PDA

View Full Version : wind

stevenolts
05-12-2015, 07:17 AM
Does the wind blow you around on the F6B?
My F6B seems to get a little strange when its windy.

Steve

DaWadd
05-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Crosswinds can be a handfull but generally I find the bike to handle the wind fine.

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 07:33 AM
A little,but nowhere near as bad as my Yamaha Royal Star Venture was.

Old Ryder
05-12-2015, 07:36 AM
The B has a lot of mass. Also, cooler air is more dense and will have a greater effect that warm air.

1951vbs
05-12-2015, 11:40 AM

Steve

A belly pan will help.

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 11:45 AM
A belly pan will help.

Why does this help?
I am not familiar with this.
thanks,
Doug

Westernbiker
05-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Yes, my F6B blows around more than my Valk EVER did. (Cross winds) I think it is because of all the Tupperware, which makes it more of a solid mass. The Valk does not have all the plastic so the wind can blow thru the bike somewhat. Plus the fairing on the F6B adds to it also I believe.

hiflyer
05-12-2015, 11:51 AM
I think it handles fine. Had a BMW K1200GT that was like a sail, and in highway traffic turbulence, the F6 handles way better than a bike with a fork mounted fairing such as an electra glide or a victory.

edgeman55
05-12-2015, 12:07 PM
A belly pan will help.

+1.I ride in the Northern Nevada high desert and wind is something we deal with more often then not.I can't explain why it helps but it did on my F6B along with the peace of mind that the bottom of the engine is protected.

stevenolts
05-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Does the belly pan really help?
I was thinking of getting one to protect the engine anyway. Are they hard to take of to change the oil?
Steve

hiflyer
05-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Does the belly pan really help?
I was thinking of getting one to protect the engine anyway. Are they hard to take of to change the oil?
Steve

Even if it's in my mind, it helps in the wind. If you get the right belly pan, the front part is easily removable for oil changes. It is attached with dzus fasteners and I use a dime to release them. 5 seconds max. You won't be sorry.

ths61
05-12-2015, 07:01 PM

Steve

Have you adjusted the preload on your rear shock ?

grendl
05-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Mine does ok most of the time,but I have been caught out in a side gust a couple of times. Thinking to try the belly pan as I have seen countless times on this forum that it helps along with the underside protection..

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 08:07 PM
hifllyer,
What exact belly pan do you have?

BIGLRY
05-12-2015, 08:11 PM
I think it handles fine. the F6 handles way better than a bike with a fork mounted fairing such as an electra glide or a victory.I agree 100% although with me, 400lb on a 700lb+ scoot, I have over 1/2 ton of rolling mass, it takes a really big wind to effect me and the F6B.:icon_mrgreen:

hiflyer
05-12-2015, 08:20 PM
hifllyer,
What exact belly pan do you have?

This one.

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Honda-Goldwing-Stainless-Vented/dp/B00A57ZOIG

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 08:34 PM
Thank you.
Was it difficult to install?

BIGLRY
05-12-2015, 08:48 PM
This one.

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Honda-Goldwing-Stainless-Vented/dp/B00A57ZOIG:yes: Yep, I run the same one, easy to install and ya got to love the dzus fasteners for quick accesses to the oil filter:icon_biggrin:

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 08:50 PM
I have to look underneath to figure out how the dzus fasteners hold it up.

hiflyer
05-12-2015, 09:01 PM

They don't . The front piece is dzussed to the main part. The main part uses existing bolts. Only the front piece is removed to change oil

BIGLRY
05-12-2015, 09:01 PM
They don't, the dzus fasteners only hold the removable front part of the two piece belly pan covering the oil filter on. Lower OEM tupperware nuts hold the belly pan on.
Tip: wear leather glove when installing the SS belly pan it has sharp edges and can cut you very easy(don't ask).:cus:

flat6bagger
05-12-2015, 09:12 PM
That makes sense.
Thanks for the explanation guys.

hiflyer
05-12-2015, 09:15 PM
They don't, the dzus fasteners only hold the removable front part of the two piece belly pan covering the oil filter on. Lower OEM tupperware nuts hold the belly pan on.
Tip: wear leather glove when installing the SS belly pan it has sharp edges and can cut you very easy(don't ask).:cus:

I forgot about that Mr. Big, those edges are sharp!

shooter
05-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Speed up a little. It cuts the wind better. Mine seems fine. No different than any other bike. I think better than my 9.

bobbyf6b
05-12-2015, 10:33 PM
:yes: Yep, I run the same one, easy to install and ya got to love the dzus fasteners for quick accesses to the oil filter:icon_biggrin:

Ah, those are sweet. I removed my pan when the screws stripped out. Think I can find those fasteners at ACE?

srt8-in-largo
05-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Yup... it blows me around a bit more than I expected for as heavy as the bike is... but I guess if it can blow cars and big trucks around, a motorcycle is no match. Although you may need to correct for the wind, it should never feel unsettled or unstable.

I have yet to wrap my mind around how a belly pan helps, but I accept the fact that wind dynamics are extremely complex. When wind blows around skyscrapers, it's not so much the direct force of the wind that causes them to oscillate back and forth, it's the pressure differential created by eddy currents. I'd love to see the F6 in wind tunnel testing both with and without a belly pan.

srt8-in-largo
05-12-2015, 10:46 PM
Ah, those are sweet. I removed my pan when the screws stripped out. Think I can find those fasteners at ACE?

Depends on your ACE; unlike Lowes or Home Depot I believe each one can be different.

Of course... the internet will have any form of these that you can dream of :icon_biggrin:

http://www.southco.com/en-us/product/hierarchy.html?hid=7345

http://www.mcmaster.com/#quarter-turn-captive-panel-fasteners/=x5npqd

flat6bagger
05-13-2015, 06:39 AM
I am with srt8 on how the belly pan helps in wind.
I am looking into the pan more for engine protection.
It is semi tire blowing season starting up here.
I have seen cars hitting the carcasses of the tires several times already.
Hopefully I will never run over one.
More importantly if I do,I hope I can keep the bike on two wheels.:icon_biggrin:

shooter
05-13-2015, 06:47 AM
I am with srt8 on how the belly pan helps in wind.
I am looking into the pan more for engine protection.
It is semi tire blowing season starting up here.
I have seen cars hitting the carcasses of the tires several times already.
Hopefully I will never run over one.
More importantly if I do,I hope I can keep the bike on two wheels.:icon_biggrin:

+1