PDA

View Full Version : Potential new guy

smalls
05-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Hey everyone,

This subject has likely been covered but I'd appreciate respectable feedback. I'm highly interested in the F6B, coming from cruisers already. I have both a Harley Wide Glide and a Victory Kingpin. I like both, albeit for different purposes. The Victory is my real bike and I put about 10k a year on it. I like to travel and enjoy several days on the road camping. The Victory is outstanding and has served me well. But...I'm curious for change. I feel I've been gravitating towards travel comfort, high mileage, and enjoying the road...more than loud pipes, bars, and ape hangers.

Other reasons for a change include ergonomics for back and shoulders, along with extras like a radio and navigation. I have done the Victory demo and do not care for the Cross Country bikes. My feet are too far foward in that riding position, putting a strain on my upper back/neck. The Vision is nice, but still selling myself on the looks. I recently rented a Harley Ultra for 200 miles and loved it. I was only able to ride the F6B for about 15 miles as a "test ride", but loved it too.

So I've narrowed it down to the Harley Ultra or F6B. I like the Harley stock. Not into modifying much. My objective is too get on the bike, ride, and enjoy the scenery and rack up some miles...in relative motorcycle comfort.

Everyone that has a F6B came from something, so feedback from those coming from Harley/Victory cruiser style is welcomed.

Thanks!

53driver
05-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Welcome!
If you search for Kingpin or even victory, you can see why some other people switched over.
I have no experience with Victory.
I have had Harleys, but a '73 Sporty and now a '95 Heritage.
I have had a '98 Valk and an '81 Wing.

You mentioned a few topics:
Nav - F6B has no stock Nav system, although many have found ways to mount GPS devices.
Camping - with a luggage rack, or a trailer, I'm sure provisions can be made to accommodate, but for a larger percentage of us here, "camping" means the Holiday Inn.
Back & shoulder issues - a few riders were unable to get the proper seat/handlebar relationship for their personal issues/injuries and invested in the "Heli-Bars" and either Ultimate or Russell Day Long (RDL) seats.
Again, search for "shoulder" or "lower back" and a few threads will come up.

Having written all that? As a "heavy cruiser" - this bike is just unbelievable from a handling and power perspective.
I do not know how much the Ultra's amenities are worth to you as far as the difference in cost.

Use the Search function and do some reading....lots of info in the annals.
Again, welcome aboard.

smalls
05-08-2015, 12:49 PM
I appreciate the response. I would add a navigation if needed. And I should clarify, by camping I mean strapping a tent and sleeping bag to the back seat. No trailer. Oh, and I never ride 2 up. So far both the ultra and F6B put the seat and handlebars right where I like them.

jkelley
05-08-2015, 01:59 PM
if only between the Ultra and F6B then you have two distinct bikes with about as far apart in performance, and ergonomics as you can get.

The Ultra will not perform nearly as well or handle as well as the F6B. If you are into playing in the twisties, or twisting the wick then the F6B is a great bike.

Unless you spend big bucks the Harley wont even come close to running with this Honda.

The seating position is forward controls for the Ultra, and mid for the F6B. I still find that bothersome.

The ultra is easier to work on in that you don't have tupper wear to remove to get stuff done.

The F6B does not need much other than an air filter that is a real pain to do every 24,000 miles. Normal oil and filter can be done without removing anything.

Paint and finish are 100% better on any Harley than the F6B. The Harley will hold value much better than the F6B.

smalls
05-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Yes I've heard about the paint on the F6B and not that concerned. I mean yes, it is a thought, but I aim to ride, not always clean. The resale does concern me however. Only because you just never know what will happen and what you may want next and selling could be an issue with the F6B. I LOVE the idea of oil and filter only on the F6B in comparison to the Ultra.

stroguy
05-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Not riding two up gives you nearly a third more luggage add on. You can add a luggage rack and then as well the back seat becomes another storage spot. The biggest luxury of the F6B is the interchangeability as morphing capability. You have most surely landed in the right forum to see the multitude of configurations these folks have. Welcome to the show.

opas ride
05-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Yes I've heard about the paint on the F6B and not that concerned. I mean yes, it is a thought, but I aim to ride, not always clean. The resale does concern me however. Only because you just never know what will happen and what you may want next and selling could be an issue with the F6B. I LOVE the idea of oil and filter only on the F6B in comparison to the Ultra.
I have owned both the Victory Kingpin Tour and the Vision Tour..Both excellent bikes in my judgment and I could have kept either one..I took a ride on the F6B and was again "hooked" on the smoothness and power of the flat six motor. I also felt it handled better than the heavier Vision...I have never owned a Harley and after riding a couple probably never will....For highway touring you cannot find a better road bike, in my opinion, than the Victory Vision..Great wind protection, adjustable windshield, smooth and stable, big floorboards to move your feet around and just a great bike on the super-slab...I don't ride two-up any more and longer trips are a thing of the past, so the F6B works great for me and I would consider it the nicest/best bike I have owned out of the 16 or so I have had....I would not hesitate to buy one any day over what HD offers...unless your into noise, shakes, and the "good-old-boy" thing, I think you will be very happy with the Honda..I added a Baggershield windshield, Mustang seat, Cobra pipes, Kury grips, and extra chrome goodies and I am good to go!!!

smalls
05-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Nice to hear from a previous Victory owner. Yes, I would agree the Vision is awesome on the open road, hence why I was very serious about it. At this point of my riding I've found the loud pipes to become an annoyance on longer rides, especially in the mtns. I'm a day long ride into the Smokies where I live, so mtn twisties are what I ride.

lloydmoore1
05-08-2015, 06:55 PM
I came from a Kawaski Nomad.
I'm 6'1" and the f6b is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever driven. I have had a back surgery survived 21 yrs beating up my body in the military and this bike relaxes me. I have added nothing for comfort with regards to seat or pegs because it is friggin comfortable as it is, no aches or pains after driving long distances. It's a powerhouse full of torque and just plain fun to ride.
Good luck with your choice just make it based of what you feel when you ride.

53driver
05-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Nice to hear from a previous Victory owner. Yes, I would agree the Vision is awesome on the open road, hence why I was very serious about it. At this point of my riding I've found the loud pipes to become an annoyance on longer rides, especially in the mtns. I'm a day long ride into the Smokies where I live, so mtn twisties are what I ride.

Okay, the F6B will certainly feel better on those roads...having said that, somewhere on these pages is a video of me on a fully loaded F6B chasing my buddy (Amateur racer) on a not-so-stock Road Glide on Hwy 129 (or 119?) and I am able to hang, but certainly not get by him. I'm saying the Harley is capable in the right hands with the right mods. Stock Harley? I don't think it would have been an issue of "close."

This might be it...and yes, Hwy 129/19 in GA - a favorite of sportbikes.
https://www.facebook.com/53driver/videos/993628830667017/?l=5012931397551956575

smalls
05-08-2015, 07:06 PM
if only between the Ultra and F6B then you have two distinct bikes with about as far apart in performance, and ergonomics as you can get.

The Ultra will not perform nearly as well or handle as well as the F6B. If you are into playing in the twisties, or twisting the wick then the F6B is a great bike.

Unless you spend big bucks the Harley wont even come close to running with this Honda.

The seating position is forward controls for the Ultra, and mid for the F6B. I still find that bothersome.

The ultra is easier to work on in that you don't have tupper wear to remove to get stuff done.

The F6B does not need much other than an air filter that is a real pain to do every 24,000 miles. Normal oil and filter can be done without removing anything.

Paint and finish are 100% better on any Harley than the F6B. The Harley will hold value much better than the F6B.

First, notice you're in W. NC? I'm out of Charlotte and ride the BRP quite a bit. Second, it looks like you have the Corbin seat, which is exactly what I was thinking if I change the seat. Did the Corbin change any seating position in regards to handlebars? On my Victory I changed to a Mustang and afterwards found I was too far from the handlebars.

srt8-in-largo
05-08-2015, 07:24 PM
The F6B resale value does suck... but there are some bargains to be had out there. Still-new-in-crate 2013 and 2014 models can be found for about $13,000.

As a motorcycle enthusiast, in my humble opinion your experience is not complete until you've owned a GL1800. The stars have aligned for you; pull the trigger and join the party :icon_biggrin:

smalls
05-08-2015, 08:02 PM
As a motorcycle enthusiast, in my humble opinion your experience is not complete until you've owned a GL1800. The stars have aligned for you; pull the trigger and join the party :icon_biggrin:

Awesome!

gmorstad
05-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Hey everyone,

This subject has likely been covered but I'd appreciate respectable feedback. I'm highly interested in the F6B, coming from cruisers already. I have both a Harley Wide Glide and a Victory Kingpin. I like both, albeit for different purposes. The Victory is my real bike and I put about 10k a year on it. I like to travel and enjoy several days on the road camping. The Victory is outstanding and has served me well. But...I'm curious for change. I feel I've been gravitating towards travel comfort, high mileage, and enjoying the road...more than loud pipes, bars, and ape hangers.

Other reasons for a change include ergonomics for back and shoulders, along with extras like a radio and navigation. I have done the Victory demo and do not care for the Cross Country bikes. My feet are too far foward in that riding position, putting a strain on my upper back/neck. The Vision is nice, but still selling myself on the looks. I recently rented a Harley Ultra for 200 miles and loved it. I was only able to ride the F6B for about 15 miles as a "test ride", but loved it too.

So I've narrowed it down to the Harley Ultra or F6B. I like the Harley stock. Not into modifying much. My objective is too get on the bike, ride, and enjoy the scenery and rack up some miles...in relative motorcycle comfort.

Everyone that has a F6B came from something, so feedback from those coming from Harley/Victory cruiser style is welcomed.

Thanks!

I will answer as best I can as a new f6b owner. First of all I will say that my new f6b is for sale but not because it is not a great motorcycle but because I have decided the danger isn't worth it and my body is just too arthritic to ride anymore.

I came from a ST1300 which is a great bike in it's own right but again I wasn't comfortable so I tried the F6b. I also tried several Harleys, Indian Chieftain, BMWs, Yamaha FJR and several Japanese cruisers. I concluded the Harleys are way overpriced and the only one I would even consider riding would be the new Ultra but at $26000.00 there was no way I could justify the cost. I simply hated the Indian and I really hated the Harley Heritage softtail. I didn't hate the Harley Road King but I certainly found it to be nothing special and definitely not worth the price.

The F6b is very smooth, has great power and with the right windshield has great protection. It has better balance than any motorcycle I have ever ridden and is easier to move with your legs than the ST because the seat is lower to the ground. I did not feel I needed reverse on the F6b especially after owning the ST1300. I also don't feel the F6b needs a sixth gear but did feel the ST needed one. The passing ability with the F6b is fantastic and as all have said it corners surprisingly well.

With all that said, mine is for sale for $14500.00 and I have installed a Clearview shield as well as Kuryakyn II forward pegs and both of these add ons are necessary for comfort. The bike is a black 2013 with 850 miles. I have only had it for a month.

FlaMike
05-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Had a Victory Crossroads and 6 Harleys in my past. They all served their purpose at the time. And I can't rule owning one again (hell might freeze over) ;snowshoveling;

But seriously, If your looking for a bike that performs like it should, right out of the box, no mods, no stage 1,2, etc, than F6B fills the bill in spades. There's a reason why virtually no performance parts exist for Goldwings/F6B's. Honda did a fine job of balancing performance/durability when they built it. These bikes easily go 200k miles, with nothing more than routine maintenance.

F6B's aint perfect but I haven't found a bike that is. And there are things to be improved ( oe. windsheild, etc) But it truly is a RIDERS bike. Just gas, tires, oil, and go.
Had mine for 18mo and close to 20k mi and no absolutely no regrets !!

And while F6B's may not have great resale; in my experience, neither do high mileage Harley's.

Good luck in your quest.

jkelley
05-09-2015, 06:04 AM
First, notice you're in W. NC? I'm out of Charlotte and ride the BRP quite a bit. Second, it looks like you have the Corbin seat, which is exactly what I was thinking if I change the seat. Did the Corbin change any seating position in regards to handlebars? On my Victory I changed to a Mustang and afterwards found I was too far from the handlebars.

Correction, HAD a Corbin. Sold it fast, as I do not have a Corbin ass per say. I currently ride an Ultimate and so far it is the best I have found.
I do like the F6B for performance out of the box, but have hip issues and the seating position is simply miserable for me. As long as I can get up on the highway pegs soon I am ok but prolonged riding in the mid position and I am miserable. I also added Rockies Risers and cruise to mine.
So overall I am pretty satisfied at this point. But I did look at the Victories last weekend and if I were to do anything else bike related I would probably head in that direction. Not likely to do anything soon though. If you get up this way give me a shout and you can try out the set up I am running.

Batt13
05-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

Just to add my 2 cents!!! I own a 2013 F6B & 2002 HD Firefighter Roadking which I love both. Two different rides. Basically, it come down to if you want the V-Twin ride then go for the Harley,but remember it cannot respond like the F6B in performance. I would think the Victories will be similar to the Harleys. I am fortunate to have 2 different types of rides. So it comes down to the V-Twin experience or the performance of the F6B. Good luck with your decision.

smalls
05-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Correction, HAD a Corbin. Sold it fast, as I do not have a Corbin ass per say. I currently ride an Ultimate and so far it is the best I have found.
I do like the F6B for performance out of the box, but have hip issues and the seating position is simply miserable for me. As long as I can get up on the highway pegs soon I am ok but prolonged riding in the mid position and I am miserable. I also added Rockies Risers and cruise to mine.
So overall I am pretty satisfied at this point. But I did look at the Victories last weekend and if I were to do anything else bike related I would probably head in that direction. Not likely to do anything soon though. If you get up this way give me a shout and you can try out the set up I am running.

Gotcha on the Corbin, it's def a hit or miss. Well, Victory does allow lots of leg room with the huge floorboards. Not sure what you're looking at, but if it's an excellent condition 2009 Kingpin I can swap ya take that F6B off you're hands...paying the difference in cash of course. But...thanks for the info, much appreciated. And yes, I head your way quite a bit for riding.

smalls
05-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Ok, just got back from the dealer. Here's the scoop with both trades;
NEW 2013 Black - no cruise, no abs, no heated grips
Vs
NEW 2015 Matte Black - + abs, heated grips, cruise

There's a $4k difference between them. I can ass cruise to the 2013 using -------- for about $1k.

So thoughts? Is it worth the extra $4k to have better paint, abs, heated grips and cruise already installed? Or, spend the extra $1k on 2013 cruise?

I've realized some of the "deals" on a new 2013 advertised involve hefty freight, destination, and setup fees...plus travel time to and from these places usually 400mi one way. So the price my dealer is offering on the 2013 seems legit.

hiflyer
05-09-2015, 01:55 PM
So thoughts? Is it worth the extra $4k to have better paint, abs, heated grips and cruise already installed? Or, spend the extra $1k on 2013 cruise?

Go for the '15. Resale is another consideration.

ChubbyDodds
05-09-2015, 05:47 PM
I went for the '15 for the cruise and the potential for resale even though there were awesome deals on the '13/'14 . I think the factory cruise is great and may be a desirable option to future buyers. Is it worth $4K? Time will tell, I suppose. I sure enjoyed it on my Arkansas trip during the extended highway sections!

Regardless, the F6B is an incredible motorcycle. I feel this bike has brought back the simple joy of just riding. On my prior bikes, I was falling into the feeling of needing a destination to go somewhere. Now, I just ride and love every second!!

CheesyRider
05-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Ok, just got back from the dealer. Here's the scoop with both trades;
NEW 2013 Black - no cruise, no abs, no heated grips
Vs
NEW 2015 Matte Black - + abs, heated grips, cruise

I'm confused. The 2015 F6B is not available with ABS in the USA. And, matte black has never been offered as a factory color.

smalls
05-09-2015, 07:56 PM
I'll have to double check on the abs. Thought so, but you make a good point. The color is a matte black/grey color. Charcoal maybe?? I took a photo of it. Let me see if I can load it.

stroguy
05-09-2015, 07:59 PM
No ABS, common mistake. I thought mine had them for a week after I bought it. You get that DELUXE sound in your head and you think it has a coffee maker as well. Matte Silver for the 2015

srt8-in-largo
05-09-2015, 08:44 PM
New 2013 vs new 2015 at a $4,000 difference... hmm... yeah cruise and heated grips can both be added for about $1,300 if you do the work yourself... and I agree with the above about no ABS being available in the American market.

If you take the 2013, the depreciation is essentially being erased. Personally, I'd lean in this direction but I'd see if I could squeeze another 1 or 2 grand out of the dealer; I bet these guys are getting a little nervous about their old new-stock.

tozco
05-10-2015, 12:22 AM
I've had a 2004 Victory Touring Cruiser, and a 2012 Victory Crossroads. I had other bikes for sport but used the Vics for travel. I found that neither one was really great out on the road for big miles, because the sound and vibration was fatiguing, that's why I got the big Honda. I am still having problems with fatigue on long days because of the cramped quarters compared to the Vics, and the gear noise or whirring, really stinks. I'm not sure the Honda is an interesting enough machine to keep for the long term. I still have my 1951 Panhead I restored 25 years ago, and an early Confederate with a big s&s motor, only weighs 500# wet. Those bikes are fun on shorter rides, but aren't going to cut it out on the road like the F6b can, but coming from very mechanical type bikes, the Honda is capable, but a bit boring, not a keeper for me anyway. Just my opinion here.

srt8-in-largo
05-10-2015, 07:28 PM
The best handling Big Bike that has ever existed... is boring?

:017:

That's a head scratcher.

53driver
05-10-2015, 07:55 PM
The best handling Big Bike that has ever existed... is boring?

:017:

That's a head scratcher.

Per tozco...and that's cool.
I have 2 quick thoughts:
1. I think I'm ready for less mechanical intervention, if that's what he finds boring.
2. I want to know what "heavy cruiser" he finds not boring???? :yikes:

VP8
05-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Smalls, I traded in my Yamaha FJR and Victory Cross Country bike for the F6B Deluxe. I found myself becoming more of a touring rider than a sport bike rider. The last couple of years, I go on 3-15 day motorcycle trips. And the Victory was supposed to satisfy that. I was having a lot of warranty problems with my Victory...approximately eight issues. And my Victory dealer/mechanic was almost 40 miles away. Victory parts are like gold...hard to get and rarely in stock. I did enjoy the comfort of the Victory, but when it came to performance, dealer and parts availability, it sucked. I was on a four day trip the week before my alternator died...I purchased the bike brand new and had it for less than a year. With all these warranty issues with the Victory, I could not part with the Yamaha...as that has been very reliable. Also, my maintenance costs would be at least $300 for each service at the Victory dealer.

I demoed the 2014 HD Street Glide and Ultra Limited CVO to see if that would be a reasonable alternative to the Victory. Well, I didn't care for the ride...at idle, both bikes rattled like a paint shaker. And when we were traveling at slow speeds around town, the bikes would get hot around the legs. When the demo crew asked me how I like the bikes, I told them...I thought this was the Rushmore line...where it made adjustments based on customer's wants...why does the bike rattle so much? Their response...it's always going to rattle...it's a Harley. Also Smalls...keep in mind all the maintenance costs...HD is expensive!!! I have a friend who purchased a 2014 Ultra Limited...he's had more warranty problems than me. But the good thing is...HD takes care of their customers...parts arrive fast, and HD will make it up to you.

Overall...I love my F6B...I'm so glad I purchased this bike...it handles great, faster than any Vic or HD, well balanced, easy to maintain, reliable, parts/dealer availability galore, comfortable, and I seem to have more people approach me about my F6B than my Cross Country and FJR combined. Even Harley guys come talk to me and ask me a ton of questions about it. Maintenance intervals are every 4,000 miles, and cost approx $150-180...way more reasonable.

Smalls, if you do get a F6B, definitely get a center stand with it...and heated grips. The ride is a little more cramped than the Victory or HD...but I just use the highway pegs...and all is happy. If you purchased a used B...then you are way ahead already and shouldn't worry too much about the resale value. I personally don't really use cruise control. I just purchase a $35 Go Cruise and a $10 CrampBuster...works great on long trips...or just to take my hand of the throttle for a minute.

smalls
05-10-2015, 08:28 PM
I can't thank everyone enough for the honest opinions! All appreciated!

VP8, your story sounds very familiar to me. Yes, Victory did steal my heart and I have loved that bike. It has provided many great adventures. The Harley and maint does deflect me a bit, and the Honda seems to attract my interest more with lower maint costs and smooth riding. Similar to you I've found riding many days at a time for the long stretch is what I enjoy, and the F6B provides the smooth version of that.

Often times on both my Harley and Victory I've found what sounds great around town (exhaust note) just doesn't appeal to the ear on mile 300 in the mtns. Also, the smooth highway riding is a plus on the F6B.

I'm slightly less worried about the cramp feel. When I ride my Victory I tend to keep my feet on the floorboards only. Adding some of the highway pegs on a F6B would be fine.

As for ABS, yes def glad I went back to check that! Cruise control is a must have on my next bike, but adding it to a 2013 doesn't scare me off, so if the price is right I'm gonna take it. I do wish I could buy private, but in order to get the F6B I'll be trading in my other bikes.

I'll keep you guys updated and hope to make a deal this week!!

smalls
05-10-2015, 08:30 PM
Per tozco...and that's cool.
I have 2 quick thoughts:
1. I think I'm ready for less mechanical intervention, if that's what he finds boring.
2. I want to know what "heavy cruiser" he finds not boring???? :yikes:

The throttle on the F6B was far from boring in my opinion.

53driver
05-11-2015, 07:49 AM
Of course, you could always do something like this with a Victory XC...

tozco
05-11-2015, 11:01 AM
After owning Guzzi, Ducati, a Hayabusa, and now a Confederate, I just think the F6b is boring. It does not change direction quickly, nor does it have much ground clearance. It is big in weight and length and width, but has a cramped cockpit, I'm glad you guys love it, I'm just not sure it has worked out for me..
The almost complete lack off mechanical presence or soul, is a problem for me. You guys like it, simple as that.

Hornblower
05-11-2015, 11:36 AM
After owning Guzzi, Ducati, a Hayabusa, and now a Confederate, I just think the F6b is boring. It does not change direction quickly, nor does it have much ground clearance. It is big in weight and length and width, but has a cramped cockpit, I'm glad you guys love it, I'm just not sure it has worked out for me..
The almost complete lack off mechanical presence or soul, is a problem for me. You guys like it, simple as that.

I do understand your comments and even agree with some of it. And, you do have a very interesting experience base for reference. It's all about trade-offs and compromise, don't you think? For some, and apparently for you, a bike that runs quietly and smoothly is boring. I get that. For me, the BMW K12LT was like that. It was just too "automotive-like" for me. I couldn't wait to unload that thing. I guess what keeps me interested in the "B" is the combination of power, handling, comfort, looks, dependability, low operating and maintenance cost, etc. Maybe not all these features are the best available but as a package, pretty hard to beat.

tozco
05-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Ken, you get what I'm talking about. I just thought anyone coming from American v-twin world should consider it from all of the angles.

jm21ddd15
05-11-2015, 12:23 PM

In the past, I did the 1000 Ninja and then the Concourse. Got tired of laying on the tank and sore wrists. However, they were definitely fun rockets! Now, I'm just an older guy, looking for what the F6 offers me- all day comfort, power, style, and rely ability. At this time in my life, I'd rather be riding, than sitting in my garage twisting wrenches for a couple more HP. What are you thinking you want next?

tozco
05-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Your question of what's next is a good one. I have been unable to find a mile eater that also excites me. Maybe a California 1400. Maybe a custom build on a RG. I'll probably finish out the season with the Honda. My wife sure likes it when she is along. Don't get me wrong the Honda is a really nice bike, I understand why so many guys love them!
Mike

flat6bagger
05-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Did Moto Guzzi, so I don't understand the excitement you speak of when owning one of them.
They are about the most uncomfortable,boring motorcycles I ever rode.
No power,buzz box for a motor and as dependable as a Yugo.
The only excitement I got from mine was when I made it back home.

opas ride
05-11-2015, 07:36 PM
I rather think riding the F6B is like driving a Mercedes, BMW ,Lexus, or Lincoln..Smooth quiet, comfortable, powerful and a generally nice ride..HD, Victory, Ducati, etc. are all nice bikes and each serves it own purpose..For me I will take the F6B as it does all I want and need it to do..Easy to ride, comfortable, quiet, smooth, powerful, etc.,etc. What ever "floats your boat" as they say....Ride safe

srt8-in-largo
05-11-2015, 08:28 PM

I get what you're saying Toz, I was just pulling your chain. I get the rumble and mechanical connection you feel on a v-twin and for guys who like machinery, there is certainly an appeal to that. My best description of it is when you drive an electric car for the first time; most times you have no idea if its' even running and the lack of feedback is the "boring" part.

However, my point is that the GL1800 is no electric car :icon_biggrin:

No it doesn't put on a show and thump its' chest, it speaks quietly and walks softly. The excitement of a GL1800 comes about when you make this bike do what it is so adeptly made to do...RIDE...HARD... in any condition. The excitement also comes when you realize that you don't have the riding skills to max this bike out; unless you're in the top 5 or 10 % of riders, it'll take everything you can throw at it and ask for more.

tozco
05-12-2015, 08:36 AM
I might be in the high percentile you mention, at least when it comes to a fast ride down a back road. I'm smooth enough to get forty mpg, but my tires are toast at 7500 miles. That is with proper inflation. A Vision will carve with better feedback than the Honda, but it is too hideous to own. Virtually none of my riding takes place on the interstate. Maybe I'm just never going to be happy with a large touring type cruiser. My initial criticism of the F6b is with it's electric nature vs a more visceral internal combustion feel. How can you guys stand the whirring noise, it's like you are riding a blender, not harnessing explosions for propulsion.

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Because we are all old enough that we went through the phase you are in.
We now enjoy relaxing on a motorcycle that is smooth as silk and enjoy what you are obviously missing with your style of riding.
I find it entertaining that you come on a forum that is about F6Bs (that most of us love) and think that it is a great idea to slam them.
You also make me laugh with your thinking a Moto Guzzi is so great.
They are an outdated, technological turd compared to a Gold Wing.
They don't refer to Moto Guzzi as "the company that has been trying to go out of business for 94 years" because they are so wonderful of a motorcycle.

tozco
05-12-2015, 09:30 AM
I've ridden around 10,000 miles per year for the last 37 years. My V11 Guzzi, with Ohlins, was no turd, but with clip ons, a but too focused for my 56 years. I want something nicer better, that's why I bought an F6b.
Why do I have to be just like you? Why can't I, as an owner, express an opinion that differs from yours? It's called exchange of ideas.

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 09:42 AM
I never said you couldn't.
If it is nicer and better why are you constantly finding fault with them?
That doesn't make sense.
Oh well to each their own.
Be safe whatever you ride.:icon_biggrin:

srt8-in-largo
05-12-2015, 10:03 AM
I might be in the high percentile you mention, at least when it comes to a fast ride down a back road. I'm smooth enough to get forty mpg, but my tires are toast at 7500 miles. That is with proper inflation. A Vision will carve with better feedback than the Honda, but it is too hideous to own. Virtually none of my riding takes place on the interstate. Maybe I'm just never going to be happy with a large touring type cruiser. My initial criticism of the F6b is with it's electric nature vs a more visceral internal combustion feel. How can you guys stand the whirring noise, it's like you are riding a blender, not harnessing explosions for propulsion.

I don't presume to speak for others, but the whirring and everything else is an engineering marvel to me. Do you realize Honda timed the combustion events from side to side in order to minimize vibration and other disturbances? To do this in conjunction with other feats like having a perfect hp and tq curve for the intended purpose is pleasing to me.

There are times when I, like you, really want more feedback from this bike and that's frustrating sometimes. But idk; for me, the positives out weigh the negatives.

I never said you couldn't.
If it is nicer and better why are you constantly finding fault with them?
That doesn't make sense.
Oh well to each their own.
Be safe whatever you ride.:icon_biggrin:

Why are you finding fault and slamming someone for simply expressing an alternate opinion; is it so hard to understand that someone else might have a different perception and experience than yourself?

The man isn't completely happy with the 6... so what; do you need everybody to like what you like. There's no need to get defensive or offended.

tozco
05-12-2015, 10:10 AM
This Honda is a great bike. I get why you love it, there is much to love. You are a great bunch, Ride in good health!

bigbird
05-12-2015, 10:14 AM
My initial criticism of the F6b is with it's electric nature vs a more visceral internal combustion feel. How can you guys stand the whirring noise, it's like you are riding a blender, not harnessing explosions for propulsion.

I really like the high pitched whirring emanating form the internals. It reminds me of a gas turbine's compressor.
If I wanted a thumper, I'd own one.

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 10:55 AM
"Why are you finding fault and slamming someone for simply expressing an alternate opinion; is it so hard to understand that someone else might have a different perception and experience than yourself?

The man isn't completely happy with the 6... so what; do you need everybody to like what you like. There's no need to get defensive or offended. "

Where the heck are you getting that it is about him not liking what I like?
It has absolutely nothing to do with that.
That being said,let me get this straight..
you are defending him for expressing his negative opinion, that happens not to be my positive opinion, and are telling me I am wrong for expressing my opinion that is different from his?
Yeah,that makes total sense.
I give up.

jkelley
05-12-2015, 11:14 AM
Don't sweat the small stuff guy's.

valkmc
05-12-2015, 11:52 AM

I have had in my garage a ZX-14, C-14, Valkyrie, and 12 Wing in recent years. I have however owned many other bikes including V-twins, parallel twins, English, American and Jap. I like something about each of them. My favorite would be the Valk, big ass cruiser with more power than any other cruiser at the time and it reminded me of my muscle cars in the 70's. The 6 for me is about performance, love it for a bike this size, comfort and dare I say being different. Metric V-twins are all over the place and HD only makes so many models. The only mechanical presence I need after 19 years of owning bikes is in the flat six. It is good to read about others perception of the 6, I appreciate honest evaluations from others.

Everyone should ride what they like after all it's our/my money so the owner is the only one who needs to be happy.