PDA

View Full Version : How many miles do you ride per day?

buckeyeken47
05-14-2015, 11:47 PM
I just purchased a new 2013 F6B from a dealer in Memphis. I will ride the bike home to Colorado Springs. 1100 miles. This is my first long bike ride so I'm trying to set reasonable goals and divide the trip into segments. A little advice would be greatly appreciated. I had an F4 shield installed so that should not be a concern.

Limoles
05-14-2015, 11:52 PM
No limits , until your rear got in flames .

hiflyer
05-15-2015, 12:05 AM
I just purchased a new 2013 F6B from a dealer in Memphis. I will ride the bike home to Colorado Springs. 1100 miles. This is my first long bike ride so I'm trying to set reasonable goals and divide the trip into segments. A little advice would be greatly appreciated. I had an F4 shield installed so that should not be a concern.

Don't set anything in stone. Ride 100 to 120 miles and stop. Gas up, pee, hydrate, stretch, and get back on and go. Try to limit your stops to 10 to 15 minutes max. You'll amaze yourself at how far you can go without wearing your self out.

DarkKnt
05-15-2015, 12:57 AM
...would be a very easy 2 days... I can ride 10 hours and still want to jump back on to go get a beer somewhere.. It eats miles, @ 60 mph, or 100 mph. Last summer I did several 3 day trips (2 overnights) and they were all 1500 - 2000 miles of secondary highway (twisties!), not interstate. And I'm not one of those "iron butt" weirdos... (no offense to you weirdos).

ths61
05-15-2015, 01:14 AM
The day I picked up my F6B, I rode @ 600 miles until I was too cold to continue. Grabbed a hotel room and late dinner and finished the trek in the morning.

Make sure you dress/pack accordingly.

wjduke
05-15-2015, 04:35 AM
Not to jack the thread, but is there a break in for these bikes? I'm reading this and you guys seem to get on and go and I like that. Indian has a 500 mile period where you can't rev over 3000 and have to vary speeds, then bring it in for service. Then they say you can let it rip.

Jimmytee
05-15-2015, 05:02 AM
Not to jack the thread, but is there a break in for these bikes? I'm reading this and you guys seem to get on and go and I like that. Indian has a 500 mile period where you can't rev over 3000 and have to vary speeds, then bring it in for service. Then they say you can let it rip.

4000 mile first oil change is what is called for.

Steve 0080
05-15-2015, 08:18 AM
500 a day is pretty easy riding... more if needed....

53driver
05-15-2015, 08:54 AM

Okay, between Memphis and CS, you have....Kansas.
It's just not going to be interesting.
Kansas City is always a cluster.
Concur with HiFlyer - don't set anything in stone - just have fun and stop when you get tired.
No sense "chasing a timeline."
Maybe heading to Wichita at Springfield (Hwy 44/400) and then RONing at Wichita would break up the trip and offer some site seeing.

Rode Daytona to Philly.
1000 miles
Left at 0600, arrived at 2045.
+9 to 14 over the limit.
Every 200 miles, fill her up, empty me out.
Would have been home by 1930 had it not been for the wreck on the 95/495 south of DC....
1000 miles in a day on this bike is easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

My sis lives in Monument - teaches at Zoomie Uni.
Safe travels.

flat6bagger
05-15-2015, 09:01 AM
I have/do ride long day rides when I can.(450-600 miles preferably alone on long trips)
That is for a different thread as to why.
Since you don't know how you are going to "feel" om this bike,I would not concern myself with mileage numbers concerning distance traveled.
If you set in your mind,"I need to go 120 miles between stops" for instance,you will fixate on this.
Depending on your mindset this can cause stress and anxiety.
Stress/anxiety causes fatigue.
Each time you travel that distance under stress it gets harder and harder when you are not feeling perfect.

Here is what I do:

Eat and drink something,clear my bladder as much as possible before I leave.

Let my body/mind dictate the distance.

If I have traveled 75 miles and keep thinking I need to stop,I do.

If I feel like going 200 miles,I do that also.

Unless it is for a "main meal" stop,I limit the stop to 15 minutes.

Eat a snack,use the bathroom and most importantly..stretch.

Try to stay away from sugary snacks as they will quickly wear off and cause drowsiness.

I carry "Pure Protein" bars that I buy at Walmart.
Relax and enjoy the ride.:icon_biggrin:

This may not be what others suggest.
It is just what I do.

53driver
05-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Here is what I do:
Try to stay away from sugary snacks as they will quickly wear off and cause drowsiness.

It is just what I do.

Great points - I should caveat my 1000 mile experience with "I was trying to do a 1000 miles in one day just to see." I was pleasantly amused with how good I felt.
Yes to stretching, yes to protein bars, yes to hydrating, yes to a nice 'main meal' stop.
Like we listen to our bikes, listen to your body's signals.
Safe arrival - regardless of when - is the desired endstate.

GNW
05-16-2015, 08:15 AM
After years of ridin'em hard and putt'in up wet, my wife and I don't do that any more.
Normal days ride local, we put in around 250-300.
Enjoy the country side and stop a lot.
Makes it fun now.
No local cycle club riding anymore. Too much waiting on other folks to get their sh _ _ together when you want to RIDE.

F6B1911
05-16-2015, 08:18 AM
.... you could make the maiden voyage an Iron Butt?

opas ride
05-16-2015, 11:27 AM
I have/do ride long day rides when I can.(450-600 miles preferably alone on long trips)
That is for a different thread as to why.
Since you don't know how you are going to "feel" om this bike,I would not concern myself with mileage numbers concerning distance traveled.
If you set in your mind,"I need to go 120 miles between stops" for instance,you will fixate on this.
Depending on your mindset this can cause stress and anxiety.
Stress/anxiety causes fatigue.
Each time you travel that distance under stress it gets harder and harder when you are not feeling perfect.

Here is what I do:

It is just what I do.
You and I should ride together as my ideas/habits for rides is almost the same as yours...At my age (75) I'm good for about 150/200 miles a day and that is enough for me.....Ride safe

flat6bagger
05-16-2015, 11:59 AM
Opas
If I get up that way this Summer
I will let you know
Would love to ride with you
I am 58 going on 12

Hornblower
05-16-2015, 12:52 PM
With my ultra-comfortable combination of Madstad, HeliBars, and Ultimate Mid-Rider, riding all day is no problem at all. What I really don't like is riding at night and riding at night in the rain is the worst. I try to avoid that if at all possible.

seadog
05-16-2015, 01:06 PM

I think the break in period was 1st gear, after that I rode it like I stole it. Started with 3 miles on the odometer.

motoman
05-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Number One: Get an Airhawk! (Also Saddlemen makes an excellent gel pad).

Number Two: Get some good earplugs. (earplugstore.com has some good ones)

Number Three: Start early!

Number Four: Get a tinted shield for your helmet, or wear sunglasses in your helmet.

Number Five: Put some bottled water and energy bars in your saddlebags

Number Six: Get your sound system set up, or ear buds, ipod, etc.

You're good to go! 1100 mi is nothing on this bike. Might was well sign up for an Iron Butt award while you're at it!

Sgtjetdrive
05-16-2015, 04:50 PM
Priority number 1 is enjoy the ride. Yes to hydration, protien bars, and dress in layers to meet changing temps. Stop when butt or back tells you to. I. Just rode from central Pa to San Antonio and back using tbese habits. No problems at all for me. Longoest day was 800 miles shortest was 300. 4850 miles later I still love this bike. Now go ride already.

srt8-in-largo
05-16-2015, 09:45 PM
Several of us develop shoulder or back pain after 1 or 2 hundred miles... I'm told Helibars help tremendously.

Honda suggests the former, but not the latter. Vary your speeds for the first few hundred miles... but from there, just start following the regular maintenance schedule, with the first service at 4,000 miles.

Injun Joe
05-17-2015, 11:25 AM
You're getting some great advice it seems to me. I'm almost 60, out of shape, and have never ridden long distances. 400 miles is my comfort zone on my other bikes. 500 pushed. I'm thinking 600-700 should be fairly easy on the F6B and it's amazing enough that I've thought of doing the reverse of your trip -- Fort Collins - Memphis as an iron butt ride just to say I've done one.

Wmorgan2k
05-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Man I love long rides. I just got back from 2100 miles. Took the GoldWing on this trip as I just got my new F6B but on my old F6B did a 2000 mile long mountains run with no issues. I put a taller screen on mine so the wind noise is quieter and it's not as tiring with all the wind. I have no issues going 600-700 miles in a day and still could ride more.

I have learned though to bring a bottle of water with me to stay hydrated. I have the Kury cubby that replaces the lockable glove box and a 16oz water bottle fits perfect (20 will too with a squeeze). I ride to about 150 miles then down the water bottle that way when you have to empty the bikes empty too. Perfect timing. You know it's the little things lol.

Carry the right gear with you. I can't emphasize that enough. When the sun goes down it gets cold, bring the right gear. Just for good measure, bring the right gear. Ride comfortable that's the most important. When it's chilly be warm when it's warm ride cool. It takes up some room but get the good stuff. I HIGHLY recommend a freeze out jacket. They are warm to about 50 degrees by themselves and they pack nice and small. Plus if you put a sweater on over it, since it's thin too, you can ride even cooler with no issues. Bring some gloves, maybe some over pants. Even rain pants work good as over pants when it's cool out. Dual purpose stuff like that.

Get the bag liners they will make your life so much easier, can't express that enough. I used them on my Wing and F6.

Get Highway pegs. The riding position on these bikes is good but will tire your knees out, stretching also moves the pressure around on your bum so you don't get sore. Key is to not get sore, once your there nothing feels comfy. Move around a bit, it's ok.

Bring some good music. Nothing makes the miles go by like some good tunes.

As you'll see most of this stuff is pretty cheap to do, music, warm/cool clothes, bag liners and some hydration. Good to go. Oh and a good windshield I don't care who you are 1000 miles with that 3" screen will wear your ass out lol.

Enjoy it. If you don't you won't want to do it again and if your like me there's no better way to take a road trip them on a motorcycle and there aren't many bikes out there as comfy as ours.

BIGLRY
05-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Man I love long rides. I just got back from 2100 miles. Took the GoldWing on this trip as I just got my new F6B but on my old F6B did a 2000 mile long mountains run with no issues. I put a taller screen on mine so the wind noise is quieter and it's not as tiring with all the wind. I have no issues going 600-700 miles in a day and still could ride more.

I have learned though to bring a bottle of water with me to stay hydrated. I have the Kury cubby that replaces the lockable glove box and a 16oz water bottle fits perfect (20 will too with a squeeze). I ride to about 150 miles then down the water bottle that way when you have to empty the bikes empty too. Perfect timing. You know it's the little things lol.

Carry the right gear with you. I can't emphasize that enough. When the sun goes down it gets cold, bring the right gear. Just for good measure, bring the right gear. Ride comfortable that's the most important. When it's chilly be warm when it's warm ride cool. It takes up some room but get the good stuff. I HIGHLY recommend a freeze out jacket. They are warm to about 50 degrees by themselves and they pack nice and small. Plus if you put a sweater on over it, since it's thin too, you can ride even cooler with no issues. Bring some gloves, maybe some over pants. Even rain pants work good as over pants when it's cool out. Dual purpose stuff like that.

Get the bag liners they will make your life so much easier, can't express that enough. I used them on my Wing and F6.

Get Highway pegs. The riding position on these bikes is good but will tire your knees out, stretching also moves the pressure around on your bum so you don't get sore. Key is to not get sore, once your there nothing feels comfy. Move around a bit, it's ok.

Bring some good music. Nothing makes the miles go by like some good tunes.

As you'll see most of this stuff is pretty cheap to do, music, warm/cool clothes, bag liners and some hydration. Good to go. Oh and a good windshield I don't care who you are 1000 miles with that 3" screen will wear your ass out lol.

Enjoy it. If you don't you won't want to do it again and if your like me there's no better way to take a road trip them on a motorcycle and there aren't many bikes out there as comfy as ours.A man after my own heart +1:yes:

tinkerman
05-18-2015, 04:42 AM
Some good feedback here for a new F6B owner/rider. The most important thing is to test your own limits slowly. After you have a few miles on the this bike or any other and the fit becomes more comfortable you can start to ramp up time and distance if that is important to you. Work some spare time into any trip...you may need it for any number of reasons from bad weather to a flat tire. If you gain on your schedule then you just have some extra time to test the flavour of the local beer.

Like many here, I used to do a lot of big mile ((Km actually) days.....but now on a cross country trip a big day is 600 miles and tootin around locally I probably just do 2 or 3 hrs.....that all depends on what there is going on to stop and see and who is around to stop and talk with.

tink