PDA

View Full Version : Any Madstad buyer's remorse ?

ths61
04-27-2015, 02:19 PM
Anyone having any buyer's remorse ?

Weight, vibrations, rain, cold weather, loose parts, rust/oxidation, clarity, heavy bugs (locust, june bugs), etc. ?

Looking for a year-round shield for both rider and passenger. Coming off of a bike that had an electric windshield and got spoiled by it.

TIA

RSMIKE
04-27-2015, 02:54 PM
I would say if you're looking for something that does the same thing as your electric windshield by this. The only problem I have with this windshield is the looks when it's all the way up. Other than that you can adjust the wind anyway you want.
I am 5ft 10 and run with it most of the way down and keeps the wind off just right.I bought the 11 inch version.

F6B1911
04-27-2015, 04:44 PM
Great Question!

I had buyers remorse, not at the price, but at the look after I installed it. It was uglier than than sin.
But you know, the look grows on you, The more you look at it the better it looks, you know, like a fine wine, only gets better with age.
No complaints on anything, I have the 11" dark and have great clarity, even at night.
Nothing has loosened, the shield is rock steady at freeway speed, nothing noticeable on my last WINDY ride.
What helps it the compliments you get on it.

But the most important thing is the protection, after 4 windshield installs, this is the one that works for me.

Steve 0080
04-27-2015, 04:59 PM
I have had 7 shields ..... this one so far is the best...and it is butt ugly, but it sure does work!!!

stukatz
04-27-2015, 05:11 PM
Great Question!

I had buyers remorse, not at the price, but at the look after I installed it. It was uglier than than sin.
But you know, the look grows on you, The more you look at it the better it looks, you know, like a fine wine, only gets better with age.
No complaints on anything, I have the 11" dark and have great clarity, even at night.
Nothing has loosened, the shield is rock steady at freeway speed, nothing noticeable on my last WINDY ride.
What helps it the compliments you get on it.

But the most important thing is the protection, after 4 windshield installs, this is the one that works for me.

I agree..

I hesitated on buying this windshield because of the looks. I took the plunge and couldn't be happier. It works and works well. I've had it for several months now and the look doesn't bother me anymore. I also get compliments on it. I have the 13 inch model. I'm 6'01. I have mine set about half way to get a little more wind. I got almost no wind when it was all the way up.

Ixol Phaane
04-27-2015, 05:48 PM
None whatsoever!

As others have stated, the looks take some getting used to. The hardware is not particularly sleek and could be aesthetically improved, IMHO. I hesitated to buy based on that. But I'm very glad I got over that and pulled the trigger.

I couldn't be happier with mine. I went from the OEM shield to a BaggerShield (which wasn't bad) to the MadStad. Windshields are not on my list anymore. :icon_biggrin:

vstar09
04-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Thats why I bought a Windbender......could not take the looks of the Madstad.....HPS at 11" the thing works Great for me....

ths61
04-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Thats why I bought a Windbender......could not take the looks of the Madstad.....HPS at 11" the thing works Great for me....

I see Windbender is doing something like Madstad (angle adjustments) to address higher speed issues.

hiflyer
04-28-2015, 07:19 AM
I see Windbender is doing something like Madstad (angle adjustments) to address higher speed issues.

And people think the Madstad brackets are funky looking?

SmallPasture
04-28-2015, 02:54 PM
:yes::yes:Once again this forum has help me out! I'm still stock and have been balkin' at the Madstad due to the looks. I shall be putting the "never used" Klockwerks flare up for sale and going Madstad!

Thanks again Gentlemen, and I use that term loosely! :icon_lol:

F6B1911
04-28-2015, 07:16 PM
I have had 7 shields .....

I believe there is some help available for this, just across the street from the Betty Ford clinic.

motozeke
04-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Madstad fulfills the promise. First windshield I had out of five that actually did.

SoCal Rich
05-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Same here. And it ain't ugly if you get a smoked one. IMHO.

ths61
05-16-2015, 01:19 PM
I see Madstad changed their website. It used to say the following that I still have in my internet cache.

"... Drive our system for 60 days. If you're not happy then we're not happy, simple as that, and you can return your MadStad adjustable windshield system for a ..."

"... Each MADSTAD system is built to order. Due to high volume, please allow a 7 day lead time for your system to ship. ... See our 60 day return policy ..."

Their new contact page no longer has this information:

Madstad contact page (http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.13/.f)

Their trial offer has been replaced with:

"...
RETURNS

We will issue a full refund of your purchase price only if the MADSTAD system is returned in good condition with all the parts originally shipped. If system components are missing or substantially damaged then we reserve the right to apply a minimum 15% restocking fee deducted from the refund amount. For example, if a windshield comes back with substantial scratches then the order would be subject to a restocking fee. This applies regardless of whether the damage was caused by return shipping or any other reason. Please wrap and package the returning items carefully, especially the plastic windshields which are easily scratched. We recommend a piece of cardboard be placed between the windshield and all other components in the box, and we also recommend that you insure the package in the event that the shipper is the one who causes the damage or loses the package.
..."

Steve 0080
05-16-2015, 06:03 PM
OK ???

F6BPDX
05-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Wow, the nerve of some companies. Now they want to charge you extra just because you return an item with noticeable damage preventing them from being able to resell it?! What a bunch of jerks! 'popcorn and coke'

ths61
05-23-2015, 01:40 AM
Update: Madstad's website has the 60-day trail period back.

60 day trial period. (http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.13/.f)

"...
RETURNS

If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, you have 60 days to return your system for a full refund.
..."

choptop
05-23-2015, 08:18 AM
My 6 came w/an aftermarket shield, a little bit taller than stock, I like the looks and don't mind the wind in my face and I can only imagine that it is better than the stock unit. What w/this 10 day/3,000 mile ride, in a little over a month, and this thread, I am considering a Madstad, 11"smoked. It will be a lot of shield time and all kinds of weather, thoughts?

hiflyer
05-23-2015, 07:17 PM
My 6 came w/an aftermarket shield, a little bit taller than stock, I like the looks and don't mind the wind in my face and I can only imagine that it is better than the stock unit. What w/this 10 day/3,000 mile ride, in a little over a month, and this thread, I am considering a Madstad, 11"smoked. It will be a lot of shield time and all kinds of weather, thoughts?

That would be a good move. Not only does it work better than anything I've used before, it will keep the rain off of you, provided you are moving. I've ridden thru several showers and never had to put on my rainsuit. Now if it's a general rain, you would need to suit up, but makes riding in the rain bearable. I would go for the clear though, I've had both.

choptop
05-23-2015, 09:15 PM
That would be a good move. Not only does it work better than anything I've used before, it will keep the rain off of you, provided you are moving. I've ridden thru several showers and never had to put on my rainsuit. Now if it's a general rain, you would need to suit up, but makes riding in the rain bearable. I would go for the clear though, I've had both.

I have made up my mind to order one next week, sorry but it will have to be the dark tint, it's what I have now, it's what I like and it will hide some of the Madstad ugly.:yikes:

srt8-in-largo
05-23-2015, 09:24 PM
I have the 11" smoked and I don't mind the tint.

It does keep you dry... even in a steady rain, but after a while water starts rolling down from the backseat and soaks your pants from the seat up. Rain pants still required IMO :icon_biggrin:

hiflyer
05-23-2015, 11:08 PM
I have made up my mind to order one next week, sorry but it will have to be the dark tint, it's what I have now, it's what I like and it will hide some of the Madstad ugly.:yikes:

I use the tinted unless I'm taking a trip. When on a trip, I want the clear for weather, nighttime road visibility etc. To each his own.

choptop
05-24-2015, 05:44 AM
I use the tinted unless I'm taking a trip. When on a trip, I want the clear for weather, nighttime road visibility etc. To each his own.
Sometime I may try a clear shield, just like the aesthetics of a tinted better, I pretty much refuse to ride at night, those Wi rabbits, "deer",:yikes: have taken out toooo many friends.