PDA

View Full Version : What you ALMOST bought before you decided on the F6B

jerrysander
05-09-2015, 11:24 PM
I rode a 2014 F6B Standard today at the dealership and couldn't believe how smooth and easy-to-handle it was. And I'm coming from having ridden a Kawasaki W650 for 14 years!

My wife is looking for a comfortable passenger ride and loves Triumph's new passenger accomodations on the Thunderbird LT. I sat on it and wasn't in love with where the shifter was relative to an upright riding position for me. I have no doubt the passenger seat was sumptious, though. I also sat on a Triumph Trophy and -- though it was a bit tall for me, and I could see it being "top-heavy," -- it was a more natural seating position to me, akin to the time I rented a BMW 1150 in California.

My question to you F6B buyers (and I'm getting close) is: what did you ride that you ALMOST bought before deciding on the F6B and -- specifically -- has anyone driven the Thunderbird LT? Comparisons? Trophy? What else did you love?

Anyone ride the new Indian Dark Horse yet either?

Best,
JS

F6B1911
05-10-2015, 06:45 AM
My question to you F6B buyers (and I'm getting close) is: what did you ride that you ALMOST bought before deciding on the F6B and -- specifically -- has anyone driven the Thunderbird LT? Comparisons? Trophy? What else did you love?

I test rode the Triumph Rocket III Roadster before I bought my F6B, rode the BMW R1200RT at a BMW open house.
Really wanted another BMW, well...., that's what I thought I wanted.
Somehow, I ended up in a Honda dealer, saw the F6B, didn't even test drive it, just had to have it.

jm21ddd15
05-10-2015, 06:54 AM
The decision came between the F6B Deluxe and the BMWR1200Rt. I am glad I chose the F6. The BMW is a good ride, but the lack of dealerships,_unless you want to stay close to major cities, and the service requirement of a $500 valve adjustment every 5-6K miles, really helped me decide. Not to mention the solid performance of the Honda motor. Yes, I'm a very happy F6 owner!

tinkerman
05-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Well, I could go on for some time about the different bikes I considered as I decided it was time for a switch from the old 88 Heritage.

But I won't...the FJR 1300 was the last bike I sat on and seriously considered a purchase before buying the F6B. But like many bikes of that sport touring genre (Kawi Concourse was another.....ok, ok...I said I wouldn't do it).....I found them all to small for my 230 lb carcass...especially considering I am not opposed to the idea of a cross continental trip.

Have already done this on the F6B....Vancouver BC, to Newfoundland last year...what a trip. Just thinking about the trying this on the sport touring bikes with me and the missus and a couple weeks worth of belongings has me cringing.

Added to this thinking was the image I had of the original Valkyrie and the positive comments form owners whenever I could corner one....always thought it was a great looking and functional bike on a go forever platform.

Sooooo.....when the F6B came on the scene and I sat on one in a dealers showroom.....the deal was done....it has been everything I thought it would be and more....to hell with the paint....to hell with the plastic....functionality is what I wanted and I got it in spades.

OK off the soap box....I am a believer don't cha know. I know it "is definitely not" a sport tourer....but for a middling big guy like me it is the closest thing I can find that fits. Not to mention gobs of smooth linear power and gob smacking brakes to boot....linked ABS up here in Canada don't cha know....LOL.

tink

flat6bagger
05-10-2015, 07:10 AM
I had had a Gold Wing in the past and was thinking about getting one as my "last bike."
My thinking was that if I ever got bad knees or a physical issue that takes me off of two wheels, I could trike it and continue to ride.
Then I saw the F6B and knew I had to have one.
It too has the capability to be made into a trike if need be.
I could not be happier.

DaWadd
05-10-2015, 08:02 AM
Last year (coming from a VT1300) I test rode a Triumph Rocket , Indian Chieftain and Roadmaster, and Victory Cross Country and Vision. Liked the Indians but loved the F6B.

seadog
05-10-2015, 09:34 AM
But I thought I would take a serious look at the Kawi concours 14 and found a gorgeous red metallic one at a dealer but the more I looked at it the more those bags hooked to the back end looked like an afterthought and stuck out like a sore thumb. I saw the F6B at the Muskegon, Michigan bike fest last year and really liked the lines and the compact pods on the back end. The same dealer with the Concours sold me the new deluxe, Very glad I made the right decision. It isn't as pretty as the Red Metallic but the matte Silver is growing on me everyday I look at it. With the new chrome goodies its coming to life.

ff73148
05-10-2015, 09:41 AM
I look at everyone's responses and I realized that I have already owned the bikes that were being considered. The Triumph Rocket III Touring was a fantastic road bike. Like a big old Lincoln Town Car rolling down the road. It was just too heavy. Handled like a truck and it was murder for short rides around town. The BMW R1200RT had every bell and whistle. Handled great, but lacked the power. Plus it was just too vanilla. I got rid of the R1200RT for the F6B. I considered a Victory for fit and finish but was not impressed with the seating position and it was a bit top heavy. It took one test ride to convince me to buy my 2013 F6B Deluxe. I couldn't be happier.

Exbmwrider
05-10-2015, 09:50 AM
I bought my 2013 Deluxe in April 2014. The only other bike I considered, and yes, it was very close for me, was the BMW K1600 GT. I've done the H-D thing a few times and was looking for comfort. I've not been disappointed with my decision. This is, without question, the best bike I've ever owned.

bobbyf6b
05-10-2015, 12:59 PM
I was also looking at Triumphs. I was looking for something different. My wife liked the Rocket III Touring but the chrome was too much for me. I rode the Roadster and loved it. I also seriously thought about a Thunderbird but decided there was way too much I'd have to add to be happy. Ultimately I wanted a fixed fairing. They've always been my favorite. So basically it was Roadglide (I was trading in a POS Street Glide so I didn't want to chance it), Victory Vision, or F6B. Honda was a no-brainer since it's water cooled and well, you know, a HONDA.

No regrets.

opas ride
05-10-2015, 01:49 PM
Really looked into the BMW1600GT and was ready to make a trade,,,,but the dealer would only give me low wholesale trade on my Victory Vision so I walked...After owning an Valkyrie for 6 years before, I wanted to try the smoothness again of the flat six motor..One ride on the F6B, I was hooked and have never looked back...Plus I got a really great trade on my Vision and a good price on the Honda...Have never considered a HD, and after riding a few will not.....F6B is, by far, the best bike yet I have owned/ridden..Very satisfied and do not intend to trade for a while if ever....At 75 years old riding days are getting numbered!!!....Ride safe.

stroguy
05-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Harley VRod....awesome looking and strong machine.
Yamaha VMAX.....awesome looking and a strong machine.
Ducati Diavel.....awesome looking and strong machine
Honda F6B........awesome looking and a strong machine with seating for 2. Choice was simple.

I have a inkling for a VRod to buddy up with the F6B in a few years.

FlaMike
05-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Winter 2012...I knew the F6B was coming but I just had to have a Victory. Traded my RoadKing (best HD for me) for the Vic CrossRoads. Made more power and handled great.

When F6 started showing up in Spring '13, my local dealer wanted my to demo his personal F6 and of course I knew it would be my next bike. But I'd only had the Vic for 4mo, plus I was hoping for cruise and ABS on 2014's.

Winter '13. No changes for '14 F6B cept color and a used F6 w/800mi and a bunch of extras showed up at dealer. And then it was mine.

I've always have a bike "on deck", you know, the NEXT bike. Right now, I can't think of anything to make me trade my F6. Nice.

valkmc
05-10-2015, 06:47 PM
But I thought I would take a serious look at the Kawi concours 14 and found a gorgeous red metallic one at a dealer but the more I looked at it the more those bags hooked to the back end looked like an afterthought and stuck out like a sore thumb. I saw the F6B at the Muskegon, Michigan bike fest last year and really liked the lines and the compact pods on the back end. The same dealer with the Concours sold me the new deluxe, Very glad I made the right decision. It isn't as pretty as the Red Metallic but the matte Silver is growing on me everyday I look at it. With the new chrome goodies its coming to life.

I owned a C-14 loved the bike but the passenger ride was horrible. Those bags may look funny but they are priceless at the end of a 600 mile day when you can take them off and carry them into your hotel room. I miss them and the electric windshield.

Phaedrus
05-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Triumph Explorer.

shooter
05-10-2015, 07:41 PM
I was looking at Rocket 3 Roadsters. That 145 HP and 165 TQ was very attractive. Then there is Bob Carpenter. You hand him your Riadster at 8am along with a check for about 6 grand and at 5pm he hands you back a Roadster with 240 HP. Thats a lot if HP boys and girls.

CopperMike
05-10-2015, 11:31 PM
I too was narrowing down between a Connie 14 and a FJR. I had gone from riding a GSXR to a V-strom 650 and it was too drastic. I missed the sportiness and power but wanted to maintain the comfort. Stumbled across the F6B, took a test ride and BAM. Got a good deal on a 13 standard and added heated grips and a passenger backrest. Now either a fork brace or internals, windshield and maybe a brake mod. Loving it!

coachk
05-11-2015, 07:58 AM
I was trying to decide between a Victory Cross Country and the F6b...glad I went with the Honda!

Old Ryder
05-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Victory Vision 8 Ball or FJR 1300--the wife was not sold on the FJR after one glance of the seat. I loved the CTX 1300, but Honda has a history of dumping poor selling models after a few years and that scared me off of that one. Thunderbird Storm was in the mix for a while, but the F6B was a bucket list bike and they suddenly got affordable.

Hornblower
05-11-2015, 09:21 AM
I was looking at Rocket 3 Roadsters. That 145 HP and 165 TQ was very attractive. Then there is Bob Carpenter. You hand him your Riadster at 8am along with a check for about 6 grand and at 5pm he hands you back a Roadster with 240 HP. Thats a lot if HP boys and girls.

Careful what you wish for there Shooter :shock:. My old R3 was tuned for 150 hp and it was the most dangerous bike I have ever owned. For higher hp, and especially with over 200 hp, you need a MUCH better handling and braking machine than the R3 Roadster, IMHO of course.

Yeahoo Whoyah
05-11-2015, 11:15 PM
I didn't look at anything else, just bought the F6B soon after they arrived in early 2013. Are you supposed to consider others?

shooter
05-12-2015, 02:55 AM
Yeah but Ken you know the old saying. She can't be too pretty , you can't have too much money , and your R3 can't have too much HP.

FF-Ed
05-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Suzuki C90T BOSS, (M109T BOSS) black

saw a F6B at mountain motorsports after riding the dragon in 2014,

went strait to my dealer in Ohio, bought it

sandragggen
05-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Prior to buying the f6b I was riding a 2006 VTX1300C. I really liked the bike but found once in the recliner position saddle, I did not care for not being able to absorb pot holes by using legs...my butt took all the jarring. I liked the power for it had enough for 2 up riding and all but wanted to get some of the wind out of my face....windshields on VTX1300C's do not look good to me. I test rode a f6b and bought it for its smoothness and all around ability to make the longer trips more comfortable. I really never considered anything else. Honda reliability runs through their entire line up. I've owned Honda TRX400EX, TRX450, Sabre V4 700, VTX1300C and all of them have been top quality and never had any problems with any of them...I'm sure the f6b will deliver as well.

fxdl2051
05-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Yamie FJR1300 was the only thing close to what I wanted, but just not that comfortable. The f6 fit like a glove, albeit an 800 lb glove.

Jayrock
05-14-2015, 03:45 PM
I was seriously looking at the Victory Vision for the fixed fairing & the Cross Country for style. But I wanted an engine that would last forever which meant the flat 6 of the Goldwing platform. The fully dressed 'Wing isn't my thing (yet), and I find the new Valkyrie unattractive. Test rode the F6B and signed on the dotted line 1 hour later....

buda315
05-21-2015, 11:27 PM
The F6B makes the 31st motorcycle I've owned including scooters, dirtbikes, ATV's and street bikes.

I recently sold a Hayabusa and Kawasaki Vulcan VN2000 cruiser for the F6B.

I had been considering only three other options:

BMW 1600GT
Harley Street Glide
Yamaha FJR1300

I did test drive a Concours, and liked it, but the style did not capture me.

The BMW was amazing. A truly fine motorcycle, but again the style did not move me. Also expensive compared to the Yamaha or left over F6B's.

I have owned and do enjoy Harley's. The street glide is a very nice machine. I have grown accustomed to some pretty powerful machines such as Hayabusa, Roadliner, Vulcan 2000, V-Rod, etc... and I'm afraid the stock Harley's don't cut it. Perhaps the CVO 110's, but they are too expensive.

I very much like many of the specs of the FJR, but again sport touring bikes aren't the sexiest of the bunch. That and the fact that I ride with cruisers exclusively and almost always with a passenger. I decided the F6B made more sense.

No regrets. I'm growing more and more fond of this bike.

Great combination of sportiness, "reasonable" speed, comfort, amenities, and IMO good looks even if it is plastic. :icon_wink:

Jimmytee
05-22-2015, 05:38 AM
Got a friend in the CVMA who just traded in his 14 FJR with a color matched trunk on a new 13 F6B a couple weeks ago. He just couldn't enjoy riding the FJR. Said his hands would go to sleep not long after starting to ride and it also was hurting his back. He is loving the F6B.

I have been ,and still am, a Valkyrie rider. One of the best bikes ever made. I was hankering for a new bike, and there were a few that have had my attention. I was pretty enamored by the Victory Cross Country and the BMW 1600 for different reasons. I have always been stoked a little about the Rocket III Roadsters and their power. HD was never really any consideration. I lost all love for them when the first Valkyrie appeared in 97.:icon_wink: And of course, I am one who likes the new Valkyries. I would have preferred Honda to have made the new Valkyrie closer to the original styling, but I could see the potential.

What it came down to.
The BMW, I had read about some quality issues , mostly with the electronics, and the price of admission wasn't cheap either.

The Rocket III Roadster, stirs something in the soul for me, but it just seems a bit of a hoss. That coming from a Valkyrie rider. The Tourer version loses the power the Roadster and the dual headlights I like. The Tourer, from what I understand, can be re-tuned to the HP of the Roadster. And then there is the HP mods which as stated above can really bring out the beast in the Rocket III. I saw a Rocket III Roadster on Craigslist that had the Corbin fairing and Beetle Bags that looked pretty good. In the end, I figured I'd rather have another flat six.

The Victory felt very nice sitting on them. Have read about a few issues with the Freedom 106 engines developing leaks. It again came down to I just love the Flat 6 engine too much.

The final straw, I test rode a 14 Valkyrie. I called my wife and she said I sounded like I was smiling from ear to ear. I was. :icon_biggrin:
I had to go to another dealer to test ride a F6B because they didn't have one there. I knew that as fun as the Valkyrie was to ride, I would want the features of wind protection, luggage and tunes. I test rode a F6B and that's all she wrote.

DarkKnt
05-23-2015, 12:10 AM
I was riding a Moto Guzzi Griso after a very long lay off, and had done a couple of reasonably long (3-8 day) trips... I went to the spring bike show with no intention of buying a new bike, and the minute I saw the F6, I was intrigued.. I thought of the comfort, the bags, the Honda reliability. Went to the dealer a few days later to "nose around" and test rode a 'wing because they didn't have a F6 out of the crate yet. Went back when they did and bought it... Couldn't be happier. Having said that, can you ever be happy with just one bike? I had to go out and buy an old gixxer just for some different fun, and recently test rode an S1000RR. If you haven't ridden a modern "litre bike", I'll just say "Holy Mother of God".... what an experience.

Hornblower
05-23-2015, 07:34 AM
recently test rode an S1000RR. If you haven't ridden a modern "litre bike", I'll just say "Holy Mother of God".... what an experience.

Recently enjoyed a weekend of "spirited" riding with a couple of C14's, a custom-built SV650, and yes, a guy on the S1000R (similar to the RR?). Anyway, let's just say he could pass me with ease and make me look like I was going backwards :yikes:. During the weekend, he did have a couple of close calls though that gave us all "pucker" moments. Maybe I don't need a bike that fast after all :icon_rolleyes:.

Spirit Rider
05-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Love the F6B but I still think of the F6C a lighter monster

Redlinez
05-24-2015, 10:30 PM
Went in wishing the Ninja 1000 would work but knew the comfort wasn't there for my wife. I went back and was ready pull the trigger on a new C14, then rode the F6. After debating over those two for over an hour, I ordered a blue 15 f6b.