PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for Yellowstone trip.

choptop
05-03-2015, 12:15 PM
About 3 weeks till our Yellowstone trip and I know the time will fly by. Their will be 12 of us, (1) rider will be mapping out the trip, it is his vacation, he invited us. lol
This will be my longest bike trip/vacation and although I would like to think I will be totally prepared, I know better. W/11,500 on the odometer I will more than likely have new tires put on, Darkside tire is anxiously awaiting a rim. I will do my own oil but it has not seen a shop since I picked it up w/4,000 miles and I think I should have it looked over. So the prep of the 6 is not in question.
I will be the only one pulling a trailer, Bushtec, no one has asked, I have not volunteered.
I will undoubtedly get a road hazard/towing add on. I would appreciate some bits of wisdom from those of you that have taken the longer/extended bike vacations and some do's/dont's and what to not forget or don't bother taking. Just me, someone has to watch dog.
Thanks in advance.

Kurare79
05-03-2015, 01:11 PM
@Les: :icon_mrgreen: :clap2:

@choptop: According to the experience of my last trip, i would always take a tire repair kit (http://www.stopngo.com/atv-tire-repair-kit/)with me. Saves you a lot of time and frustration. Really easy doing (even me with my two left hands would be able to do it).

hiflyer
05-03-2015, 01:19 PM
This time of year you need to be prepared for any kind of weather. It can be hot or cold, wet or dry. Having a trailer, you can take just about any and everything you can think of. Good idea of not volunteering to haul everyone's junk. I wouldn't either. I'll bet at some point you will be asked to carry something for someone. Have fun.

choptop
05-03-2015, 02:24 PM
@Les: :icon_mrgreen: :clap2:

@choptop: According to the experience of my last trip, i would always take a tire repair kit (http://www.stopngo.com/atv-tire-repair-kit/)with me. Saves you a lot of time and frustration. Really easy doing (even me with my two left hands would be able to do it).

Excellent idea and it has gone on my list !

choptop
05-03-2015, 02:28 PM
This time of year you need to be prepared for any kind of weather. It can be hot or cold, wet or dry. Having a trailer, you can take just about any and everything you can think of. Good idea of not volunteering to haul everyone's junk. I wouldn't either. I'll bet at some point you will be asked to carry something for someone. Have fun.

Thanks hiflyer, been told that especially were we are going, kinda learned that I wasn't in "Kansas anymore" on my first trip to Sturgis when I froze my arse of in August and saw hail and torrential downpours.

carpdm
05-03-2015, 02:28 PM
As stated earlier...bring layers to prep for all kinds of weather.
A good pair of comfortable and waterproof boots.
Rain gear
Sunscreen
Some good maps

Are you camping or hoteling?
What is your planned route through MN?

choptop
05-03-2015, 02:32 PM
By the way, had a brain fart, it's not May 25th:icon_frown:, it's June 25th, non the less, keep those hints coming.

seadog
05-03-2015, 03:00 PM
About 3 weeks till our Yellowstone trip and I know the time will fly by. Their will be 12 of us, (1) rider will be mapping out the trip, it is his vacation, he invited us. lol
This will be my longest bike trip/vacation and although I would like to think I will be totally prepared, I know better. W/11,500 on the odometer I will more than likely have new tires put on, Darkside tire is anxiously awaiting a rim. I will do my own oil but it has not seen a shop since I picked it up w/4,000 miles and I think I should have it looked over. So the prep of the 6 is not in question.
I will be the only one pulling a trailer, Bushtec, no one has asked, I have not volunteered.
I will undoubtedly get a road hazard/towing add on. I would appreciate some bits of wisdom from those of you that have taken the longer/extended bike vacations and some do's/dont's and what to not forget or don't bother taking. Just me, someone has to watch dog.
Thanks in advance.

Tell your people, do not put any food stuffs in your trailer or in any pod on your bikes. Anything that smells like food will draw big furry creatures to your bike to investigate. They won't use a key to open anything that contains food stuff or snacks. Been there done that......also in and around your campsite if your camping, you don't want them in your tent, they have very bad breath.....

choptop
05-03-2015, 03:29 PM
As stated earlier...bring layers to prep for all kinds of weather.
A good pair of comfortable and waterproof boots.
Rain gear
Sunscreen
Some good maps

Are you camping or hoteling?
What is your planned route through MN?

Leaving out of Eden Praire, 1st night in Gettysburg, 2 nights in Deadwood, 2 in Cody, 2 in West Yellowstone, head north to Montana, follow 94, threw N Dakota, w/stops/sights per trip planner, over 2 nights and get home, most to Minneapolis, me to Wi, Sat 4th.

choptop
05-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Tell your people, do not put any food stuffs in your trailer or in any pod on your bikes. Anything that smells like food will draw big furry creatures to your bike to investigate. They won't use a key to open anything that contains food stuff or snacks. Been there done that......also in and around your campsite if your camping, you don't want them in your tent, they have very bad breath.....

These "big fury creatures" you speak of, I am told their are no Saskatch west of the S Dakota/Minn border, and their vegetarians:icon_wink: and docile.

seadog
05-03-2015, 04:31 PM
These "big fury creatures" you speak of, I am told their are no Saskatch west of the S Dakota/Minn border, and their vegetarians:icon_wink: and docile.

Not the ones with the big long teeth and claws, they show up silently and trash everything in sight when they smell food. They have ripped doors right off of cars to get to the snack that people have left inside. I don't think an F6B would fare very well to that kind of onslaught.

choptop
05-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Not the ones with the big long teeth and claws, they show up silently and trash everything in sight when they smell food. They have ripped doors right off of cars to get to the snack that people have left inside. I don't think an F6B would fare very well to that kind of onslaught.

I am glad we will not be roughing it, but good advice, I will not leave any food stuffs in my bike or trailer. Thanks

sshake1905
05-03-2015, 07:01 PM
hey choptop....while in Cody or West Yellowstone....make sure you all do the Beartooth Pass Highway from Red Lodge MT to Cooke City MT...:yes:.both ways....NO other 65 miles (one way) in the U.S like it.....:yikes:yes:

also ride the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway between Cody and Cooke City MT..:icon_biggrin:..amazing scenery

Shaker

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Make lodging arrangements early and prepare to be baptised at least once a day.
Good that your trip is in June as a snow machine is the best way around that country in May.
Have good rain gear at the ready. Beartooth is a must and Sunlight basin too Cody is great but can be very windy. Avoid night riding as the deer, elk, antelope, ect move and feed at night.
Enjoy
Jim

choptop
05-03-2015, 07:25 PM
hey choptop....while in Cody or West Yellowstone....make sure you all do the Beartooth Pass Highway from Red Lodge MT to Cooke City MT...:yes:.both ways....NO other 65 miles (one way) in the U.S like it.....:yikes:yes:

also ride the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway between Cody and Cooke City MT..:icon_biggrin:..amazing scenery

Shaker

Our ride master/planner is a riding fool, if it's their and he wants ti ride it, we'll ride it. He is cramming as much has he can and still allow for some good clean party time. I am just along for the ride on this one.:shrug:
All of the people on this trip are members of our riding club, they love to ride, he loves to plan and lead the rides, did 325 yesterday w/them, sore as sht after that one.

choptop
05-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Make lodging arrangements early and prepare to be baptised at least once a day.
Good that your trip is in June as a snow machine is the best way around that country in May.
Have good rain gear at the ready. Beartooth is a must and Sunlight basin too Cody is great but can be very windy. Avoid night riding as the deer, elk, antelope, ect move and feed at night.
Enjoy
Jim

Lodging has been booked for a couple of months now. I don't ride after dusk in Sconnie, deer have gotten to many people I know.

BACA
05-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Just to be on the safe side I would pack an extra set of bearings for the wheels on your Bushtec. I have a Bushtec and haven't had a problem but all of my riding buddies (who also have Bustec) tell me to pack an extra set of bearings. You never know and I'm the last guy that wants to be stranded on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere because of a wheel bearing.

Just a suggestion......Have a great trip..........

Ride Safe but Often!!

Steve 0080
05-03-2015, 07:35 PM
I would take the tools necessary to remove the trailer tire and have a extra tube or two... Did you buy trailer insurance from your car/bike insurance company??? Cheap!!! About $50 a year!

choptop
05-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I would take the tools necessary to remove the trailer tire and have a extra tube or two... Did you buy trailer insurance from your car/bike insurance company??? Cheap!!! About $50 a year!
W/American family it is a no charge accessory.

choptop
05-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Just to be on the safe side I would pack an extra set of bearings for the wheels on your Bushtec. I have a Bushtec and haven't had a problem but all of my riding buddies (who also have Bustec) tell me to pack an extra set of bearings. You never know and I'm the last guy that wants to be stranded on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere because of a wheel bearing.

Just a suggestion......Have a great trip..........

Ride Safe but Often!!

Great idea, goes on the list !!

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Bearing Buddies - greasable bearing covers and a small grease gun.

choptop
05-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Bearing Buddies - greasable bearing covers and a small grease gun.

:yes:

Checked bearings on Bushtecs web site 25.00 for (2) bearings, enough for (1) wheel, $20.00 shipping:yikes:, will call tomorrow.

carpdm
05-03-2015, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=choptop;75956
All of the people on this trip are members of our riding club, they love to ride, he loves to plan and lead the rides, did 325 yesterday w/them, sore as sht after that one.[/QUOTE]

Choptop...does your riding club except new members?

choptop
05-04-2015, 03:17 AM
Choptop...does your riding club except new members?

Yes, google "Lost 202 riding club".

choptop
05-04-2015, 03:56 AM
13652Our 300 mile Saturday ride and the 6 amongst the others.13651

valkmc
05-04-2015, 11:16 AM

Shaker

YES,Yes, Yes on Beartooth. Great ride and a must see from the seat of a bike.

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Good luck on the trip Chop!

All these endorsements makes me wanna checkout Beartooth Pass too.

valkmc
05-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Good luck on the trip Chop!

All these endorsements makes me wanna checkout Beartooth Pass too.
Take a coat. I was there last week of June and there was plenty of snow on the side of the road.

BACA
05-04-2015, 08:00 PM

Chief Joseph Pass - Highway 296 (formerly Dead Indian Pass) between Highway 212 (Bear Tooth Pass) and Highway 72 (Cody, Wyoming).......Awesome Ride!!!!

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Take a coat. I was there last week of June and there was plenty of snow on the side of the road.

:yes:

I may go ahead and put the heated grips on my standard if it's like that.

sshake1905
05-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Being close by in Idaho, have gone over Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Pass 8 or 9 times in last 4 years....one of those rides you'll never get tired of doing.....:yes:

Best time is August or late July...as far as weather goes....went over it 3 times last summer, all in July....got rained on two of three times.....you just don't ever know when the summit is over 11,000 feet.....highest elevation 2 lane US highway in the lower 48....:yikes:

The scenery, and the road, is like no other......Shaker

bigbird
05-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Best time is August or late July...as far as weather goes...

Agreed.
Even in mid summer it's freezing cold up there.
There's still snow by the side of the road where the sun doesn't directly get at it.
Be prepared to lose a lot of power at that elevation, both for you and the bike.
The air is really thin.

Myf6b
05-05-2015, 04:58 PM
If you are pulling a bushtec be sure an check you helm joint mine broke last year and totaled the biked. I don't know if you can even see it ahead of time. My trailer was 10 years old not sure on miles but tires are still in good shape. Bushtec said they had never heard of that. I think the helm joint is less than $40 new. I was lucky it happened on flat interstate thank god not in mountains.

choptop
05-05-2015, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=Myf6b;76289]If you are pulling a bushtec be sure an check you helm joint mine broke last year and totaled the biked. I don't know if you can even see it ahead of time. My trailer was 10 years old not sure on miles but tires are still in good shape. Bushtec said they had never heard of that. I think the helm joint is less than $40 new. I was lucky it happened on flat interstate thank god not in mountains.[/QUOT

Mine is a '98, like new, but you never know. I will check out a new helm joint, thanks for the heads up !

choptop
05-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Talked to Bushtec today, didn't want to sell me anything. Said the wheel bearings were rated for 100,000 miles, he said lift the tire, spin it, if no drag, good to go. lol Hiem joint, never any problems, tires, if they look good, they are many plys, run flat, forget about it ! lol

I love it when people save me money but...

valkmc
05-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Talked to Bushtec today, didn't want to sell me anything. Said the wheel bearings were rated for 100,000 miles, he said lift the tire, spin it, if no drag, good to go. lol Hiem joint, never any problems, tires, if they look good, they are many plys, run flat, forget about it ! lol

I love it when people save me money but...

Don't have a Bushtec but have pulled my trailer all over. I pack bearings once a year and do the check they describe and have never had a failure. Guess I could carry a set never really thought about it.

jm21ddd15
05-08-2015, 10:12 PM
About 8yrs ago, riding in Yellowstone, lost track of time while being a dumb tourist. About 5pm, I realized I had better find someplace to stay. Sorry, the 2 Historic hotels were full, so I got a campsite. At 8000 ft above sea level, gets very cold fast, even in August. Frost on the windshield in the morn. I had no tent, just a 6x6 tarp tied off the side of he cycle. No sleeping bag, either. just put on all the clothes I had and froze my tail all nite. Happy to see the sun come up in the morning.

choptop
05-08-2015, 10:19 PM
About 8yrs ago, riding in Yellowstone, lost track of time while being a dumb tourist. About 5pm, I realized I had better find someplace to stay. Sorry, the 2 Historic hotels were full, so I got a campsite. At 8000 ft above sea level, gets very cold fast, even in August. Frost on the windshield in the morn. I had no tent, just a 6x6 tarp tied off the side of he cycle. No sleeping bag, either. just put on all the clothes I had and froze my tail all nite. Happy to see the sun come up in the morning.

You don't want to "rough" it like that to many nights.:nono:

jm21ddd15
05-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Was not a fun nite. Rangers came thru about 2am, woke everyone to notify us that a bear was in the area. Told everyone to lock all food in vehicles, or hang it from the trees. I had no food, just a couple empty beer cans I drank before I went to sleep. Lots of shivering that nite!

Kurare79
05-09-2015, 03:38 AM
@jm21: Sounds like survival training or survival of the fittest! 😄 "It's a hard knock life"

valkmc
05-11-2015, 11:18 AM

Been there done that, very similar story on my way to Alaska so wont go into it. When it goes into the 20's you want more than a tarp and a lite blanket!!!

choptop
05-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Ordered my Madstad 11" today. I like my short shield, not stock, a little taller and came w/the bike. Considering the amount of time in the saddle and the weather we will undoubtedly run into I thought an upgrade to the Madstad would be a good investment and make the trip more enjoyable. Thanks for the positive input, after that, the decision was easy.

seadog
06-07-2015, 06:23 AM
I just bought my Deluxe so I am unaware of what Honda puts in the Differential. If they have standard 80/90 weight in there I would have it switch to a full synthetic with you pulling a trailer it will put extra heat in the differential and a full synthetic would by far handle it better. Just a thought I had.... Good Luck and drive safe on you excursion.

valkmc
06-07-2015, 07:10 AM
I just bought my Deluxe so I am unaware of what Honda puts in the Differential. If they have standard 80/90 weight in there I would have it switch to a full synthetic with you pulling a trailer it will put extra heat in the differential and a full synthetic would by far handle it better. Just a thought I had.... Good Luck and drive safe on you excursion.
I have always heard not to change the oil in the differential until the manual calls for it.
Honda puts some extra stuff in there when new!

srt8-in-largo
06-07-2015, 11:40 AM
I have always heard not to change the oil in the differential until the manual calls for it.
Honda puts some extra stuff in there when new!

I heard that too; some kind of additive that they want to interact with the diff gears for a certain amount of time.

choptop
06-08-2015, 06:38 PM
Received notification from Madstad that my 11" dark grey shield will be hear on Friday, new front and rear in garage ready to mount, 17 more days till we leave.

scottcam
06-11-2015, 09:56 AM

I was on a cross country with a buddy years ago and, after a long day's ride, he bathed in a nearby stream, shaved, and put on some aftershave/lotion. The furry creatures of the forest enjoy that stuff, too. He woke me in the next tent screaming because a bear was licking the aftershave from his face. If you're going to camp, bring a laundry bag and hang everything that can be eaten or smells good with parachute cord between trees rocks or whatever is elevated.

Convert
06-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Chop Top, I'm leaving from around Milwaukee on Sunday and going out to Boise. Going to be going pretty much the same route and then west thru Yellowstone. Been on this trip a couple of times and love it. My wife flies out and
I ride the bike. I can usually last about 150 miles on my 6 before I have to stop and walk around a little. I usually put on around 700 miles in a day and don't feel worn out or tired. All told I put on about 4,000 miles. Great trip. I
ride alone on this trip and have always met nice people and had a good time. The tire repair kit is a good idea. Never had to use it thankfully. Going over the Big Horn mountains is great from Buffalo to Cody. Have fun and ride safe.

choptop
06-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Chop Top, I'm leaving from around Milwaukee on Sunday and going out to Boise. Going to be going pretty much the same route and then west thru Yellowstone. Been on this trip a couple of times and love it. My wife flies out and
I ride the bike. I can usually last about 150 miles on my 6 before I have to stop and walk around a little. I usually put on around 700 miles in a day and don't feel worn out or tired. All told I put on about 4,000 miles. Great trip. I
ride alone on this trip and have always met nice people and had a good time. The tire repair kit is a good idea. Never had to use it thankfully. Going over the Big Horn mountains is great from Buffalo to Cody. Have fun and ride safe.

Hi, went to Hartford High, spent many summers in Oconomowoc in the early '70's, still have friends their. Am looking forward to this trip. be about 4 days behind you, we are going to average 300 miles a day, hope this sciatic nerve thing is ok before I leave. Once we leave West Yellowstone and head north to 94 we will spend a couple days getting back towards the Twin Cities. Have fun !!

choptop
06-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Got my 11" Madstad today, just got threw installing it. Just like most guys I am not sure about the look, well I am sure that I liked my smaller shield LOOK better but this is all about the comfort, hearing the radio, staying dry and possibly warmer. I don't really like the gap between the back of the dash and the mounting shield, have a large diameter tubular black filler foam that I think I can use to make it look better. Tomorrow promises to be a half way good day, may do a test ride down to my brothers. I have not touched the adjustment knobs, it is as it came from Madstad, do they all come in the same position ? I have hear some say that it was great for them the way it came. I guess the ride will tell.

choptop
06-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Tomorrow I get my front Metzler 888 and my rear Darkside tire on.
A copy of our ride itinerary that the ride leader gave us this weekend.

jm21ddd15
06-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Tomorrow I get my front Metzler 888 and my rear Darkside tire on.
A copy of our ride itinerary that the ride leader gave us this weekend.
It's a nice schedule, and a nice plan. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for your group. If I'm on the road that long, I usually have "do nothing day", which could cover rain, etc. Then I may find a laundro mat, that way I don't need to haul so many cloths. Some of those roads might not sound very appealing, if you get bad weather, so be flexible, and have fun! :biggthumpup:

choptop
06-21-2015, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=jm21ddd15;85328]It's a nice schedule, and a nice plan. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for your group. If I'm on the road that long, I usually have "do nothing day", which could cover rain, etc. Then I may find a laundro mat, that way I don't need to haul so many cloths. Some of those roads might not sound very appealing, if you get bad weather, so be flexible, and have fun! :biggthumpup:[/QUOTE

Our ride leader is a riding machine, me , not so much, especially w/dealing w/a sciatic nerve issue for the past (3) weeks, I plan days off to screw off.

jm21ddd15
06-21-2015, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE=jm21ddd15;85328]It's a nice schedule, and a nice plan. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for your group. If I'm on the road that long, I usually have "do nothing day", which could cover rain, etc. Then I may find a laundro mat, that way I don't need to haul so many cloths. Some of those roads might not sound very appealing, if you get bad weather, so be flexible, and have fun! :biggthumpup:[/QUOTE

Our ride leader is a riding machine, me , not so much, especially w/dealing w/a sciatic nerve issue for the past (3) weeks, I plan days off to screw off.

Good Idea with the days off. There's tons of stuff to see on a trip like yours, and sometimes you just gotta stop and check things out. Enjoy it! 'gw-smiley'

choptop
06-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Looking at the new Gopro Silver 4, for my Yellowstone trip, supposed to be more user friendly and is the only one of the Gopros that has a screen that allows you to see what you are shooting at, any input. Thanks in advance.

53driver
06-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Looking at the new Gopro Silver 4, for my Yellowstone trip, supposed to be more user friendly and is the only one of the Gopros that has a screen that allows you to see what you are shooting at, any input. Thanks in advance.

Having a screen to let you see what you are recording is fine, for "non-motorcycle" time.

While riding the bike? You will not be staring at that screen, I hope....:yikes:
Maybe save a few bucks..... My $0.02.

choptop
06-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Having a screen to let you see what you are recording is fine, for "non-motorcycle" time.

While riding the bike? You will not be staring at that screen, I hope....:yikes:
Maybe save a few bucks..... My $0.02.

No but when I mount it for riding I can see what direction and what the camera will be shooting, a few degrees off, in guessing were to point it can make the difference between good vacation photo's/movies or bad.

choptop
06-26-2015, 06:44 AM
Waking up at Bob's Resort in Gettysburg SD. Darkseid tire @ 43# feels great, Bushtech trailers well @ north of 80 mph, 212 out of Twin Cities to SD is long and curveless, must be like Florida.lol
F6b does not run well on farm/recreational grade diesel but if you drain it out,fill it up w/ 91 it will barely idle for a minute then run like a champ when the 91 hits the lines,don't ax me how I know this.
Mistakes were made! Bseg

choptop
06-26-2015, 07:48 PM
470 miles yesterday, 300 today, just checked into Keystone Boardwalk for 3 nights. Bike running good, weather great, face and arms burnt beyond repair. lol

pics to follow.

53driver
06-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Awesome!

hiflyer
06-26-2015, 10:58 PM
470 miles yesterday, 300 today, just checked into Keystone Boardwalk for 3 nights. Bike running good, weather great, face and arms burnt beyond repair. lol

pics to follow.

Been there done that, that's why when it's too hot for any jacket, I wear a white long sleeve t shirt, and always a full face when taking a trip. Hope your are having a ball otherwise. Now about that diesel???

choptop
06-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Great crew to ride with,left at 10,got back at 730. 6 is a survivor and is running great. Taking a vacation day tomorrow and not riding w/the crew.saving myself for Yellowstone.