PDA

View Full Version : General G-max 30,303 Miles

bob109
05-09-2015, 08:48 PM
All good things have to come to a end. So goes it for a General G-Max that I installed a mere 24 months ago. Finally into the "wear bars'" I removed it this evening and installed a identical replacement. With 30,303 trouble free miles, I'm completely satisfied with its longevity and handling. When I originally installed the Max I ran 38 PSI and after several hundred miles of riding I settled on a "sweet spot" 0f 42/43 PSI. This pressure lessens any measurable "squirm" from the 1 ply sidewall. Most if not all non-run flats I've used exhibit the same trait. Can't compare it to the low pressures used on run flats as I have no experience with that type of tire.

Some observations about the G-Max! Extremely smooth and predictable. A great rain tire which handled Florida's occasional "down pours" with ease. No hydro-planing! Eats up the super slabs and does a super job in the corners. The tire was subjected to a year of riding on Florida highways in 95+ heat and a year of North Eastern Pa. pot holed roads. No loss of pressure other than a slight adjustment for elevation and temp changes between Pa. and Fl.

Thread/Tread wear appears, for the most part, even across the face with some light scalloping on the outer edge sipe/grooves. The 42/43 PSI pressure did cause more wear in the center of the thread. Not great but noticeable!

The G-Max specs! 480 Tread Wear Rating. A Temperature and A Traction Ratings. 140 MPH Rated.

Looking forward to my next 30K miles:icon_biggrin:

jm21ddd15
05-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Good info. How's the price on the Generals compared to the OEM tires?

bob109
05-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Good info. How's the price on the Generals compared to the OEM tires?

Discount Tire Direct currently has the General G-Max 195/55-R16 for $94.00 per tire with FREE SHIPPING:icon_wink:

jm21ddd15
05-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Sounds like a great price, too. Still have lots of miles left on my F6 tires, but will keep your info on the Gens handy. Thanks

srt8-in-largo
05-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Nice review Bob. If I were doing cross country trips, I think a CT would get the call from me.

I'm sure you know... but the rear fender comes off VERY easily. It still seems to me that getting the bike on/off the center stand is an easier changing method than laying the bike over.

bob109
05-10-2015, 03:00 AM
Nice review Bob. If I were doing cross country trips, I think a CT would get the call from me.

I'm sure you know... but the rear fender comes off VERY easily. It still seems to me that getting the bike on/off the center stand is an easier changing method than laying the bike over.

After three Hernia repairs last year I had my 33 year old Nephew perform the lowering and lifting of my 6. Removed the right Highway Peg and the bike was gently lowered onto carpets. With the bike in gear it's much easier to remove and install the lug nuts and torque them to 80 Lb. Ft. IMHO There are several videos on "You Tube" showing the process. One is a tinny 85/90 Lb. women who must eat nails for breakfast:icon_lol: