PDA

View Full Version : How do you drive the speed limit on a F6B

stevenolts
05-06-2015, 11:35 AM
I normally have very little traffic and have to go the speed limit on my 45 mile commute to work at 5:00am. It kills me to hold it at 70mph which is the highest speed I can get away with without getting a ticket.

This morning was absolutely perfect weather to ride and I was a running a few minutes late so there were more cars on the road. More cars allows me to ride harder and at a much higher speed. I left a lead car out drawing cops in the left lane and stayed to the right and zoomed around cars as needed. There are four lanes across so I was continuously flipping around the cars to stay in stealth mode in the right hand lane.

I was in the zone, had the tunes blasting and was singing all the way to work. You have to concentrate so you don't loose your lead car (rabbit) or you will get a ticket. One lapse of concentration and you are the lead or cop bait.

Steve

bob109
05-06-2015, 11:53 AM
I normally have very little traffic and have to go the speed limit on my 45 mile commute to work at 5:00am. It kills me to hold it at 70mph which is the highest speed I can get away with without getting a ticket.

This morning was absolutely perfect weather to ride and I was a running a few minutes late so there were more cars on the road. More cars allows me to ride harder and at a much higher speed. I left a lead car out drawing cops in the left lane and stayed to the right and zoomed around cars as needed. There are four lanes across so I was continuously flipping around the cars to stay in stealth mode in the right hand lane.

I was in the zone, had the tunes blasting and was singing all the way to work. You have to concentrate so you don't loose your lead car (rabbit) or you will get a ticket. One lapse of concentration and you are the lead or cop bait.

Steve

Drive it Backwards:icon_lol:

DaWadd
05-06-2015, 12:25 PM
I've found myself over the limit quite a bit since owning this bike. 40 something years without a speeding ticket so I better watch myself more closely.:icon_doh:

GiddyupF6B
05-06-2015, 12:32 PM
I'm trying to find enough open road to see what the top speed is. I certainly can't afford a ticket for reckless driving but I just gotta know what this thing tops out at. I only need to see it once.....

Fla_rider
05-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Top Speed equals 124-125 mph. Computer cutout kicks in there. :shock: Not saying I went that fast Mr PO PO.

shooter
05-06-2015, 12:57 PM
In order for that to be an official disclaimer you have to call it. Although I have never been that fast I have heard that they will do it. I never exceed the speed limits. Promise

richw56
05-06-2015, 02:10 PM
The automatic speed limiter is disappointing, in that the bike clearly feels capable of doing more, and doing it rather comfortably, when you get up to the cutout level.
I don't know why our F6Bs hit the automatic cutout at lower speeds than sport bikes - the F6Bs handle very well at the cutout speed level.
Umm, at least that's what I hear...:icon_wink:

jkelley
05-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Just because you have a "lead car" doesn't mean you wont be the one stopped.
Depends on the officer and his choice.

stevenolts
05-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Yes, I know!!!

I probably was not very smart this morning and my lead car was an ambulance for a short time.
I was just having fun / my new definition of the word fun is F6B.

I think that is what sets it apart from the others, it is really just the most fun bike I have ridden.
Steve

GNW
05-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Slow down and smell the roses.
I guess for me getting a little older (and smarter, I guess), and having motorcycled for over 57 years has slowed me down.
Back when 55 was the limit I was doing 85 and 90 on Kawa Voyager 1300's.
One time I almost lost my job over too many tickets.
Motorcycled all but 3 states in the US hurriedly and now just trying to remember what I saw at speed.
Now, I slow down and smell the roses. Memory coming back too.

53driver
05-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Crank the suspension to "Max Firm" and with more road feel, your backside monitors the speed for you.

shooter
05-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Generally bikes are hard to get a good reading on with radar. My town has one of the boxes that tells you what speed you are driving. In the truck it picks me up way out. On the bike about 50 ft before it gives an accurate reading. Less frontal area.

flat6bagger
05-06-2015, 03:36 PM
I bought this bike to slow down,so for me it is as easy as looking around at the beautiful things that I used to miss.
With my V Star I had to ride hard to keep up with the touring bikes in our group.
I felt like although we were on mostly back roads,I still was always pushing hard and not enjoying anything.
Now it is slow and relaxing the way it should be.

GiddyupF6B
05-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Top Speed equals 124-125 mph. Computer cutout kicks in there. :shock: Not saying I went that fast Mr PO PO.

My rev limiter has been raised in each gear and my top speed limiter has been removed....mine will go much faster than 125 mph now...I just need to see how much more. In the 140's I'm guessing.

ff73148
05-06-2015, 07:10 PM
In New Jersey everyone drives above the speed limit.

Ericb445
05-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I have received one speeding ticket and several written warnings, until I bought an Adaptiv TPX radar detector it has helped me slow down a bit.

http://www.adaptivtechnologies.com/gear/tpx-radar-detector

seadog
05-06-2015, 07:32 PM
In order for that to be an official disclaimer you have to call it. Although I have never been that fast I have heard that they will do it. I never exceed the speed limits. Promise

President of the liars club, way to go shooter keep them guessing

srt8-in-largo
05-06-2015, 08:41 PM
I hear ya Steve... it's hard to keep such a great riding bike contained.

srt8-in-largo
05-06-2015, 08:51 PM
My rev limiter has been raised in each gear

Why would you do this?

You may actually be hurting performance; the bike loses steam pretty quickly in the upper RPMs. On the OEM setup, you'll shift at about 6500... the engine will drop to about 4500... run it back up to 6500... repeat. The bike already shifts exactly where it should relative to the location of peak hp.

Now... if you did some breather mods that increases high RPM efficiency, THEN increased rev limits may buy ya something. This would need something more than a filter though... port, polish, and valve job.

Dyno courtesy of Nedro; I believe this is a stock Goldwing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RyzWqnwzmX0/VRYAwy1hrcI/AAAAAAAACj8/0svsF5LLYMo/s800/Dyno%2520-%2520GL1800-%2520Nedro-GL1800riders.jpg

GiddyupF6B
05-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Why would you do this?

You may actually be hurting performance; the bike loses steam pretty quickly in the upper RPMs. On the OEM setup, you'll shift at about 6500... the engine will drop to about 4500... run it back up to 6500... repeat. The bike already shifts exactly where it should relative to the location of peak hp.

Now... if you did some breather mods that increases high RPM efficiency, THEN increased rev limits may buy ya something. This would need something more than a filter though... port, polish, and valve job.

Dyno courtesy of Nedro; I believe this is a stock Goldwing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RyzWqnwzmX0/VRYAwy1hrcI/AAAAAAAACj8/0svsF5LLYMo/s800/Dyno%2520-%2520GL1800-%2520Nedro-GL1800riders.jpg
Don Guhl of Guhl racing knows much more about motorcycle engines than I ever will. He said this was an ideal performance upgrade reflash for my bike with exhaust and a K&N. That's why I let him do it....the bike is a different animal with his tune so I'm not questioning him.....

srt8-in-largo
05-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Don Guhl of Guhl racing knows much more about motorcycle engines than I ever will. He said this was an ideal performance upgrade reflash for my bike with exhaust and a K&N. That's why I let him do it....the bike is a different animal with his tune so I'm not questioning him.....

Gotcha :yes:

Yeah I've heard nothing but good about Guhl.. so it's hard to question what he says.

How much are your limits raised? You may already know that the forces exerted on internal engine parts increases exponentially with RPM; I think the parts that are most impacted are the journals, bearings, and pins around the crankshaft and rods.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer... just throwing some conversation out there to help you care for your bike and maybe help you weigh the trade-off of any benefits of higher RPMs vs. potential increased wear.

GiddyupF6B
05-06-2015, 10:12 PM
Gotcha :yes:

Yeah I've heard nothing but good about Guhl.. so it's hard to question what he says.

How much are your limits raised? You may already know that the forces exerted on internal engine parts increases exponentially with RPM; I think the parts that are most impacted are the journals, bearings, and pins around the crankshaft and rods.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer... just throwing some conversation out there to help you care for your bike and maybe help you weigh the trade-off of any benefits of higher RPMs vs. potential increased wear.

Limits were raised 400 rpm each gear. I don't redline the bike habitually so the raised limit for me is a moot point. Where it should help is fifth gear I would think with the speed limiter also being removed. I will top it out and post what top speed was and what the rpm's were.

Steve 0080
05-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Not against it... but for whatever reason I have not seen the speedo stop moving...on every other vehicle I have owned I have noticed the speedo stop moving...just old I guess...I do have a heart condition...

Bryster
05-07-2015, 12:30 AM

I'll take that as knowledge then, don't feel like writing myself an infringement.... :icon_wink:

grendl
05-09-2015, 10:44 AM

Steve
I know the feeling. This bike seems to just want to cruise at about 80-85 mph without me trying. We have a toll road and our highways that I use sometimes with the speed limit at 75 so I hope I can get away with the bikes comfort speed. 80 probably, 85 maybe not so much.
I still have my 96 Hurricane which satisfies my urges for warp speed but since I've had the F6,those urges have occurred less. At 65 years old probably for the best..