PDA

View Full Version : Purple Loctite

seadog
05-12-2015, 09:24 AM
I am installing these Dan Pepper Titanium Peg Savers and the company is calling for purple Loctite, Called all around the area and got the same answer, "never heard of it". I know that purple is a low strength and wondered if I could use green for an alternative substitute

hiflyer
05-12-2015, 09:27 AM
I am installing these Dan Pepper Titanium Peg Savers and the company is calling for purple Loctite, Called all around the area and got the same answer, "never heard of it". I know that purple is a low strength and wondered if I could use green for an alternative substitute

I use blue on everything.

Hornblower
05-12-2015, 10:08 AM
I use blue on everything.

:yes:, blue is all you need.

seadog
05-12-2015, 10:18 AM
:yes:, blue is all you need.
I was wondering why they would call for something so obscure no one has it. I had never hear of purple Loctite either, as everyone know red, blue, green and I guess the purple has less strength than the green.
Thanks guys, Blue it is, much easier to get hold of in my neck of the woods.:clap2:

bobbyf6b
05-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Mix red and blue, you get purple. :icon_biggrin:

Blue is fine. :biggthumpup:

Mastergunny
05-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Blue is the medium strength #242 and used probably 80% of the time for threadlock.

Red is the high strength #271 and requires heat to de-bond (or a big big extension and risk of breaking the bolt.)

Both are used as thread lock and not as epoxies. Loctite does make a lot of materials so it depends on the application.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml

BIGLRY
05-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Purple Loctite cures soft and is thick, not as runny as the blue and why it is sometimes recommended so you don't get it all over the place. I got mine off the local air force base when working a construction job there. Just for info the green has a consistency just like water and is good for aluminum it will penetrate threads after the fasteners have been assembled with a slow cure time. As noted in the above posts the blue is the most commonly used and the longer curing and much stronger red is great for bearings or sleeves on a shaft or fasteners that you will never ever take apart. Plan on using heat if disassembling stuff that has been put together with red Loctite:301:

stroguy
05-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Why is blue in a red bottle?