PDA

View Full Version : New Google Maps?

CarolinaRider
05-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Does anyone see the benefit to the new Google maps?

srt8-in-largo
05-06-2015, 08:34 PM
What choo mean Willis? What's different?

luckyluciano
05-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Isn't WAZE better?

wildrooster
05-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Waze is owned by Google and has been used in Google maps for a while. I get alerts every time I ride

stevenolts
05-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Is Waze a traffic and police radar alert? I think my daughter had me put that on my phone a while back / but I never used it yet.

How do you set it up? Do I need to download a new app for my cellphone that includes Waze with Google maps? Or is it an updated version of Google Maps?

Steve

wildrooster
05-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Parts have already been introduced to the maps app and eventually the rest will be. But as of right now they are still two different apps. As long as users continue to update waze the information it provides is current but for more than a few times its been too inaccurate at least where I have been driving

CarolinaRider
05-07-2015, 03:05 PM
What choo mean Willis? What's different?

The old Google map was referred to as classic and they have recently forced you to use their updated, new (doesnt mean improved) version. Maybe this old dog needs to learn a new trick is all but the new version seems more complicated. I like simple and reliable.

luckyluciano
05-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Just use WAZE. Forget the rest. Identifies radar, shouldered vehicles, traffic, red light cameras, voice activated and more. Super easy to use. Just download the free app.

srt8-in-largo
05-07-2015, 09:10 PM
The old Google map was referred to as classic and they have recently forced you to use their updated, new (doesnt mean improved) version. Maybe this old dog needs to learn a new trick is all but the new version seems more complicated. I like simple and reliable.

Gotcha. Google has put some AWESOME stuff out there and I couldn't imagine life without them... but they have also made some real bone headed moves. I understand you perfectly.

typhoon186
05-08-2015, 10:27 AM
I just started using Waze this week. It provides good navigation and has some good features. The alerts are helpful but don't bet your license on them. The alerts depend on other users to update the information while driving.

On another note: MapQuest has a good feature many people may not be aware of that I really like. You know how Google Maps or Waze will navigate you to your destination by either fastest route or shorted distance. But they don't offer you the most fun route or best scenic view. If you go to MapQuest on your computer and put in your starting point and destination, you can then drag your route to different areas on the map to take you to the roads you really want to ride (it's like waypoints). Then send the link to your smart phone and it will navigate you on that custom route. I find that feature very useful.

53driver
05-08-2015, 10:40 AM
On another note: MapQuest has a good feature many people may not be aware of that I really like. You know how Google Maps or Waze will navigate you to your destination by either fastest route or shorted distance. But they don't offer you the most fun route or best scenic view. If you go to MapQuest on your computer and put in your starting point and destination, you can then drag your route to different areas on the map to take you to the roads you really want to ride (it's like waypoints). Then send the link to your smart phone and it will navigate you on that custom route. I find that feature very useful.

That's cool!

Steve 0080
05-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I use a Zumo and a Iphone... my last long trip the phone route was a hour longer than the Zumo...I use it as a backup but not my main GPS !!!

stevenolts
05-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Mapquest!!!

That is nice, last year I went for an 8 hour ride one way stayed overnight and then 8 hours the next day home without leaving Missouri and I never rode on the highway. Google maps would not let me do that. I could plot the course out by moving points and then print the map. But I could not get it to stay in my phone. It always wanted the start and end points and would fix the course to the fastest path.

Cool I love this, I like to stay off the highway sometimes.

Steve

luckyluciano
05-08-2015, 08:54 PM
How do you mean Steve? Does mapquest give you waypoints on your iPhone or not? I'm confused.

wildrooster
05-09-2015, 12:01 PM
I am in the same boat sometimes I like to just backroad it all the way in. I have set my GPS up to do that and I have been places I normally wouldn't have been. You can set it up for back roads on Google maps but since I normally keep my phone on my side it's only good for music as I ride

typhoon186
05-11-2015, 08:24 AM
How do you mean Steve? Does mapquest give you waypoints on your iPhone or not? I'm confused.

If you go to MapQuest on your computer and put in your starting point and destination, you can then drag your route to different areas on the map to take you to the roads you really want to ride (it's like waypoints). Then send the link to your smart phone and it will navigate you on that custom route.

srt8-in-largo
05-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Nice concept... but execution gets a grade of "C". I just tried using this Mapquest drag-route-to-change feature and it's a bit of a mess.

cwjj2001
05-11-2015, 01:27 PM
I use a Zumo and a Iphone... my last long trip the phone route was a hour longer than the Zumo...I use it as a backup but not my main GPS !!!

Hey Steve did you end on a dead end road or in some water on that trip?...lol My fellow Smokey Riders know what I'm talking about!!!