PDA

View Full Version : Butt pads?

zeus661
05-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Looking for something to put on my seat. Like the beads but wondering if they wear into the seat. I have the original seat. Just want something to keep the temperature down.

Thanks

hiflyer
05-03-2015, 01:02 PM
Even though I have tried several after market seats, I prefer the stock one. To change up the ride on those days I want to make a lot of miles. I alternate between an Airhawk, a mesh pad, or the seat without a pad. This works for me. Here is a pic of the mesh pad for hot days, with a matching mesh pad on the backrest.

flat6bagger
05-03-2015, 01:35 PM
I have a bead rider.
I have to figure a good way to mount it before I put it on.
I had it on my Yamaha and loved it.
It did indent into the seat but after it sat,the dimples came out.

choptop
05-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Good information considering I will be putting on some miles next month. Any one use those sheep things on their seats?

Ixol Phaane
05-03-2015, 05:11 PM
+1 for the AirHawk. It makes a nice change.

I've never ridden on sheepskin, but many of the motor LEOs here in Phoenix swear by it. The closest I've come to that was a couple of custom reupholstered seats using a velour-type material. It makes a huge difference in the desert heat.

The nice thing about reupholstering is it can be done locally on the cheap. If $ is an object, it beats the hell out of shelling out for a Mustang or Corbin, etc.

flat6bagger
05-03-2015, 06:44 PM
I had an Airhawk and gave it away.
It made me feel like I was constantly moving no matter how much air was in or out of it.
I also tried the gel style.
Those definitely made me move around.
It also got hot.
The beads to me were the only answer.
They let cool air to flow between the seat and you,
What makes a seat uncomfortable is mostly do to heat build up in the butt cheek area.

db24
05-03-2015, 08:22 PM
I'll send you a once-used Air Hawk for the price of shipping if you want to give it a try. They work.

bobbyf6b
05-03-2015, 08:25 PM
http://alaskaleather.com/

DaWadd
05-03-2015, 08:31 PM
I have a medium AirHawk and also an AlaskaLeather sheepskin cover and if I had to choose, the AirHawk wins. But either one is a good addition.

jm21ddd15
05-03-2015, 08:38 PM
I too, like the stock seat. however, I also change up with a mesh. It only raises the rider up less than 1/2 inch. I have a gel pad, but that raises me a good inch, comfy, but I have a 12" windshield, so that puts me up a bit too high. Consider your windshield height, before spending your $$. Also, your weight will vary the comfort level of the different types of seat pads.

Steve 0080
05-03-2015, 08:38 PM
+1 on the Airhawk!!!

hiflyer
05-03-2015, 09:04 PM
All day comfort, is about taking the pressure off of certain points of your posterior, at different intervals. That's why I have 3 options. I usually change up at gas stops. My key to long distance riding, is consistency. I seldom go longer than 120 miles between gas/bathroom stops, and I don't spend longer than 10 minutes at each stop. I also spend that time hydrating and stretching, then it's back on the bike. YMMV, this is only my routine, and the reason I usually ride by myself.

yellow rex
05-03-2015, 10:04 PM
You may want to look at But Buffer it is amazing pad, never bought one but one year at Wing Ding
the But Buffer people had me sat on a seat with 2 half inch bolts and a ring of key between the seat and
the pad you could not fill any of that threw the pad.

Sorcerer
05-03-2015, 10:06 PM
I have a short hair sheep skin. I had on my Valkryie. Just back from a trip. My travel days 3, 791 miles, 655 miles, 683 miles. We also put 1200+ miles on over 5 days of day rides.

bobbyf6b
05-03-2015, 11:23 PM
I just ordered mine, finally. I've been thinking about it for two years now. :icon_rolleyes: I will report back when I try it out.

Full Pelt with Straps Sheepskin Buttpad - Black Sheared / No Driver Cutouts

tinkerman
05-04-2015, 05:41 AM
Sheepskin of your choice.....many of the suppliers have shaped sheepskin pads now with a gripping material on the back. I have an old one I used on the 88 Heritage for years.....use it on my Ford farm tractor in the winter and will use it from time to time on the F6B for really long day runs.

"my sheepskin storey goes like this.....was doing a return trip across the USA on the Heritage one summer just using the stock leather seat.....after about five or six days on the road I started to develop a bad case of monkey butt....going through the Dakotas we stopped at Sturgis and I happened across the sheepskin mentioned above at one of the vendors displays. Not only did I immediately feel more comfortable sitting on the sheepskin but over the next two or three days the monkey butt healed up.......not hi tech but highly effective.

My .02

tink

bobbyf6b
05-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Sheepskin of your choice.....many of the suppliers have shaped sheepskin pads now with a gripping material on the back. I have an old one I used on the 88 Heritage for years.....use it on my Ford farm tractor in the winter and will use it from time to time on the F6B for really long day runs.

"my sheepskin storey goes like this.....was doing a return trip across the USA on the Heritage one summer just using the stock leather seat.....after about five or six days on the road I started to develop a bad case of monkey butt....going through the Dakotas we stopped at Sturgis and I happened across the sheepskin mentioned above at one of the vendors displays. Not only did I immediately feel more comfortable sitting on the sheepskin but over the next two or three days the monkey butt healed up.......not hi tech but highly effective.

My .02

tink

I had a two piece set on my old Street Glide and used the driver piece the first summer I had the F6B. (2013). I ended up selling the set to a buddy with an Ultra. I suffered all last summer but not this year. I'm going to try out the full pelt so it covers the entire seat. I can't wait!

flat6bagger
05-04-2015, 04:41 PM
I saw at one of the largest gold wing dealers for sales (Niehaus Cycle Litchfield,Il) they had full pelts on their trikes and several wings.
I did not check the price.
I need so many other things first.
I am using the bead rider until I get my other goodies bought.:icon_biggrin:

stevenolts
05-05-2015, 10:26 AM
I used a Harley Davidson mesh pad and it worked great on the Harley.
I have not needed it yet on the F6B (we are not sitting on the oil tank or head of the engine)
Also the F6B is water cooled.

Steve

hiflyer
05-07-2015, 12:01 AM
I used a Harley Davidson mesh pad and it worked great on the Harley.
I have not needed it yet on the F6B (we are not sitting on the oil tank or head of the engine)
Also the F6B is water cooled.

Steve

Mine is also an HD mesh pad. I heated up a piece of metal and x'ed out the HD. Really helps when temps go above 90, and I use it also to change pressure points on the old wazoo. The backrest matching mesh keeps me from having a round sweat spot on my back.

bobbyf6b
05-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Put the Alaska Leather full pelt on today. I'm happy with the pelt but disappointed in myself for kinda messing up my seat. There's three prongs on the front of the seat and the two small ones behind the gas door were in the way of sliding the front seat cover strap on and off. The seat cover is made to come off and on easy so you can bring it inside if you want. I trimmed those prongs back a little too far so now the front of the seat doesn't fit as tight as it did. It's really not a big deal since there's a big prong underneath holding the seat on. It's just one of those things you wish you could redo but can't. Oh well. If I could do it again I would trim the prongs a bit less and they would have been able to pop in and out by pulling on the nose of the seat.

Besides that the cover fits great. I like how it's shaped and the rear covers the side bars and bag latches. I wonder how it would look trimmed to the shape of the seat but I'm afraid to cut it. There's a strap under the nose, the rider area and the pillion area.

And remember, it's from an animal so it's not shaped perfect. Another thing I'll just have to live with. Damn OCD. :icon_doh:

Tell me what you think, and I'm happy to answer any questions about it. :icon_cool:

13782 13783 13784 13785 13786

bobbyf6b
05-08-2015, 01:14 PM
I wish they made them to fit with elastic or something. Then it could slip on and off and fit the shape of the seat better.

Ericb445
05-11-2015, 07:40 PM
I was looking at the sheep pelts.
I am not sure about them? Do they rub the paint? You know where the underside makes contact with body panels.

bobbyf6b
05-11-2015, 08:13 PM
I was looking at the sheep pelts.
I am not sure about them? Do they rub the paint? You know where the underside makes contact with body panels.

I'm not sure about rubbing the paint. Im not happy with the full pelt because of how it hangs over and it flops around in the air. Im exchanging it for two pieces.

srt8-in-largo
05-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Is there a butt pad that works and still looks cool?

Lol.

Serious question :icon_biggrin:

flat6bagger
05-11-2015, 09:26 PM
I lost the little flat hooks that used to hold my beaded seat cushion on to the seat.
The sad part is I can not find anywhere to buy them.

DaWadd
05-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Is there a butt pad that works and still looks cool?

Lol.

Serious question :icon_biggrin:

AirHawk.

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 08:27 AM
I found these hooks,but the gap on the hook is too wide.
Any of you guys have 4 of them that you will part with?/sell
I need them to run my elastic through and hook to the seat lip on the side.

hiflyer
05-12-2015, 08:40 AM
I lost the little flat hooks that used to hold my beaded seat cushion on to the seat.
The sad part is I can not find anywhere to buy them.

I just sit on my airhawk or my mesh, I don't want them attached in any way.

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 08:55 AM
The problem with that is the beaded seat cushion will fly off if I stand up.

six2go
05-12-2015, 09:18 AM
All day comfort, is about taking the pressure off of certain points of your posterior, at different intervals. That's why I have 3 options. I usually change up at gas stops. My key to long distance riding, is consistency. I seldom go longer than 120 miles between gas/bathroom stops, and I don't spend longer than 10 minutes at each stop. I also spend that time hydrating and stretching, then it's back on the bike. YMMV, this is only my routine, and the reason I usually ride by myself.WOW! I was getting ready to respond in this thread, but then I read this and it's exactly what I would have written. So +1 on this.:clap2: