PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this problem?

Ebony Deluxe
04-28-2015, 09:40 PM
Someone at my job that was admiring the bike asked me how the headlights got all scratched up, after inspecting lights I noticed all was smooth, no scratches. After a closer look, it was spider webs
in both lights, how irritating!:icon_doh: Any Ideas on clearing these out?

Elroy
04-28-2015, 10:20 PM
I don't know about anyone else having that issue, but that creeps me the hell out. Speaking as an arachnophobic here. If that occurred in my bike, I'd be trading it in that day! And the dealer can come pick it up....yuck....:yikes:

yellow rex
04-28-2015, 10:23 PM
Are you using stock head light bulbs, and are the scratches inside or outside the lens.

53driver
04-28-2015, 10:23 PM
I have the covers over the lenses....I'll check next time out.

yellow rex
04-28-2015, 10:36 PM
53driver what brand of cover did you use.

Ebony Deluxe
04-28-2015, 11:32 PM
Are you using stock head light bulbs, and are the scratches inside or outside the lens.

So Cal HIDs, the light housings are smooth. I can see the webs inside the housing

BIGLRY
04-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Someone at my job that was admiring the bike asked me how the headlights got all scratched up, after inspecting lights I noticed all was smooth, no scratches. After a closer look, it was spider webs
in both lights, how irritating!:icon_doh: Any Ideas on clearing these out?Humm? must be some small hole some where to let a spider in, and in both lights makes me think they were sitting in a box on a shelf a long time. Can the bulbs be removed from them and accessed through there to clean the webs out?

Limoles
04-29-2015, 12:10 AM
Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. They are very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

This diagram shows the very different characteristics of the filament vs. the arc:

BIGLRY
04-29-2015, 12:11 AM
Are you using stock head light bulbs, and are the scratches inside or outside the lens.I don't think he has scratches, but real spider webs Or it sure looks like them to me on my computer.

BIGLRY
04-29-2015, 12:19 AM
Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. They are very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

This diagram shows the very different characteristics of the filament vs. the arc:I understand how Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps differ and produce light, but don't see how that explains what appears to be real spider webs to be floating inside the housing.:shrug::icon_biggrin:

Ebony Deluxe
04-29-2015, 12:35 AM
Have not seen critters, but webs seem to keep growing. Does not affect light projection, just knowing that they are there is a bother. I know that spiders prey on flying insects, and I have had a few major bug splattered rides that I have lagged on cleaning off the bug guts, maybe these guys are waiting for their next meal. Just a thought. Regardless the housings have to come off, and I have to find something to sweep the webs out.

Limoles
04-29-2015, 12:39 AM
I understand how Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps differ and produce light, but don't see how that explains what appears to be real spider webs to be floating inside the housing.:shrug::icon_biggrin:

... because heat , caused by increased HID radiation is greater , than thermal resistance of lens's plastic glass. This is an effect of increased temperature , causing micro cracks , viewed as a "spider web" . Usually spiders crafting different art , than presented in those pictures.

By the way . If real spider ( or two in both housings ) left its "web" inside , I assume their dead bodies should be visible somewhere , unless they simultanously "walked away" from both lenses .

BIGLRY
04-29-2015, 02:56 AM
... because heat , caused by increased HID radiation is greater , than thermal resistance of lens's plastic glass. This is an effect of increased temperature , causing micro cracks , viewed as a "spider web" . Usually spiders crafting different art , than presented in those pictures.

By the way . If real spider ( or two in both housings ) left its "web" inside , I assume their dead bodies should be visible somewhere , unless they simultanously "walked away" from both lenses .Hummm... probably so, I would just like to see them in person.:yes: Or one spider that has a way inside both????????????:yikes::icon_lol:

53driver
04-29-2015, 05:18 AM
53driver what brand of cover did you use.

These. Simple, inexpensive protection for the stock lamp.
http://wingstuff.com/products/3289-clear-headlight-protector-set-for-gl1800-goldwing

The picture is misleading - they are crystal clear.

yellow rex
04-29-2015, 08:43 AM
53driver I had a set of those but they rubbed the center of the light so I purchase
some from C Baily and they fit perfectly.

Limoles
04-29-2015, 10:55 AM
External protection from elements can be needed , but Ebonie's explanation of internal effect is not relevant . Don't forget , that those covers have also counteracting results to the light's effectiveness , limiting intensity of its brightness . It's a delicate balance between , what you gain vs. what you lose .

53driver
04-29-2015, 06:06 PM
53driver I had a set of those but they rubbed the center of the light so I purchase
some from C Baily and they fit perfectly.

Interesting. Mine have at least 1/4" clearance at the nearest point.

53driver
04-29-2015, 06:07 PM
External protection from elements can be needed , but Ebonie's explanation of internal effect is not relevant . Don't forget , that those covers have also counteracting results to the light's effectiveness , limiting intensity of its brightness . It's a delicate balance between , what you gain vs. what you lose .

Understood. No worries.

srt8-in-largo
04-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Am I the only one who has seen plastic do this? Your headlight housings are toast, sorry.

Heat could very well be the culprit, but to proffer other theories, pressure or a force applied to the headlights may also do this. Have you ever had someone push on the headlights to help you back up?

Sadly, the headlight units are about $230 apiece.

srt8-in-largo
04-29-2015, 11:10 PM
I don't know about anyone else having that issue, but that creeps me the hell out. Speaking as an arachnophobic here. If that occurred in my bike, I'd be trading it in that day! And the dealer can come pick it up....yuck....:yikes:

:crackup:

Are you coming to the Rally? Be weary of practical jokers who may be reading this :icon_biggrin:

Ebony Deluxe
04-30-2015, 07:34 AM
Am I the only one who has seen plastic do this? Your headlight housings are toast, sorry.

Heat could very well be the culprit, but to proffer other theories, pressure or a force applied to the headlights may also do this. Have you ever had someone push on the headlights to help you back up?

Sadly, the headlight units are about $230 apiece.
Have not had anyone push on bike, or had any impact on the housings. I can see strands of web moving that are not against lights. Are you saying that the So Cal HID lights are too hot for housings? if that is the case. Anybody else with heat cracks from these lights?

Hornblower
04-30-2015, 07:52 AM
Have not had anyone push on bike, or had any impact on the housings. I can see strands of web moving that are not against lights. Are you saying that the So Cal HID lights are too hot for housings? if that is the case. Anybody else with heat cracks from these lights?

IMHO, neither the stock halogen bulbs nor the 35 watt HID bulbs from SoCalMoto generate enough heat to cause heat cracks in the lenses. When you say you can see strands of web moving inside the lenses, I would assume that what you're seeing is, in fact, spider webs. Now...how spider or spiders got inside BOTH your housings is anybody's guess. The rubber boot on the back normally seals quite well. What you could do as a test, is remove one of the rubber boots and the bulb and blow some compressed air through the opening to see if this will clear out whatever is in there.

Ebony Deluxe
04-30-2015, 09:26 AM
IMHO, neither the stock halogen bulbs nor the 35 watt HID bulbs from SoCalMoto generate enough heat to cause heat cracks in the lenses. When you say you can see strands of web moving inside the lenses, I would assume that what you're seeing is, in fact, spider webs. Now...how spider or spiders got inside BOTH your housings is anybody's guess. The rubber boot on the back normally seals quite well. What you could do as a test, is remove one of the rubber boots and the bulb and blow some compressed air through the opening to see if this will clear out whatever is in there.

Will do, now that you mention that when looking down the tunnel on the right side I can see light coming through the boot. I should of done this when I changed out air filter. :icon_doh:

Hornblower
04-30-2015, 10:00 AM
Will do, now that you mention that when looking down the tunnel on the right side I can see light coming through the boot. I should of done this when I changed out air filter. :icon_doh:

Having either a tear or any kind of opening in that boot would surely explain your unusual problem. Hope you get it sorted.

BIGLRY
04-30-2015, 10:43 AM
I wonder what the non-spider web naysayers who have categorically stated it is heat related while all the time it has obviously looked like spider webs to me on my computer screen have to say now? :shrug:
Any new theories non heat or impact related? :icon_biggrin:
I do know heat can cause crazing on plastics as well as long exposer to the sun, just look at the head lights on a lot of older cages and the dull and crazing look to them.:icon_lol:
There must be a way a spider is accessing the interior, a very small spider can easly slip through a very small crack or hole and make the webs. :301:

Hey I'm just :stirthepot: waiting for the brown truck to make a delivery for one of my sick steel steeds.....not the F6B."coffee"

ths61
04-30-2015, 11:14 AM
FWIW, I had 55 watt HIDs (bulbs and ballasts) in my Vision's plastic lens for @ 5 years with no heat related issues.

The only issue I had with them was a large wiring harness to deal with (including large delay turn-on caps).

Retro-Solutions 55 watt HID Kits (http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?55W_DIGITAL_HID_KIT-pid664_html=/asc_action=SetCurrentProduct/prod_id=664)

srt8-in-largo
04-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Hmm; you see them moving? Let us know what you find.

I wonder what the non-spider web naysayers who have categorically stated it is heat related while all the time it has obviously looked like spider webs to me on my computer screen have to say now? :shrug:
Any new theories non heat or impact related? :icon_biggrin:

I would have to blame a 2nd rider on the grassy knoll :icon_biggrin:

BIGLRY
04-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Hmm; you see them moving? Let us know what you find.

I would have to blame a 2nd rider on the grassy knoll :icon_biggrin::icon_doh:'all/right'