PDA

View Full Version : Driver's Backrest for stock seat - Utopia vs Smart Mount

CheesyRider
05-14-2015, 10:41 AM
I'm planning to install a backrest. I was thinking I'd go with the Smart Mount because it costs less and looks better. But, if the Utopia is better, I can get over the looks. There are very few reviews out there. What do you have and do you like it? Are there any other options for use with the stock seat? Also, pics would be much appreciated. Thanks!

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/021/451/original.png?1420490970
http://wingstuff.com/products/35063-utopia-driver-backrest-for-f6b?from_search=1

http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/main_image/000/023/366/original.png?1386279724
http://wingstuff.com/products/35497-smart-mount-backrest-for-the-honda-f6b?context=backrests

Navvet
05-14-2015, 11:03 AM
My brother has had one for several years. I was so impressed with it I put one on my F6B and my wife's Shadow. We all love them, super comfortable.

Best of all, great people to work with.

ths61
05-14-2015, 12:21 PM
+1 on the Utopia. My old one has been reincarnated and is now serving its second life as the passenger backrest on the F6B.

coachk
05-14-2015, 01:00 PM
I've got the Utopia...I like it, but it does sit a little high on my back and I've already cut the post down a bit...was gonna try and figure out a way to move it down some more this afternoon!

okf6b
05-14-2015, 02:38 PM
I had a Utopia on my GL1800 and liked it. On my F6B I went with the Smart Mount because it matches the OEM passenger backrest better. After putting a few hundred miles on the Smart Mount, I have absolutely no complaints.

flat6bagger
05-14-2015, 02:43 PM
How do you keep water from soaking into the seat padding with either one of them?
I know they have cover things,but it would be impossible to be water tight I would think.

hiflyer
05-14-2015, 06:56 PM
I bought the Utopia before the smart mount came out, hated the look and feel. it was too big, so I took the pad from a HD backrest I had sitting in the garage and mounted it to the Utopia hardware. If I were buying, it would be the smart mount.

CheesyRider
05-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Hiflyer, that Utopia looks really good with the HD backrest.

Does anyone have photos of an unaltered Utopia on their bike?

CheesyRider
05-16-2015, 11:48 AM
I found a couple Utopia pics online:

http://s15.postimg.org/om1dmid7b/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/om1dmid7b/)

http://s15.postimg.org/eap0tulhz/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/eap0tulhz/)

It actually looks pretty good to me, but I think I'll go with the Smart Mount. I'm going to wait until Memorial Weekend to order in case there are any sales.

flat6bagger
05-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Ok,still no one has answered my question.
How do you keep water from seeping past the backrest and not soaking the seat foam?

hiflyer
05-17-2015, 09:02 AM
How do you keep water from seeping past the backrest and not soaking the seat foam?

I don't, and it doesn't. Even with the backrest. The only way to get water in there is to force it.

flat6bagger
05-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Thanks hiflyer!
I hesitated buying a backrest that you have to cut the seat because I didn't understand how it could possible seal enough to not let water get into the foam.
I like the smart mount a ton better.
The looks,style,everything about it.
I had the Utopia backrest on my Royal Star Venture.
I always felt it just didn't look like it belonged on the motorcycle,but was a nice backrest.
They don't seem to care if their backrests look like the seats on the motorcycle they are designed for.
To me it is the "one size fits all" mentality.
That alone will keep me from buying one from them.

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-17-2015, 11:24 AM
I have the Smart Mount and think it was the key mod to the correct ergonomics, fitting me to the bike or bike to me.
I did a install write up somewhere and there are tons of pics in my gallery link below. About to order one for a friend with a new 6.
Jim

Nibelunge
05-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Hi,

Ordered show chrome, Utopia seems to large to me, don't like how it looks.

Had Utopia on the wing and very happy. But here it's a question of optic. Will report.

Regards
Alex

CheesyRider
05-24-2015, 10:28 AM
I just ordered the Show Chrome Smart Mount from site sponsor Cruiser Customizing. (http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/smart-mount-driver-backrest-honda-gl1800-f6b-models-13-and-newer/part/BBP-52-832) It's on sale right now for $159.99 with your choice of free shipping (promo code SHIP99) or a $15 gift certificate (promo code CC3). I hope I like it!

CheesyRider
05-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Well, I installed the Smart Mount and ended up hating it. Even adjusted back as far as possible, I felt pushed too far forward. It gave me that same cramped feeling I had on the full Goldwing. If I could have had it back one more inch, I probably would have liked it. Look for it in the classified section soon.

In related news, I managed to cut my seat in the wrong place. So, I have two slits. Luckily, I already had a spare stock seat. I must have some how known this would happen. Look for a damaged seat in the classified section soon.

On the bright side, riding weather for tomorrow looks great!

toy_collector
05-30-2015, 01:51 PM
Check out the thread I started about the smart mount driver backrest modification. I think you may be able to get it more comfortable. I don't know how to copy and paste the thread address on my phone but you should be able to find it under my threads.

Fla_rider
06-01-2015, 08:54 PM
Well, I installed the Smart Mount and ended up hating it. Even adjusted back as far as possible, I felt pushed too far forward. It gave me that same cramped feeling I had on the full Goldwing. If I could have had it back one more inch, I probably would have liked it. Look for it in the classified section soon.

In related news, I managed to cut my seat in the wrong place. So, I have two slits. Luckily, I already had a spare stock seat. I must have some how known this would happen. Look for a damaged seat in the classified section soon.

On the bright side, riding weather for tomorrow looks great!

You know I've thought of adding one but I like the freedom of sliding back to the rise.

CheesyRider
06-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Check out the thread I started about the smart mount driver backrest modification. I think you may be able to get it more comfortable. I don't know how to copy and paste the thread address on my phone but you should be able to find it under my threads.

Thanks, I found the info. But, I decided to sell the backrest instead of modifying it. It's on its way to a forum member as I type.

I'm thinking of trying something like this if I get the itch to try a backrest again:
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/4143_300.jpg http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/images/4143_3.jpg
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/kuryakyn-tombstone-backrest-bag-black/part/KY-4143
That particular one comes with backrest pads in three different thicknesses. I'll have to do some measuring to see if it would work for me. After my experience with the Smart Mount, I realized that I sit very far back in the saddle. Before I order anything, I'll put on my riding jacket and have my wife measure how much space is behind me. Lucky for me, she rides her own bike, so I don't have to worry about passenger accommodations.

TailGunner
06-04-2015, 11:01 PM
This question is for the passenger seat, I just got my smart mount and really? Just two screw hold the pad, has anyone had a problem with that?

Travelor
06-05-2015, 11:10 AM
I have the Utopia, but have not been overly impressed with the quality. For one thing, the bolts that secure it to the seat pan are only 1/4". After a trip up to Lake Superior last fall, I noticed that the seat seemed to be loose. Inspection revealed that the bolts had both sheared off, probably from bumpy roads. After removing the broken off portions, I drilled and tapped the mount for 5/16" high strength bolts and all seems to be good. The second issue is that the mount on the pad itself was off center, and no way to move it. I had to make a wider bracket and use washers on one side to move the pad back to a centered position.

So a little re-engineering and it works well, wouldn't ride without it.

Stone Laker
06-05-2015, 03:38 PM
The pad only needs two screws because it has a steel pan inside the pad that they fasten through.

flat6bagger
08-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Any long time users of the smart mount that dont feel cramped?
I was going to install a Utopia,but cant get past the looks.
Seems only two options for rider backrests.

Doug

Donncat
08-06-2015, 08:12 PM
I just put the Utopia on and am "satisfied" with it. I agree with others that it might be a little big. I came from a Mustang seat on an older Valkyrie that I liked alot. I also agree I would like it a little lower so I plan to see about a little mod to lower it a little. I am getting used to it but still want to try it lower. I think it looks good with my show chrome rear backrest
I woould add a PIC but I'm not smart enough to do it:banghead:

Spewey Griffin
08-07-2015, 03:54 AM
I also installed the Smart Mount and have since taken it off due to being cramped and the backrest irritating my back. When I look at myself in shop windows (as you do :icon_cool: ) I look like I'm sitting too far forward. I'm 6' and had it mounted to it's furtherest 'back' position. I'm thinking of a way to mount it to my MP3 Rear Rack as a pillion rest. I was happy with the quality and match for the materials to the Stock seat.

dickiedeals
08-12-2015, 06:37 PM

Utopia provides a thick vinyl plastic gasket with adheasive and velcro. When the backrest is removed the cover snaps over the hole and seals it as well.. Hard to explain and I can't find any photos on file. Actually keeps it dry...............Dickie

flat6bagger
08-12-2015, 06:40 PM
I decided to not install any backrest.
I can not bring myself to slicing a seat.
I also think either in rain,washing?etc. it would be impossible to totally keep water out of the foam.

Doug

dickiedeals
08-13-2015, 05:44 PM
I decided to not install any backrest.
I can not bring myself to slicing a seat.
I also think either in rain,washing?etc. it would be impossible to totally keep water out of the foam.

Doug

With my back problems I have to have a back rest...Lol. The slicing is the easy part.. I cut into my Mustang seat and converted a Utopia to fit......................Dickie

flat6bagger
08-13-2015, 05:53 PM
You would think some company would come up with a backrest that does not have to have the seat sliced to install it.

Doug

dickiedeals
08-13-2015, 05:59 PM
You would think some company would come up with a backrest that does not have to have the seat sliced to install it.

Doug

Doug I forgot to say I sealed around the post with Black 3m sealant Adhesive, though the Mustang leaks through the seams when it rains. Mustang say's thats the nature of the beast.......Dickie

Doug44
09-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Hiflyer, that Utopia looks really good with the HD backrest.

Does anyone have photos of an unaltered Utopia on their bike?

Here you go fresh install last week totally stock

Santa
11-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Installed my new Show Chrome drivers backrest on Thursday, great improvement
For my "old Guy Back". Now have used both, installation about the same, back relief
About the same, don't. See much difference in either.:clap2::clap2::yes::yes:

Dirtstiff's F6B
11-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Any long time users of the smart mount that dont feel cramped?
I was going to install a Utopia,but cant get past the looks.
Seems only two options for rider backrests.

Doug

Absolutely,
The pics I see of other's mounted, look to be much forward than the back of the driver seat
I can almost lay a straight edge at the angle of the back of the driver seat and match my backrest pad angle
I'm extremely happy with the comfort of mine. It allows me to lean back not pushing me forward.
Perhaps my mounting attack angle is different, but just right.
Can't post a pick by phone but hit the link below for pics if you like.
Jim

Dirtstiff's F6B
12-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Absolutely,
The pics I see of other's mounted, look to be much forward than the back of the driver seat
I can almost lay a straight edge at the angle of the back of the driver seat and match my backrest pad angle
I'm extremely happy with the comfort of mine. It allows me to lean back not pushing me forward.
Perhaps my mounting attack angle is different, but just right.
Can't post a pick by phone but hit the link below for pics if you like.
Jim

Also, the kit comes with an adhesive grommet to cover the hole in the seat where a slit has been made. It doesn't take on any moisture.
Jim

2015F6B
01-08-2016, 08:10 AM
I went with the Smart Mount backrest with modifications. In "out of the box" configuration" and mounted per the instructions (there's really only one correct way), this backrest was too high (even in it's lowest setting) and too far rearward. As I needed more support in the lumbar area I did the modifications as seen in the attached pics. Took many attempts to get it perfect but after it was all said and done, it's great. This isn't a "one size fits all" backrest and as with many other things I had to modify it to fit my 6'2", 220lb body.

As seen, to move it forward, I made a spacer from 1" square aluminum tube, filled with 5 min epoxy for strength. Then, to get it low enough, I ended up turning the supplied bracket upside down. My lumbar area is now fully supported and it's good for an all day ride.

98valk
01-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Nice clean job!

It looks like it is at a comfortable height to me. Enjoy!

DMAGOLDRDR
01-08-2016, 09:02 PM
In case anyone wants a Sock Seat with a Utopia Backrest already installed, I have one in the classified section for sale.