.
I have a Jura Impressa J8 - makes great coffee.
I do not have BMW - they do not make great coffee.

stroguy
04-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Gotta lose that transformers front end. Rounded lines are ok.

Philbert40
04-26-2015, 08:15 PM
I owned a gtl1600 before I found my f6b...lots of cool reasons to have one and not have one. All in all...my f6b is a fare better daily and long day ride.

F6B1911
04-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Gotta lose that transformers front end. Rounded lines are ok.

My last bike was a BMW, it was the first place I went when I wanted a new bike, walked the showroom, and walked right out.
The styling on the BMWs leaves a lot to be desired. Not sure who they are targeting, but the "Transformers" look just ain't for me.

MorrisGray
04-27-2015, 11:00 AM
I like the looks of the K1600GT and the R1200RT, and intend on going to test ride them both.

K1600 Gt / in-line 6-cyl / 1649 cc, 160 hp, max torque 129 ft-lb, 703lbs wet wt.- 650lbs dry wt.

R1200RT / new air/water-cooled boxer engine, 1170 cc, 125 hp, max torque 92 ft-lb, 604lbs wet wt.

F6B / 844lbs wet wt.

Pricing is steep but my local dealer who sells BMW and Triumph, has been very nice to me ever since I walked in the door for the first time a year ago, and has offered to let me ride anything on the floor. They also assure me that if I buy a new bike and if there is any trouble with it, they will provide me with a loaner bike while my potential purchase bike is in the shop, although I may need to get that in writing you think?

bigbird
04-27-2015, 11:43 AM
They also assure me that if I buy a new bike and if there is any trouble with it, they will provide me with a loaner bike while my potential purchase bike is in the shop

Great offer, because you'll need it.
BMW's are right behind Can-Am and Ducati in need of repairs.
Even HD is more reliable than BMW.

MorrisGray
04-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Yes that is what worries me. I don't know for sure how some of the ratings are factored in. If it is minor electrical issues that causes their rating to be so bad that is one thing. If engine failures that would be a very bad thing. They put a lot of new technology in their bikes so it seems understandable to me that they may have a good bit of technical issues. But I have not ridden one yet and may not like them at all. I want to go back and ride the F6B again with a taller windscreen and with my wife on the back of it. My local Honda dealer is very nice also. I know for a fact the 1800cc motor is ironclad but I am unsure if the F6B is the right bike for me. I would not get rid of my Harley if it were suitable to travel with my wife riding along but she wants to ride with me and has agreed to let me keep it no matter what I buy if I want to. I personally would rather own one nice bike that suits both of us together and me solo. Maybe buy me another dirt bike though and get her one.

I do wish all motorcycle manufacturers would sell their bikes with seats that don't need to be replaced immediately. For me the F6B seat would have to be tailored or replaced. It felt like it was pushing me toward the tank and too wide near the tank also. JMO... not worth much except to me :)

Fla_rider
04-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Yes that is what worries me. I don't know for sure how some of the ratings are factored in. If it is minor electrical issues that causes their rating to be so bad that is one thing. If engine failures that would be a very bad thing. They put a lot of new technology in their bikes so it seems understandable to me that they may have a good bit of technical issues. But I have not ridden one yet and may not like them at all. I want to go back and ride the F6B again with a taller windscreen and with my wife on the back of it. My local Honda dealer is very nice also. I know for a fact the 1800cc motor is ironclad but I am unsure if the F6B is the right bike for me. I would not get rid of my Harley if it were suitable to travel with my wife riding along but she wants to ride with me and has agreed to let me keep it no matter what I buy if I want to. I personally would rather own one nice bike that suits both of us together and me solo. Maybe buy me another dirt bike though and get her one.

I do wish all motorcycle manufacturers would sell their bikes with seats that don't need to be replaced immediately. For me the F6B seat would have to be tailored or replaced. It felt like it was pushing me toward the tank and too wide near the tank also. JMO... not worth much except to me :)

I guess to each his own. If you came off a NC700 or VFR with your wife, she would say the F6B seat is the greatest. I have not changed my seat, it does not push me forward at all (never Armor-All'd). In fact, I find myself leaning against the back rise often. To go forward would mean I would have to go uphill! I don't have much leg room at 5'7" so tippy toe is required when stopped unless I stand up off my bottom. After looking at stock HD seats I think you would find it hard to compare to the passenger section of a F6B seat. In fact, compare our seat to a regular GW and our passenger seat wins for size.

srt8-in-largo
04-27-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure if I'm easy to please or if the OEM seat grows on you, but I still don't have a reason to replace mine.