PDA

View Full Version : What’s One Of Your Favorite Motorcycle Memories?

WingStuff
05-14-2015, 05:45 PM
http://wingstuffblog.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/motorcycle-memories.png

"One of my favorite motorcycle memories will always be the very first time I rode a motorcycle as a kid. You see, I began dreaming of owning and riding a motorcycle at the tender age of 14..." - Rick

Read Rick’s full story HERE: http://wingstuff.com/blog_detail/65923

We forget many things in life, don’t we? But for those of us who ride, there are certain memories with our bikes that will stay with us forever. So what about you? What's one of your favorite motorcycle memories?

ratsass
05-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Mine was going 2 up with luggage from Plymouth, Massachusetts to Orlando, Florida on my 1969 CB-750 in 1971. We wanted to be the first to the inaugural year at Disney World. We left in late November and rode back in mid-December. Snow from Connecticut to Plymouth on the ride home! We split up the next summer. She said it was either her or the motorcycle! Still miss her but a man has to have his priorities.

USMARINE
05-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Greetings,

Upon my retirement from the service the base commanding officer (CO) of Naval air Station Atlanta let me and a few of my buddies ride as fast as we wanted. Speeds up to 110 plus on base; of course this was all done on the air stations runway, approximately 10,000 feet long. We did this for about an hour, had a BLAST. At that time I owned a 2002 1800 VTX R

bobbyf6b
05-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Mine was my first date with my wife. Took her for her first motorcycle ride and when it got chilly she was holding me tight. That sealed the deal!

bobbyf6b
05-15-2015, 11:29 AM
We split up the next summer. She said it was either her or the motorcycle! Still miss her but a man has to have his priorities.

:biggthumpup:

coachk
05-15-2015, 02:09 PM
My favorite is my Grandpa taking me out to a small rural airport and teaching me to ride his old Yamaha 225 up and down the grass runway...don't know how many miles I rode around out there, but he would just watch and smile the whole time...great memories!! Good topic!!

WingStuff
05-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Mine was going 2 up with luggage from Plymouth, Massachusetts to Orlando, Florida on my 1969 CB-750 in 1971. We wanted to be the first to the inaugural year at Disney World. We left in late November and rode back in mid-December. Snow from Connecticut to Plymouth on the ride home! We split up the next summer. She said it was either her or the motorcycle! Still miss her but a man has to have his priorities.

Sounds like a great trip. Bittersweet ending though 'gw-smiley'

fxdl2051
05-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Spending a week camping and exploring Cape Cod on a GS750. 2nd favorite, spending a week on Cape Cod with a KZ 650/Bingham sidecar rig.

Brian D
05-16-2015, 01:03 PM
I was about 8-10 yrs old. I don't remeber exactly my age but I was young I begged my dad to take me for a ride on my cousins bike. IT was a gpz1000. I remeber my dad saying hold on and cracking that throttle. I was hooked ever since!!! My mom would have flipped if she knew that ride even took place

Silverliner
05-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Mine would be the long weekend ride I took with my best friend and mentor, up highway 1 to Big Sur. He was like a father to me and it was the last long ride we ever took together. He passed away a few months after we got back. I will always remember when he hoped on the Stratoliner I had and gave it a hand full of throttle and dumped the clutch and did a 50 feet rolling burnout, he got off the bike with a grin and said "Damn my Vision won't do that."

Old Ryder
05-18-2015, 06:29 AM
Growing up in middle Ga in the 60's, I lived in the city of Macon, but I had a first cousin who was 3 years older than I was and they lived in the country--- AND I MEAN COUNTRY--- as in a well for water and true out house. He was too young for a drivers license, but back then it really didn't matter. I was in the 6th grade, which made me about 11 or 12 years old at the time. He had a Honda 50 and every chance I got to go spend the weekend with them, I was there and we were on his white Honda. He used to pretend he would close his eyes and drift to the edge of the road just to scare me. And I was just young and gullible enough to believe him. When we would get back to the house, it was Johnny Rivers on the phonograph--that was the only LP he had but we never got tired of it. After a few years, he traded it in for a Benelli 125-- way more power and a much bigger bike. Or so we thought. Funny now how a 125 seems very small when I remember it being a big bike back then. He sold his bike when he got a car and for about 40 years he did not ride. After a rare trip back home when my step father died, I saw him again and I was telling him about my Harleys and riding---and how he got me interested in motorcycles. Within a few weeks he is calling me telling me about his motorcycle-- a Honda 750 Shadow. LOL--I tell him that ain't no Harley and we laughed and laughed as he is a bit thrifty, as they say. Well no, he is just downright CHEAP!--- Anyway, he rides one cool Red Roadglide these days and I am the guy on the Honda. Go figure.

valkmc
05-18-2015, 10:46 AM
My fav memory is not about me or one of my rides, although I have tons of them and love to discuss them. I have one that always brings a small grin to my face when I think about it so I will relay it here:

Several years ago there was an annual get together at the Hilton in Ocala Fl. titled "Little Sturgis" It was mostly a Harley gathering but I would show up on my Valkyrie and enjoy the show. One night about mid-night my wife and I were about to leave when we witnessed a very funny incident. The Hilton has a huge circular drive, one way in one way out. I was attempting to pull out when an older HD broke down blocking the exit. In short order there were 6 or 7 bikes pulled up behind the rider and were trying to help him when I heard the distinct very loud exhaust of a sport bike coming into the long driveway. The rider pulled around the circle and stopped right behind me. He asked what was going on but had to shut off his bike to hear my response. At about the same time an older HD rider, full HD gear and seemingly perturbed at the breakdown and the noise of the sport bike yelled at the kid from a distance, What the f... kind of bike makes that kind of noise? The young man raises the shield of his full face helmet, raises up on two legs while still straddling the bike, looks around at the parking lot (full of HD's) and says the fastest one in this parking lot! Even some of the Harley guys watching the bike repair laughed out loud. The young guy then closed his visor, started around the circle the wrong way and left going the wrong way on one wheel making a hell of a lot of noise. You may have had to been there but at the time I thought it was funny and kind of summed up the whole HD vs Sport Bike thing.

Old Ryder
05-18-2015, 11:07 AM
My fav memory is not about me or one of my rides, although I have tons of them and love to discuss them. I have one that always brings a small grin to my face when I think about it so I will relay it here:

Several years ago there was an annual get together at the Hilton in Ocala Fl. titled "Little Sturgis" It was mostly a Harley gathering but I would show up on my Valkyrie and enjoy the show. One night about mid-night my wife and I were about to leave when we witnessed a very funny incident. The Hilton has a huge circular drive, one way in one way out. I was attempting to pull out when an older HD broke down blocking the exit. In short order there were 6 or 7 bikes pulled up behind the rider and were trying to help him when I heard the distinct very loud exhaust of a sport bike coming into the long driveway. The rider pulled around the circle and stopped right behind me. He asked what was going on but had to shut off his bike to hear my response. At about the same time an older HD rider, full HD gear and seemingly perturbed at the breakdown and the noise of the sport bike yelled at the kid from a distance, What the f... kind of bike makes that kind of noise? The young man raises the shield of his full face helmet, raises up on two legs while still straddling the bike, looks around at the parking lot (full of HD's) and says the fastest one in this parking lot! Even some of the Harley guys watching the bike repair laughed out loud. The young guy then closed his visor, started around the circle the wrong way and left going the wrong way on one wheel making a hell of a lot of noise. You may have had to been there but at the time I thought it was funny and kind of summed up the whole HD vs Sport Bike thing.

That story reminds me of a similar one. I was not there, but I heard about it,. I have a buddy--- I think we all know somebody like him who has a very sharp wit and always has to have the last word. Most of the time it is because nobody else has a response. He rides a Suzuki Bandit and was lined up with a bunch of our buddies--most on Harleys. One of the guys at a stoplight yells over to him "I would rather push my Harley than ride that rice burner."-- He yells back "I didn't know you had had a choice" and rides away on the back tire. I wish I could think that quick.

fl1madmax
05-20-2015, 08:07 AM
That story reminds me of a similar one. I was not there, but I heard about it,. I have a buddy--- I think we all know somebody like him who has a very sharp wit and always has to have the last word. Most of the time it is because nobody else has a response. He rides a Suzuki Bandit and was lined up with a bunch of our buddies--most on Harleys. One of the guys at a stoplight yells over to him "I would rather push my Harley than ride that rice burner."-- He yells back "I didn't know you had had a choice" and rides away on the back tire. I wish I could think that quick.

We started from Melbourne Florida and did the entire US, Sturgis, Washington, San Fran , camping every other night , 6 of us, we still meet every Wednesday night and have a few beers , were doing it again, next year, Less one , Don who passed from Cancer last year. I never laughed so hard my entire life, there's nothing like riding day after day with no Schedule.........Just Wind and friends !!!! Ride Safe JB