PDA

View Full Version : BikeMP3 F6B CB Enable Kit Problem

BACA
05-11-2015, 07:53 PM
I installed the BikeMP3 F6B CB enable kit (following the instructions from the video on the BikeMP3 home page) along with the GL1800 Honda left handlebar switches for the CB and a 2010 Honda CB on my 2013 F6B in the winter of 2013, right after the kit was introduced. That summer on a trip to Montana with some friends I had the following problem…..whenever the PTT is pushed, the CB will change the CB channel (it will go from channel 1 to 40 then 39 then 38), plus adjust the CB volume, and CB squelch all on its own.

Last year on a trip to Arizona I never had a problem with the unit like I did on the trip to Montana. Just yesterday on a trip to Oregon the “gremlin” re-appeared.

I read on a GL-1800 forum that wrapping the wires from the CB with foil wire would help to eliminate the problem. Here is the information from the forum that I am referring to (the install was on a trike, but I’m curious if the same problem could occur on a F6B because of the location of the CB………in the left saddlebag.

“It seems as though there is a shielding problem, in other words stray RF is getting back to the radio, thus the interference……all the dealer had to do was wrap all lines attached to the CB, any lines near the CB, and under the CB itself in aluminum duct tape. This blocks any stray interference from getting to areas of the bike it's not to supposed to go.“

My question is have any of you run across the same problem and a possible solution for the above problem? Will wrapping the BikeMP3 F6B enable kit with aluminum foil tape solve the problem? Will I need to wrap the whole kit or just the wires running from the CB to the radio?

Thanks for your time and any information would be really helpful.

Oh Yeah, I'm a member of a GWRRA Chapter and we use the CB alot, so a Bluetooth communication system is out of the question.

Ride Safe But Often!!!

bertrider
05-11-2015, 09:13 PM
I have the kit with a Honda radio and mine works fine so far. If it really is a RF problem, then I wonder if its the radio's proximity to the antenna or maybe a shielding problem with the antenna cable. Could your antenna cable be damaged and "leaking" RF? I'm just thinking out loud. I don't have an answer. My experience is that CB's are really delicate but I need one for the same reason you do.

srt8-in-largo
05-11-2015, 09:25 PM
You don't happen to have a schematic do you?

When you're dealing with electrical gremlins, anything and everything is suspect. Most people who comment like the quote you provided barely have a clue though.

Does the unit have an FCC identification number on it?

Do the instructions say what FCC emissions class this is certified at?

yellow rex
05-12-2015, 12:12 AM
I might be wrong but I think it may be something with the left handle bar SW, you may wont to send Pete a e-mail.
I install a 2012 and up CB never had a problem.

BACA
05-12-2015, 12:33 AM
No, I don't have a schematic, I just followed the instructional video for the unit that BikeMP3 has on his web page. The CB is a Honda 2010 model that was recommended for the bike by BikeMP3. It has worked without the problem before so I know that it can be solved.

I have emailed BikeMP3 about the problem and have posted on other forums but haven't heard anything back yet......of course he is in Florida and I'm in Washington State so I can certainly understand why.

Tomorrow I will check the handlebar switch to see if there is some a problem with the switch unit. I trust Pedro at BikeMP3 and his knowledge to be able to help me out and I know he gets busy......but that "gremlin" isn't going to win this game..........

Ride Safe!

srt8-in-largo
05-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Well keep us posted; the handlebar buttons sounds reasonable.

BACA
05-12-2015, 07:17 PM
After spending all day (short break for lunch), checking each connection, continuity in the switches, continuity in the wiring and grounds, and rerouting some of the wiring........ I finally eliminated the gremlin..........well almost.........it doesn't change channels, adjust the volume or squelch when I push the talk button, but now I can't turn the dang thing off, or go from headphones to speakers.......but I'm not complaining it works..........for now!!

:cus:

srt8-in-largo
05-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Rats. I wish I was closer... I'd love to come over and help figure out what the heck is going on. Maybe try the aluminum foil thing; it can't hurt.

BACA
05-12-2015, 09:00 PM
I wish you did too.........could have used an extra brain today.........I'm not an electrician by any stretch of the imagination but I can generally trace out something..........the CB switch taps into two wires in the wiring harness under the seat on the left side above the battery. I can only assume it is the two wires that regulate and display the on/off status and the speakers/headset status of the CB.......it's not a big problem it's just that I like to turn the CB off when I ride alone. I'm just glad that it is in the on position for now........if not I would still be out in the garage.

Thanks for your moral support though!

Ride Safe But Often!!!!

flamed20
05-12-2015, 10:40 PM
you may have already done this but double check the pins inside the connectors. especially the ones by the relay box. I had a similar problem with mine when i installed it and found one of the pins got bent during connection. I also had a couple of pins that were not soldered very well and had to fix them.

BACA
05-13-2015, 12:14 AM
you may have already done this but double check the pins inside the connectors. especially the ones by the relay box. I had a similar problem with mine when i installed it and found one of the pins got bent during connection. I also had a couple of pins that were not soldered very well and had to fix them.

Thanks, for the information..........I'll do that!