PDA

View Full Version : GPS Question

hiflyer
04-29-2015, 01:54 PM
On the GPS units you use on your bike (or in your car), can you put in the coordinates to find a location? I have plenty of aviation gps experience, not so much these units. TIA.

Hornblower
04-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Hi, Keith! I haven't tried it myself but apparently, it can be done quite easily. Here is a short YouTube video on how this is done on Garmin devices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TsnGKdzPbw

Fla_rider
04-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Here's the deal, I think it's easier to put in 123 elm street, tampa, Florida. Then lats and long coordinates. Dang pilots can fly around the world but don't ask them to drive to mickydees!:yikes:

stroguy
04-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Actually my GPS experience is quicker with Lat/Long than street addys. enter city name, press enter. Enter street name, press enter. Did you mean.....Enter street number press enter. Did you mean.......

Enter LAT 30.02, press enter. Enter LONG -90.01, press enter. Go....Lakefront airport New Orleans.

Problem with LAT/LONG is having the database.

Our facilities are all by LAT/LONG.

Thusly it is easier to enter streets and addys.

Did I confuse anyone?

hiflyer
04-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Hi, Keith! I haven't tried it myself but apparently, it can be done quite easily.

Thanks Ken, that's what I need to know! I'm going to use it to find some specific work related locations, out in the boonies.

Bunny
04-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Thanks Ken, that's what I need to know! I'm going to use it to find some specific work related locations, out in the boonies.

what is the best way to hide the wires when you are hooking up the GPS to your Battery. where should i fish the wires thru - is there an easy way??

smokinjoe187
04-29-2015, 06:07 PM
i have been using waze for about 2 years on my smart phone...

zeus661
04-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Most Garmin will allow you to do that.

hiflyer
04-29-2015, 08:00 PM
i have been using waze for about 2 years on my smart phone...

There are some areas I'll be in that won't have cell phone coverage, all ready thought about the free GPS app for the iPhone, out there I'll need a real GPS.

Steve 0080
04-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Easy done...you'll be fine !!!

srt8-in-largo
04-29-2015, 11:54 PM
On the GPS units you use on your bike (or in your car), can you put in the coordinates to find a location? I have plenty of aviation gps experience, not so much these units. TIA.

Not only will a decent GPS unit allow coordinate entry, it'll allow you to choose which coordinate system you want to use.

While it's true that virtually all GPS's will allow that, the distinction, I think, would be in the types of maps that you can load. The Garmin handhelds that are made specifically for off-road use would have detailed terrain maps with contour lines and waterways... but the downside is these usually have quite small screens.

what is the best way to hide the wires when you are hooking up the GPS to your Battery. where should i fish the wires thru - is there an easy way??

Not sure why you'd want to connect directly to your battery... but if you want a clean installation with the minimum amount of wiring showing, I'd run the wiring down through the handlebar bars ("inside" of them). Then, from the front inside of the fairing, run the wiring into the left or right cubby area in the fairing. From here, you'll either have to remove some side panels or fish the wiring through to reach the battery area.

Instead of doing all that, why not just splice into the 12V power socket?