PDA

View Full Version : Insurance pricing

zeus661
05-14-2015, 11:28 AM
So I had Progressive for over 15 years on my Valkyrie. I think it started out around $400 and over the years came down to about $240. In mid 2014 I traded it for new 2013 F6B. My insurance on it was about $500 through Progressive. In September of 2014 I had an accident, not ticketed, and the bike required $10k in repairs. Recently got my renewal and the discount amount if I pay in full is $775.

My house and cars are insured through Allstate. I called Allstate to see about adding my F6B. After providing all the information and them running several checks I now pay less than $300 yearly.

It pays to shop around.

valkmc
05-14-2015, 11:45 AM
So I had Progressive for over 15 years on my Valkyrie. I think it started out around $400 and over the years came down to about $240. In mid 2014 I traded it for new 2013 F6B. My insurance on it was about $500 through Progressive. In September of 2014 I had an accident, not ticketed, and the bike required $10k in repairs. Recently got my renewal and the discount amount if I pay in full is $775.

My house and cars are insured through Allstate. I called Allstate to see about adding my F6B. After providing all the information and them running several checks I now pay less than $300 yearly.

It pays to shop around.

Similar story. I had progressive for 12 years on my 98 Valk about $300 a year, got a C-14 and it went to $400 a year. Dropped the C-14 at 10 MPH and my rate went to $700. No ticket but $3800 in damages. So I shopped around and called a bunch of companies, not much different. Finally I called my credit union because they have a service that shops for Insurance for their customers. Quaram I think is the name of the service. They got insurance for me for $400 and guess who it was through, Progressive!!! So I bought the policy through Quaram and cancelled through progressive. Same coverage and the policy I received in the mail is from Progressive. Who knows how these companies work but I will take the $300 per year!

wjduke
05-14-2015, 01:43 PM

It pays to shop around.

Similar story. I had progressive for 12 years on my 98 Valk about $300 a year, got a C-14 and it went to $400 a year. Dropped the C-14 at 10 MPH and my rate went to $700. No ticket but $3800 in damages. So I shopped around and called a bunch of companies, not much different. Finally I called my credit union because they have a service that shops for Insurance for their customers. Quaram I think is the name of the service. They got insurance for me for $400 and guess who it was through, Progressive!!! So I bought the policy through Quaram and cancelled through progressive. Same coverage and the policy I received in the mail is from Progressive. Who knows how these companies work but I will take the $300 per year!
This is similar to me also. I had Progressive, got hit last year broadside, cager got ticketed and I'm waiting to settle with them on an under insured other driver situation. They paid off my totaled bike right away, but this process isn't so fast. Guess I should expect a hefty new quote when I do look around again....wondered about this...thanks for sharing.

2bikemike
05-14-2015, 02:18 PM
It is worth shopping around every couple years and sometimes paying a little more for a GOOD broker is worth it. A couple years ago a guy crossed the lines took the mirror off my truck (fortunatly that was the only damage) however never stopped I called 911 and followed him until he stopped with the influence of some red lights and sirens. Turned out he had been in trouble on this road beforeand it was a company truck. The owner paid for my repairs out of pocket but because there was a police report my insurance marked it as an accident and was going to up my rate 600.00 a year even though they didn't pay out anything. Long story short my broker caught this and called me to confirm there was no claim and subsequently kept me at the lower rate as well as periodicly shops better rates as well.

opas ride
05-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Next to Health Care, especially if your over 70, car/motorcycle insurance is one of the biggest "rip-offs" in our country...Insurance companies need to be more heavily regulated and fined for mis-conduct and taking advantage of those that need insurance...Michigan has the highest rates in the country because of a "bull-shit" no fault law that requires each policy holder to pay into a stupid fund that has over $18 billion currently stashed and no one can touch the money!!Meanwhile we drive on some of the worst roads in the country...and if your over 65 and on Medicare along with private insurance...WATCH-OUT!!!...Since the "Idiot" in the White House dreamed up his "moronic" Obamacare Plan my health care insurance has gone up 75%.....let alone the ridiculous amounts I pay for 2 cars,motorcycle and home policies....Insurance companies "suck"....BTW check the salaries and stock options of the CEO's that run these corrupt companies......Done with my rant......Ride safe

F6B1911
05-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Next to Health Care, especially if your over 70, car/motorcycle insurance is one of the biggest "rip-offs" in our country...Insurance companies need to be more heavily regulated and fined for mis-conduct and taking advantage of those that need insurance...Michigan has the highest rates in the country because of a "bull-shit" no fault law that requires each policy holder to pay into a stupid fund that has over $18 billion currently stashed and no one can touch the money!!Meanwhile we drive on some of the worst roads in the country...and if your over 65 and on Medicare along with private insurance...WATCH-OUT!!!...Since the "Idiot" in the White House dreamed up his "moronic" Obamacare Plan my health care insurance has gone up 75%.....let alone the ridiculous amounts I pay for 2 cars,motorcycle and home policies....Insurance companies "suck"....BTW check the salaries and stock options of the CEO's that run these corrupt companies......Done with my rant......Ride safe

Yep, and they're trying to change the no-fault law in Michigan so the insurance companies can get all that money back, then place any health claims on obamacare.
Forget the roads, they won't fix them in my lifetime and I'm a bit younger than you are.
I don't think Michigan public servants serve the public anymore.

Old Ryder
05-14-2015, 05:33 PM
My last ticket--1986 -- 51 in a 40 zone. My last accident was 1977.

State Farm-- $104 per month
Liberty Mutual-- $102 per month
Allstate-- $48 per month
Progressive-- $37 per month

I do shop around---as you can tell.

opas ride
05-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Yep, and they're trying to change the no-fault law in Michigan so the insurance companies can get all that money back, then place any health claims on obamacare.
Forget the roads, they won't fix them in my lifetime and I'm a bit younger than you are.
I don't think Michigan public servants serve the public anymore.
Your right on my friend...Public servants, that we supposedly elect to serve us, only serve themselves and their "huge" egos anymore. Who or whatever gives them the most money is all they care about...Our entire political system in this country has become nothing more than a bunch of "greedy self serving assholes" that only care about their big pensions, free health care, people to drive them around in cars they don't pay for in any way...etc. etc. Voting has become a joke and almost a waste of time!!!.....Hopefully we have some nice weather this summer and can take a few rides to forget about how lousy our political system has become.....Ride safe

ratsass
05-14-2015, 08:19 PM
I have GEICO for my 2000 Valkyrie Interstate (soon to be traded at Honda of Russellville for a 2015 F6BD).
Premium BEFORE someone knocked it over while it was parked was $244 with $250 deductible. AFTER the settlement of $2,650 the new premium is $214. Go figure!

Limoles
05-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Your right on my friend...Public servants, that we supposedly elect to serve us, only serve themselves and their "huge" egos anymore. Who or whatever gives them the most money is all they care about...Our entire political system in this country has become nothing more than a bunch of "greedy self serving assholes" that only care about their big pensions, free health care, people to drive them around in cars they don't pay for in any way...etc. etc. Voting has become a joke and almost a waste of time!!!.....Hopefully we have some nice weather this summer and can take a few rides to forget about how lousy our political system has become.....Ride safe

It sound like most of my confessions , but weren't they found as an "anti-American" ? Be careful , because you can be sent OUT of this country too . Don't give up and try to vote again , but this time more carefully .

hiflyer
05-14-2015, 11:17 PM
My last ticket--1986 -- 51 in a 40 zone. My last accident was 1977.

State Farm-- $104 per month
Liberty Mutual-- $102 per month
Allstate-- $48 per month
Progressive-- $37 per month

I do shop around---as you can tell.

What kind of coverage? I think I'm getting bent over.

fxdl2051
05-15-2015, 12:27 AM
The Gecko gives discounts for Rider Safety Courses and car/bike combo policies. They always treated me right and were priced better than Progressive for me anyways. Had a really bad experience with Allstate and wouldn't go near them again.

Limoles
05-15-2015, 12:39 AM
Rider is my best . Inexpensive with many options to cover .

flat6bagger
05-15-2015, 07:02 AM
I find it hard to believe that anyone with an accident on their record and going with Allstate is getting insurance for under $300 per year.
I have Allstate.
I have no accidents or tickets and my credit is exceptional(something all insurance companies use as a major part of setting rates)
I have full coverage with $500 deductible and mine is over $500/year.
The original poster never says the particulars of his coverage.
Is it covered under "home owner" policy or vehicle policy?
What deductible?
Full coverage?
I am not calling anyone a liar,I am just wanting more info to compare apples to apples.
Something just doesn't sound correct.

wjduke
05-15-2015, 07:39 AM
I find it hard to believe that anyone with an accident on their record and going with Allstate is getting insurance for under $300 per year.
I have Allstate.
I have no accidents or tickets and my credit is exceptional(something all insurance companies use as a major part of setting rates)
What deductible?
Full coverage?
I am not calling anyone a liar,I am just wanting more info to compare apples to apples.
Being from New England, I know from experience that rates vary widely state to state. The south and northwest seem to score the best rates. We take it royally without even a kiss.

bobo
05-15-2015, 07:49 AM
Just want to let you guys know in ontario canada i am paying $1242.00 per year no tickets clean driving recored this is for full coverage, we also have no fault insurance.:no::no:

53driver
05-15-2015, 08:26 AM
States make the difference. In PA, you can get "Full tort" coverage, or not.
Full tort is more expensive.
$600 a year through USAA's Progressive partnership.
(no ticket since 1987; no mishaps that were not clearly the other guy's fault - ever.)

opas ride
05-15-2015, 10:00 AM
I am 75 years old, live in Michigan, no tickets or accidents in several years, and I pay about $560 a year for coverage with State Farm...It is tied into my policies with the cars and house..I think it is $500 deductible and full coverage under the laws in Mich....I, like some others on the board, have a little difficulty in believing some of the prices I am reading on this thread...I think we are sometimes comparing "apples with oranges"...Coverage varies a lot from state to state and some companies quote you a low rate and sell you the "moon" until you try to make a claim....Then the "real truth comes out"....Check your coverage very carefully!!!....Ride safe..

valkmc
05-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I am 75 years old, live in Michigan, no tickets or accidents in several years, and I pay about $560 a year for coverage with State Farm...It is tied into my policies with the cars and house..I think it is $500 deductible and full coverage under the laws in Mich....I, like some others on the board, have a little difficulty in believing some of the prices I am reading on this thread...I think we are sometimes comparing "apples with oranges"...Coverage varies a lot from state to state and some companies quote you a low rate and sell you the "moon" until you try to make a claim....Then the "real truth comes out"....Check your coverage very carefully!!!....Ride safe..

It is also based on stats for accidents in your area. My son has a Ford Escape, while living in Ocala we paid $800 per year for full coverage. (22 years old). He goes to college in Jax fl. We got his new policy this week $1100 per year so I call Mercury Ins and ask why. Zip Code change, more accidents in Jax. Kind of sucks, he did nothing wrong!!

wjduke
05-15-2015, 10:55 AM
It is also based on stats for accidents in your area. My son has a Ford Escape, while living in Ocala we paid $800 per year for full coverage. (22 years old). He goes to college in Jax fl. We got his new policy this week $1100 per year so I call Mercury Ins and ask why. Zip Code change, more accidents in Jax. Kind of sucks, he did nothing wrong!!
It's town to town here too....the city is much more expensive than the suburbs. I live in the city, garaged it in a small town next door...my insurance co. thought I was lying and threatened me. I changed companies.

zeus661
05-15-2015, 11:21 AM
I have Allstate.
What deductible?
Full coverage?

Sure sounds like you are calling me a liar but you know what? I don't care what you think. I was just making a comment. Why don't you post what your coverage is and we can go from there. I have been buying insurance for almost 40 years and I feel I know what I am doing.

opas ride
05-15-2015, 11:38 AM
As I posted in an earlier thread...Insurance is a very "hot and debatable subject as each state has its own laws and requirements...It is almost, if not totally, impossible to find two people on this board with the exact same insurance premiums period!!...Buy what your comfortable with and "pay the piper" as they say and hope all goes well with no accidents or tickets...BTW..I seriously doubt anyone is intentionally calling anyone a "liar", just stating what they have in their bag!!....Ride safe...

RLatt
05-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Here is why no two quotes will be the same. Insurance companies use the following, and more - to rate an automobile / motorcycle insurance policy:

Your driving record, and of others in the household, zip code and sub-zip code, if you rent or own your home, if you have a motorcycle endorsement, if you have take a driver safety class, years driving a motorcycle, age, credit score, insurance score - (cancellations, lapse), occupation, claims - (at fault, not at fault, comprehensive), education level, the vehicles' history - (accidents, salvage title, etc), length of time insured with current company, state laws for where you live, catastrophic claim experience of the company.......on and on.

If you guessed that I have been an insurance agent, you would be correct.

opas ride
05-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Here is why no two quotes will be the same. Insurance companies use the following, and more - to rate an automobile / motorcycle insurance policy:

Your driving record, and of others in the household, zip code and sub-zip code, if you rent or own your home, if you have a motorcycle endorsement, if you have take a driver safety class, years driving a motorcycle, age, credit score, insurance score - (cancellations, lapse), occupation, claims - (at fault, not at fault, comprehensive), education level, the vehicles' history - (accidents, salvage title, etc), length of time insured with current company, state laws for where you live, catastrophic claim experience of the company.......on and on.

+1 and thanks for the correct info.......

RLatt
05-15-2015, 12:52 PM
+1 and thanks for the correct info.......

You are welcome. And, I totally agree with what you stated earlier in this thread about ObamaCare. It will prove to be one of the worst laws in the history of this country. We have yet to see the extent of the damage to our economy and society, that it will cause.

flat6bagger
05-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Zeus,
Take it any way you like.
I am not calling you a liar.
I am just amazed that we have the same insurance company and the price is so much different.
Because of this I am calling my agent Monday.
I want to hear his explanation.

Old Ryder
05-15-2015, 01:56 PM
What kind of coverage? I think I'm getting bent over.

$50,000 each person/$100,000 per accident under/uninsured motorist---same figures for libility-- $3000 in accessory coverage--$100 towing--$500 deductible on the collision.

BTW--- I have learned a LOT about the "internet" companies the hard way. I WILL NEVER PAY A PENNY TO THE LIZZARD COMPANY!!!!!! If you are their client, they will take care of you. If one of their clients hits you and they are at fault, they are quick to take care of your damaged vehicle. HOWEVER-----If their client hits you and you go to the hospital, you better get a team of lawyers. I will just keep it at that.

Old Ryder
05-15-2015, 04:38 PM

Where you live makes a ton of difference. I have friends up north in Mass and they pay more on their car insurance than their car is worth over a 2 year period. The comment about Jacksonville, Fl is true also as well as a persons driving record.

shooter
05-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Guys I went from 800 for two bikes full coverage to 450 for the same coverage from Allstate. I had allied before. 450 is not bad for my 9 and my B.

shooter
05-15-2015, 09:24 PM
Oh and I haven't read the whole thread but your credit rating plays a big part in your premium.

opas ride
05-15-2015, 09:26 PM
Guys I went from 800 for two bikes full coverage to 450 for the same coverage from Allstate. I had allied before. 450 is not bad for my 9 and my B.
As said on earlier posts, coverage varies from state to state..Your rate is great, but try and get it in Michigan!!...Would cost you over twice the amount you pay in MO.....Ride safe

shooter
05-15-2015, 09:46 PM
You're right Opas. I love far enough away from St Louis that my rates are a lot better.