PDA

View Full Version : Raingear question

seadog
04-30-2015, 10:31 PM
On my old bike I was a fair weather rider but the F6B is sooner or later going to take me into an old fashioned rain storm so what is needed in the way of rain gear? Do you need a two piece or is the jacket and boot covers enough? Or all three pieces.

srt8-in-largo
04-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Jacket and pants, yes. If you're at speed on the highway, the fairing will keep your pants dry... but... water will trickle onto the seat and eventually soak your pants.

Boot covers are optional IMO. If you're again at speed on the highway, the fairing will keep your boots mostly dry... but... prolonged road splash will eventually soak your boots.

I love my Marmot Precip (http://marmot.com/products/details/precip-jacket-new) rain jacket. These are great for wearing around normally but have enough room and give to slip over most motorcycle jackets. I like them so much that I'm gonna order the Precip pants to go with them.

srt8-in-largo
04-30-2015, 10:43 PM
Btw, this jacket packs down really tiny; you can roll it into the size of about two fists.

seadog
04-30-2015, 10:51 PM
Btw, this jacket packs down really tiny; you can roll it into the size of about two fists.

Definitely worth the money and one thing is the fact it can get rid of moisture which a lot of them can't. Which is a problem solved. I had raingear before but it couldn't get rid of the moisture build up inside the jacket when it was raining. sound like good raingear to have.....Thanks for that...

srt8-in-largo
04-30-2015, 11:04 PM
One thing I don't like about our saddlebags is they don't breath; so if you end up throwing a wet jacket in there it'll never dry.

I think I'll eventually do what JimmyT did; he cut a hole in the bag and used Frogzskin to cover the hole.

bobbyf6b
05-01-2015, 12:15 AM
http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens.html?lifestyle=809

bob109
05-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Had several occasions where my Rain Suit worked just fine. Unfortunately my feet were soaked:icon_frown: Cured that problem with advice from the brother-in-law and purchased a pair of Spider Feet. Versatile and easy to stow the SF keep your feet dry. With Velcro strips there is plenty of adjustment features. A great product IMHO

Here's the web-site:icon_wink:

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVia4Z0NVOS8ARAIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBydDI5cXV uBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwM2BHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1430509625/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.spiderscyclecity.com%2fnew-arrivals%2fspider-feet-waterproof-biker-boot-covers.html/RK=0/RS=8kC1pipt2pf4yGI22djTqqECkbA-

stevenolts
05-01-2015, 09:38 AM
If you plan on going on a longer trip 1 hour or more you will need rain gear. You may leave in nice weather but it could change. If you do not have rain gear you are limiting your available ride time.

You will need waterproof / water resistant gear:

pants
jacket
gloves
boots
full face helmet

My Rain Gear:

$50.00 I bought some Tourmaster rain pants that go over my leather pants if needed. They have heat protection on the inner leg to prevent burning on the exhaust.
They are overall type pants with suspenders that come up high in the waist. (keeps rain from coming up under jacket)

$00.00 I had an old rain coat that will fit over my leather jacket.

$50.00 I bought some water proof gloves from Cyclegear (I only use in the rain)

$100.00 I bought a pair of bates water proof / thinsilate / goretes (great for cold or rain)
http://www.amazon.com/Bates-GX-8-Ultra-Lites-Waterproof-Black/dp/B000HV7IWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430488985&sr=8-1&keywords=bates+gx+8

$00.00 You should already have a full face helmet (I have the Scorpion EXO900 Transformer / great helmet / Inexpensive)

My Cold weather gear: (once again without it you are limiting your ride time)

$120.00 Scorpion perforated leather jacker with removable water proof . windproof liner (great for hot or cold) (I paid $120.00 MotorcyleGear.com / look for sales)

$125.00 I have a Tourmaster Synergy jacket that plugs into the bike (best thing I bought to extend my riding time next to my nice leather jacket.

$499.00 I have Dainese Alian Pele leather pants (great for down to 20 degrees / comfortable / full protection) These are expensive but you feel invincible wearing them. (Extreemly comfortable Italian D-Skin leather)

$150.00 I have the Dainese Drake Air textile (30 degrees through 80 Degrees) Very comfortable similar protection to the leather. They have airflow vents and breath well for summer riding.

$50.00 I have Dianese perforated summer riding gloves (very comfortable / breath well / great protection)

In the cold weather you need to bring gear with you because as the weather changes you can add layers.
I start out with the perforated leather jacket, half helmet, jeans and gym shoes then as it gets colder I add layers in this order step at a time:

Gloves (prevents wind from going up sleeves)
Wind liner
Textile pants
heated jacket liner (why be cold ever / it can affect your reflexes / safety issue)
boots
Leather pants
rain jacket (over leather jacket)
rain pants (over leather pants)

(this should take you from 90 degrees down to 20 degrees and extend your riding time)(I have had to use these steps many times on a long trip)

Communications gear:

$125.00 Sena SMH10 (on sale now / they have SMH20 out now but SMH10 is great also and on sale now) I have in my Scorpion fullface / and on my bucket half helmet you can plug earbuds in for bluetooth (no wires) / and on my bell 1/2 helmet with skirt that has pockets)

On my trip to Florida (800 miles each way) a few weeks ago I listened to the bikes stereo for radio and listened to the GPS on my cell phone via Sena bluetooth in my helmet. (this worked nice)

I know I went overboard on this but with the proper gear you can ride comfortably year round except in the snow and ice. I hope that my comments have helped you. You do not need to buy all this gear right away. I watch motorcylegear.com all the time. I pick out what I want and then watch for the sale.

If anyone has advice for me please share I am always looking for tips.

Thank you, Steve

baiao
05-01-2015, 09:59 AM
Rode to Tx Hill Country last weekend. I was in moderate rain for about 2 hours .. New Frogg Togg pants did not keep me dry.
The jacket worked fine..
BTW .. these are brand new set of Frogg Toggs.
I believe the leak came from the seams not completely sealed!
I will assume Frogg Togg is more repellent not water proof..:yikes:

ths61
05-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Rode to Tx Hill Country last weekend. I was in moderate rain for about 2 hours .. New Frogg Togg pants did not keep me dry.
The jacket worked fine..

Frogg Toggs also melt if you get them anywhere near heat (e.g. pipes).

stevenolts
05-01-2015, 12:14 PM
I like the Tourmanster Elite 3.0 Rain pants with Nomex (protects leg from hot pipes)
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-elite-30-nomex-rain-pants

I think they are worth the little extra. They are strong and fit over your riding gear. Quick easy on and of without removing boots (zippers on legs)

Steve

stevenolts
05-01-2015, 12:26 PM
I have ridden 6+ hours in the driving rain and not gotten wet with the Tourmaster Elite 3.0 (very important to get the Nomex heat protection)

Steve

DaWadd
05-01-2015, 05:19 PM
I have a set of WetSkins with a reflective trim that are very good. Not a fashion statement by any means.

seadog
05-01-2015, 06:42 PM
A couple of guys bought the raingear with heat protection against hot pipes. Where are you running into hot pipes on the F6b:shrug::shrug::shrug:

bobbyf6b
05-01-2015, 06:50 PM
The jacket worked fine..

Bummer. Mine work great. Been in a few downpours too.

Elin in So. Cal.
05-01-2015, 06:52 PM
http://www.froggtoggs.com/mens.html?lifestyle=809

I LOVE MY FROG TOGGS!!!!

F6B1911
05-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Back in the early 80's I bought a DriRider rain suit, only because it was the only thing available in stock at the local dealer.
It was a one-piece suit, worked great in the rain, I used it for quite a few years, always kept me dry.
After riding through a torrential downpour last year, decided to get a new one.
The new DriRider is just as well made as my old one, packs up fairly small, only had a chance to use it once, but it kept me nice and dry.

http://www.bikebiz.com.au/product_images/l/442/hurricane_suit_black__18175_zoom.jpg

Darren
05-01-2015, 09:46 PM
I use Alpinestars all good so far

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/alpinestars-quick-seal-rainsuit.html

baiao
05-02-2015, 05:42 PM
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK,, TIME TO GET BETTER RAINGEAR PANTS ..

cosborn
05-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Still use the Belstaff waxed cotton gear, haven't figured out the waterproof boot covers or gloves yet, hard to find here!

Chris

ISLANDER1089
05-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Frogg Toggs jacket and pants for me plus waterproof Alpinestar boots. In the summer I found that my riding gloves got soaked in the rain but would dry overnight. Before discovering this I had waterproof over gloves and these crazy things that go over your boots. Unless it's cold out, getting a little wet isn't all bad because you'll be dry by morning. I know because each summer I take a month and go somewhere new on my bike towing my Aspen camper trailer. No matter where you go you're going to get rained on over a month.

blackmetoc
05-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Bummer. Mine work great. Been in a few downpours too.

Me too. I rode for hours in rain and was dry, well, not my gloves and not my boots. I chose not to get boot covers. My feet got very wet. That was on a VTX, so I am thinking there will be a bit less problem on the F6B.

srt8-in-largo
05-03-2015, 05:17 PM

That was on a VTX, so I am thinking there will be a bit less problem on the F6B.

It'll take longer, but road splash and drips will eventually soak your boots even on the 6.