PDA

View Full Version : Why I am removing the Baker Mirror Deflectors?

Fla_rider
05-01-2015, 06:16 AM
Hi All- Recently I have made a decission to remove the Baker Wings from my bike. It's not that I won't have the same protection most likely I will have more protection. Here are the main reasons-

1. I noticed that at highway speeds the vibration of the wind on the deflectors affects the vibration on the mirrors. Which of course distorts the rear view.

2. At times I have noticed the deflectors are not lined up vertically, which means the wind is also bending the bolt coming down from the mirror. I have straighten this several times but don't feel it will hold up. If this bolt fails while moving down the road you could loose a mirror.

Love to hear your feedback, here are pics of what I have now and what I'm changing to.

13601 13602

P.S. this is not my bike! It's just a photo of a slower yellow bike!:icon_mrgreen:

hiflyer
05-01-2015, 07:28 AM
John, something ain't right, because I don't experience either issue.

bobbyf6b
05-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Hi All- Recently I have made a decission to remove the Baker Wings from my bike. It's not that I won't have the same protection most likely I will have more protection. Here are the main reasons-

1. I noticed that at highway speeds the vibration of the wind on the deflectors affects the vibration on the mirrors. Which of course distorts the rear view.

2. At times I have noticed the deflectors are not lined up vertically, which means the wind is also bending the bolt coming down from the mirror. I have straighten this several times but don't feel it will hold up. If this bolt fails while moving down the road you could loose a mirror.

Love to hear your feedback, here are pics of what I have now and what I'm changing to.

13601 13602

P.S. this is not my bike! It's just a photo of a slower yellow bike!:icon_mrgreen:

Compared to HD these mirrors are crystal clear, no matter what the situation. I haven't had any issues with the wings either. Do the new ones do better or the same at blocking wind?

Fla_rider
05-01-2015, 07:36 AM
The old ones have been on for a year, I have straighten them both twice now. The new ones are what full Wings are mostly using in my area, and claim its less wind on the passenger also. I have not put the new ones on yet, but I have ordered them.

P.S. Bobby- I know you just didn't compare our bike to a HD!:nono:

Fla_rider
05-01-2015, 07:42 AM
John, something ain't right, because I don't experience either issue.

1. You have to agree if wind turbulance is hitting the deflector then it must affect the mirror with vibrations, right? Those vibrations affect the clarity of distant objects in the mirror.

The new set will not be attached to the mirrors.

2. Look closely at the angle of the Baker shield to the bottom of the mirror assembly. It is not a large angle the stops usually prevent further bending but if you look closely the angle is towards the back when the shield is normal closed. It's slight but it's there. I don't think over time that this bolt will hold up. I've lost confidence. Another indication is the rubber dot on the bike faring is no longer lining up with the shield and you had to move it.

hiflyer
05-01-2015, 09:35 AM
1. You have to agree if wind turbulance is hitting the deflector then it must affect the mirror with vibrations, right? Those vibrations affect the clarity of distant objects in the mirror.

The new set will not be attached to the mirrors.

2. Look closely at the angle of the Baker shield to the bottom of the mirror assembly. It is not a large angle the stops usually prevent further bending but if you look closely the angle is towards the back when the shield is normal closed. It's slight but it's there. I don't think over time that this bolt will hold up. I've lost confidence. Another indication is the rubber dot on the bike faring is no longer lining up with the shield and you had to move it.

I don't want any more wind blocked than what I have. If I did, then I too will compare to the HD, where you suffocate in the heat. I am totally satisfied with the Baker product, and have said more than once it's the best addition I have done to any bike I've owned.

GiddyupF6B
05-01-2015, 09:43 AM
I've been well over 100mph (on a closed course) and have zero vibrations in the mirrors. I just looked at the bolts and they are as they should be.....I have the "new generation" not sure that matters. I'll keep an eye on them to see what they do over time. I do know they work that's for sure...took a ride yesterday and had to swing them open because my hands got pretty warm.

Fla_rider
05-01-2015, 09:54 AM
I can vent air in with the new ones and I have a vent in the screen so being in one of the hottest areas of the country concerns me too, but I think that I have plenty of air.

Yes I like the performance of the Bakers its just these other issues have me concerned over long term usage and vibrations to the mirror affecting clarity. I've put a year of milage on these Baker Wings that would be like 12k.

P.S. In the second picture I am not buying the lower deflector, also in the picture it shows the deflector touching the mirror. I've seen these installed, they come close but do not touch the mirror housing.

98valk
05-01-2015, 11:01 AM
I think that you have an odd and interesting situation.

My mirrors do not vibrate at any speed. And the deflectors are not going to bend. That hex bolt is rock solid. The angle bracket of the deflector assembly will flex some.

The hex bolt should be tight just like the screw was that it replaced, so the internal mirror bracket should not be able to vibrate. Maybe the hex bolt got cross threaded and will not tighten all the way up?

To make sure the hex bolt is in squarely, when closed, the wing deflectors should be precisely at the same angle/plane as the front of the mirror housing (tilted slightly towards the rear).

Hope this helps someone ....

Fla_rider
05-01-2015, 11:32 AM
SInce the hex bolt is a lock nut if I remember correctly, maybe I didn't torque it down enough, but the more I torque it down the tighter it will make the deflector from moving in or out?

hiflyer
05-01-2015, 12:21 PM
SInce the hex bolt is a lock nut if I remember correctly, maybe I didn't torque it down enough, but the more I torque it down the tighter it will make the deflector from moving in or out?

I think you may have crossed the threads somehow.

marmilia
05-01-2015, 12:40 PM
I have to agree with the others that something ain't right, I have zero difference in mirror vibration with or without my Baker deflectors and I just went out and looked at them and can see no way the bolt can be bending from just the wind.

edgeman55
05-01-2015, 12:47 PM
I am in agreement with all others here.There is no way if installed right that the bolt could bend the deflectors back.And I have never had the mirrors or the hand wings vibrate at any speed-These are one of the best add ons I have on my F6B.

seadog
05-01-2015, 02:54 PM
You guys need to take a M109R Suzuki out for a ride then you would know what wind is really like. I find the F6B to be a fantastic wind block to the driver and my hands out on the grips after my old bike. I can't see the need to add anything more than the Windshield to get rid of that 4 inch joke that comes on the bike. You would appreciate it more having come from the M109R Boulevard I got off of......

bobbyf6b
05-01-2015, 04:04 PM
P.S. Bobby- I know you just didn't compare our bike to a HD!:nono:

Of course not. Every time I ride my Sportster I wonder why it came with mirrors. They're practically useless.

hiflyer
05-01-2015, 04:11 PM
You guys need to take a M109R Suzuki out for a ride then you would know what wind is really like. I find the F6B to be a fantastic wind block to the driver and my hands out on the grips after my old bike. I can't see the need to add anything more than the Windshield to get rid of that 4 inch joke that comes on the bike. You would appreciate it more having come from the M109R Boulevard I got off of......

Don't knock it until you try it. Makes the bike better winter AND summer.

GiddyupF6B
05-01-2015, 04:20 PM

Spent 5 years on a 109 before this beast and that's why I'll take ALL the wind protection I can get now.

jimsol1
05-01-2015, 04:27 PM
I just installed the newer version of the baker handwings, and in the installation instructions, it states that the bolt does not go straight in, but will angle slightly backwards. Jim

Fla_rider
05-01-2015, 04:34 PM
I just installed the newer version of the baker handwings, and in the installation instructions, it states that the bolt does not go straight in, but will angle slightly backwards. Jim

Now this is interesting!

bobbyf6b
05-01-2015, 06:53 PM

That's true. I remember that now.

glryder98
05-01-2015, 08:03 PM
I have installed thousands of these hand wings in the mirrors. Try This. Put a rubber band around your mirror (top to bottom) so you don't lose the glass. Hold the stud with a 3/8 wrench and remove the lock nut with a 7/16 socket. Now remove the stud from the mirror. There should be a small metal washer on the end of the stud. If you have installed this stud in a straight up position you have crossed threaded the stud. Now wrap a small piece of teflon tape around the threads of the stud. Replace stud into mirror. the stud will angle slightly forward. Tighten stud securely. Next you should have a washer with a rubber washer on it that goes on next. Then the wing the large end should point forward then install another washer with rubber and then the lock nut. Tighten the lock nut only enough to make the wing slightly hard to adjust. There should be no mirror vibration at all. The wing does sit slightly off and not level.

Fla_rider
05-02-2015, 06:55 PM
I'll give it a try tomorrow, went riding today. Thanks!

redinoliver
05-03-2015, 10:17 PM

13601 13602

I installed a set this week; and no problems; even at 100 MPH. Make sure you have the steel washer on the bolt when you bolt it to the mirror otherwise the mirror will be loose.

Fla_rider
05-05-2015, 07:36 PM
I removed both baker wing and tightened the top nut. I guess I was worried about over tourquing it before. Nether bolt was cross threaded. I'll ride the baby to work tomorrow and check the mirrors. I also put new rubber cabinet disk on the faring, third set.

glryder98
05-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Alright!! Sounds like your good to go!

Fla_rider
05-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Nope the right mirror which was the worse side is still vibrating a lot. Maybe the mirror isn't sitting right in the holder?:banghead:

radi0chik
05-06-2015, 09:48 AM
When I first installed mine, I didn't get the mirror seated correctly. One of them (I forget which) was sitting almost touching the bottom of the plastic. It was obviously off-center. (height-wise) See if maybe your mirror isn't installed correctly? I removed my wings, removed the mirror, set the mirror in properly, and re-installed the wing. No more issues. I don't remember it vibrating when that happened, but I'm sure it could have.

Fla_rider
05-11-2015, 11:53 AM
SO last weekend I took a look at the mirror assembly and found a loose screw. This morning while riding to work I checked both mirrors again and sure enough the right side is still vibrating more than the left. Must re-look at all these screws and bolts. :banghead:

hiflyer
05-11-2015, 11:59 AM
SO last weekend I took a look at the mirror assembly and found a loose screw. This morning while riding to work I checked both mirrors again and sure enough the right side is still vibrating more than the left. Must re-look at all these screws and bolts. :banghead:

If I recall, the mirrors kind of pop into place, because of the Baker stop on the bottom of the housing, if not, then they are loose. They don't just slide in without some wiggling. I also remember a post of someone who lost their mirror for this reason. Look again.