PDA

View Full Version : I think I've found the solution...

Vol1chuck
04-27-2015, 12:54 PM
to the "which windshield is quieter", "which speakers and amplifier combo will let me hear my radio at highway speeds" question.

Steve 0080
04-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Yes those are very nice !!!

ths61
04-27-2015, 02:03 PM
I bought a custom expen$ive ($500+) molded set of BigEar in-ear motorcycle speakers a few years ago. They now sit in a drawer because they are no good to anyone else (can't sell them).

The 2 problems I had with them was:

1) Sweat would pool in the ear.
2) The epoxy material they used was too hard and did not flex with my ears which became painful with prolonged usage.

I had not thought about either issue when I bought them.

BigEar Website (http://bigearinc.com/)

Steve 0080
04-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Mine are pretty soft, but after a few hours being pinched in a helmet they do begin to hurt !!!

Vol1chuck
04-27-2015, 02:59 PM
I bought a custom expen$ive ($500+) molded set of BigEar in-ear motorcycle speakers a few years ago. They now sit in a drawer because they are no good to anyone else (can't sell them).

The 2 problems I had with them was:

1) Sweat would pool in the ear.
2) The epoxy material they used was too hard and did not flex with my ears which became painful with prolonged usage.

I had not thought about either issue when I bought them.

BigEar Website (http://bigearinc.com/)

These are from F.I.T. Ear. (Big Ear owners brother/former partner) They are soft, but certainly not as pliable as their basic quieting only silicon model, which I also have. The sound is amazing and the noise muffling means very low volume, which for a guy with bad hearing from years of range instruction, is certainly a plus. I hope they prove comfortable.

Vol1chuck
04-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Mine a pretty soft, but after a few hours being pinched in a helmet they do begin to hurt !!!

I'm a half helmet, no helmet when possible guy, so hopefully I won't have that problem. Fingers crossed...

Steve 0080
04-27-2015, 03:37 PM
I'm a half helmet, no helmet when possible guy, so hopefully I won't have that problem. Fingers crossed...

You will be fine !!!

srt8-in-largo
04-28-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm not a fan of contributing to noise pollution or subjecting the cars around me to music they may or may not want to hear... so most of my riding is done with ear phones.

I use the Klipsch Image S4 -II Black In-Ear Headphones (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X9Q0JK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which sound great and, due to their sound isolating design, also serve as ear plugs to protect my hearing.

ths61
04-28-2015, 03:50 PM
I'm not a fan of contributing to noise pollution or subjecting the cars around me to music they may or may not want to hear... so most of my riding is done with ear phones.

I use the Klipsch Image S4 -II Black In-Ear Headphones (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008X9Q0JK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which sound great and, due to their sound isolating design, also serve as ear plugs to protect my hearing.

I wish Klipsch would make some KornerHorns for the F6B, 106db/1 watt/1 meter, then the stock amp would be sufficient. :headbang:

53driver
04-28-2015, 04:56 PM
I wish Klipsch would make some KornerHorns for the F6B, 106db/1 watt/1 meter, then the stock amp would be sufficient. :headbang:

Oh wow....takes me back. Had Klipsch Kornwalls...awesome cabs! Of course they more like pieces of furniture.

srt8-in-largo
04-28-2015, 07:51 PM
From Wikipedia:

"The eccentric touch and no-compromise spirit of Paul W. Klipsch is well known in the industry. For example, Klipsch related that when he was developing a smaller speaker for use between two Klipschorns, an acquaintance declared that he couldn't possibly introduce it to the public because it was in direct violation of Klipsch's own corner horn principles, and amounted to acoustic heresy. "The hell I can't," Klipsch said. "And that's exactly what I'm going to call it!"

A year later the Klipsch Heresy loudspeaker was introduced..."

With stories like this, how can you not like Klipsch :icon_biggrin:

tater
04-29-2015, 09:39 PM
For 10 years I have been making my own ear buds cheaply and with great results. Go to MidwayUSA and search "radians do it youself ear plugs".
Order the color you want, I recommend the natural skin tone and get at least a 3 of them. Next find a reasonable set of ear buds that you like that recess into your ear comfortably. This is important because you don't want a set that protrudes excessively out of your ear. Depending on the helmet you use, it can become uncomfortable. Because the ear bud takes up most of the space in your ear, you don't have to use much of the product to make a good fit. I can easily make two sets with one package of the radians. Its comes as a two part epoxy set, mix a small amount and pack it around the tip of the ear bud and slowly work it into the ear canal using a easy twisting motion. Pushing around the outside of your ear with your fingers will also help fill the voids in your ear. It sounds crazy, but try to keep you jaw open while it sets up. It gives you a much better seal since as your jaw closes, it also closes the ear canal a bit. You can mix up and add more of the product and continue to pack around the inside of your ear but be careful not to add more than you need to make it flush. Here's the real secret for a great fit and sound....use a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of petroleum jelly on your buds before you slip them on for your ride. It makes a great seal and it's like your in your own living room listening on your home stereo. I've got friends who bought expensive sets that they don't use and I've been happily riding for years with mine. If you don't get it right the first time, (I didn't) peel it off and start over. It's not rocket science but attention to detail is the key to a good and long lasting fit. Hope this helps

radi0chik
04-30-2015, 01:01 PM
http://www.plugup.com/ is where I get mine from. Husband has gotten his there for years. I'm on my first pair but the lady who makes them does a real good job. She's an audiologist, and has other random letters after her name :icon_lol: She sends you the mold putty, you put them in, let them setup, then ship them back. Then she will keep that set on hand (if you ask her to) so next time you need a pair, she can just re-make them. Wire is great quality, and earplugs are a perfect fit!