PDA

View Full Version : Not preaching...just think about it

wjduke
05-07-2015, 10:02 AM
My helmet after a 35 mph hit...just saying, I'll never ride without.
WARWICK, R.I. -
The North Providence man who was injured in a motorcycle accident in Warwick has died from his injuries.

Arthur Pelliccia, 57, was transported to Rhode Island Hospital following the single vehicle crash on Monday.

The police said an investigation showed Pelliccia was traveling south on Greenwich Ave. in the area of Vancouuver Ave. before making a u-turn and then accelerating northbound.

The cyclist lost control of his bike on Greenwich Ave. just north of the Church of Christ and flipped over before coming to rest.

Pelliccia was thrown from his motorcycle. It did not appear that he was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.

Ixol Phaane
05-07-2015, 12:19 PM
:yes: +1
Wisdom is beyond price. Be thankful that you have it.

shooter
05-07-2015, 01:44 PM
+2 You're a smart man Duke. Experience always rises to the top. We had a guy on our 9 site that went down coming out of a parking lot with severe head trauma. He was lucky to live and lucky that he has quality of life. When I go see my son in Cincy it seems nobody wears a helmet out there. Strange. Ride safe boys.

wjduke
05-07-2015, 02:07 PM
+2 You're a smart man Duke. Experience always rises to the top. We had a guy on our 9 site that went down coming out of a parking lot with severe head trauma. He was lucky to live and lucky that he has quality of life. When I go see my son in Cincy it seems nobody wears a helmet out there. Strange. Ride safe boys.
Familiar with who you're talking about. We actually chatted about an issue I was having...the puke thing. He called me, nice guy and very lucky. I'm all about freedom. Massachusetts is the only state up here with the helmet law. All around us don't have one. It's very tempting not to, trust me, but I learned in a way I hope no one else will.

tinknocker
05-07-2015, 09:25 PM
I live in a small town and am guilty of not wearing my helmet for a quick putt tho the store or something but if I am out doing some more serious riding I always wear mine even in the great state of Ohio which doesn't have a helmet law

vstar09
05-07-2015, 10:17 PM
:yes:

Bryster
05-08-2015, 02:23 AM
I'll chime in here, over here in Oz it's compulsory to wear a helmet, no if's or but's, but the accidents I've attended on the job has certainly shaken my ability to wear -just- a shirt and no jacket. And those souls who put their helmet on but just can't be buggered doing them up, I can tell you now with the impact from a head on the helmet flies off and leaves you unprotected if you clear the object.

Personally when I was younger and stupider I had a bad accident, my fault, and I flew over the bike, the impact on the BMW system 6 was enough to crack my skull and I still have a ridge in the dome from that, used to keep the helmet as a reminder... but now after seeing so many accidents on the job, I chucked it out.

Modular or 3/4's are the go (ones that come round the cheek) are important.

But hey, you make your choices..... If you get to be old, you can lecture! :301: Doesn't mean anyone listens.

wjduke
05-08-2015, 04:28 AM
I'll chime in here, over here in Oz it's compulsory to wear a helmet, no if's or but's, but the accidents I've attended on the job has certainly shaken my ability to wear -just- a shirt and no jacket. And those souls who put their helmet on but just can't be buggered doing them up, I can tell you now with the impact from a head on the helmet flies off and leaves you unprotected if you clear the object.

Personally when I was younger and stupider I had a bad accident, my fault, and I flew over the bike, the impact on the BMW system 6 was enough to crack my skull and I still have a ridge in the dome from that, used to keep the helmet as a reminder... but now after seeing so many accidents on the job, I chucked it out.

Modular or 3/4's are the go (ones that come round the cheek) are important.

But hey, you make your choices..... If you get to be old, you can lecture! :301: Doesn't mean anyone listens.

:yes: I'm all about the gear too.

flat6bagger
05-08-2015, 06:11 AM
In 1979 I crashed on a motorcycle and my helmet cracked in half.
The only thing holding it together was the foam and lining.
It did it's job.
In 2011 racing my quad on a 1/4 mile dirt track I was ejected when another racer came up and we clipped rear wheels.
I was going 65+ mph and hit head on into a concrete wall.
My helmet,neck brace and chest protector were all destroyed.
I am typing this reply,so needless to say I am thankful for my gear and God saving my life.
I don't ride anywhere without a helmet.
Heck,I wear a helmet at a drive in theater.:icon_lol:
It is everyone's choice and I respect that.
I just choose to be one of those that wears one.

wjduke
05-08-2015, 06:47 AM
My quick story happened last April. Riding along a small town road...old man sitting there waiting for cars to go by....seems to wait for me and pulls out right when I'm in front of him. HID headlight, just before dusk, and he never saw me. Full gear saved a 57 year old from more damage than a few broken ribs and a dislocated ankle....along with a totaled bike that I haven't been able to replace yet. Over a year now and still waiting to resolve things. ATGATT

RLatt
05-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Retired Lincoln Fire and Rescue here - and went to too many of these. I experienced what can happen, as the accident victim in June of last year. Broken ribs, punctured lung, broken leg and ankle. I hit the front windshield with my helmet, BROKE the windshield. My helmet saved my life. Bought another just like it as soon as I was able to ride again. As I have said before, the only thing good about not wearing your helmet, is that you can be an organ donor.

wjduke
05-08-2015, 10:59 AM
I started this thread and in a weird way, enjoy the stories...just hope this isn't pages long if you know what I mean.

seadog
05-08-2015, 09:26 PM
In 1979 I crashed on a motorcycle and my helmet cracked in half.
The only thing holding it together was the foam and lining.
It did it's job.
In 2011 racing my quad on a 1/4 mile dirt track I was ejected when another racer came up and we clipped rear wheels.
I was going 65+ mph and hit head on into a concrete wall.
My helmet,neck brace and chest protector were all destroyed.
I am typing this reply,so needless to say I am thankful for my gear and God saving my life.
I don't ride anywhere without a helmet.
Heck,I wear a helmet at a drive in theater.:icon_lol:
It is everyone's choice and I respect that.
I just choose to be one of those that wears one.

I believe it was stated that 73% or more of the people that had died in motorcycle accidents would have lived if they had had a helmet on. With stats like that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the helmet is a necessary piece of equipment. Driving around these days and watching how bad other drivers are also make anyone want to put a helmet on. Not every cager is an excellent driver. I drove truck for 36 years and have seen every idiotic attempt on the planet at trying to drive a car.

fxdl2051
05-08-2015, 11:09 PM
I've spent too many years filling my head up to empty it all over the road. Bell saved my head, but the leg, not so good. Never ride without one.

RoadSurfer
05-09-2015, 02:14 PM