PDA

View Full Version : WIP Harley King Tour Pak Install

ths61
05-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery. I would like to thank all of you that have posted your ideas and tour pak installs. I have gotten many ideas from your efforts and they have been shamelessly copied here.

Here is a start of a WIP (Work In Progress) HD King Tour Pak install. After reading many threads, studying your posted pictures, considering various options and examining the tour pak that I bought, I decided to try the following.

My tour pak has tomb stone shaped recession on the bottom that backs up against the internal steel plate. The recession was also filled with ridges in the ABS for various HD tube mounts which would prevent a plate from being flush mounted. I considered hacking down one of the HD mounts but decided against it.

To utilize a matching tomb stone shaped flush mounting plate, I needed to get rid of the various ABS ridges. Here is a shot after I have shaved the ridges off.

I measured the depth of the recession and then bought a piece of 7075 1/4" Aircraft aluminum. I replicated the radius-ed corners of the recession onto the aluminum plate. I used a sawsall for the rough cuts and finished up the radius with a grinding wheel. I then used the grinding wheel and orbital sander to round all of the edges. Sorry, no CNC toys. :icon_frown:

I then shot a coat of primer on the bottom of the tour pack and gave it a test fit. The plate sits flush in the recession and is pretty much level with the non-recessed bottom of the tour pak.

I have to wait for the wifey to finalize the how far back the mounting holes will be made. After a quick dry fit, I anticipate they will be around the front/back middle of the plate.

Note: I did not extend the plate over the non-recessed portion of the tour pak because the steel plate inside is not tight against this portion of the trunk, thus would only serve as a shelf and not a bolting surface. Also, the HD hardware does not cover these areas either.

With this configuration, the top steel plate, ABS bottom and aluminum plate are all tightly sandwiched against each other. This means I can bolt from the inside of the trunk sandwiching all 3 layers (and not just the aluminum plate). I will probably oversize the ABS holes and insert a washer in the over-sized ABS hole so not to stress the ABS when cranking the sandwich down. The sandwich will then be steel plate, washer, aluminum plate versus steel plate, ABS, aluminum plate.

I am also considering placing rubber bushings inside of the standoff legs so they stay on the bolts and make it easier to install/remove the tour pak with a single person.

hiflyer
05-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery. I would like to thank all of you that have posted your ideas and tour pak installs. I have gotten many ideas from your efforts and they have been shamelessly copied here.

Like the rest of us, you had to design your own mount. You are spot on, looking good. I still can't believe that no one markets a great looking, detachable trunk for this bike. Keep us posted! FWIW, I put mine on and take it off by myself too.

sksfox
05-06-2015, 08:45 PM
I am manufacturing a custom tour pack.
After seeing the one u put on some time back I decided to make my owm.
Using pretty much the same mounting as mentioned in this post, the sandwich method.
Prices range from $500.00 to $ 1000.00 dependig on paint, back rest,liner,latches hinges,and mounting hardware.
Like the rest of us, you had to design your own mount. You are spot on, looking good. I still can't believe that no one markets a great looking, detachable trunk for this bike. Keep us posted! FWIW, I put mine on and take it off by myself too.

sksfox
05-06-2015, 08:56 PM
After seeing the one HD done by HIFLYER decided to make my owm.
Using pretty much the same mounting as mentioned in a post, the sandwich method.2 steel plates and billett aluminum standoffs.
Prices range from $500.00 to $ 1000.00 dependig on paint, back rest,liner,latches, hinges,and mounting hardware(It can be painted to color match)

srt8-in-largo
05-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Whoa... looking good T; way to improvise and make that plate.

Maybe at some point you'll show us that gap... and what you didn't like about the latches?

SKS, nice work! Any thoughts of doing a full size trunk?

hiflyer
05-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Using pretty much the same mounting as mentioned in a post, the sandwich method.2 steel plates and billett aluminum standoffs.
Prices range from $500.00 to $ 1000.00 dependig on paint, back rest,liner,latches, hinges,and mounting hardware(It can be painted to color match)

Bravo!!!:clap2::yes:

ths61
05-07-2015, 01:11 AM

Maybe at some point you'll show us that gap... and what you didn't like about the latches?

Got the measurement with the wifey on the bike, made the the standoffs, drilled the plate, bought some longer M8-1.25 pitch metric bolts, mounted the trunk and took it for a late test ride. Still need to paint the mounting hardware (may lower it by 1/8" to 1/4" yet, standoffs are currently 1" and 1.5"). Also have to add/wire the running/turn/brake LED lights.

I will post more pictures in this thread including the gap and the latches.

As for the weather stripping, I discovered I had some leftover plastic garden drip-line that is @ the same diameter as the inside of the weather stripping, so, I gave the weather stripping a "catheter" to fatten it up. Sprayed some WD-40 inside the weather stripping and was able to thread the plastic drip-line inside. The weather stripping was too long to "push the rope" in one piece, so I did half from one end and the other half from the other end. This improved the trunk seal and rattle, but the lid still has a slight shift when closed and leaned back on by the passenger. I am going to try lining the lip of the bottom tray with automotive door edge molding to see if that addresses the shift (descent latches would fix this).

I think I can improve the latches somewhat by thinning the underlying shims, else I will be looking for different locking latches.

ths61
05-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Here is the gap on the side of the armrests (without any modifications):

Here is how you can pull the latch apart / defeat the latch:

Here is a side view of the install:

The trunk can be lowered another 1/4" before touching the back of the seat.

Jimmytee
05-07-2015, 04:29 PM

SKS, nice work! Any thoughts of doing a full size trunk?

Yeah , ditto that. I like the looks of the pizza box, but if I'm gonna put something on there with the idea of on and off at a whim , then I think I'd want more useful space when the mood struck me that I needed the trunk.

stevenolts
05-08-2015, 01:57 PM
SKS fox

Is it possible you could make some saddle bag covers for the F6B that actually allow them to hold a full face helmet? They just need to be slightly larger and then I would not need my tour pack all the time.

The F6B looks better without the tour pack. If only I could get it to hold my Scorpion EXO-900 without forcing the lid closed. (It is so close as it is now)

Steve

hiflyer
05-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Lookin' good! I wouldn't let it touch the seat. Mine is also about a 1/4" above it too.

srt8-in-largo
05-08-2015, 07:10 PM

Here is how you can pull the latch apart / defeat the latch:

Thanks for that! :yes::yes:

ths61
05-11-2015, 12:00 AM
I took my wife for a test ride and she said the tour pak backrest was not as comfortable as the former Vision's backrest.

I had a used Utopia backrest laying around and took the pad off of the stalk. I turned the pad upside down so the wide part was on top and the narrower part was on the bottom. I inserted this on the front of the base of the tour pak (and below the tour pak's backrest) as a lumbar support and took the wifey for another test ride. With this mod, she said it was as comfortable as the Vision's backrest and was surprised it worked as well as it did. Happy wife, happy life. :icon_wink:

It is a little tall (because it is wedged into the seat for the test), so I will trim about an 1" from the bottom and then bolt it into the base of the tour pak using the same bolts used to bolt it into the original stalk. Once the lid is closed, the upper and lower pads are contiguous.

Next will be to add running, turn, hazard and brake lights and maybe speaker pods.

Paulsperling
06-09-2015, 06:09 AM
After seeing the one u put on some time back I decided to make my owm.
Using pretty much the same mounting as mentioned in this post, the sandwich method.
Prices range from $500.00 to $ 1000.00 dependig on paint, back rest,liner,latches hinges,and mounting hardware.

Would love to order one,you could contact me via email at paulsperling123@yahoo.com with your contact info thank you

flat6bagger
06-09-2015, 06:15 AM
The work is superb.
No doubt about that.
I just don't understand why people do this to a F6B.
If all you guys want tour packs on these,why didn't you just buy a Gold Wing?
The uniqueness of this motorcycle is that it doesn't have all the extra stuff a Wing has.
Sort of defeats the purpose of a F6B doesn't it?

Go ahead.
Start attacking.:icon_biggrin:

Doug

jm21ddd15
06-09-2015, 06:33 AM
The work is superb.
No doubt about that.
The uniqueness of this motorcycle is that it doesn't have all the extra stuff a Wing has.

Go ahead.

Doug

+1 I was thinking the same thing. I guess they can attack me too. :shrug:

Steve 0080
06-09-2015, 08:24 AM
The work is superb.
No doubt about that.

Go ahead.

Doug

Don't think anyone will attack....but most/all of us have passengers at one time or other...it's nice to have them along and they need a place for their stuff and want to feel safe while riding...

srt8-in-largo
06-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Exactly what Steve said. Just THINK about it for a moment and the reason is crystal.

Why do people buy the F6 instead of the full Wing? For exactly the same reasons you did; preferred styling, preferred dynamics, lower price, etc.

However, make no bones about it fella's; this is STILL a fully capable long distance bike. For those times that you want to burn 1,000 miles, it's entirely sensible and feasible to want a trunk. Why would you NOT want one for the long trips and then detach it when back in town and have the sportiness back. Does this somehow change the reasons why you wanted the 6... of course not.

flat6bagger
06-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Exactly what Steve said. Just THINK about it for a moment and the reason is crystal.

Why do people buy the F6 instead of the full Wing? For exactly the same reasons you did; preferred styling, preferred dynamics, lower price, etc.

However, make no bones about it fella's; this is STILL a fully capable long distance bike. For those times that you want to burn 1,000 miles, it's entirely sensible and feasible to want a trunk. Why would you NOT want one for the long trips and then detach it when back in town and have the sportiness back. Does this somehow change the reasons why you wanted the 6... of course not.

100% TOTALLY Disagree.
I can burn up 1,000 miles without a trunk even with a passenger.
I don't want a trunk..EVER.
Again, this is another example of accessorizing a F6B to the point that it is no different than a standard Gold Wing.

Doug

ghostrider
06-09-2015, 09:30 AM

:yes: Couldn't of said it better.

ghostrider
06-09-2015, 09:37 AM
100% TOTALLY Disagree.
Again, this is another example of accessorizing a F6B to the point that it is no different than a standard Gold Wing.

Doug

I don't think being able to add a little comfort for your passenger plus some extra space when you are on a road trip is a bad thing.

flat6bagger
06-09-2015, 09:45 AM
No it is not a bad thing,but I didn't buy the 6 for passenger comfort.
I bought it for ME and at times someone to be a passenger.

Doug

jm21ddd15
06-09-2015, 09:57 AM

Doug

+1 I'm still with you flat6bagger. I just did over 2000 miles to the Ozzarks, and no trunk needed. However, I ride solo, which makes a difference. I did like the looks of that one called a Pizza Box. I absolutely could not ever, put any HD part on my F6. That only gives the HD crowd another reason to say, Should have bought a Harley. :nono:

srt8-in-largo
06-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Small thinking here guys.

To apply your own individual preference in a way that muddies your perspective, to the point of not being able to understand a general concept is, frankly, a limited thought process.

Ride your bike and be happy, but if others are doing mods that you don't "get", then don't knock it until you do.

flat6bagger
06-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Don't misconstrue what I am saying.
What I am saying is by installing a trunk you are taking away the very reason a F6B is built the way it is.
It was intentionally designed NOT to have a trunk and NOT to be just another gold Wing.
I think the OP has done and awesome job by the way and I congratulate him on the job he did.

Doug

jm21ddd15
06-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Same thinking. I said the Pizza Box was a good looking design. I also think the F6 was built without a trunk for a reason. Otherwise, Honda would already be selling an accessory trunk. I don't have any problem with anyone doing whatever they want on their Ride. Just sayin.:icon_biggrin:

ths61
06-09-2015, 10:36 AM
The work is superb.
No doubt about that.

Go ahead.

Doug

One word, "wifey".

If I was riding solo, there would be no tour pak. She does not like the speed bump OEM backrest, even with the riser. She feels like she is going to fall off the back.

As for Honda offering a detachable tour pak option, I would assume their business guys would think it would cut into the full Goldwing sales and nix the idea.

flat6bagger
06-09-2015, 11:34 AM
One word, "wifey".

If I was riding solo, there would be no tour pak. She does not like the speed bump OEM backrest, even with the riser. She feels like she is going to fall off the back.

As for Honda offering a detachable tour pak option, I would assume their business guys would think it would cut into the full Goldwing sales and nix the idea.

Totally understand.
A happy wife makes for a happy ride.

Doug

srt8-in-largo
06-09-2015, 01:41 PM
For a minute there I just didn't understand on what you guys disagreed with. Sure the 6 was created without a trunk... but how can someone else's desire and decision to use one be "disagreed" with. :shrug:

flat6bagger
06-09-2015, 01:53 PM
For a minute there I just didn't understand on what you guys disagreed with. Sure the 6 was created without a trunk... but how can someone else's desire and decision to use one be "disagreed" with. :shrug:

It can't.:icon_lol:

Doug

JackB
06-10-2015, 08:52 AM

Your bike looks like it was a Goldwing converted to a F6B.

hiflyer
06-10-2015, 09:09 AM
What I am saying is by installing a trunk you are taking away the very reason a F6B is built the way it is.
It was intentionally designed NOT to have a trunk and NOT to be just another gold Wing.
I think the OP has done and awesome job by the way and I congratulate him on the job he did.

Doug

If you think my bike looks like just another gold wing with my chopped trunk installed, I'd have to say you're wrong. However, I could also say that any F6 with a big old windshield like you have looks like just another gold wing, it sure as heck DID NOT come with a big old sail on the front, or a trunk on the back. It's all about options man! And I got 'em.

flat6bagger
06-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Sail on the front?
That's funny.
Mine is only 13" from the top of the fairing.
It is no where near a sail.
If you lived up here in the Midwest farm lands you would understand that it is a necessity,not just another option.
If I didn't have pheasants,grasshoppers,quail,bugs,bees,other types of birds,deer,coyote,etc. constantly hitting my windshield or walking out in front of me,I would still have the short windshield on.
I could care less actually what another guy does.
I was just stating that putting trunks on a F6B for any reason makes these bikes almost no different than a stock Gold Wing.
I am not going to change my opinion any more than I expect anyone else to change theirs.

Doug

stevenolts
06-10-2015, 10:25 AM
I think that all of us prefer to have no trunk. But since Honda decided not to add the other inch to the saddlebag covers that are needed to house a full face helmet without damaging the lid you may need a trunk.

My question is has anyone found a way to get their trunk to be quick detach or quick removal? How did you mount it? If you did get it to work how does the bike look with the trunk removed? Is there any mounting hardware left after removal?

I have my trunk mounted but it was such a pain to get it mounted for my trip 8 weeks ago that I have never removed it.

stevenolts
06-10-2015, 11:01 AM
I think I am going to re-do the way my tour pack is mounted. I used the show chrome luggage rack with a (dark grey almost black) nylon cutting board from target. I put bolts with washers through from the bottom up / through the cutting board / through the luggage rack / through the tour pack / with washers and nuts inside the bottom of the tour pack.

This works but was a pain in the ass to install. I would hate to remove and then re-install. It is not what I call quick detachable in the ease of use sense of the words. Maybe if I relocate the holes in the tour pack. I used the holes that were already in the tour pack. It is a Hard Leather Harley Davidson tour pack from my Fatboy. I know this is a problem for some of you. But the tour pack was expensive and it works very well. I prefer the leather covered tour pack because it looks good on the bike and doesn't scratch.

I need advice on how to do this better / more quick detach and re-attach.
Steve

ths61
06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
... a big old sail on the front, ...

I need advice on how to do this better / more quick detach and re-attach.
Steve

My install and others just use the 4 bolt holes that the luggage rack would bolt to. Remove the 4 shorter bolts and backrest and install tour pak with 4 longer bolts. Reverse process to remove.

flat6bagger
06-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Agreed..

Doug

hiflyer
06-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Sail on the front?
That's funny.
If you lived up here in the Midwest farm lands you would understand that it is a necessity,not just another option.
If I didn't have pheasants,grasshoppers,quail,bugs,bees,other types of birds,deer,coyote,etc. constantly hitting my windshield or walking out in front of me,I would still have the short windshield on.
I was just stating that putting trunks on a F6B for any reason makes these bikes almost no different than a stock Gold Wing.
I am not going to change my opinion any more than I expect anyone else to change theirs.

Doug

I respect your opinion Doug, and at the same time, I'm one of those guys that do what I want and couldn't care less what others think, just like you.Truth be known, I didn't buy this bike because it didn't look like a full wing, and there's nothing wrong with the look of the full wing.

flat6bagger
06-10-2015, 11:18 AM
I respect your opinion Doug, and at the same time, I'm one of those guys that do what I want and couldn't care less what others think, just like you.Truth be known, I didn't buy this bike because it didn't look like a full wing, and there's nothing wrong with the look of the full wing.

hiflyer,
I agree with that statement 100%.
No harm,no foul.
ride safe

Doug

wjduke
06-10-2015, 11:41 AM
The work is superb.
No doubt about that.

Go ahead.

Doug
Ditto me too...there flat6, I finally agree with you.

bobbyf6b
06-10-2015, 11:42 AM
This is another reason I love the F6B. It's a blank canvas.

srt8-in-largo
06-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Your bike looks like it was a Goldwing converted to a F6B.

It is a Goldwing, and not an F6B.

Sail on the front?
That's funny.

Doug

Why are you continuing to troll this thread?? Nobody is asking for why you think a trunk doesn't belong!

Sheesh.

flat6bagger
06-10-2015, 02:01 PM
I don't appreciate you referring to me as a Troll.
You have been on a forum long enough to know calling someone a Troll is totally disrespecting them on a forum.
When someone comments negatively to me I am going to respond.
If you don't like my posts,ignore me.
Don't think you can just post anything to me and not expect me to react.

Doug

srt8-in-largo
06-10-2015, 03:13 PM
This thread is about installing a Tourpak, ya frickin idget!

You have SEVERAL posts that are REPEATING your opinion that the 6 should not have a trunk. NO ONE CARES!!!!!!

Do you have something to contribute that's helpful and on topic?? No. YOU'RE TROLLING.

Go ahead.

Doug

100% TOTALLY Disagree.

Doug

Doug

Doug

Doug

seadog
06-10-2015, 03:27 PM
100% TOTALLY Disagree.

Doug

I might add a strap down ad on like the Ogio or a Gran touring bag that can be taken off but I bought the bike for the look not because I thought about adding a trunk later on. As a matter of fact I don't even have a passenger so I guess I will have to get the T shirt that says "IF YOU CAN READ THIS THE BITCH FELL OFF"

KennyGLVTX
06-10-2015, 03:48 PM
:popcorn:'popcorn and coke'

flat6bagger
06-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Not pissed off at all about what someone does to their motorcycle or doesn't do.
I am pissed because I don't appreciate someone calling me names when they are not in front of my face.
I think it is time for me to go from this forum.
Have a good one,ride safe and all be well.

out,
Doug

Steve 0080
06-11-2015, 07:45 AM
This is a violation of the #1 rule.... we DO NOT speak ill of someone's bike, wife or child.....If there is a thread that one does not agree with then move along, and read something else. If you wish you can state your opinion and be done with it.

I have sent private messages to a couple folks and will state again to ...be nice!

If I had more time this morning I would go into this is more detail...have to meet another rider for breakfast...

shooter
06-12-2015, 07:11 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. Sometimes you buy something with a purpose in mind and then your needs change. If I had a quick detach trunk available to me I would probably own one. Even if it was only once a year. I have a nice Givi trunk and I'm trying to come up with a way to mount it to my showchrome rack. I don't want to ruin the rack. I have a couple ideas. I already had the trunk. I'm wanting to ride to Cincy this fall for four or five days. I may just buy a piece of Kury luggage. Its all about versatility. George and Doug , you guys need to bury the hatchet. You are both great guys and knowledgeable to boot. We need both of you on the forum but not at each others throat. C'mon guys. You have to accept that not everyone thinks alike. We can disagree and still be friends. I count both you guys as forum friends. I'll get off my soapbox now.

srt8-in-largo
06-13-2015, 01:15 AM
Ok. I'm glad Steve didn't have more time :icon_mrgreen:

Paulsperling
06-15-2015, 06:04 AM

Please contact me by email(paulsperling123@yahoo.com) or 315-240-0740. Thank you

stevenolts
06-15-2015, 07:47 AM
Shooter,

Let me know when your headed to Cincinnati. I grew up there and was planning to go this fall for a long weekend.
Maybe we could ride together. I live in Ofallon, MO and I lived in Anderson when in Cincinnati.
Steve

velvethammer
06-16-2015, 10:50 AM
The work is superb.
No doubt about that.

Go ahead.

Doug

cause they only want occasionally....most times they want to drive it without.....

shooter
06-17-2015, 10:06 PM
Shooter,

Let me know when your headed to Cincinnati. I grew up there and was planning to go this fall for a long weekend.
Maybe we could ride together. I live in Ofallon, MO and I lived in Anderson when in Cincinnati.
Steve

My son lives in Amelia. We are going out for the fourth and hopefully the weather cooperates. Hoping to cross the ferry into Kentucky and go through Amish country and down into Rabbit Hash. Its a great ride. A "peg dragger" for sure. I'm sure we will go back this fall.

Jimmytee
06-17-2015, 10:15 PM
My son lives in Amelia. We are going out for the fourth and hopefully the weather cooperates. Hoping to cross the ferry into Kentucky and go through Amish country and down into Rabbit Hash. Its a great ride. A "peg dragger" for sure. I'm sure we will go back this fall.

Rabbit Hash, that's right next to Big Bone Lick and Beaver Lick, KY.. No kidding.:icon_wink: