PDA

View Full Version : My understanding of Liquid Glass. Am I correct?

zeus661
04-25-2015, 08:32 AM
I bought a can of the stuff and no where on the can does it refer to it being a wax, just a polish. It states it is non abrasive but for it to work it has to have some abrasives in it.

It does polish but it does not protect, correct?

Therefore one needs to apply a WAX after using Liquid Glass to protect the paint.

Seem correct?

hiflyer
04-25-2015, 08:46 AM
No, just put it on, let t bake in the sun for an hour and wipe off. Do not get it on areas like the seat or any area that is not glossy paint because its hard to get off and not designed for that anyway. Even put it on the windshield and headlights, be sure all bug residue is off paint first. Do this then come back and tell us what u think. I know what you will say.

53driver
04-25-2015, 08:49 AM
No, just put it on, let t bake in the sun for an hour and wipe off. Do not get it on areas like the seat or any area that is not glossy paint because its hard to get off and not designed for that anyway. Even put it on the windshield and headlights, be sure all bug residue is off paint first. Do this then come back and tell us what u think. I know what you will say.

I haven't used mine yet....still waiting to get the bike COMPLETELY CLEAN before I do, and then get a sunny day in. Weather is just not cooperating.

bob109
04-25-2015, 08:58 AM
I bought a can of the stuff and no where on the can does it refer to it being a wax, just a polish. It states it is non abrasive but for it to work it has to have some abrasives in it.

It does polish but it does not protect, correct?

Therefore one needs to apply a WAX after using Liquid Glass to protect the paint.

Seem correct?

Liquid Glass is a Polymer and not a wax! It's formulated to bond to painted surfaces. If you read the "fine print" on the can it clearly states should it have to be removed steel wool and mineral sports are the recommended method. Do not apply it in a circular motion. Simply wipe it on, let it dry to a haze and remove. It is actually best to apply it in direct sunlight which bakes it on. The more coats applied the better the protection. It's good on windshields and clear plastic headlight covers. Follow the can directions and you'll be fine. Once applied a quick wipe down with "Lemon Pledge" or any liquid quick detailer is all you have to do to maintain the shine. LG is non-abrasive but when used on the F6B "soft paint" will leave paint color on the application cloth. Don't be alarmed. It happenes to everyone who uses LG.

zeus661
04-25-2015, 10:10 AM
Can I use it on my honda tall windshield?

Steve 0080
04-25-2015, 11:55 AM

Yes---front and back !!!

blackmetoc
04-25-2015, 10:12 PM
I did not know about the windshield. Awesome!

bigswole31
04-27-2015, 05:01 AM
So you guys put in on the glossy parts and the windshield, but leave the matte black and chrome portions untouched?

I have a Black F6B, FWIW.

Old Ryder
04-27-2015, 06:31 AM
I already have a coat of paste wax in the bike from January. Is is OK to put the LG on top of the existing wax?

hiflyer
04-27-2015, 08:10 AM
I already have a coat of paste wax in the bike from January. Is is OK to put the LG on top of the existing wax?

I did. I also had some pledge on it. It worked fine, but I'm sure the "purists" will tell you to use the LG cleaner first.

hiflyer
04-27-2015, 08:11 AM
So you guys put in on the glossy parts and the windshield, but leave the matte black and chrome portions untouched?

I have a Black F6B, FWIW.

Do not put it on the matte. I've waxed chrome before, but not with LG.

1surebet
04-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Sounds like a fantastic product...is it at NAPA or common auto parts stores?

bob109
04-27-2015, 09:38 AM
Sounds like a fantastic product...is it at NAPA or common auto parts stores?

Advanced Auto, Auto Zone etc.

Steve 0080
04-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Much, Much cheaper on eBay !!!!

stevenolts
04-27-2015, 02:21 PM
I hope this hasn't already been covered.

Will this cover or hide small scuffs or scratches?
I have had my bike only 6 weeks or so and already have scuffs and scratches all over it.

Steve

stevenolts
04-27-2015, 02:28 PM
Every time you throw your leg over the bike and kick the saddlebag by mistake it seems like it causes a big scuff or scratch.

I wish I had hard leather covered bags like on my old Harley. All they needed was a little leather treatment and they were good as new. Much more forgiving than this cheap paint.

One thing for sure the bike will now match my 1999 Honda Accord and 2001 Acura TL with the clear coat that seems to wash off in the rain. I love these cars and the bike but as good as Honda is at making these vehicles you think they could just pay someone else to paint them. Then they would truly be great!!!

Steve 0080
04-27-2015, 03:13 PM
I would use 3M scratch remover before starting the LG......Put on one coat each weekend for a month...they get easier !!! Then you should be fine...

CheesyRider
05-03-2015, 08:32 AM

I'm not completely sure this is a good idea. I have the Honda tall windshield. After reading on this thread it is okay to use it on the windshield, I did so. On my first ride afterwards, I noticed the windshield didn't have very good optics. It's hard to describe, but it was as if the shield was like those basement window blocks, just with each distortion not as severe and much smaller.
It is quite possible my windshield was like this all along. When I noticed, I was on my first dusk ride and the light conditions made the distortions more noticeable. But, now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it regardless of lighting conditions. I actually like the Honda tall shield quite a bit, so if I determine I did indeed damage it, I might get another. If it turns out they're all like this, I want to replace it with something that is the exact same height, but I might try a F4 Customs or a Clearview with recurve.

hiflyer
05-03-2015, 08:43 AM
I'm not completely sure this is a good idea. I have the Honda tall windshield. After reading on this thread it is okay to use it on the windshield, I did so. On my first ride afterwards, I noticed the windshield didn't have very good optics. It's hard to describe, but it was as if the shield was like those basement window blocks, just with each distortion not as severe and much smaller.

Any good wax or a product like LG will make a windshield clearer, if the shield is in good shape, it will look better, if it's bad to start with, who knows. But even a bad shield should look better with a coat. As far as optics, these products don't change optics, they make a hazey plastic clearer. I don't know if I am coming across right. It's not the LG, it's the shield. Wax or LG fills and hides fine scratches. I've used wax and plastic polish on plane windshields and M/C for years. With a Windshield like the Madstad, I could care less about the optics, as I always look over it, but it gets a coat of LG everytime the bike does so that it too will look good.

CheesyRider
05-03-2015, 09:18 AM
As far as optics, these products don't change optics
Thanks for the info. I figured it was a pretty good chance that it was just a coincidence on noticing the bad optics on the Honda tall shield after using LG. I look over my current shield for the most part, but when I slouch or don't look as far ahead, I'm looking through it. So, I want good optics. I think I'm going to get the 16" F4 with vent. I believe it is the same height as the Honda tall shield, just a little wider. It should solve the only two things I don't like about my current shield - bad optics and easy to scratch. I suspect the F4 will be pretty similar in how it handles the wind.

cosborn
05-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Talking about saddlebag scuffs, I'm surprised someone hasn't brought out a protector for the vulnerable areas of the bags. I bought a shop model F6B unseen and when it arrived it had a substantial scratch on the top of the right hand bag where some clown had dragged his booted foot across it.

Chris

:yikes:

vstar09
05-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Ok so liquid glass on the windshield...? I use it on the bike, whats the advantage on the windshield..? I been using pelxus on my windbender..a little pricey but works good..!

Old Ryder
05-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Much, Much cheaper on eBay !!!!

True Dat! Got the LG and 6 oz of the cleaner on the way for less than the 16oz LG from Advance-- shipping included.

hiflyer
05-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Ok so liquid glass on the windshield...? I use it on the bike, whats the advantage on the windshield..? I been using pelxus on my windbender..a little pricey but works good..!

http://cleanyourcarhq.com/liquid-glass-lg-100-ultimate-auto-polish-finish-review/

bob109
05-06-2015, 07:26 AM
http://cleanyourcarhq.com/liquid-glass-lg-100-ultimate-auto-polish-finish-review/

Excellent! Thanks for posting! There should be no questions as to what LG will and will not do after one digests this info:icon_biggrin:

stevenolts
05-06-2015, 10:14 AM
I have the F4 customs 14" tint with vent. (I love this windshield)
Very clear optically / it has a rain coating so I don't know if the LG glass will affect that or not.

hiflyer
05-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Excellent! Thanks for posting! There should be no questions as to what LG will and will not do after one digests this info:icon_biggrin:

And the cons are lame!

Paul B Blues
05-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping some of you can help me here. I took my bike to a pal of mine who runs a Car Valeting shop, he took all of the scratches of my crappy paintwork and over the weekend applied three coats of Liquid Glass. When I went to pick the bike up yesterday I couldn't believe just how drop dead gorgeous the bike looked. However, after a quick 10 minute ride home and after getting off the bike, I noticed the old familiar scratches on the fuel tank. On checking on another part of the bodywork it was the same! We don't have any baking sun, or hot temps at the moment, or ever. Was it that it wasn't baked meant the the LG didn't take, or maybe the coating was too thinly applied? Anyone else has this problem?

Cheers Guys.

bob109
05-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping some of you can help me here. I took my bike to a pal of mine who runs a Car Valeting shop, he took all of the scratches of my crappy paintwork and over the weekend applied three coats of Liquid Glass. When I went to pick the bike up yesterday I couldn't believe just how drop dead gorgeous the bike looked. However, after a quick 10 minute ride home and after getting off the bike, I noticed the old familiar scratches on the fuel tank. On checking on another part of the bodywork it was the same! We don't have any baking sun, or hot temps at the moment, or ever. Was it that it wasn't baked meant the the LG didn't take, or maybe the coating was too thinly applied? Anyone else has this problem?

Cheers Guys.

Paul:

From one who has used LG for years! It will protect your paint better than any wax product! I will,however, not remove swirl marks. LG is a great product but it will not deliver "perfection". A rubber buffing pad and the likes of 3M Polishing Compound is great for the swirl marks.

bob109

Fla_rider
05-26-2015, 04:29 PM
To give you newbies some idea how well LG works. I applied 4 coats 2 weeks before last years Rally. Please take note of the reflections of trees, clouds and sun in the saddlebag! 2nd pic!

14179 14180

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-26-2015, 04:39 PM
Black carnauba wax until perfection then seal with LG.
works great on mine.
2 bottles of LG later and paint is as it should have been.
J

Paul B Blues
05-27-2015, 05:18 AM
Paul:

From one who has used LG for years! It will protect your paint better than any wax product! I will,however, not remove swirl marks. LG is a great product but it will not deliver "perfection". A rubber buffing pad and the likes of 3M Polishing Compound is great for the swirl marks.

bob109

Thanks Bob,

My pal did an excellent job removing all the marks on the paint before he applied the LG. If the LG is supposed to form a hard shell and protect the paint, then it hasn't done on mine. You can mark the paint with your finger, just as it was prior to the LG going on. It's not hard, but it should be.

This is a picture of my tank, the paint is soft and no sign of the LG hard shell.

Paul B.....:icon_cool:

bob109
05-27-2015, 07:41 AM
Thanks Bob,

My pal did an excellent job removing all the marks on the paint before he applied the LG. If the LG is supposed to form a hard shell and protect the paint, then it hasn't done on mine. You can mark the paint with your finger, just as it was prior to the LG going on. It's not hard, but it should be.

This is a picture of my tank, the paint is soft and no sign of the LG hard shell.

Paul B.....:icon_cool:

One very important element of applying LG is to shake the hell out of the can before use. I have a habit of doing this several times and a few days before application. The ingredients of LG tend to separate and settle at the bottom of the can. Not sure why you haven't had good results. Maybe the use of a heat/sun lamp may provide better results. Having been in warm, sunny Florida for six months, I had several opportunities to sun bake the paint/LG. Don't get discouraged! Try, try, and try again:icon_wink:

Bob

Paul B Blues
05-27-2015, 09:05 AM
One very important element of applying LG is to shake the hell out of the can before use. I have a habit of doing this several times and a few days before application. The ingredients of LG tend to separate and settle at the bottom of the can. Not sure why you haven't had good results. Maybe the use of a heat/sun lamp may provide better results. Having been in warm, sunny Florida for six months, I had several opportunities to sun bake the paint/LG. Don't get discouraged! Try, try, and try again:icon_wink:

Bob

Thanks again Bob,

Yes I know what you mean about the shaking your can! We are due some good weather soon so the first sign of it arriving I'll have my bike out and I'll be adding more to the paintwork, after I've shanked the hell out of it first. I hope you get some rain soon, or don't you want any?

bob109
05-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Thanks again Bob,

Yes I know what you mean about the shaking your can! We are due some good weather soon so the first sign of it arriving I'll have my bike out and I'll be adding more to the paintwork, after I've shanked the hell out of it first. I hope you get some rain soon, or don't you want any?

Dry here in North Eastern Pa.! Warm and humid with a occasional afternoon shower which is fine with me:039:

srt8-in-largo
05-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Even the HARDEST clearcoats available will still scratch... so I wouldn't expect miracles with any aftermarket paint sealer.

The main point with many of these products is to provide a sacrificial layer to absorb the scratches. Then, when you correct the paint with a buffer, you are buffing this sacrificial layer instead of eating layers off of your OEM paint.

Paul B Blues
05-28-2015, 06:22 AM
Thanks Guys, all advice gratefully received 'all/right'

buckeyeken47
06-09-2015, 04:12 PM
I applied 2 coats of Liquid glass and took the bike out for a ride. I can't believe how good the paint job looks! So how many coats should I apply?

edgeman55
06-09-2015, 05:37 PM
I applied 2 coats of Liquid glass and took the bike out for a ride. I can;t believe how good the paint job looks! So how many coats should I apply?

As many as you want.Nice thing about the Liquid Glass is one can goes a long way.

srt8-in-largo
06-09-2015, 06:58 PM
... So how many coats should I apply?

Yeah, got any plans the rest of the summer?

:icon_biggrin:

BIGLRY
06-09-2015, 09:05 PM
I applied 2 coats of Liquid glass and took the bike out for a ride. I can't believe how good the paint job looks! So how many coats should I apply?
I apply it after every wash and when the first can is gone I have a second can on the shelf. LG is sooo easy to use I can do the whole bike in less then 1/2 hr. Just make sure the bike is completely dry and doing it in the sun is a big plus as LG needs some heat to cure to max hardness. I only put one coat on then the next coat of LG is at the next washing. :301:

Old Ryder
06-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Put my first coat on today. It almost changes the color. I can tell it is on there.

seadog
06-12-2015, 05:57 AM
Every time you throw your leg over the bike and kick the saddlebag by mistake it seems like it causes a big scuff or scratch.

I wish I had hard leather covered bags like on my old Harley. All they needed was a little leather treatment and they were good as new. Much more forgiving than this cheap paint.

One thing for sure the bike will now match my 1999 Honda Accord and 2001 Acura TL with the clear coat that seems to wash off in the rain. I love these cars and the bike but as good as Honda is at making these vehicles you think they could just pay someone else to paint them. Then they would truly be great!!!

You say cheap paint, wait till you have to buy some of this cheap paint, you will be impressed!:yikes:

swingfast
06-12-2015, 06:50 AM
Off work today going to pick up some LG. Been using three step turtle wax black, ok but lots of work. I was wondering if I needed to do any prep. after using the turtle wax before the LG? :039:

bob109
06-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Off work today going to pick up some LG. Been using three step turtle wax black, ok but lots of work. I was wondering if I needed to do any prep. after using the turtle wax before the LG? :039:

There are products from LG for cleaning prior to application. Been using LG for many, many years and all I've ever done is wipe the painted surfaces with a small dampened towel using a 50/50 mix of water and Ammonia. Works great for me, as I use the same mix to routinely clean my windshield which also gets the LG treatment.

buckeyeken47
06-13-2015, 09:24 AM
By my memory you should remove any wax you currently have on your bike prior to using LG. They sell a pre-cleaner for just this purpose.

swingfast
06-14-2015, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the info:clap2: