PDA

View Full Version : DUI convictions just got more expensive in NC

Old Ryder
05-04-2015, 11:07 AM
http://www.wral.com/house-approves-insurance-requirement-for-mopeds/14613971/

More from our lawmakers. LOL :icon_razz:

jkelley
05-04-2015, 12:16 PM
It's about damn time. Those things are a menace.

If you use the roads you should have to pay your share of the taxes and fees for the use like everyone else does for cars and motorcycles.

That includes bicycles!

NCF6B
05-04-2015, 12:27 PM
It's about damn time. Those things are a menace.

If you use the roads you should have to pay your share of the taxes and fees for the use like everyone else does for cars and motorcycles.

That includes bicycles!
I agree, it doesn't, make me feel very safe knowing tha a person on a moped has no lic and no insurance and may be riding it because of a suspended or revoked lic for a DUI. If you are going to ride a motorized vehicle on a road, you should have to be insured and lic to do so.

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 02:09 PM
They don't mess around with this stuff in Florida either; $5,000 and an automatic one year license suspension for the 1st offense.

Old Ryder
05-04-2015, 02:24 PM
And they even got the nerve to wave at you like they are riding a new Ultra classic CVO. :lolup: I don't think it has been that many years ago they passed the law that you had to be at least 16 years old to have one. Then they passed the helmet law for them, also.

What really cracks me up, is that here in eastern NC they wear these custom painted full face Snell/DOT rated helmets like they are going for a new track record at Watkins Glenn as they bust down the highway at 30 mph, while the guys on Harleys are wanting to ride without helmets at 110 mph. It's a crazy world.

BIGLRY
05-04-2015, 03:27 PM
They don't mess around with this stuff in Florida either; $5,000 and an automatic one year license suspension for the 1st offense.
Hey, I heard that there is a saying in FL "Go there for the vacation, leave on probation" in reference to DWI on tourist?
Never been there and don't drink so not a problem for me....just curious if DWI tickets are as big of a "cash cow" like here in CA, $5K 1st offense is cheap here, it most likely will be closer to $10K once everything is said and done. Third DWI in CA. can be prison time 18 months state penitentiary. :301:

bigbird
05-04-2015, 03:51 PM

Yet it's perfectly legal in Florida to drink while you drive. As long as you're not over the legal limit, all is good.
How oxymoronic is that?

stroguy
05-04-2015, 04:23 PM
First offense without injury or injuring another should be harsh for fine and suspended license. Second offense is permanent revocation of your license. You have proven beyond any doubt you have ignored your responsibility and do not deserve the privilege.

Injure another person and its jail time and 10 years without a license.

Laws as I see it in stroguyland.

BIGLRY
05-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Yet it's perfectly legal in Florida to drink while you drive. As long as you're not over the legal limit, all is good.
How oxymoronic is that?:shock: No "open container" law in FL?????

No wonder you "snowbirds" are scared of all them gun toting, blue haired, gin drinking, 35 MPH freeway driving, old Floridians, they might shot his foot. :poke::icon_lol:

Steve 0080
05-04-2015, 05:32 PM
There is a "open container" law in FLA and No Bigbird you can not drive down the road and drink...I wish the fines were far higher...MAYBE some would slow down drinking and driving...

bigbird
05-04-2015, 06:39 PM
There is a "open container" law in FLA and No Bigbird you can not drive down the road and drink...I wish the fines were far higher...MAYBE some would slow down drinking and driving...

Then when I was last in FL in the winter of 2012 I saw a ridiculous number of people flagrantly breaking the law, drinking beer while driving.
Or has the law changed since my last visit?

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Hey, I heard that there is a saying in FL "Go there for the vacation, leave on probation" in reference to DWI on tourist?
Never been there and don't drink so not a problem for me....just curious if DWI tickets are as big of a "cash cow" like here in CA, $5K 1st offense is cheap here, it most likely will be closer to $10K once everything is said and done. Third DWI in CA. can be prison time 18 months state penitentiary. :301:

In my experience, here in FL, you gotta be looking for trouble to get schnoppered by law enforcement. They do have sobriety checkpoints on occasion but nothing that makes me grumble. And I see once again CA sets the standard for being expensive :icon_biggrin:

:shock: No "open container" law in FL?????

No wonder you "snowbirds" are scared of all them gun toting, blue haired, gin drinking, 35 MPH freeway driving, old Floridians, they might shot his foot. :poke::icon_lol:

:crackup:

Then when I was last in FL in the winter of 2012 I saw a ridiculous number of people flagrantly breaking the law, drinking beer while driving.
Or has the law changed since my last visit?

Sounds like you've observed the native redneck species :icon_biggrin:

I never drink in the car or on the bike... so I've had no occasion to learn what the open container laws are :shrug:

srt8-in-largo
05-04-2015, 10:58 PM
And they even got the nerve to wave at you like they are riding a new Ultra classic CVO. :lolup: I don't think it has been that many years ago they passed the law that you had to be at least 16 years old to have one. Then they passed the helmet law for them, also.

What really cracks me up, is that here in eastern NC they wear these custom painted full face Snell/DOT rated helmets like they are going for a new track record at Watkins Glenn as they bust down the highway at 30 mph, while the guys on Harleys are wanting to ride without helmets at 110 mph. It's a crazy world.

:icon_mrgreen:

There's nothing I can add that would make this a more entertaining post!

jkelley
05-05-2015, 06:11 AM
ON the news last night a drunk ( repeat offender I might add) hit the back of a Street Glide with two people on the bike. She was hurt, but apparently not bad. The rider got up and jumped on the hood of the drunk drivers car as he tried to leave the scene. They got the prick and locked him up but I wonder had the penalties been much harsher on his previous convictions would this have happened at all? Totally unacceptable in my mind.

srt8-in-largo
05-05-2015, 02:07 PM
So...... what do you guys think about "caning", like they do in Singapore?

If the caning is harsh enough, that would be a strong deterrent the idiots committing crimes and would also reduce our prison population thus saving money.

bigbird
05-05-2015, 04:07 PM
So...... what do you guys think about "caning", like they do in Singapore?

Now corporal punishment along with capital punishment?

The justice system makes errors all the time.
In Canada alone we have had at least 6 overturned murder convictions that would have brought the death penalty in parts of the US if those innocent people had been convicted there.

How would you feel if you were innocently caned?
Sorry, but we're living in the 21st century.

As an added bonus, I believe llfe should not cling to an arbitrary decision from a judge or jury.
I don't care how heinous the crime. Let them rot in prison amongst their own.

:stirthepot:

srt8-in-largo
05-05-2015, 07:37 PM
I think of corporal and capital punishment in terms of the greater good. Imperfection is a given and errors do occur and that's why a typical execution takes over a decade to happen; the justice system in any reasonable country should afford ALL possible grounds for appeals.

There are people who have shown such callousness and viciousness to their fellow mankind that they have given up the right to live amongst us. I don't think Jeffrey Dahmer, for instance, would have ever stopped killing and eating people. Rather than put a guy like this in therapy for the rest of his life and assume the risk of him committing another kill & eat, put him down and be done with it... for the greater good of the rest of us.

The century we're living in is not relevant to me; what's relevant to me is whether that society is civilized or barbaric... of which we've had both throughout all centuries. Some may view corporal punishment as barbaric... others may view the LACK of it as barbaric. I would SURELY not want to be wrongly caned... so... therefore I better behave and not even give the impression of impropriety. Does that not make us more civilized?

bigbird
05-05-2015, 08:23 PM
There are people who have shown such callousness and viciousness to their fellow mankind that they have given up the right to live amongst us.

I agree.
But unless the justice system is perfect 100% of the time, which it never has been nor will be, as it run by imperfect humans, the risk outweighs the reward.
Any idea why so many countries (and US states) have abolished the death penalty?

Limoles
05-05-2015, 10:59 PM
I agree.
But unless the justice system is perfect 100% of the time, which it never has been nor will be, as it run by imperfect humans, the risk outweighs the reward.
Any idea why so many countries (and US states) have abolished the death penalty?

That's the AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL pressure . American Justice System itself killed to many falsely accused and wrongfully convicted victims of crimes they never committed .

fl1madmax
05-08-2015, 11:16 AM
How oxymoronic is that?
we have a .8 and if you have even a empty open container, that's dry and full of sand, they can ARREST YOU !!!!!!! NO OPEN CONTAINERS IN FLORIDA WHILE DRIVING. , TRUST ME.

bigbird
05-08-2015, 12:01 PM
we have a .8 and if you have even a empty open container, that's dry and full of sand, they can ARREST YOU !!!!!!! NO OPEN CONTAINERS IN FLORIDA WHILE DRIVING. , TRUST ME.

As I asked another FL member, is this a new law since late 2011, or do too many idiots just drink beer and drive regardless of the law?

53driver
05-08-2015, 12:23 PM
As I asked another FL member, is this a new law since late 2011, or do too many idiots just drink beer and drive regardless of the law?

I reckon it's the latter......