PDA

View Full Version : Nothing new here.....................

Old Ryder
04-30-2015, 09:02 PM
Same thing every year. :shrug:

http://www.wral.com/committee-votes-down-helmet-law-repeal/14613892/

srt8-in-largo
04-30-2015, 10:32 PM
"Only 41% of fatalities happen to riders who don't wear helmets"

No wonder it got shot down; that's not a compelling argument.

Fla_rider
05-01-2015, 06:45 AM
Lawmakers are dumb as a box of rocks. Here in Florida we can be pulled over for not wearing a seat belt in a car. We can be pulled over for not wearing eye protection, but the guy next to you doesn't need to wear a helmet? WTF? Personally I'm surprised insurance doesn't get in on this. I remember once applying for life insurance and they ask what my hobbies were and I said Scuba Diving, they said if I died Scauba Diving then I wasn't covered. The same should be done for bikers that refuse to wear a helmet. State law or no state law.

Ok, I'm off my box! Flame Away.....

53driver
05-01-2015, 07:07 AM
Lawmakers are dumb as a box of rocks. Here in Florida we can be pulled over for not wearing a seat belt in a car. We can be pulled over for not wearing eye protection, but the guy next to you doesn't need to wear a helmet? WTF? Personally I'm surprised insurance doesn't get in on this. I remember once applying for life insurance and they ask what my hobbies were and I said Scuba Diving, they said if I died Scauba Diving then I wasn't covered. The same should be done for bikers that refuse to wear a helmet. State law or no state law.

Ok, I'm off my box! Flame Away.....

As long as my tax dollars and insurance dollars aren't paying for anyone else's stupidity, either in a car, on a bike or under water, I'm good.
However, I know that isn't true.....:icon_rolleyes:

Spanky
05-01-2015, 07:26 AM
Nothing changes if nothing changes.

shooter
05-01-2015, 07:42 AM
Personally if you are 21 or older I don't think you should have to wear a helmet or seat belt. Too many laws and regulations. Government wants to control your life. Big brother is involved in every facet of your life.

Old Ryder
05-01-2015, 07:48 AM
The General Assembly meets every 2 years and every 2 years this comes up and it has the same result every 2 years. The last time it almost passed until a group of doctors strolled in the law making session-white jackets and full garb--to tell why it should not pass---I bet every one of them have never ridden a motorcycle in their life. At that time you had to prove you had a health insurance card to cover you, or you got a ticket if checked.

I have no problem wearing a helmet and really don't care one way or the other. Now, being unemployed I am told that---by law--I must go spend about $550 per month for health insurance that I may or may not need until I find another job. Just another one of those things that the gvnt tells you what to do when it doesn't cost them or they never ride. Unemployment insurance benefits have been reduced here in NC, but the new law requires you to have health insurance--which now takes much of your unemployment check. :icon_rolleyes: The helmet law doesn't concern anybody except the rider. What I want is a law banning ALL cell phone use while in a moving car. That ain't gonna happen, but I see it as a much bigger threat to bikers. I am about to draw my 26th unemployment check in my 60 years of life and my 45 years of working.

Rant over.

wjduke
05-01-2015, 08:06 AM
I agree on personal choice...mine is all the gear all the time. I have reason why, but it shouldn't be mandated. You can't fix stupid.

Ridlikhel
05-01-2015, 08:27 AM
I always have and always will say, " I have enough brains to wear a helmet."

I've smashed my brain up pretty good once before, from a work accident, and the surgeon said, those that are unconscious for 20 min., don't always come back normal.

Having taken over a month to get my thoughts clear, some friends said a year, I can say it wasn't fun being dumb.

Steve 0080
05-01-2015, 08:39 AM
Personally if you are 21 or older I don't think you should have to wear a helmet or seat belt. Too many laws and regulations. Government wants to control your life. Big brother is involved in every facet of your life.

+1

RLatt
05-01-2015, 02:27 PM
"Only 41% of fatalities happen to riders who don't wear helmets"

No wonder it got shot down; that's not a compelling argument.

+1

As someone who is alive today because of my helmet, just want to say thank-you to those who don't. More organ donors.

srt8-in-largo
05-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Although I agree that wearing a helmet is a good idea, there are occasions when I'm just dawdling through the neighborhood to 7-Eleven or something and I'd like to just get on the bike and go; which I do :icon_biggrin:

1surebet
05-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Although I agree that wearing a helmet is a good idea, there are occasions when I'm just dawdling through the neighborhood to 7-Eleven or something and I'd like to just get on the bike and go; which I do :icon_biggrin:

I wouldn't ride with anyone who had an electric start, wore a helmet, or a windshield. If a person had a swing arm (shocks on a bike), I may consider talking to them but it was iffy.

Today, and hundreds of thousands more cars on the roads + the fact I ride more than 80 miles an hour and more than a few hundred mile a day, i wear a helmet and all the rest. A life's lesson for me. Do not judge or press my thoughts on others. By the way, when doing 80 on a hard tail with a desert springer with a diamond tread Firestone tire, you tell your friends you were at least doing 110. Safety factor of about 180mph.

I'm with Largo now, and time moves on.:icon_wink:

Old Ryder
05-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Our lawmakers are very involved with the 2 wheel industry these days.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?5779-DUI-convictions-just-got-more-expensive-in-NC&p=76078#post76078

Texas TC
05-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Texas has been back and fourth on the helmet law. Since the late '90's, a helmet has been optional for those who have health insurance. During my Harley days, I never wore a helmet after the last law change. These days, I find myself wearing a helmet more often than not, especially in cold weather. I do, however, enjoy having a choice.