PDA

View Full Version : Line 'em up

hiflyer
04-27-2015, 08:33 PM
And rate them:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/live-to-ride/which-motorcycle-brand-has-the-highest-owner-satisfaction/ar-AAaE1HF

F6B1911
04-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Interesting numbers, never ridden a Victory, but great for them.
Really expected to see HD or BMW at the top of the list, guess maintenance and repair hurts?
Looks like HD needs to do some more homework.

shooter
04-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Thats just it. They don't have to do any homework. They just sell more bikes and merchandize than everyone else.

53driver
04-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Of course, to understand the survey one must know the questions and the answer pool from which to select.....

For example,
"Would you rather ride a Victory motorcycle or get a tooth drilled out?"
Strongly Agree/Agree/Neutral/Disagree/Strongly Disagree

"Would you support your local American industry by riding a Victory?"

"Would you support overseas foreigners and purchase a cheaper Honda?"

I mean yes, these are extreme, but I can rig a series of questions to prove anyone's point.
Just tell me who's funding the "study" and for a really great price, I'll rig the questions so the study goes in your favor.

F6B1911
04-27-2015, 09:13 PM
Thats just it. They don't have to do any homework. They just sell more bikes and merchandize than everyone else.

Yeah, but for how long? If Victory has a few more good quarters of sales and Indian starts selling, HD sales will take a serious hit. Then what happens?
When was the last time HD released a new product? V-Rod was the last one I can think of. The new entry level one's seem a desperate attempt to get the 1st time rider?
It's all great for the consumer, love to see what all the competition does in the next year or so, but Polaris seems awfully aggressive.

ths61
04-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Yeah, but for how long? If Victory has a few more good quarters of sales and Indian starts selling, HD sales will take a serious hit. Then what happens?
When was the last time HD released a new product? V-Rod was the last one I can think of. The new entry level one's seem a desperate attempt to get the 1st time rider?
It's all great for the consumer, love to see what all the competition does in the next year or so, but Polaris seems awfully aggressive.

HD came out with some lower powered models for the kiddie crowd.

srt8-in-largo
04-27-2015, 11:23 PM
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Harley board room... Victory is stealing a lot of their thunder.

How should Harley counter... what's the game plan?

Steve 0080
04-27-2015, 11:29 PM
I am sure H.D. is concerned ...but keep in mind they OWN 40% of the market !

Does not matter if you love/hate them...40% apparently love them !!!

srt8-in-largo
04-27-2015, 11:44 PM
They've been riding a wave of popularity for a LOOOOONG time; for a while, Harley was THE bike to own and they kinda still are.

I'd sure hate to see things go backwards for them... but you know what they say, sometimes it's healthy for a forest to burn down and re-grow.

bobbyf6b
04-28-2015, 01:59 PM
I read an article that HD's first quarter sales were down. Will they lower prices? Nope. They're gonna slow production. Yay.

shooter
04-28-2015, 04:45 PM

They don't have to develop new ideas. They don't need new models. Most of their technology is 50+ years old. HD owners don't want cutting edge. The just want to putt down to the local watering hole. We go riding. They go drinking and socializing and ride a little bit to get there.

F6B1911
04-28-2015, 07:21 PM
They don't have to develop new ideas. They don't need new models. Most of their technology is 50+ years old. HD owners don't want cutting edge. The just want to putt down to the local watering hole. We go riding. They go drinking and socializing and ride a little bit to get there.

Yes, exactly, but isn't that the attitude that almost ended GM, just a bunch of cigar-smoking old timers unable to move into the current century?

Old Ryder
04-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Does not surprise me at all. Victory makes a quality product at a reasonable price---and if you buy used you can get some of the biggest bang for the buck of ANY V Twin. I owned two of them before the B. They never break, but if for any reason, you need some work done or you need a part, then you are up a well know waterway with no propulsion device. If you need anything other than an oil filter or spark plug, then plan on waiting a week and paying for shipping to the dealer. Most of their dealers suck and Polaris likes to deny warranty work on a whim. There are a few good dealers and if you live in Florida, you can get by fine. Victory is a brand succeeding in spite of the company selling it---that speaks very favorably for the design team. You can take those same comments and apply it to Indian. :stirthepot:

shooter
04-28-2015, 10:24 PM
I am sure H.D. is concerned ...but keep in mind they OWN 40% of the market !

Does not matter if you love/hate them...40% apparently love them !!!

In my neck of the woods I think its closer to 75%. I mean that's all I see! We have four HUGE HD dealerships in about a 50 mile radius. And I mean these are major dealerships. And these guys sell bikes. These boys around here drink the kool-aid. When I go to bike night my M109R gets a lot of attention and now that I've been chroming out the B I get a lot of interest in it too. Hundreds of black Harleys on the lot and one beautiful B. After those guys have a few beers I bet its hard to figure out which one is theirs. I don't think Indian and Victory will hurt them much. Remember a lot of metric owners are gonna buy those Indians and Victory's too.

shooter
04-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Yes, exactly, but isn't that the attitude that almost ended GM, just a bunch of cigar-smoking old timers unable to move into the current century?
Its different with HD. Its a status thing. Its a cult following. Their Dad had one. Their grandpa had one. Its a tradition. Too many reasons. I mean you have to hand it to HD. Their buyers are loyal. I have a customer that just bought a brand new CVO Ultra Classic Limited. 110 motor with all the squawking chicken upgrades and options you can put on one. That's a $40,000 bike!! I've known this guy for years. He's a customer but he's also a friend. Smart guy. I just don't see it. But a lot of guys do.

Limoles
04-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Evaluation of motorcycles reliability and owner's satisfaction :

1) Japanese brands have the edge when it comes to staying out of the repair shop .

2) American makers has the happiest owners .

Simple and complicated in the same time .

ps.

Nothing about European bikes . Who knows , why ?

Jhox
04-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Of course, to understand the survey one must know the questions and the answer pool from which to select.....

For example,

I mean yes, these are extreme, but I can rig a series of questions to prove anyone's point.
Just tell me who's funding the "study" and for a really great price, I'll rig the questions so the study goes in your favor.

This is a Consumer Report study. Usually very fair evaluation.

bobbyf6b
04-29-2015, 10:52 AM
This is a Consumer Report study. Usually very fair evaluation.

Not true at all. They are the most biased and untrustworthy out there.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5415-May-Consumer-Reports-Issue&highlight=Consumer+reports

Limoles
04-29-2015, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=bobbyf6b;75171]Not true at all. They are the most biased and untrustworthy out there.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5415-May-Consumer-Reports-Issue&highlight=Consumer+reports[/QUOT

Since TRUE CONSUMER REPORTS have been replaced by PLAIN JOURNALISM - I share Bob's opinion !!!

Retired Army
04-29-2015, 11:31 AM
All published evaluations are opinions of the author. The limited income rider will purchase the machine that they can spend the most time on comfortably and safely. To achieve this, some modification may be necessary.

srt8-in-largo
05-01-2015, 11:59 PM
According to this article, if we rule out bikes of 600cc and smaller Harley owns 51% of the market.

This article describes Harley's perspective as being steadfast in light of the current market situation; that's admirable, smart, and probably the right thing to do for now. They're not discounting the price on bikes but they are offering lower financing rates.

We'll see what happens next quarter I guess; but if Victory and Indian are offering good bikes at discounted prices, how can Harley's market share NOT continue to erode? They'll have to follow suit at some point... and this may be the beginning of the end of Harley's holding their resale values as well as they do.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/harley-goes-whole-hog-against-205900833.html

winginitrick
05-02-2015, 01:24 AM

For example,

wow, never thought of this that way! you are right. id answer the questions the same way you are saying. yall keep on winginit rick