PDA

View Full Version : Lane Splitting...

53driver
05-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Interesting take on the safety of lane-splitting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9AAIfFU

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Here in Calif. it is the way if ya want to get around the mass congestion found daily on our freeways, highways & byways. I have been safely splitting lanes for over 50 years (technically called lane sharing). It is endorsed by the CHP and there is a WRONG way and a RIGHT way to do it.:301:

jm21ddd15
05-11-2015, 12:32 PM
I think it is an okay practice, in the right place. I think my F6 may be a bit wide to be splitting lanes, especially if you have extra footrests. I also have a dual-sport Honda 250, that would slip between the cagers just fine. I would hesitate to do it anywhere except for California, for 2 reasons. !st , its illegal everywhere else, 2nd, if other states passed the law to permit it, the drivers in their cars and trucks, wouldn't know how to react. I can picture many panic attack accidents.:icon_frown:

ths61
05-11-2015, 12:41 PM
A lot of out-of-state cagers will try to cut you off, including foreign tourist cagers.

53driver
05-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Here in Calif. it is the way if ya want to get around the mass congestion found daily on our freeways, highways & byways. I have been safely splitting lanes for over 50 years (technically called lane sharing). It is endorsed by the CHP and there is a WRONG way and a RIGHT way to do it.:301:

Concur. That the video didn't cover the specifics of the California Lane Sharing by-laws was a bit troublesome.
When I got my license in Long Beach, CA, it was "no more than 5 mph faster than traffic" and "no more than 15 mph in stopped traffic."

Is this still true?

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 12:43 PM
I think it is an okay practice, in the right place. I think my F6 may be a bit wide to be splitting lanes, especially if you have extra footrests. I also have a dual-sport Honda 250, that would slip between the cagers just fine. I would hesitate to do it anywhere except for California, for 2 reasons. !st , its illegal everywhere else, 2nd, if other states passed the law to permit it, the drivers in their cars and trucks, wouldn't know how to react. I can picture many panic attack accidents.:icon_frown:I have no problems with lane splitting on my F6B even with the ergo footrest, but a person has to know their bikes limits like going between an 18 wheelers and city buses,:shock: the space can be a tad narrow and I'll just wait till one passes the other then go on my merry way. I run headlight on high and wave as I pass cages who move over to give me a little more room as I pass. I also get a lot of thumbs up from drivers as I pass with that good looking F6B:icon_biggrin:

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Concur. That the video didn't cover the specifics of the California Lane Sharing by-laws was a bit troublesome.
When I got my license in Long Beach, CA, it was "no more than 5 mph faster than traffic" and "no more than 15 mph in stopped traffic."

Is this still true?That is the general rules not "set in stone" law, but unless the LEO motorman who catches you is a azzclown you can do a tad more easily In fact I like a lot of riders like to follow the motormen as they lane split as they will run much faster and cages always open up more as they come through. Only a LEO motorman is going to catch you as LEO cages are just stuck in traffic like everyone else.

53driver
05-11-2015, 12:54 PM
That is the general rules not "set in stone" law, but unless the LEO motorman who catches you is a azzclown you can do a tad more easily In fact I like a lot of riders like to follow the motormen as they lane split as they will run much faster and cages always open up more as they come through. Only a LEO motorman is going to catch you as LEO cages are just stuck in traffic like everyone else.

Thanks. They (the private MSF instructing company) also told us that "if you are ticketed while lane splitting for speed/danger/whatever, that you will be found guilty because (as you mentioned) only motormen will get you and if they decide you are unsafe, you probably are."

Can you comment on that good sir knight?

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 01:01 PM
A lot of out-of-state cagers will try to cut you off, including foreign tourist cagers.But as you know when the traffic is bumper to bumper, side by side ain't much they can do other than purposely try the squeeze play and that is why I carry a pocket full of 5/8" ball bearing. Ball bearings are self cleaning, roll off the freeway and leaving no evidence. I have also been know to remove a few driver side mirrors to cages with my size 15 boot who obviously try and play the "you ain't going to pass me" game.

Now before someone gets their panties in a wad, I do no endorse doing anything illegal or destructive to my fellow commuters, but when it is an obvious attempt to hurt, maim or even kill me while doing something perfectly legal I will respond in kind.:301:

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks. They (the private MSF instructing company) also told us that "if you are ticketed while lane splitting for speed/danger/whatever, that you will be found guilty because (as you mentioned) only motormen will get you and if they decide you are unsafe, you probably are."

Can you comment on that good sir knight?Basically that is very true, but I have found the motormen are more on the look out for bad cage drivers and due to their expert skills know when a two wheeler is over their head while splitting.
I have a nephew who is a 6 yr. veteran motorman with the CHP in the LA area and as much and as long as I have been on two wheels, 50+ yr. and conceder my skills above average he is superior in his ability to make his machine walk, talk & dance like no other. I have MUCH respect for the CHP motormen.:yes:

Surfndad
05-11-2015, 01:26 PM
That is the general rules not "set in stone" law, but unless the LEO motorman who catches you is a azzclown you can do a tad more easily In fact I like a lot of riders like to follow the motormen as they lane split as they will run much faster and cages always open up more as they come through. Only a LEO motorman is going to catch you as LEO cages are just stuck in traffic like everyone else.

I too grew up in Calif. and spent a lot of time overseas. I always lane share when legal. So for more than 35 years I split lanes, but now being in Virginia I can tell you it pisses people off here because what I read it as they are stuck in traffic and why should I be able to move on when they can't. Second issue for the longest time bikes were all air cooled and it just wasn't real good for them to set in traffic and heat up.

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 01:39 PM
I too grew up in Calif. and spent a lot of time overseas. I always lane share when legal. So for more than 35 years I split lanes, but now being in Virginia I can tell you it pisses people off here because what I read it as they are stuck in traffic and why should I be able to move on when they can't. Second issue for the longest time bikes were all air cooled and it just wasn't real good for them to set in traffic and heat up.Isn't it amazing how someone trapped in claustrophobic cage stopped on the super slab due to the mass congestion is mad at someone who is just trying to get along and not bother anyone by riding a less polluting, cheaper to operate vehicle and get to their destination sooner?:icon_doh:
Maybe some day the haters will look in a mirror and see themselves for what they are...I doubt it though.:icon_frown:

53driver
05-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Basically that is very true, but I have found the motormen are more on the look out for bad cage drivers and due to their expert skills know when a two wheeler is over their head while splitting.
I have a nephew who is a 6 yr. veteran motorman with the CHP in the LA area and as much and as long as I have been on two wheels, 50+ yr. and conceder my skills above average he is superior in his ability to make his machine walk, talk & dance like no other. I have MUCH respect for the CHP motormen.:yes:

Yes, any LEO on two wheels has been trained by the best of the best of the best. I tip my helmet to them every chance I get.

I actually have a CHP leather jacket. Weighs 478 pounds. A complete side of cow was used to make it.
Even has the holes for the badge.
Awesome riding jacket. Built in toy holder.
I know when I start putting on some extra weight and I go to zip that jacket, I can only think, "Oh hell no. I do NOT want to have to buy another one of these."

53driver
05-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Isn't it amazing how someone trapped in claustrophobic cage stopped on the super slab due to the mass congestion is mad at someone who is just trying to get along and not bother anyone by riding a less polluting, cheaper to operate vehicle and get to their destination sooner?:icon_doh:
Maybe some day the haters will look in a mirror and see themselves for what they are...I doubt it though.:icon_frown:

Heck, in 1998 in San Diego/Miramar on the 805, I actually had people open their car doors so I couldn't get by.....and scream at me for being unsafe and questioning the authenticity of my ancestry.

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 02:01 PM
Heck, in 1998 in San Diego/Miramar on the 805, I actually had people open their car doors so I couldn't get by.....and scream at me for being unsafe and questioning the authenticity of my ancestry.
Yea the "good old days".:icon_evil:
Now with all the educational billboards, TV and print news in Calif. over the last few yr. the public has been made very aware that "lane sharing" is legal in Calif. and you can be heavily fined if you do something to purposely obstruct a riders progress.

srt8-in-largo
05-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Interesting video... but I didn't hear a compelling argument for why it's safe. I heard what they said were their reasons, but to me it sounded like justifications rather than sound reasons of safety. I don't think it's necessarily safer than not splitting... and I kinda think it's not even of equal safety as not splitting.

However, I do in fact lane split all the time but I do so out of convenience; why be held up by traffic if you don't need to be? It's not a legal practice in Florida, but oh well :icon_biggrin:

53driver
05-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Interesting video... but I didn't hear a compelling argument for why it's safe. I heard what they said were their reasons, but to me it sounded like justifications rather than sound reasons of safety. I don't think it's necessarily safer than not splitting... and I kinda think it's not even of equal safety as not splitting.

However, I do in fact lane split all the time but I do so out of convenience; why be held up by traffic if you don't need to be? It's not a legal practice in Florida, but oh well :icon_biggrin:

The part about getting to the front of the queue whilst stopped for a red light and that keeps cagers from hitting you from behind was the only "safer" thing I took away from that video.

hossners
05-11-2015, 02:15 PM
According to the video, lane splitting is 'safer' because it reduces rear-end collisions (30% fewer in CA vs TX and FL). They don't mention any possible increase in lane-change collisions or sideswipes. Are they cherry picking their safety stats?
hossners in OR

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 02:18 PM

However, I do in fact lane split all the time but I do so out of convenience; why be held up by traffic if you don't need to be? It's not a legal practice in Florida, but oh well :icon_biggrin:I tend to agree with you there with this caveat, when inline bumper to bumper, side by side with cages my biggest fear being rear-ended by a cage driver who is scanning way ahead at brake lights and not paying attention to what is right in front of them. I have had way more close calls inline than I have had while splitting and even bumped and pushed into the cage in front of me while stopped. Another nice advantage of "lane sharing" is the ability to go to the head of the line at a stop light.

53driver
05-11-2015, 02:23 PM
According to the video, lane splitting is 'safer' because it reduces rear-end collisions (30% fewer in CA vs TX and FL). They don't mention any possible increase in lane-change collisions or sideswipes. Are they cherry picking their safety stats?
hossners in OR

Not sure what their sources for numbers are.
I like to see the raw data and the method by which it was gleaned and recorded.

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 02:27 PM
hossners in ORI personally don't think they are "cherry picking their safety stats" from what I have heard from CHP motormen and "lane splitting is 'safer' because it reduces rear-end collisions" is a fact IMHO.
I have never been been touched while splitting, but I can't say the same while waiting in line.:icon_frown:

srt8-in-largo
05-11-2015, 02:30 PM
True that, Steve and Larry, reduced possibility of a rear ender seems like the biggest safety benefit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MSF teaches you to keep your bike in gear when stopped and to have an "out" if someone is coming up fast behind you, yes? I guess that's the best you can do in lieu of splitting.

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 02:35 PM
The part about getting to the front of the queue whilst stopped for a red light and that keeps cagers from hitting you from behind was the only "safer" thing I took away from that video.Give that man a cheroot :033:
:agree: 100%

edgeman55
05-11-2015, 02:49 PM
For 25 years I went from Santa Rosa Ca to San Francisco for work.Most of that by motorcycle and lane splitting saved me a bunch of time sitting on the freeway unlike the days I had to take my truck.Never had a problem and most cagers were pretty good about the whole thing.Most of the time I was on full dress Goldwings and as they got larger over the years I had to be more aware of the spacing to get through.Now that I live in Nevada those days are over as lane splitting in this state is a big no-no.But I don't have to get to a workplace every day now so it really is not a big deal and traffic here is nothing like the stuff I delt with in Northern California.So if your travels take you through Nevada don't lane split or you will get a nice fat ticket:shock:

53driver
05-11-2015, 03:00 PM
True that, Steve and Larry, reduced possibility of a rear ender seems like the biggest safety benefit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MSF teaches you to keep your bike in gear when stopped and to have an "out" if someone is coming up fast behind you, yes? I guess that's the best you can do in lieu of splitting.

Yes, MSF does teach that. If you are number 1 in queue and there is no number 2, 3 or 4, I keep my side view mirror scan running, clutch lever in, bike in 1st with an exit strategy to get out of the way.

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 03:02 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MSF teaches you to keep your bike in gear when stopped and to have an "out" if someone is coming up fast behind you, yes? I guess that's the best you can do in lieu of splitting. You are correct as to what the MSF teaches about a speeding cage smashing into you from the rear while you are stopped.
Now let me give you this scenario, you along with all the cages are slowly rolling inline with traffic, stop and going like an accordion, the cage behind you while scanning ahead is looking not at you, but the tell tail sign of on & off brake lights and moves in-tune to the brake lights they see ahead, their mind knows there is a big cage in front of them and do perceive it is moving but you and your bike are a small object and don't register and unconsciously they bump you. The most common excuse given by cagers is "I did not see him" after an encounter between a cage and a bike as told to me by many LEOs and from what I have read.
I reiterate, I have never been touched while splitting, but can't say the same while in line.

bobbyf6b
05-11-2015, 03:04 PM
The part about getting to the front of the queue whilst stopped for a red light and that keeps cagers from hitting you from behind was the only "safer" thing I took away from that video.

I like lane splitting and wish I could do it. That being said, I don't always want to be first at a light. Then I'm the first one to get t-boned by a red light runner.

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
I like lane splitting and wish I could do it. That being said, I don't always want to be first at a light. Then I'm the first one to get t-boned by a red light runner.
:yes: and why when I'm 1st at a light and it is a 4 lane I let the cage beside me go first and use him as a shield, if I'm the only one I always look twice in both directions before leaving the line.

stroguy
05-11-2015, 04:50 PM

I would find it easier to avoid the 90 degree moron vs the rear ender. Have had both situations occur. Thank God I was 1st in queue for the rear-ender, saw it developing on the car next to me and I blew the red light to live another day. When I am not 1st in queue I tend to be as far over as possible where if I am reared I hopefully will not become the bologna in the steel sandwich. That being said I had an encounter with a lane splitter whilst I was hugging the white line at a stop light and he scared to poopy from my bowel. You can't do it here in TX so I wasn't expecting it. That's bad on my part as I should always expect the unexpected.

I tend to like the concept of lane splitting but have zero experience with it. I do fear the cager moron that thinks they occupy the top spot on the tree of life being insulted that I am getting away with something that they cannot have and resulting in an ignorant act. I like the lane splitting aspect to be at the head of the line. As is, when I am first at the light, you are going to have to really be humping it to keep up with me. I don't hang back with the cars. I accelerate very fast to get away from the pack into clear air.

My MSF experienced rider course is this Friday. I am going to bring up this in discussion.

BIGLRY
05-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Lane splitting is not for everyone and by that I mean you must be on high alert, top of your game at all times. Fingers on clutch & two fingers on front brake with the rest on throttle...yea I know the MSF does not advocate two finger front braking, but if you are going to lane split it is the safe way IMO.
Eyes scanning constantly 2 to 3 even 4 cages ahead and to the side while riding a straight as line as possible. You'll learn to read cage drivers eyes in their side view mirrors and respond to the ones who move over for ya to pass with a wave. Having your high beams on is a must while having a modulating head light is a big plus in splitting(ya want to be seen).
The lackadaisical, daydreaming rider is going to get in trouble real fast when trying to split lanes.
Number one rule: if ya don't feel safe and confident in your riding abilities don't do it!

hiflyer
05-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Yes, MSF does teach that. If you are number 1 in queue and there is no number 2, 3 or 4, I keep my side view mirror scan running, clutch lever in, bike in 1st with an exit strategy to get out of the way.

After a 20 year association with the MSF, I have hung up my whistle.

53driver
05-11-2015, 07:33 PM
After a 20 year association with the MSF, I have hung up my whistle.

Wow...you had a whistle? They didn't give me one.....nor permission to use one.
I used the two fingers in mouth whistle and the Rider Coach Trainers and Rider Coach Prep forbade from using that again, unless the next step was dialing 911.

Seriously, thank you for your dedication to newer riders. Being a Rider Coach is not easy, much less a stamp holder.
BZ.

hiflyer
05-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Wow...you had a whistle? They didn't give me one.....nor permission to use one.
I used the two fingers in mouth whistle and the Rider Coach Trainers and Rider Coach Prep forbade from using that again, unless the next step was dialing 911.

Seriously, thank you for your dedication to newer riders. Being a Rider Coach is not easy, much less a stamp holder.
BZ.

Dang right I had a whistle! Genuine MSF whistle. If they sell it, I can use it. Seriously, it was only used to signal an emergency. The last time I used it was when a car drove out onto the range. I appreciate it, for the most part it was a very fulfilling adventure.

srt8-in-largo
05-11-2015, 08:48 PM
I was envisioning you having some sort of fancy aerospace-grade whistle :icon_biggrin:

hiflyer
05-11-2015, 08:55 PM
I was envisioning you having some sort of fancy aerospace-grade whistle :icon_biggrin:

That's the one I use at Franklin when things get out of hand!

cosborn
05-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Lane splitting has recently been OKd here in Au, cars must be stationary, or under 30 kmh. I won't do it simply because our drivers, especially young women in small cars are mad and the F6 is a bit wide anyway.

We are currently allowed to ride in bus lanes but there were a few hairy instances when that was first brought in for example i had a riding mate who tried riding in the bus lane on the first day it was legal, apparently no one told the bus drivers so of course you can imagine what happened.
The bus in front of the rider slowed down to about 70kmh while the bus in rear sped up and sat about 6 feet behind the rider. Not to be out done the rider, in his mid 60s took the details of the busses and visited the bus depot where the red faced management apologised and hauled the relevant drivers over the coals, to make things worse for the drivers, the rider insisted on being present hat the haranguing and gave the drivers a piece of his mind. AS YOU DO.

Chris

'all/right'

Marauderm
05-12-2015, 01:24 AM
I tend to agree with you there with this caveat, when inline bumper to bumper, side by side with cages my biggest fear being rear-ended by a cage driver who is scanning way ahead at brake lights and not paying attention to what is right in front of them. I have had way more close calls inline than I have had while splitting and even bumped and pushed into the cage in front of me while stopped. Another nice advantage of "lane sharing" is the ability to go to the head of the line at a stop light.

My brother and I ride and we will legally go to the front of the line. I feel that when I do this there is an assumed agreement that I will get off the line quickly so I don't hold up the cars. I find in doing so I am exposing myself to a broadside accident from the guy running a red light. My focus is not my safety. So I debate making this move.

Surfndad
05-12-2015, 07:38 AM
My brother and I ride and we will legally go to the front of the line. I feel that when I do this there is an assumed agreement that I will get off the line quickly so I don't hold up the cars. I find in doing so I am exposing myself to a broadside accident from the guy running a red light. My focus is not my safety. So I debate making this move.

I learned to ride in orange county in the 70's and worked for Caltrans 79,80,81 in long beach at the 7 / 405 interchange. Going to work at 0600 5 days a week on a bike I learned to lane split and got really good at it. The traffic in that area was really bad most of the day and worse coming and going during rush hour. Three things I learned was don't ride in the center of the lane, a car goes over something in the road and you catch in in the teeth. Always stay right or left at a stop light so if a cage does come pushing through you have an out or at worst get side swiped and not drug down the street 100 ft. I would like to see it legalized in more states, but the problem like in AU is everyone already thinks it's not ok and have an issue learning all over again. But like I said traffic in Newport, on the 55 and highway 1 at a stand still made it really nice to just keep on moving. :yes:

srt8-in-largo
05-12-2015, 01:10 PM

Three things I learned was don't ride in the center of the lane, a car goes over something in the road and you catch in in the teeth.

How do you mean?

Riding in the center of a lane makes you more vulnerable to catching debris from the car ahead of you?

Surfndad
05-12-2015, 01:56 PM
How do you mean?

Riding in the center of a lane makes you more vulnerable to catching debris from the car ahead of you?

That is correct, you misunderstood what I said, I stated if you ride in the middle you can't see what's coming at you and a car or truck won't hit it and you might.
(I learned was don't ride in the center of the lane)

grendl
05-12-2015, 07:41 PM
On riding in the center of the lane I agree. Car goes over it and you run into or onto it. Kinda like drafting an 18 wheeler. They hit something it goes under the truck and you see it way too late.Thye wont stop or even slow down for animals in the road..Besides,that black streak in the middle of the lane is oil and anti freeze and whatever else leaks from cars that diminish my stability.
On lane splitting or sharing,I used to do it all the time before I knew it was illegal. It just makes sense to so I did. One thing I would add is not only watch the cagers eyes,check their front wheels to see if they are moving over in the lane . Stay alert to everything and yes,cover the controls.
My latest experience in Colorado where it is illegal was getting stuck in morning traffic,just crawling and long stop intervals so I went to the apron which was about the width of a lane.Lots of debris and sand so I went about 10 15 mph. Cager saw me coming up and pulled into the apron to cut me off !.Now for the good part.
The space he left open -I just swerved into that,got in front of him went back to the apron and kept going. I would have been furious but the joke was so good I just laughed the rest of the trip.
The real question though is why he would do that,I was not and would not be in his way?

srt8-in-largo
05-12-2015, 08:08 PM
That is correct, you misunderstood what I said, I stated if you ride in the middle you can't see what's coming at you and a car or truck won't hit it and you might.
(I learned was don't ride in the center of the lane)

Ahhhh... got it. Yes, I too like riding in the tire tracks of the car ahead of me for the same reason.

However, when cars are coming up behind me to pass in an adjacent lane, I'm not yet sure what position is best. Do I stay in the far tire track to give the passing car more room... or should I move over to the near tire track to make sure the passing car doesn't pull into my lane too soon. Any opinions on this?

srt8-in-largo
05-12-2015, 08:17 PM

Cager saw me coming up and pulled into the apron to cut me off !.Now for the good part.
The space he left open -I just swerved into that,got in front of him went back to the apron and kept going. I would have been furious but the joke was so good I just laughed the rest of the trip.

The real question though is why he would do that,I was not and would not be in his way?

We're all a bit frustrated in traffic and drivers who do this feel like they're being cut-in-front-of. You may have been on the apron but at some point you'll need to get back into the lane... thereby getting ahead of everyone else. Even so, the cager was being petty and stupid.

BIGLRY
05-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Ahhhh... got it. Yes, I too like riding in the tire tracks of the car ahead of me for the same reason.

However, when cars are coming up behind me to pass in an adjacent lane, I'm not yet sure what position is best. Do I stay in the far tire track to give the passing car more room... or should I move over to the near tire track to make sure the passing car doesn't pull into my lane too soon. Any opinions on this?
I normally ride in the left side of the lane as to be in view of the cage drivers left side mirror, but if I see a rear approaching cage is going to pass me in an adjacent lane, if needed I will change sides of the lane to be away from the cage to give them the most clearance I can, this would be on multi-lane freeways. On a two lane road I still ride to the far left of the center of the lane and will move to the right if being passed.

I have a few core beliefs or rules that I have rode by all my life that have saved my azz more than once.
1. I am invisible to every other vehicle on the road and ride accordingly.
2. The only vehicles that can see me are out to kill me.
3. Never forget rule number 1

srt8-in-largo
05-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Sounds right to me Larry; I was leaning towards those exact positionings.

And +1 on the Rules to Ride By :icon_biggrin:

Primo
05-13-2015, 11:48 AM
I have no problems with lane splitting on my F6B even with the ergo footrest, but a person has to know their bikes limits like going between an 18 wheelers and city buses,:shock: the space can be a tad narrow and I'll just wait till one passes the other then go on my merry way. I run headlight on high and wave as I pass cages who move over to give me a little more room as I pass. I also get a lot of thumbs up from drivers as I pass with that good looking F6B:icon_biggrin:

X 2.