PDA

View Full Version : GPS/NAV Audio Override Integration ?

ths61
04-25-2015, 08:17 PM
Has anyone integrated their GPS/NAV (and radar detector) into the audio system such that it overrides the stereo?

Any integration boxes recommended or other ideas ?

TIA

srt8-in-largo
04-25-2015, 11:27 PM
Sounds like you want the Hollsco system (http://goldwingdocs.com/Store/Goldwing-GPS-Audio-Input.asp); created by a GL1800 rider, for GL1800 riders. I have one and it works great... but this only overrides audio used with headphones; it doesn't override audio on the speakers.

You'll need to buy a Y adaptor to plugin both a GPS and radar detector.

When the GPS speaks, all audio sources are muted until it's done, and then the audio sound comes back up to where it was before.

Hornblower
04-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Has anyone integrated their GPS/NAV (and radar detector) into the audio system such that it overrides the stereo?

Any integration boxes recommended or other ideas ?

TIA

I'm using this system and it works very well:

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=CFBR-GL1800

It's pretty cool that you can be riding down the road listening to your satellite radio and the GPS navigation will override that. Then, if your radar detector goes off, that will override everything.

ths61
05-04-2015, 03:02 PM
Found this product:

Prioritized Axillary 3.5mm Input Switcher (http://audiointerrupt.com/Content/AIAUX35mm.html)

Would work with something like the Garmin 590LM controlling an IPOD audio and a radar detector both being input into the bike's AUX input.

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Found this product:

Prioritized Axillary 3.5mm Input Switcher (http://audiointerrupt.com/Content/AIAUX35mm.html)

Would work with something like the Garmin 590LM controlling an IPOD audio and a radar detector both being input into the bike's AUX input.

What if you're listening to FM radio?

The beauty of the Hollsco system is it doesn't matter which audio source is being used; AUX, USB, or radio. All will be muted when the GPS is talking.

bertrider
05-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Cellset aka Kennedy Electronics can fabricate almost any type integration system you want. Send John Jambor your requirements and he can fix you up. Just google Cellset.

ths61
05-04-2015, 11:40 PM
What if you're listening to FM radio?

The beauty of the Hollsco system is it doesn't matter which audio source is being used; AUX, USB, or radio. All will be muted when the GPS is talking.

It looks like it requires a helmet headset ?

srt8-in-largo
05-05-2015, 01:57 PM
It looks like it requires a helmet headset ?

Exactly... and this is the only downside if you consider it as one; the muting does not work if you're using the speakers. I have a nice set of Klipsch in-ear speakers that double as ear plugs, so I'm always using the headset.

The Hollsco device gets installed in series with the intercom cable (the cable you plug your headset into). It also has an input port for connecting the GPS or radar detector or whatever; when a signal is detected on this input port, the intercom cable is "disconnected" and the signal on the input port is "connected" to the headset. Pretty slick but simple at the same time.

I guess another downside is that there is no two-way interaction with a phone. You can connect a phone to the Hollsco input port and you can hear someone leaving a voice message, for example, but there's no way to answer or talk back.

srt8-in-largo
05-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Cellset aka Kennedy Electronics can fabricate almost any type integration system you want. Send John Jambor your requirements and he can fix you up. Just google Cellset.

I looked at their stuff but got so confused by the website that I just moved on. It's a shame because they seem to have some cool and useful items.

bertrider
05-05-2015, 05:23 PM
I looked at their stuff but got so confused by the website that I just moved on. It's a shame because they seem to have some cool and useful items.

I agree the website is confusing but integration of various brands and types of electronic devices into the Goldwing radio can be complicated. I think that is why talking to Kennedy about one's specific requirements is necessary. For example, there are two ways to connect to the Goldwing radio, through the auxiliary circuitry and through the intercom system. I only know they sent me the black boxes that make my radar detector, cell phone and gps all work through my radio system and it works well.

vmaxed
05-05-2015, 06:57 PM

email Jon....... Kennedy@cellset.Com

srt8-in-largo
05-05-2015, 06:59 PM
I agree the website is confusing but integration of various brands and types of electronic devices into the Goldwing radio can be complicated. I think that is why talking to Kennedy about one's specific requirements is necessary. For example, there are two ways to connect to the Goldwing radio, through the auxiliary circuitry and through the intercom system. I only know they sent me the black boxes that make my radar detector, cell phone and gps all work through my radio system and it works well.

Nice man, thanks for that input. If I had to do it again, I may just give them a call to see what they can do, and if the Hollsco didn't suit my needs.